Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tommy Cello of SF Bay Area - 1910s,20s,30s,40s

vCash

Tommy Cello of SF Bay Area - 1910s,20s,30s,40s

Hiya Gents,

I'm helping a friend find more information about his Uncle, Edward Tomasello, who fought as a lightweight in and around the San Francisco Bay Area as Tommy Cello.

I've located his fight record at BoxRec and know the following about him, but would love to be able to find out more.

Tommy Cello fought in the teens and 20s. He retired from boxing in April 1931. His nephews says he quit because a lace from a glove blinded him in one eye, but I've found no reference to that at newspaperarchives.com, it appears he just decided to get out of boxing.

In 1932, he managed several fighters, opened his own gymnasium, I think named, The Athletic Club of San Francisco, at 1052 Geary Street, the gym was formerly operated by Willie Ritchie.

In 1935, he applied for a wrestling permit, listing his location as Redwood City Tommy Cello Athletic Club.

He continued managing fighters at least up until the War.

Any and all info, including pictures, would be great ! His nephew has surprised me with about a dozen old "Knockout" magazines from 1931-35, so I've like to do what I can as thanks in return.

Thanks,
    Cat
    www.maxbaer.org

vCash

Re: Tommy Cello of SF Bay Area - 1910s,20s,30s,40s

Tommy Cello was still active in the game when I was in it, some 50 years ago. At one time he seemed to be involved in the handling of heavyweight Pat Valentino's career.

By the 1950s he had joined forces with fellow bay area pilot Joey Fox, transacting their business out of Apt. 201, at 3665 Scott St., San Francisco, Ca. Phone: PR-5-7020.
    Listed in their stable of fighters were Jim Cartwright, Ellis Brooks, Reuben Hernandez and Walt Robinson.

In his day, Tommy Cello was a leading contender for California State Lightweight honors. A hint of his overall standing could be gleaned from his two consecutive ten round draws, just a few days apart, with the very talented Young Jack Thompson and Jimmy McLarnin. The last bout, held outdoors, I believe was a Willie Ritchie promotion, on short notice.

Cello figured in a historic fight card during the spring of 1931, when 16 four-round bouts were programmed at Dreamland Auditorium, in a benefit for the unemployed women of San Francisco. The card would have lasted into the wee hours, had there not been a total of ten kayoes on the show, several occurring in the first or second round.

That program is singular in that most of the top names in the western fight game were featured in those four round bouts.

hap navarro

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dongee
    Tommy Cello ... hap navarro
    Hello Dear Hap,

You've made a man very happy and very proud about his Uncle. On his behalf, thank you so very much for being you and for sharing all the treasures that are your memories.

Regards,
    Cat

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie's Gal
    Hello Dear Hap,

You've made a man very happy and very proud about his Uncle. On his behalf, thank you so very much for being you and for sharing all the treasures that are your memories.

Regards,
    Cat
    And What Memories!! I just love to read anything Hap has to say, I go back in time myself, but I don't have the experience in the boxing game that my dear friend Hap has, so Hap keep writing.

KiKi

vCash

It's a pleasure, friendly folks.

Glad you enjoy the recall.

The four-round bout that Cello figured in was against Rita Punay.....a Filipino boxer who was often billed as Rito Punay.

regards and thank you.

hap navarro

+ Reply to Thread