Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Ring Mazagine's P4P Lineage

vCash

The Ring Mazagine's P4P Lineage

When id The Ring start compiling a p4p list? Is there a lineage of Ring top p4p fighters available?

vCash

Re: The Ring Mazagine's P4P Lineage

The ring puts out a list of the last 30 or so years at the end of the year. But that only goes back to 85 or so.

Banned
    vCash

The list that is being referred to

Is actually a Best Fighter Poll, whihc was started in KO Magazine.

The results for this date back to 1980.

Hawk

Banned
    vCash

The list that is being referred to

Is actually a Best Fighter Poll, whihc was started in KO Magazine.

The results for this date back to 1980.

Hawk

vCash

With the exception of the yearly KO poll that Hawk alluded to, the first time I personally came across a publication's ranking of the best p4p fighters in the sport was when Boxing Illustrated, I think, compiled a detailed ranking (complete with writeups on each) of the top 25 fighters in the sport in one of the their summer of 1981 issues (I think it was their July issue of that year, but I can't remember much of the details besides the magazine being outlined in green with O'Grady, coming off his win over Kenty, being featured on the cover).

I can't recall much of the ranking, but some of the positions still stand out to me for whatever reasons, as I can remember both Cooney & Weaver down around the 22nd & 23rd positions, respectively. Spinks, Saad, and Mustafa all included in the top ten, with Spinks (who had yet beat Eddie) being the highest of the three in 4th or 5th. Jim Watt and Hilmer Kenty, I think were the two that took up their last two positions, and Yoko Gushiken was somewhere around the 14th or 15th spot, which was noteworthy because I can still remember that being the first time I've ever read anything of substance on Gushiken.

Well, I could be wrong on some of that because I haven't seen that magazine in 25 years. But one thing I can remember was that that particular boxing magazine was no doubt one of my most favourite mags from my youth.

vCash

I think Benny Leonard was consider pound for pound the best fighter of all time before Robinson hit the scene in the 40's.

So from 1922 to today

Leonard
    Ross or Cani
    Armstrong
    Robinson,
    I think thats a good start.

Banned
    vCash

Yogi

While trying to find the list you referenced, I did come accross a similar sounding list that appeared in the May 1981 Issue is BiG Book Of Boxing (Robinson vs Leonard on the cover)

1-Gomez
    2-SRL
    3-Hearns
    4-Hagler
    5-Arguello
    6-Gushiken
    7-Mustafa Muhammad
    8-Benitez
    9-Holmes
    10-(tie) Pryor and Sanchez

Best of the rest (in order): Cuevas, Saad, Mamby, Pintor, Kalule, Zapata, Mo Hope, Kenty, Spinks, Pedroza (ouch Eusebio!), Chandler, Watt, Weaver, Oguma and Cooney.

They stated Duran would have made the top 10 becuase at the time of publication, "becuase of the uncertainty of his current status." Had they know whether he was NOT retired, he would have been installed at #6.

Hawk

vCash

It's wonderful that you even took the time to search for that magazine, Hawk, and while the magazine you referenced has enough differences to where I don't believe it's the same one I was remembering, I do very much appreciate the effort made.

Thank you.

P.S. It may have been mainly because of the extensive fantasy fight breakdowns they came up with in each issue, but I used to be a pretty big fan of Big Book (nobody carried The Ring where I grew up), as well as a semi-regular buyer of them.

vCash

The Ring started it's P4P ranking somewhere between may 1989 and january 1990 (there's a gap in my collection just there). Mike Tyson was no. 1 in january 1990.

Banned
    vCash

THor

There was a Hiccup with the Ring being published about that time and it actually went out of circulation for a brief period.

The Jan 1990 issue was the innagural issue of it's rebirth under Stanley Weston who was at the time heading up KO Magazine, World Boxing, etc.

The actual monthly beginning of the Pound for Pound list began with the January 1985 issue of KO magazine dubbed the Dynamite Dozen:

1-Marvin Hagler
    2-Aaron Pryor
    3-Thomas Hearns
    4-Eusebio Pedorza
    5-Micheal Spinks
    6-Donald Curry
    7-Larry Holmes
    8-Wilfredo Gomez
    9-Hector Camacho
    10-Carlos De Leon
    11-Edwin Rosario
    12-Milton MCrory

Hawk

vCash

Hawk

You're right, that explains the gap. I used to buy The Ring religiously every month until 1992, when I moved to Greenland.

So I guess the answer to Rafaels question is, that january 1990 was the first issue of The Ring with a P4P list. Now all that's missing is for someone to go through every issue from january 1990 to trace the lineage of the Ring P4P title

Banned
    vCash

Oy

I'm not that whacky!

I still think that since the writers were the same for Weston's version of the RIng and KO and World boxing, that as far as monthly rankings go, it probably can be traced to KO's Dynamite Dozen which started in 85'.

THat said, When the RIng started the Pound rankings they only did a top 10 vs. KO's top 12, and the rankings in both the divisional and Pound rankings varied ever so slightly. Not sure what the point was with that.

When the RIng took over officially handing out the year end awards, it always bummed me out that what KO had been doing for years, was now swept under the rug. Except for the Best fighter Poll, whihc The RIng took over and kept it's history dating back to 1980.

But World Boxing's and KO's fight and fighter of the year's history were turned into a "Dallas" Dream Sequence. I guess what irks me most is that the Ring gave fighter of the year to ALi and Fight of the Year to Ali Spinks I in 78' vs Holmes and Holmes Norton.

I just would rather KO have kept going as a monthly publication, but understand that they needed to cut back for financial reasons. But I loved the old KO format, much of what the RIng took over.

What the hell am I babbling about?

Did I lose focus AGAIN?

Hawk

+ Reply to Thread