Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Briggs- Ibragimov Card Results & Discussion 6/2/07

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Briggs- Ibragimov Card Results & Discussion 6/2/07

CBZ stalwart, Zev, has volunteered to cover tonight's card for us - which we should appreciate because I don't see this PPV setting any records for buys.
    So once again, thanks Zev for your yeoman like efforts for this board.

Per usual please keep all discussion of this card to this thread. Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

vCash

Re: Briggs- Ibragimov Card Results & Discussion 6/2/07

Good job Zev! I am still reflecting on whether or not to buy this PPV -- it is so unbelievable that this is actually a PPV! WTF? I'm visiting my folks, and I figure having to put up with the nagging entitles me to one PPV card but seriously....

vCash

Thank you sir.

vCash

Good evening everyone.

The fight is about to start. I watched some of the undercard fights. Awful stuff, can't believe this is a ppv. Unbelievable!

Referee is Eddie Cotton

Round One

They start slowly, Briggs misses with wild right hand. Lots of posturing. Slugfest develops halfway through round. Briggs seems to stagger Ibragimov, not hurt though. Briggs round.

vCash

Round Two

Slow start once again. Crowd is starting to boo. Briggs throws his first punch at halfway point of round. Wow, nothing is happening. I'm not sure that either fighter landed a punch the entire round. Even round due to incompetence.

vCash

Round Three

Ibragimov lands a jab. They trade punches, Ibragimov gets better of it. Again, nothing happens, crowd starts to boo. This is horrible stuff. Ibragimov's round, but hardly anything landed all round.

vCash

Round Four

Ibragimov backs Briggs up but doesn't land anything. Ibragimov lands a left hand. Zzzzzzzzzzzz. They trade with 20 seconds left, not much lands. Ibragimov's round because he landed at least one punch.

vCash

Round Five

I wish I could describe some action, but there is none. Ibragimov flurries not hitting much, may have landed a couple lefts. Crowd boos some more. Ibragimov seems to be throwing more, gaining confidence. Ibragimov's round, easily.

vCash

Sounds like I made the right decision -- enjoying your posts though Zev -- good man!

vCash

Round Six

Ibragimov lands a couple of left hands. Briggs not doing much of anything. Big left by Ibragimov, Briggs shakes his head. Another left lands by Ibragimov to end the round. Ibragimov's round.

vCash

Round Seven

They trade early, nothing landing. Briggs lands hard right hand after jab. Ibragimov lands combination, backs Briggs up. Briggs looks tired. Not much happening once again as round closes. Ibragimov's round.

vCash

Round Eight

Hard right hand to start round for Briggs. Combination by Ibragimov followed by right hand by Briggs. Briggs lands a couple of jabs. Briggs round but very close.

vCash

Round Nine

More booing for non action. Ibragimov lands a couple of left hooks at halfway point. Ibragimov lands another left hand and backs Briggs into corner. Seemed to hurt Briggs towards end of round with yet another left hook. Ibragimov's round very easily.

vCash

Round Ten

First minute comes and gos with no punches landed. Ibragimov lands left and gets pushed down. No knockdown. They trade and Briggs lands a left hook. Zzzzzzzzzz. Ibragimov's round but not many punches landed by either man.

vCash

Round Eleven

Zzzzzzzzz, this is brutal. More booing. Halfway through and I don't think a punch has landed. Even round because I don't think a punch landed from either fighter.

vCash

Round Twelve

More booing. Ibragimov lands glancing right hand . I'd be happy to never see Briggs in a boxing ring ever again. Last round, behind on points and needing a knockout, and he's hardly thrown a punch all round. Pathetic. Ibragimov's round. Thank god I didn't pay for this garbage.

vCash

The Decision

Unainamous decision for Sultan Ibragimov. Scores are 119-109, 117-111, 115-113. Can't believe someone had it 115-113, Briggs hardly landed a punch all fight. I wouldn't be surprised if stats show that he didn't land more than 25 punches.

vCash

I told everybody Briggs has zero heart.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1
    I told everybody Briggs has zero heart.

You gave him too much credit .

vCash

Even though we still have 4 HW champs post-Lennox, this is the first time all 4 guys (Chagaev, Ibragimov, Klitschko, and Oleg/Peter have been fairly exciting fighters, in contrast to Byrd, Ruiz, Valuev.

And the best part? King has NOBODY.

vCash

Haglar, As sad as that may sound. It's true!

Banned
    vCash

Chagaev-Valuev and now Ibragimov-Briggs . . . makes you want to reconsider the "bigger is always better" axiom, doesn't it?

Shannon's asthma excuse will come in handy again, I guess, but I have to wonder if it's that much a factor in his performances, why is he allowed in the ring at all? PeteLeo.

vCash

I don't get hardly any ppv's anymore due to not wanting to spend the money, but if I were rich, I still probably wouldn't waste my time on most of them. Sad state of affairs.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Ibragimov Shows up to Fight; Briggs Doesn’t and a New WBO Champ is Crowned
    By Thomas Gerbasi from Max Boxing

The short and undistinguished heavyweight title reign of Shannon Briggs ended with a whimper Saturday night, as Sultan Ibragimov lived up to the old adage ‘Who dares wins’ by outboxing a mummy-like Briggs over 12 dreadful rounds at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall to win a unanimous decision and the WBO belt.

“I fought and I won, but I don’t like how I looked,” said Ibragimov, who should be commended for his honesty, but at least he attempted to fight while Briggs just walked around the ring aimlessly for 36 minutes in a supposed defense of the title he won from Sergei Liakhovich last November.

Scores were 119-109, 117-111, and 115-113 for Ibragimov, who improves to 21-0-1 with 17 KOs. Briggs falls to 48-5-1 with 42 KOs.

Briggs looked for the finisher with the first punch he threw, missing with a wide right haymaker. After that punch drew oohs and aahs, the pace became more measured as Briggs stalked and Ibragimov pawed with his jab. Briggs did jar Ibragimov with a right to the head with a little over a minute left, but the Russian weathered the follow-up attack and the crowd quieted down again.

Ibragimov went on the offensive early in the second with quick 1-2s, but after these came up empty the two went back to looking at each other from a distance, much to the chagrin of the booing fans, who thought they were paying to see a heavyweight championship fight. Blow by blow commentator Barry Tompkins summed up the action perfectly: “you could count the punches in this round on an abacus.”

The dismal pace continued in the third, with Ibragimov earning him the round by the mere effort of holding his gloves up and throwing a few insignificant punches.

The challenger finally started landing more consistently with his left hand in rounds four through six as Briggs mounted no offensive response whatsoever other than throwing a few jabs and moving forward angrily as if he was actually going to throw some serious punches. But it was all a mirage.

Possibly realizing that he may have given away the first half of the fight, Briggs came out with a purpose in the seventh round and landed a right, but by the second minute, Ibragimov backed the champion up with a big right hand of his own and put a halt to the Brooklynite’s offensive intentions.

Briggs opened up the eighth with his best punch of the fight, a right hand that sent sweat flying from the head of Ibragimov. The Russian shook it off though and doubled up his efforts to land with his lefts and rights, much to Briggs’ chagrin, and resumed control of the bout.

By round nine, the question wasn’t who was winning the fight, it was whether Ibragimov could simply stay upright for the final four rounds and collect his belt from Briggs, who showed no desire to remain champion and even got rocked late in the round by a left to the head from the former Olympic Silver medalist.

Ibragimov eagerly engaged with the tired Briggs at times in round ten, even pushing the bigger man down to the canvas, delighting the partisan crowd.

The action slowed to a crawl again in the 11th, and the 12th opened with the fans booing the lack of action. Briggs, hoping to repeat his last round stoppage of Liakhovich last year, stalked, but didn’t even try to throw the home run punch that would save his crown, and if anyone was fighting as if he needed the round, it was the soon to be new champion, who may not have put on a thriller, but did more than enough to win the belt.

Unfortunately, we’ve come to expect more than that from those who fight for what used to be the most prestigious title in the sports world.

In the co-feature, local hero Shamone Alvarez thrilled the hometown fans by gutting out a 12 round unanimous decision over Jose Luis Cruz to win the NABO welterweight title.

Scores were 116-110, 119-108, and 117-109 for Alvarez.

The fight was sloppy in the early going, not surprising with the awkward, all head and elbows style of Cruz. Alvarez’ superior speed allowed him to pull ahead in the first half of the fight, and a point deduction from Cruz for a low blow in round four didn’t hurt either.

Cruz kept coming though and scored effectively to the body, but it didn’t slow down the Atlantic City native, whose movement kept the Mexican off-balance in the first half of the fight.

Another point deduction from referee Harvey Dock in the seventh really put Cruz behind the eight ball, and ‘Chelin’ responded with some of his best work of the night in round eight and also scored well in the ninth, where a clash of heads caused a cut over Cruz’ left eye.

The action really heated up in the tenth, with both fighters having their moments, but Alvarez resumed control in round 11 and finished strong en route to the decision win.

With the win, Alvarez improved to 18-0 with 11 KOs. Cruz falls to 32-3-2 with 28 KOs.

Germany’s Robert Stieglitz (29-1, 18 KOs) bounced back from the first loss of his pro career, decisioning New Jersey’s Marlon Hayes (23-7, 12 KOs) over eight fairly uneventful rounds fought in the light heavyweight division.

Scores were 77-75 twice and 79-73 for Stieglitz, who was stopped in three rounds by Alejandro Berrio in March in a bout for the vacant IBF super middleweight title. After a 20-0 start, Hayes has now gone 3-7 in his last 10.

In a junior welterweight opener, Ibragimov stablemate Habib Allakhverdiev improved to 4-0 (2 KOs) with a four round disqualification win over Roberto Acevedo (1-2-1, 1 KO). Acevedo was given the hook by referee Lindsay Paige for holding with 12 seconds left in a fight that also saw Allakhverdiev docked a point for a blatant headbutt in the final round.

vCash

Briggs- Ibragimov Card Results & Discussion 6/2/07

Banned
    vCash

I actually went to the fight. scalped a ticket for 20$. felt sorry for people who spent 300$. Briggs is done. hardly threw a punch the whole fight. I joined in the booing. even in the last round, behind on all cards, hardly a punch. then he has the nerve to raise his hand like he won after the bell. he was done by the third round. too much bulk for his heart and lungs to move around. It also looked like he was afraid of every punch the russian threw. Oh well, briggs has 5 losses and I've been to 3 of them (4 if you count the foreman gift). saw glen johnson, john brown, vitali klitschko, michael moorer, and pernell. Joe Piscapo was also there, very nice guy.

vCash

It looks like Ibragimov is going to be the savior of the division, he called out Calvin Brock and Evander Holyfield at the post fight press conference, can wait to see those matchups on PPV

Banned
    vCash

Who would ever have imagined that one day we'd have four heavyweight champions, three of them would have last names ending in "v," and two of them would be southpaws?
    It just gets curiouser and curiouser. PeteLeo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeteLeo
    Who would ever have imagined that one day we'd have four heavyweight champions, three of them would have last names ending in "v," and two of them would be southpaws?
    It just gets curiouser and curiouser. PeteLeo.
    A very possible fight to be made, at least by early next year, is Ibragimov-Chagaev. I think it's a fairly even matchup, and that their styles and tendencies would mesh well to be an action-packed fight. I want to start seeing the younger Eastern opponents fight each, and stop fighting the U.S. guys from the 90s now in their mid 30s (I'd be happy to never see Rahman, Austin, Holyfield, Toney, Briggs, Ruiz etc. on TV ever again)

Administrator
    vCash

I heard Brock was less than spectacular on the card...getting floored early. If he keeps it up he could be well on his way to be the next Dominick Guinn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast