Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VARGAS-MOSELY RESULTS & DISCUSSION THREAD 2/25/06

GorDoom

VARGAS-MOSELY RESULTS & DISCUSSION THREAD 2/25/06

I had no intention of buying this lash-up & was perfectly content to watch it next week on HBO. BUT ... my pal, Dogman Tony, (Associate Editor, Lucius Shepard), said he would pay for it if our local CBZ posse could come over & watch it in the Al Bundy Memorial den in my bunker; in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest.

So, per usual, I will post the results immediately upon the conclusion of each fight on the card. If warranted I'll do my best to give regular updates on both the Moseley-Vargas & Mark Johnson's fights.

Please keep all discussion of this card to this thread. Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

GorDoom
    BTW:

If you are not buying the fight - & I can certanly understand why - let me recommend that you watch the 6 hour Sugar Ray Robinson special on ESPN Classic. Check your local listings but it should be running fairly concurrently with tonight's card.

If you are buying it, ESPN is rerunning it tomorrow morning. Check your local listings for the time in your area.

This Robinsn special is definitely MUST SEE TV for any fight fan.

GorDoom

Kurant
    Brock basically dominted an inside fight, scoring an almost scary knockout of Lawrence. He was out on his feet.

2:58 into the 6th.

GorDoom
    It was a surprisingly decent scrap. Brock one punched Ko'd Lawrence with a beautiful left hook.

GorDoom

Daddymofo
    Wow. That was one hell of a knockout!

GorDoom
    After 3 Mark Johnson is behind 2-1 to Gonzales who is starting to walk him down.

GD

GorDoom
    I the 4th Jony knocked him down. I see a real beating about to happen.

GD

BDeskins
    Gonzalez really seems to be the goods. I've seen a couple of his bouts and he looked really good in those and although Johnson is past it at this point in his career, I looked for him to give Gonzalez a tough fight!

GorDoom
    After 7 Jony is pulling away in the scoring & in the 8th he KD's Mark & he made it clear he didn't want to continue. Gonzales vs. Rafael Marquez would be a VERY interesting fight.

GD

GorDoom
    Vargas & Moseley engaged immediately in a controlled way. Shane is definitely outspeeding him with his hands. Shane's round.

GD

GorDoom
    In the 2nd Vargas starts digging hard to the body & wins the round but his left eye looks bad.

GD

GorDoom
    In the 3rd Vargas continues to out muscle him & dig to the body but Shane flashes combos at the end close round but I lean toward Vargas.

Letterman has Mosely ahead 3-0 Shane. I can't see it that way. Vargas' eye is really swelling.

GD

GorDoom
    In the 4th Mosely definitely has slowed down. Vargas is outmuscling him.

Varas round.

GD

GorDoom
    In the the 5th Shane isn't moving anymore & Vargas is landing his lead rights at will. Vargas' round.

GD

HEGrant
    Both guys look semi-shot to me...Mosley looks slow for him and a bit tired...Fernando is plodding forward but seems to be fighting underwater...Vargas looks like he might slowly wear him down...

GorDoom
    6th more of the same Vargas' round.

GD

HEGrant
    Shane looks every bit of 34...he simply has no legs...Vargas nothing spectacular at all but it is clear Shane is slower than ever, has no legs and up till now cannot hurt him...Shane is slapping and not punching...

GorDoom
    In the 7th Vargas continues to outmuscle Shane & he lands some good head shots. Vargas' round. But his left eye is almost closed.

GD

HEGrant
    Vargas taking a beating as his eye is in terrible shape..Shane has best round in a while...even after 8...Vargas getting hit a lot ...cannot see...he needs to land a big punch or Shane needs to flat out run out of energy...

GorDoom
    8th a more even round but at this point Vargas' eye is so bad they may stop it.

GD

GorDoom
    9th the eye is getting grotesque. Vargas can't see Shane's right hands anymore. This is not gonna go more than around or more I believe which is a shame 'cause Vargas has fought a terrific fight.

GD

GorDoom
    9th This can't go on much longer his left eye is completely shut. Now Cortez stops the fight. A real shame 'cause Vargas fought his heart out & really out fought Mosely - but that eye ... Almost Rahman like against Holy the way the side of his head swelled along with the eye.

Surprisingly, a VERY good fight. & even though Shane won he didn't look particularly good.

I'll bet the bunker there's a rematch ...

GD

crold1
    I thought Shane looked fine; Vargas brought his big game. Fortunately for Boxing, two of its most crowd pleasing gave a crowd pleasing show and an ending that really won;t, long term, stop either guy from getting another huge payday

gregbeyer
    i have more respect for fernando vargas that at anytime in his career. i was talking to the bucket right after the fight and mentioned robinson-basilio II. right after that i hear larry merchant saying the same thing.

its is cold and boring in bellingham. i am a boxing whore and bought the fight against my own moral principals. even whores can have a good nite.

after all the gesticulating over two shot fighters. larry merchant said it best...."it's a fight" he was right.

mosely fought the best fight he could at what he says is his last at 154. outmuscled, he showed that he is better than he showed fighting over his best body weight. mayweather had better be paying attention and margarito may well be shitting his pants...tho i doubt it.....i would .

mayweather and margarito aside. i would like to see a rematch. and this time i will not feel such a whore.

this was a tough fight for both men and both proved their metal.

made a cold nite in bellingham a little better.
    greg

Punchdrunk

vargas-Mosley

I enjoyed the fight. Color both guys past their prime, Like Merchant (whom is not one of my favorites) said, this was a fight. Kudos to Vargas for bringing his A-game, and kudos to Mosley for his performance against a bigger, stronger, and younger guy. Neither man may still be a world -beater anymore, however for my vote , they both delivered the goods tonight. I was entertained.
    Gary

jyoungfan2

fight

thanks for the updates Gor

Kurant

Re: fight

Mosely is still lightning quick. If he heads down to 140, Floyd and anyone else down there should be afraid. He's going to be bigger and stronger then any of them.

As for Vargas, He fought well. I thought he outfought Mosely most the night. Was the aggresssor, I thought he was ahead 5-4 at the time.

Good fight, I was entertained.

GorDoom

JYoung:

You're more than welcome. I consider it part of the CBZ's mandate to cover fights for the board. Especially the PPV's. Some I won't/can't buy but I arrange for one of our writers - almost always, CBZ stalwarts, Diggity or Greg Beyer, to cover because I realise there are lot's of folks that can't buy it; not to mention our overseas boxing bretheren who simply don't have it available to them.

The reason I make sure this gets done is Arguello Pryor I. That fight was back in Nov. '82, eons before the internet. I was a c-hair from flat broke but me & Mrs. Bucket, on a night that was damn cold & pouring rain walked & took buses all over town trying to find a bar that was showing the fight.

We of course had a pop in every bar we stopped in but never found one that had the fight ... It was incredibly frustrating! - though me & the Mrs. ended up having a helluva good time that lasted well beyond sunrise ...

But I digress ... Anyways, I have never forgotten the incredible frustration of missing out on any information on what turned out to be one of boxing's all-time MEGA FIGHTS ... & that's why as long as there is a CBZ board I will make sure the BIG fights get covered for those frustrated souls that can't get it.

& truthfully & I don't tend to be a particularly humble guy - I feel lucky & priviledged to be in a position to provide this service for all the hard core guys & gals of our beleagured but beloved sport.

GorDoom

jyoungfan2

Just wanted to let you know its appreciated. I work nights a lot and miss many a fight. I just wanted to thank everyone who takes the time to post results that they are read and appreciated.

Roberto Aqui

All I've seen is the brutal KO Brock came up with. As the poor guy was falling back his tits were flopping all around and for a moment I thought it Toney! I heard he needed oxygen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast