Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DE LA HOYA vs. MAYORGA PRE-FIGHT PRESS & PREDICTIONS

Administrator
    vCash

Re: DE LA HOYA vs. MAYORGA PRE-FIGHT PRESS & PREDICTIONS

I am picking DLH, even though I am pulling for Mayorga, because I couldn't give a shit about seeing DLH vs. Floyd.

Tito was coming off a similar layoff and it didn't affect him against Mayorga. DLH isn't exactly Cory Spinks either. I think it'll look rocky for DLH early but he'll start hurting Mayorga around the fifth and coast to a decision.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Back in January of '93 my beloved 49ers lost the NFC championship game to the hated Cowboys. For about two months I moped around & was really depressed about it.

Finally, Mrs. Bucket had had enough & she said to me: "Let me ask you a question: If the 49ers had won that game & then won the Superbowl would your life be any damn different than it is right now?"

A light bulb went off in my mind because she was absolutely correct.

Ever since then I have not put any emotional investment in football teams or boxers. Which means I really don't care who wins tonight.

What I care about is a good fight. & that's where I'm at with every fight. Don't care who wins but I REALLY care that it's a good/great fight. That's what satisfies me. Not pinning my hopes on one guy & if he loses being bummed out.

For me it's the fight itself, not the particular fighters.

Now, as to this fight I can clearly see two different outcomes: 1- Oscar is going to be attacked like he never has been. Even Quartey & Vargas didn't try to attack him like Mayorga will.

& considering the long layoff & his age Oscar could get overwhelmed like Forrest did & stopped within three.

BUT ... Oscar has a great chin & despite all the "Golden Boy" bullshit, he IS a real fighter & a warrior when he has to be. The Vargas fight proved that.

I see Oscar as Corey Spinks with a punch. & if he can survive the initial assault (debatable) & get past three rounds & get his legs under him, Oscar could end up easily outboxing Mayorga & making him look as inept as he did against Spinks. I can also see a late round TKO probably on cuts or swelling.

At any rate I'm not going to make a pick. This is a VERY hard fight to have any certitude about either fighter. & I really can see either one of those two scenarios playing out.

Again, I don't care who wins, I just want an entertaining & compelling fight with no crap like the Floyd-Zab fiasco or an outrageously bad decision.

GorDoom

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GorDoom
    BUT ... Oscar has a great chin & despite all the "Golden Boy" bullshit, he IS a real fighter & a warrior when he has to be. The Vargas fight proved that.
    Couldn't agree more with that statement. For all the pretty boy crap regarding Oscar, the guy is tremendously skilled and has proven that he can suck it up and take some punishment.

I'm just not all that impressed with Mayorga, he's fun to watch, but he lacks the skills of DLH. I just don't see any boxing skills where Mayorga really has the advantage over Oscar. I like Oscar on a late round stoppage, around 8 or 9.

Registered User of Colorful Quips
    vCash

Looks like I'll be turning to the CBZ tonight for the results. Gor, I'm with you, this one is tough. But I think the De La Hoya victor scenario plays out here. He should see Mayorga's punches coming from a mile away. Hell, he should have seen the insults coming, too!
    Shawn

vCash

this has turned into a compelling fight. mayorga, though a classless thug, has done a good job of promoting this fight with his antics. hell, even hap navarro and ron lipton have come out of they're respective home threads to comment on this fight.

to shawn the bleeder...take the manly approach. give your wife some dough to go shopping...order the fight and then grab the bill before she sees it.

i liked oscars comment about going straight to the body when ricardo sticks out his chin. i see oscar outboxing mayorga thru five rounds and then busting him up late. KO 10 or 11. gordooms spinks analogy seems a good one. nobody is as tough as mayorga talks and an early diet of jabs should bring doubts to his mind or what there is of it.
    greg

vCash

Greg

I don't give my wife some money to go shopping but I do grab the bill before she see it , hell she would kill me if she knew how much money I spent on these fricking fights.

Frank B.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

I used to think that a 50 buck price tag was outrageous for a fight card. But associate editor, Katherine Dunn, pointed out to me if you go out on a Saturday night are you going to spend 50 bucks? & as she said you can invite some friends over, split the cost & a few hours of entertainment (hopefully) is cheap at that price.

Plus if it's a great fight you tape it & you have a keepsake that you can watch over the years. When she put it that way I had to agree. Besides there is no use pissing & moaning about the cost because it ain't EVER gonna get any cheaper.

GorDoom

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

AN OSCAR WORTH SEEING

Oscar De La Hoya's pay-per-view fight history:
    Opponent
    Date
    PPV buys
    PPV revenue

Ruelas
    May '95
    $9.9 million

Hernandez
    Sept. '95
    $6.6 million

Gonzalez
    Jan. '97
    $12.1 million

Whitaker
    April '97
    $28.8 million

Camacho
    Sept. '97
    $22.4 million

Rivera
    Dec. '97
    $9.6 million

Chavez II
    Sept. '98
    $23.6 million

Quartey
    Feb. '99
    $25.7 million

Trinidad
    Sept. '99
    $71.4 million

Mosley
    June '00
    $29.5 million

Castillejo
    June '01
    $16.0 million

Vargas
    Sept. '02
    $47.8 million

Campas
    May '03
    $17.5 million

Mosley II
    Sept. '03
    $48.4 million

Sturm
    June '04
    $19.0 million

Hopkins
    Sept. '04
    $56.0 million

Total
    $444.3 million

By Chuck Johnson, USA TODAY
    LAS VEGAS Oscar De La Hoya planned to watch basketball Thursday night, not so much because he's a Los Angeles Lakers fan but to see whether his return to the ring Saturday night at the MGM Grand would have to compete for attention.
    "Depending on the outcome, the Lakers can play Saturday night and that can maybe affect the pay-per-view numbers," said De La Hoya, briefly speaking from the perspective of a promoter but emphasizing that he's only focused on his role as the fighter entering the 12-round bout against WBC super welterweight champion Ricardo Mayorga (9 p.m. ET/HBO PPV, $49.95).

Twenty months since losing on a ninth-round TKO to Bernard Hopkins, who has since become a business associate in Golden Boy Promotions, De La Hoya is banking on a victory over Mayorga to give him redemption.

"I don't think I've been more focused on any other fight," De La Hoya said. "I've trained hard for four months and I'm feeling really ready. This is my last opportunity to win a world title, to have a belt around my waist and to be considered a champion for the people."

The fight was given the green light Thursday when Mayorga, a day after threatening to pull out unless he got more money, agreed to accept his $2 million purse.

"When he fights, he will knock out Oscar De La Hoya," said Don King, who is splitting half of the $4 million he received from Golden Boy Promotions as Mayorga's promoter. "This is Mayorga's chance to gain fame, acclaim and affluence. The opportunity is here. How Oscar took the fight, I will never know."

Mayorga (27-5-1, 22 knockouts) has been prone to fits of wild behavior throughout the media tour leading up to the fight, insulting De La Hoya (37-4, 29 KOs) at every stop. His final shocker came Wednesday at the end of the final pre-fight news conference when he demanded $8 million.

"I felt sorry for him because he was almost crying," said De La Hoya, who's bracing for dirty tactics from his tough, unpredictable and, now apparently angry, opponent. "I'm anti-cipating low blows, punches behind the head, elbows. I feel comfortable that the referee Jay Nady keeps everything under control. But I've prepared myself for everything and anything."

This will be De La Hoya's 17th pay-per-view fight, having generated 9,515,000 buys and $444.3 million in revenue in the other 16. The 1992 Olympic gold medalist views his universal popularity as being as important to his legacy as his greatness as a fighter.

"To do what I've done in this sport is a hundred times tougher than to win the Masters," he said. "I've broken barriers. I've attracted people and sponsors who don't want anything to do with boxing. ... It's really gratifying to think little old me did all this."

De La Hoya previously announced plans for a farewell mega-fight September 16 against a still unnamed opponent, mentioning Floyd Mayweather Jr. as one possibility. But he indicated Thursday that a victory over Mayorga might be enough to end his career.

"My perfect way of hanging up the gloves is with a victory because that's the last impression a lot of fans will have of me, and that will last forever," De La Hoya said. "What I'm trying to do here is bigger than boxing. I understand I'm an example for a lot of people. I don't want people thinking about Oscar on the canvas in his last fight against Hopkins.

"I just feel in my heart I can erase all that by having one more victory. People will see me as a winner. I don't think I could live with myself knowing that in my last fight, I ended up on the canvas knocked out."

vCash

I used to think that a 50 buck price tag was outrageous for a fight card. But associate editor, Katherine Dunn, pointed out to me if you go out on a Saturday night are you going to spend 50 bucks? & as she said you can invite some friends over, split the cost & a few hours of entertainment (hopefully) is cheap at that price.

Plus if it's a great fight you tape it & you have a keepsake that you can watch over the years. When she put it that way I had to agree. Besides there is no use pissing & moaning about the cost because it ain't EVER gonna get any cheaper.

GorDoom
    That might work with your friends but with the kind of friends I have no fricking way, I guess I am going to have to fine new friends.

Frank

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Unfortunately Mr B that happens a lot with my friends too. When I have a fight party I always cook up a mess of food. Tonight, because of Cinco De Mayo we of course are going to gorge on Mexican food - BBqued loin of pork studded with garlic & smoked, then I braise the pork after "Qing" it until the meat is falling off the bone. Made a pot of beans & some home made salsa & it's, TACO TIME, BABY!

Damn! I'm getting hungry now ...

But as to my friends shelling out some dough, I really don't care. Since I'm a boxing writer I get to write off all my PPV's as a business expense. & hey, any of you board members that are also boxing writers keep that in mind, you can write off ALL your boxing expenditures.

GorDoom

vCash

Damn! I'm hungry.

Gor.

You're right about the write off's, when I was in the business I used to write off everything that had to with boxing, I even used to write off just going to watch the fights as a business trip ( Gas, Mileage , eats )

Frank B.
    Last edited by kikibalt; 05-06-2006 at 03:55 PM.

vCash

I just don't know about this one but....20 months is a long time to lay off and come back against a guy like Mayorga; I'm not sure Oscar can do it, truthfully. I think it's potentially dangerous to his long term health. I'd also hate to see him taken out with another liver shot.

I just wonder what the hell DLH really has left in the tank; if he fights a really, really smart fight, and has his legs, he may pull it off, but if he was that smart, he wouldn't be fighting again.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

"but if he was that smart, he wouldn't be fighting again." You may have made a great point there, Thump.

BUT ... Aren't we ALL glad this fight is happening??? This is a compelling fight for a number of reasons. The big one being why is Oscar bothering? He doesn't need to prove anything to anybody.

I certainly don't find Taylor-Wright, Tarver-Hopkins or the proposed double bill of Holy & Roy of any interest at all. Well ... Let me clarify, yes, the results will be interesting but NO WAY are they interesting enough at 50 bucks a pop.

Tonight beside the theatrical drama of Oscar & the Mad Man there's actually a pretty decent undercard. This I'll pay to see. The rest of the PPV's?

I hope they completely tank & send a message to the powers that be that we are not gonna shell out dead presidents for fights & cards that are a total wank.

GorDoom

vCash

Unfortunately Mr B that happens a lot with my friends too. When I have a fight party I always cook up a mess of food. Tonight, because of Cinco De Mayo we of course are going to gorge on Mexican food - BBqued loin of pork studded with garlic & smoked, then I braise the pork after "Qing" it until the meat is falling off the bone. Made a pot of beans & some home made salsa & it's, TACO TIME, BABY!

But as to my friends shelling out some dough, I really don't care. Since I'm a boxing writer I get to write off all my PPV's as a business expense. & hey, any of you board members that are also boxing writers keep that in mind, you can write off ALL your boxing expenditures.

GorDoom
    Wow Steve just reading your post made me feel hungry. Its gone 3 am here in UK and all but me are tucked up in bed. So i am now going to make myself a sandwich. Just wish i could surprise you by jumping on a plane and knocking on your door. You would stare at the little guy standing there with a smile on his face wondering just who in hell it was. Love to see your face change when i said "Fancy feeding old wildhawke from UK"

Hope the golden boy gives that pig a boxing lesson. I know banter helps sell tickets but for me anyway when you bring the other guys family into the picture and insult them then your over the limit.If anyone reads this how many more hours is it till there in the ring gentlemen? I want to stay up to heard the round by round on here if my eyes can stay open that long.
    Thanks

Roberto Aqui

Quote Originally Posted by wildhawke11
    .If anyone reads this how many more hours is it till there in the ring gentlemen? I want to stay up to heard the round by round on here if my eyes can stay open that long.
    Thanks
    Guzman just won a decision over Jauregui and according to boxrec Oscar/Mayorga is next. Then oddly, Ouma/Rubio will close out. Wonder if they got the order mixed up?

Roberto Aqui

Tonight, because of Cinco De Mayo we of course are going to gorge on Mexican food - BBqued loin of pork studded with garlic & smoked, then I braise the pork after "Qing" it until the meat is falling off the bone. Made a pot of beans & some home made salsa & it's, TACO TIME, BABY!
    Excellent. I made the pot o beans, but my pork loin still sits marinading in the fridge because the GrandMother of all gullywhompers roared through here Thursday, and then Mom showed up Friday, and little Missy showed up today. Maybe tomorrow I can smoke the beast up. All I need is about 4 hours of nice weather.

vCash

Thanks very much Roberto

By the way sorry about my spelling LOL
    Last edited by wildhawke11; 05-06-2006 at 10:51 PM.

vCash

Boxing is not a bar fight. If it was DLH would have little chance. Skill and talent is still the name of the game. DLH in a easy win. Yes you heard me, EASY.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

& you were correct, sir. Good call!

GorDoom

Under the cover's of your mother's bed...
    vCash

GorDoom

Whoa..slow down and hold the mayo, I can actually write the PPV's off now? Good God, is that what your telling me?? My accountant is gonna love this one....

by the way bucket, its nice to hear you get enjoyment out of a fight for a change, you've been suffering for something to be excited about for a while now, and its great to hear how much fun you had with this one!
    Last edited by daddymofo; 05-07-2006 at 08:47 AM.

vCash

Bucket, any fights on next Saturday?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234