Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bennie Briscoe vs. Gypsy Joe Harris

vCash

Bennie Briscoe vs. Gypsy Joe Harris

Both Briscoe and Harris had outstanding amateur careers boxing for the
    23rd PAL in North Philly, starting in the early 60's. They started pro at welterweight with a host of other top notch Philly 147 lbers like Kitten Hayward, Percy Manning, Dick Turner, Johnny Knight etc.
    Harris was the Quaker City's biggest box-office attraction with his flamboyant moves and machine gun combinations against Briscoe's steady, straight ahead brutal, body attack. Briscoe at the time was a sort of villain in town and wasn't the fan favorite that he would become under Russell Peltz' direction. Both guys put on additional poundage at the same time and would at anytime during the '60's have made a sensational
    Philadelphia classic match-up. Why the match was never made is a puzzle. A few of us once cornered promoter Lou Lucchese and asked him to put them together and he just winked and said he would try but it never happened.
    Briscoe was trained by Quinzell McCall and Gypsy was handled by Yank Durham and Willie Reddish.
    Anybody want to give their opinion on the outcome of this one that never happened but definately should have.

Banned
    vCash

Re: Bennie Briscoe vs. Gypsy Joe Harris

super tough question because there is no footage of gypsy joe to analyze. legend has it there's a fight out there, but no one has come forward as of yet and made it public. I know I've called curtis cokes and dickie diveronica and they know of no tapes. could gypsy joe have slipped and dodged bennie for 15 rounds?

vCash

I'd take Briscoe. Harris was more a welterweight and I think Bennie would be too strong for him.

vCash

Gypsy Joe was fighting in the low 50's after the second Johnny Knight fight and was boxing in thr high 50's in his last half dozen fights and topped off at 60 for Griffith. Bennie's weight gains were comparable during the same period. A tough one to call for me. I saw them both during this time.
    There was definately SOME footage of Harris from his fights because the three local network affiliates ran post-fight highlights of some of his fights during the sportscasts after the shows both same night and next day. What they did with this footage I don't know but even highlights of Gypsy Joe would be nice to see.

vCash

I think Briscoe would be too strong for Harris.Briscoe by decison.

+ Reply to Thread