Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 70 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 2100

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

Thanks so much Ron - I tried to predict your answer a bit as I got this list before I asked the question - Ron's Refin' Record.

Of course I was wrong and I'm glad you gave me another name to check out!

Was the main reason you stopped reffing due to being frozen out by the in-crowd?

And I have to ask - What did Roy say to you prior to stopping Bryant Brannon?

Let me for one say if Ricky Hatton doesn't take you on as a trainer, he should DEMAND you ref his fights - It was a pleasure to watch that fight and see fighters actually given the opportunity to "punch out" of an exchange on the inside and let them work it out rather than a Nady-esque quick break.

vCash

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=-2TwtWhZmHs

Couldn't find the fight you were the ref for mate, but here's a quick destruction by Telesco coming off a white wash at the hands of Roy Jones Jnr in his previous fight against a Thomas Cameron.

Josh

Chris Nagel

Hi Ron,

I've been going to Joe Byrd's gym since the beginning of October and it's an exhilarating experience every time that I go there. The guy's there are great. It's a small crowd, many of them are as green as me, but they all work like machines and love what they're doing.

It's been especially refreshing talking with Joe Byrd, he really knows his boxing since he's been coaching fighters for years and was a boxer himself. A week ago when I was talking to him, I brought up the fact that Bob Foster had a clever left hook and soon the conversation steered into his fights, particularly his bout with Joe Frazier. He then tells me he was a sparring partner for Joe, and then begins to describe to me what it was like. I love that guy. I'll continue to pick his brain when I need help, as well as enjoying talking boxing with him.

So far my training has been going well. My arms are getting into the shape to be able punch out like rapid fire pistons, and running windsprints is building the much needed fuel tank that I'll take with me when I begin to compete. Sparring is still big learning curve for me. My main sparring partner is a middleweight with the legs of a thoroughbred. He told me he's been in track since he was a little kid. I'm a welterweight, but I'd love to able to move around the ring as fast as he can, at least quick enough to catch him more often.

I just wanted to tell you that everything is progressing well, and that I've really taken to the training. I've been thinking a lot about how before you said that Carter could will himself strong. Yesterday when I was hitting the punch-shield I poured every ounce that I had into my punches for a quick clip that I didn't know that I had in me. It won adulation of a lot of the guys, but I don't think anyone could've been more pleased than me.

As I see it, when you walk into a gym to train, you're faced with two options, you can train just hard enough, or as hard as you can possibly go. I've come to appreciate the latter.

Anyways you keep blasting Ron, and I look forward to talking with you again.

All the best,
    Chris

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by doomeddisciple
    Thanks so much Ron - I tried to predict your answer a bit as I got this list before I asked the question - Ron's Refin' Record.

Of course I was wrong and I'm glad you gave me another name to check out!

Was the main reason you stopped reffing due to being frozen out by the in-crowd?

Reply:

I will give you an answer which is public knowledge already and although it seems lengthy it is brief as to what I have against the persons responsible for this blackballing under the color of law.

I am a lifetime civil rights award winner and an N.A.A.C.P. award winner and a decent person. I have asked Melvina Lathan not as an African American woman but as the Chairman of the NYSAC to put a stop to this ongoing unethical prevention of my license renewal.

Too many people responsible who are still there which is hard to fathom may be influencing her to do otherwise. If I was in charge I would never stand for what was done as it is so obvious it is insulting to anyone's intelligence to claim otherwise.

Depending on what the NYSAC does now, this will go to Fed court with defendants from A-Z with what we have.

I had won a lawsuit V a local police department where I was a member, for speaking out against their extremely racist behavior to drive all minorities out of their venue by the worst kinds of police harassment, in addition to drawing swastikas on my property and being inexorably connected to KKK members.

I won the case when they settled after one day of my testimony in Federal Court in White Plains NY. I won 3 more Federal civil rights suits connected to the multiple reprisals from the same friends of the NYSAC administration attempting to create and tamper with phony cases which ended in disaster for them.

Several local police who were friends of the defendanats who had a direct friendship with NYSAC members who lived in the area and worked with them and knew them and a local judge socially, threatened to make sure I never referee again in retaliation.

They made this statement to the editor and publisher of a local newspaper who they thought would remain silent. The editor and his wife came forth and told me the truth. The friends of the NYSAC members who were involved in trying to have me beaten up, lost the fight, then the case, then they tried to have me attacked again this time by 3 bigger and younger men.
    I hit one of them while I was driven off the road, being grabbed and held to be beaten, and my one punch hurt the guy. The responding female cop who had a personnel complaint previously made against her by me and her other female cop friend who was Russo's pal did not charge the attackers who had a coke spoon on their neck but charged me and tampered so badly with the case the Interanl Affairs had to step in and investigate them. The attackers fled the scene and were not heard from for over two hours because they were high and admitted they did not go to a hospital but to a diner.

This time one high ranking member of the NYSAC's best friend the local judge was not assigned to the case, but it was arranged for him to come out of a sickbed with a metal halo wired into his skull like Paz after the judge had a DWI accident, to hear my case of self defense against 3 younger and stronger men who were recruited to beat me up. They filed 4 phony charges against me and 3 had to be dismissed but the one punch in self defense.

The disbarred judge allowed every atrocity in the world to take place in this little courtroom the least of which was shutting off the stenographer to prevent any successful appeal, allowing the NYSAC's friend to tape sequestered testimony and play it for waiting witnesses down the hall, and getting caught, then letting the same cop go without charging her, preventing me from telling the jury anything of what happened to the point the newspapers wrote it up saying he shut me down not allowing the truth to be told of what happened.

During the case the NYSAC's pal yelled at the judge in front of me and others in the hallway when the judge was forced to ask her about a hidden tape recorder on her person in front of us in chambers, she jumped up out of the chair ran outside yelling at him, that he better watch it or she would bring up the judge's DWI accident, domestic disputes etc. I was stunned, and reported it to judicial conduct, who later disbarred him for theft and dishonesty as stated. I have all the newspaper articles. He can never be a judge again.

He also let the friend of Russo the local female cop to stand up in the audience during summation and yell to the court in front of many, "Don't listen to them, this guy is evil." They go one misdemeanor conviction out of it with this tampering and not permitting me to tell the truth about anything that happened.

One attorney who was watching from the audience jumped up and yelled to the judge, "Tim, Jesus christ what are you doing." The judge as I said was later disbarred when caught stealing. The NYSAC used this misdemeanor they created as a reason for blackballing me, although they had promised to do so before the creation of the very case their friends were involved in up to their necks.

If Melvina Lathan, who knows all this now from written documents sent to her by me, allows another license denial along with the other new NYSAC member or two then they will be part of this in full.

If she lets the blackballing go on anymore blaming this scurrilous misdemeanor, it will only help me in Federal Court. I hope not but I do not see anything good or just or of any concern coming from them while my application has been sitting there for two months or so.

Tony Russo had been the director of security for a local mall and knew the local police involved as well all as he did the other NYSAC members who all lived near him and have been involved in this. Others who shilled for the Mercantes were from Long Island NY, Stevens et al.

The editor of the newspaper out here confirmed this threat from the frirend of the NYSAC to make sure I never referee again years ago made to him prior to any false charges filed against me. He confirmed this again this year and will testify to this. I am sure a federal jury will clearly see they made good on their threat with the very phony court cases in their own venue they threatened to create before they existed.

We also will find out if the NYSAC allowed Russo to be employed after he was allegedly convicted and or involved in a Federal kidnapping case years before.
    I have now lost 11 years of my referee carreer because of them.

I also have evidence that Larry Hazzard Sr called my home and told me that the NY boys were going to ease me out and not use me anymore because of me speaking out prior to them ever denying my license renewal and prior to any phony low misdemeanor charge existing.

Also that he would go along with it to get work for his guys in NY. How this was done between NY and NJ will also have to come out in court if the denail of my license continues. The NJSACB under him never answered one of my letters to them in 10 years and that claim by others can be proven. A state agency cannot do that and not remain culpable.

Remember once again that this call was made and documented before any false charges or any phony misdemeanor was obtained for throwing one punch in self defense against three men who attacked me while I was riding with a woman who was the former girlfriend of one of the attackers and whose sister had dated a married NYSAC member who was very jealous.

As you can see several combined factions acting together for different agendas caused all this and are culpable. Refereeing big fights on HBO, Pay per View and in national telecasts are looked upon as belonging to the friends of the NYSAC who had staked out that territory even if they were killing fighters and ruining fights.

When a better referee comes along and was given a chance by Floyd Patterson, that is when they tried to destroy me and get it back for themselves as they felt they owned it through their friends even if they were not there anymore.

First the individuals responsible for initiating the DLH v Leija referee assignment protest with articles and press conferences were exposed to have illegally and unethically approached the cornermen and promoter while maligning me publicly and violating me with public slander and public libel. I have retained all that evidence. Every baseless word and print of it.

They wanted to take Floyd Patterson's assignment of me away and get it for the Mercantes and or Tony Perez and one other NY referee. When I protested this several factions went into action to silence me and blackball me in NY and NJ. while "Making deals for themselves."

How and why this was attempted is a case winner in my opinion and smacks of the worst scurrilous tampering with baseless reasons of motivation.

This aspect of it will be dealt with in court if my license is again denied and each person who did this will be sued unless I am shown they tried to put a stop to this.

I am confident the exclusionary rule will not be a procedural hurdle because the chronology of how this was done to me and why is admissable under Federal law. My attorney agrees as do other Fed Civil rights suit experts.

When I exposed more of it, they arranged created and tampered with several court cases, tampered with a crooked local judge who was later disbarred for theft and dishonesty and was and is best friends with a NYSAC member who is still there, literally going into his restaurant and cooking in his kitchen with him. Furthermore in two separate cases where I was attacked, both cases had a strong nexus to NYSAC members who knew both attackers (Who got the hell knocked out of them in self defense.)

The specifics of the case and the connection to the NYSAC members I am sure will infuriate any impartial jury as to how this was done to an innocent person.

The now deceasaed Tony Russo and his friends who are still there were heavily involved with others in this and the NYSAC under Stevens continued the blackballing with a new plea for justice from me to Melvina Lathan.

If necessary a State Senator and another lawyer will be brought in as to a meeting which took place between Russo, his friend presently on the NYSAC right now and me, and everything the NYSAC did and was exposed for afterward involving the character of these people while on the job.

Additionally how they got it, and their involvment in blackballing me and my unanswered requests for ethical intervention to stop this from all of them and the assigning of the worst officals regardless of their performances.

Unless you pay or help these people with money or favors you do not work at the NYSAC and that is how these clowns got their jobs and were exposed for it in the NY post at one time by Jack Newfeld.

Being a good referee or the best referee means nothing including giving assignments to refs who caused ring deaths. We will see how a Fed jury reacts to the films of who they have been using from NY and NJ and mine.

However,as to any requests for justice to Melvina Lathan, it seems that the same people are working with her now, so it comes down to someone putting a stop to it or continuing it into a messy court case with the estate of Russo involved and his history with others taking questionalbe trips, fixing weighins, and trying to silence me regarding other issues by making good on the threats of their friends to make sure I never referee again. Look at what they did to poor Joey Gamache, same people. He is suing them and I could very well be a witness, although I have been threatened in the past to remain silent by Russo and I refused. They continued to misuse the agency to blackball me. Will Melvina Lathan continue it, who knows if she is being hoodwinked by these guys who are not going to admit what they did.

I could not have been more polite to Melvina Lathan in my communications AND I DO MEAN POLITE, FAIR AND RESPECTFUL asking for my license to be renewed without this crap of we have too many people now BECAUSE I had seniority that has been illegally removed and I am not someone new applying, I wanted my status restored which I earned long ago and was removed insidiously. I am in good shape and refereed every day in the gym and 6 years ago in Vermont. I could handle a title fight now with no problem whatsoever.

So we are waiting to see. If my application was just handed over by the NYSAC to the unaware Asst. Atty General who deals with the Article 78 and no one stopped this injustice, then let them all be defendants sitting in Federal court. I will ask my attorney to bring in the former Inspector General Joe Spinelli who knows how unfair this was and how he tried to stop it and the present Atty General whose other members were told about this injustice long ago.

If it was just fluffed off by the new NYSAC and no one will help, then the hell with it I want it in court and not just the Article 78 petition.

This is all over a $50 license and the present Commission putting a stop to ruining an innocent person's boxing life in the most unfair way imaginable.

And I have to ask - What did Roy say to you prior to stopping Bryant Brannon?

Reply: Prior to the fight at the rules meeting Brannon and his cornermen made a big point of not stopping the fight too soon if he was wobbled. I told them I don't take direction from any corner and would use my best judgment as a former fighter who knew both their styles to give each man the best chance to continue without injury. All agreed that they wanted to fight it out without any premature intervention.

When Jones had him on the ropes before the final stoppage, the films show clearly that he was missing shots by inches which I could see but different people at ringside could not. He mumbled through his mouthpiece "Ok?"
    and I saw Brannon was wobbled but still alert so I could not stop it without another Roy Jone Jr v Merqui Sosa melee when the ref jumped in too soon.

It was a title fight, Brannon wanted to go and I said Finish up. He did and when clipped with the last left hook it was over. When watching the films again and again you can clearly see Roy missing the shots on the ropes and to stop it then for the title was the wrong time. I came in very quick when he clipped him and that was that.

Let me for one say if Ricky Hatton doesn't take you on as a trainer, he should DEMAND you ref his fights - It was a pleasure to watch that fight and see fighters actually given the opportunity to "punch out" of an exchange on the inside and let them work it out rather than a Nady-esque quick break.

Reply: Thank you Sir, much appreicated.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel
    Hi Ron,

I've been going to Joe Byrd's gym since the beginning of October and it's an exhilarating experience every time that I go there. The guy's there are great. It's a small crowd, many of them are as green as me, but they all work like machines and love what they're doing.

It's been especially refreshing talking with Joe Byrd, he really knows his boxing since he's been coaching fighters for years and was a boxer himself. A week ago when I was talking to him, I brought up the fact that Bob Foster had a clever left hook and soon the conversation steered into his fights, particularly his bout with Joe Frazier. He then tells me he was a sparring partner for Joe, and then begins to describe to me what it was like. I love that guy. I'll continue to pick his brain when I need help, as well as enjoying talking boxing with him.

So far my training has been going well. My arms are getting into the shape to be able punch out like rapid fire pistons, and running windsprints is building the much needed fuel tank that I'll take with me when I begin to compete. Sparring is still big learning curve for me. My main sparring partner is a middleweight with the legs of a thoroughbred. He told me he's been in track since he was a little kid. I'm a welterweight, but I'd love to able to move around the ring as fast as he can, at least quick enough to catch him more often.

I just wanted to tell you that everything is progressing well, and that I've really taken to the training. I've been thinking a lot about how before you said that Carter could will himself strong. Yesterday when I was hitting the punch-shield I poured every ounce that I had into my punches for a quick clip that I didn't know that I had in me. It won adulation of a lot of the guys, but I don't think anyone could've been more pleased than me.

As I see it, when you walk into a gym to train, you're faced with two options, you can train just hard enough, or as hard as you can possibly go. I've come to appreciate the latter.

Anyways you keep blasting Ron, and I look forward to talking with you again.

All the best,
    Chris
    Reply: Hi Chris,

thanks for writing me to let me know how you are doing. You must be some animal by now. Very good dedication, very proud of you. Where is this gym?

You certainly have the right training ethic down.

I boxed an exibition with Joe at Rahway prison way back when and we have done some nice things together over the years which I have on film when he visits me. He was some fighting machine and the way he took out Foster is something I will never forget as I saw it live from the Cobo hall arena later named after Joe Louis. Man did he break Bob in half.

Foster fought a guy who was in the NJ Golden Gloves with me at one time and another guy who I boxed with every day a former 3 time NJ GG champ named Wild Bill Hardney who was up in camp all the time with me and Rubin Carter. The other guy was the extremely muscular Harold TNT Caroll.

When I finally met Foster and was in his presence, he had a few drinks with me in Nevada and put his arm around me and treated me like an old friend.
    He made me feel great and I really liked him. I will never forget seeing him fight live against Allen Thomas, Archie Moore's protege and blasting him out in one round on TV. The rest is history.

I never thought in my wildest dreams while sitting in the first row ringside at Frazier v Bonavena I at MSG that Joe would cross my life path in so many good ways.

You sound like you are in great shape, try to post some pictures and keep letting me know how you are doing.

The guy I trained from England for 5 weeks this summer who came over here, just won his first title in England and is Midland Champion, Glenn Marcus Randle. I am extremely proud of him and that what we trained to do came true.

Most rewarding.

I will be getting an autograph from you in the years to come I think.

best,
    Ron

vCash

Ron -

Your story is just crushing mate, I appreciated your candid answer. Disgusting isn't the word for your treatment.

I would like to propose that at the very least the Cyberboxing Zone crew file a petition to Ms Lathan to demand to have your licence reinstated.

As far as I'm concerned that is just the worst kind of marginalisation in a sport where the refereeing more than any other sport DEMANDS a transparent and robust ethical policy in regards to how it is officiated.

It's about the fact there are athlete's lives at stake, not what steak dinner these people can buy one another for an assignment.

Mate, I get mad just thinking about this sort of stuff. If there is anything we as a board can do to support you or even as an individual in terms of writing to Ms Lathan please let me know, I'll be at the front of the pack, the first signature on the petition, whatever.

vCash

Thats very kind of you and Mike Delisa himself was my attorney on this matter filing the original article 78 petition. Unfortuantely the orginal was not filed within a specific time frame. It was done again by my present attorney.
    Mike along with others offered to help. Boxing champions, boxing historians, boxing writers all wrote on my behalf and I thank you once again.

Now we will see what the "New" NYSAC does although those old members responsible are still there. It is a matter of who stands strong and clear to do the right thing.

vCash

Well keep us informed Ron. If there's anything I can do in any small way please let me know.

Josh

Banned
    vCash

Did you guys hear that Toby Gibson committed suicide? Quite a shocking development to me. Didn't Greene and Draculich also take their own lives? PeteLeo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeteLeo
    Did you guys hear that Toby Gibson committed suicide? Quite a shocking development to me. Didn't Greene and Draculich also take their own lives? PeteLeo.
    Vic Draculich is fine to my knowledge. I've met him and my son knows his daughter, very good people. I heard about Toby and I am shocked, I met him also and it is very sad, I do not know why he did this.

The other ref who committed suicide I traveled with several times and that was Mitch Halpearn. As to Greene you might be right on that.

What the hell is going on? Just horrible stuff.

Banned
    vCash

Yeah, Halpearn was the other man I was thinking of. He was fairly young, wasn't he? I forget Greene's first name, but he worked a lot of big Vegas shows in the Seventies and Eighties, including Mancini's title win over Frias (?). PeteLeo.

Banned
    vCash

That should have said Richard Greene. He also handled the fatal Mancini-Kim match, and at the time of his death I wondered if that result might have influenced him in some way.

I would imagine that, as the people in charge of the action, you refs must feel the possibility of such an outcome and your responsibility very heavily every time you step into the ring. I could never deal with everything that refereeing entails. PeteLeo.

vCash

Yes, Richard Greene and Mitch. Really tragic.

I understand fully.

If there is a history of fighter's getting hurt by a ref's mistakes the Commisioner should sit them down. Many cannot fathom why Mercante Jr was allowed or would even want to continue to referee after fights like Whitiker v Huertado, Charles Murray v Reggie Green and Jones v Scotland.

Really bad mistakes in judgment that cannot be reversed for poor Scotland.

Does anyone know why Toby Gibson did this?

My prayers go out to his family.

vCash

Ron, if I remember Mitch Halpern was a pretty good ref. Do you know the circumstances of his death?

vCash

It was over a realtionship with a woman I believe where he became despondent, at least I remember reading something along those lines.
    Very sad.

vCash

I feel obligated to make a comment on this because of what I know in my heart about this dreadful incident that helped to ruin the life of Meldrick Taylor.

I have been to many boxing conventions all over the USA and in Europe with all the major referees imaginable. I saw the fight live as you all did and I know the machinations behind the scenes on how some referees get fights assigned to them. I along with many of you know what came out in the aftermath of this debacle, and the questionable and at the very least objectionable conflicts of interest that surfaced.

It was the last round and all referees have a 3 minute clock in our heads especially the guys like Richard and I who were fighters a long time.

The stoppage as it occurred eminated a stench and screamed out with a questionable , and transparent ambivilant agenda which all subsequent bland assertions of official rectitude do not fix.

It was designed to salvage a Chavez win from the ashes with seconds remaining and came as a blessing to those screaming from ringside from WBC seats for Steele to save Chavez from a loss. The judge who voted Chavez ahead must have been watching another fight to be kind about it.

It is one of the main reasons I had been passed over for major fights with the alphabet groups, I would not in any way EVER agree to give one fighter an advantage over another and was one of the main reasons I was asked for outside of NJ because I would not do what Steele did in this fight when fate handed it to him on a silver platter to gain favor with the WBC for the next big assignment. 2 seconds left? Taylor winning all the way?

Puuuuuuhleeeeease!

vCash

12-07-2008, 09:13 PM #61
    mrbig1

Location: Louisville,ky Re: De La Hoya - Pac Results & Discussion 12/6/'08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DLH is a tough sell now. No one want's to see an old washed up fighter. He should be like Lennox Lewis. Walk away with all your mables and money in your pocket. We can say about Oscar what we may, But the fact is he fought everybody who was anybody. That's good enough for me. Next stop is the HOF.

mrbig1
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to mrbig1
    Find More Posts by mrbig1

12-07-2008, 09:59 PM #62
    Ron Lipton

Location: New York Re: De La Hoya - Pac Results & Discussion 12/6/'08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezzthetic
    Mr. Lipton, I think you are right... but I don't think Oscar has the mentality to prepare like that. He's been a part time fighter for many years now and just doesn't seem to realize that a regular training camp, even a good one, is enough to prepare him for a 12 round fight against a determined opponent. In my experience it also takes a while to get accustomed to a new weight, even if you've fought there before at some point. That's why I absolutely agree that he needed to RESTORE himself physically before he even begins real boxing training. This is why I love reading about Rocky Marciano's work ethic. He didn't just do the now normal six week camp for his fights.

Just out of curiosity, how would you train De la Hoya for a comeback fight (at 154 lbs) if you had him? I'm not asking you to give out any real details, just a little elaboration.

Reply: This is a debilitating loss fraught with humiliation. No champ wants to be remembered as going out like this. Unfortunately he did not come in on time as to energy levels or changes in his style of punch delivery melded specifically to deal with a fast and mobile force like the Pac Man.

When he heals, rests and regroups he will understand that no matter how many critics tell you not to change trainers like your socks, they are wrong.
    I have my own methods. They are unorthodox but work and are designed to be the difference between being shot with a .22 gallery load and being nailed with a 340 Weatherby Magnum.

When change is necessary and you are taking the punches, you change for the better. The top A+ level fighters who reigned supreme for years, age like the rest of us. Changes for success must be made to be able to FIGHT.

What would I do without telling too much.

Like a Svengali I get into a fighter's mind, I am talking truth to them all the time, and working on the thing that makes them able to win which is their mind.

I gear it to the individual who I am training as I increase their punching power, and I do mean increase it. Some cannot believe how fast I do this, but with it comes a vicious confidence and brutal desire to try it out on a live targe. New muscle power, muscle control and their own mind control.

First many months are spent with me developing each body part for fighting with maximun usalbe quality muscle, MY WAY. We adhere to a strict diet and watch films as intently as Alex DeLarge with his eyelids spread wide with clamps in Clockwork Orange.

We do not miss a day for anything, death, sickness NOTHING.

I study their next opponent and I see things others do not see just like no one fully sees or cares what the refs do to ruin fights.

I have them punch with maximum force and speed from all angles and then I design an attack plan to do maxium damage all night long.

I train them so hard they want to fucking die but if they listen they will not lose.

With him, I would build him from the floor up for 6 months. You would not even recognize him. I would have him tapping into power he never had because this is a great fighter with a great chin who has never developed into his full potential.

Let me explain something to you about specialized trainers. You have to take a good look at the guy training you. Some physical specimens of fighters would flourish if the Flying Fucking Nun was training them so great a physical speciment they are.

The internet sites are full of kids who nothing about boxing who say this trainer is great, he was with this guy and with that guy. Yet there is a point reached where a guy training a fighter since he was 12 in a Mexico gym lets say or a L.A. gym or NYC gym, had taken him as far as he can go with their methods. The trainer is fat, the trainer is old, the trainer is sick, and the endless mitts, sparring and perennial advice starts to pale with its redundent nature.

It is then time to bring in a specialist, a hit man to add some zing to the mix.
    You want to pay an old legend big bucks to be a yes man, or someone to parrot old boxing axioms, keep bobbin, get off first, whatever thats cool.

Does that shit work? No. You have to be the strongest, fastest and the most devastating for each fight. You have to punch hard fast and look the part.

His team just trained a 35 year old fighter to the fucking bone, razor thin, with no glycogen in his muscle tissues and he crapped out like a drunken bride on her wedding night.

I would change that, not treat him like a star with a big entourage and get back to being brutal and training to destroy at all times.

I hope I answered the question.

Ronnie.

vCash

Hello Ron,

What is your opinion on cenegenics and Dr. Jeffery Life? I heard about this earlier on in the week in a UK paper...

Last edited by Adeyinka; 12-13-2008 at 10:33 AM.

vCash

Holy mackeral, I'll be curious to see your response to this as well. The first thought that goes thru my mind when I look at that picture, is whatever you call it, it looks like another name for, or a derivative of some kind, of steroids. I know nothing about it, but that just looks freaky.

vCash

Man that is amazing!

vCash

Mr. Lipton

Some years back I recall reading an interview with Richard Steele. I believe it was in KO Magazine just after he retired following Floyd Mayweather's brilliant win over Chico Corrales.

If I recall it accurately, he stated that Richard Greene's suicide didn't make sense with him, going so far as to imply it may have been more.

I've always respected Steele but of course having never met the man, I cannot "know him" or even form a one to one personal perception of him.

Have you ever heard of the Greene suicide possibly being more than just a suicide?

Politics exist everywhere in this life. I've learned that politics have a way of getting more than just in the way of this life when money is at stake.

Not looking to rock any boats, but just remembered the interview.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Adeyinka
    Hello Ron,

What is your opinion on cenegenics and Dr. Jeffery Life? I heard about this earlier on in the week in a UK paper...

Reply: First I ever heard of him Ade, how old is he in that picture, if that is him? I will look up his name and get back to you.
    Thanks for writing,
    Ron

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Warrior
    Mr. Lipton

Some years back I recall reading an interview with Richard Steele. I believe it was in KO Magazine just after he retired following Floyd Mayweather's brilliant win over Chico Corrales.

If I recall it accurately, he stated that Richard Greene's suicide didn't make sense with him, going so far as to imply it may have been more.

I've always respected Steele but of course having never met the man, I cannot "know him" or even form a one to one personal perception of him.

Have you ever heard of the Greene suicide possibly being more than just a suicide?

Politics exist everywhere in this life. I've learned that politics have a way of getting more than just in the way of this life when money is at stake.

Not looking to rock any boats, but just remembered the interview.
    Reply: I personally never heard anything about Richard Greene's suicide.
    It is truly shocking to know that 3 Nevada referees Greene, Halpearn and Toby committed suicide. Very bizzare twists of fate to be sure.

vCash

Ron,
    I'm pretty sure that guy is 65 years old in the picture Ade sent.
    Clay

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    Reply: First I ever heard of him Ade, how old is he in that picture, if that is him? I will look up his name and get back to you.
    Thanks for writing,
    Ron
    Hi Ron,

Clay missed his age by three years -Dr. Life is 68 years and I think this is a recent picture.

Although the methods of his organisation promote a change in nutrition, exercise etc, it also involves injecting human growth hormones into the body.

I wonder why that stuff doesn't affect his face i.e. smoother face.

http://www.cenegenics-drlife.com

PS

Somewhat tangential to matters, I can't help but wonder how George Hamilton looks these days. I know he married one of Rod stewart's ex-wives and was in the much maligned Godfather III, but I remember all the stuff about injecting himself with lambs blood and the Cary Grant-type tan.

vCash

Thanks Ade,
    I checked it out and the growth hormone they use which may or may not affect an older man negatively as to PSA count, prostate damage, etc costs over 11,000 dollars plus another $3 grand for checkups according to the GQ article on their website. They look great, diet and exercise of course, no rice or bread, red meat once a month but the drugs turn back the clock.
    Side effects are always a concern as to a man's heart, kidneys and liver profiles though.

Like my good buddy Joe Turkel from 1986 who spent a lot of time with me in Woodridge NY, Mr. Terrell from the movie Bladerunner said to Roy(Rutger Hauer) the replicnt as to his short life span, "Oh but Roy you burned so brightly."

Die leaving a good looking corpse.

vCash

I just watched the first Holyfield vs Ruiz fight and saw that Ruiz's trainer Norman Stone was hurling abuse at the referee Richard Steele (Can't remember if I have asked you before but do you regard Steele well? He seemed to get a lot of the big fights).

For another fight, I can't remember who the participants were but one of the fighters hired Lou Duva to speak up during the fight to make sure the referee knew that dirty tactics were being employed. Duva was regarded as being loud enough to make a difference.

Does having a Duva or Stone in the corner positively affect a corner?

vCash

Hi Mr Lipton,

Just a question.

If there had been an Ali vs Foreman rematch and assuming Ali had gone for the rope-a-dope style again, what happens if Foreman just stands in the middle of the ring and doesn't go to Ali?

What does the referee do? Ali wants Foreman to pound on him against the ropes while I assume Foreman would like Ali in the middle of the ring.

If the boxer doesn't want to be pounding against his opponent on the ropes and just stands in the middle of the ring waiting for the opponent to come to him, what happens?

Can the referee tell Ali to fight in the centre?

Peter

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeterD
    I just watched the first Holyfield vs Ruiz fight and saw that Ruiz's trainer Norman Stone was hurling abuse at the referee Richard Steele (Can't remember if I have asked you before but do you regard Steele well? He seemed to get a lot of the big fights).

Reply: I respect Richard's boxing background but never thought he was an exceptional referee. The gruff last and final round thing grated on my double entendre theater ear like candy sweets, rifle gun and cash money. The Chavez v Taylor thing was nothing short of horrible and the alphabet connections along with the casino job raised a few eyebrows over the years as to how many assignments one gets and how.
    Like Bayliss I don't like the sharp hand gestures and panicky choppy moves either.

For another fight, I can't remember who the participants were but one of the fighters hired Lou Duva to speak up during the fight to make sure the referee knew that dirty tactics were being employed. Duva was regarded as being loud enough to make a difference.

Does having a Duva or Stone in the corner positively affect a corner?
    Reply: I have dealt with the worst and it never worked for a NY second with me. Whatever bullshit threat, curse, baseless complaint, corner screaming, belly bellowing, Don King "Trickeration" was as useless as tits on a boar to me.

The loudest, foulest mouth total bullshit emotional, screaming hysterical female freak out crap I ever heard was from Jesse Reid during the Junior Poison Jones V Orlando Canizalez fight. I had many more fights in my life in and out of the ring than screaming former middleweight Jesse who had a 5-1 record against nobody. Many guys like him and thats fine, but what I saw of his behavior that night was deplorable as did the NYSAC.

Jones handled the brave Canizalez in a clear cut win with nothing out of the ordinary, no excessive holding, nothing but a boxing match with no controversy. Reid kept yelling like a maniac with his ass on fire that Jones should have "Amateur type points" deducted from him for tying up Orlando in the clnches. While their hands were free I let them fight. When they were locked up they were made to break.

The films show the judges except for the Texas judge from Canizalez' state giving a wide berth to Junior Jones on HBO as did Harold Lederman.

Yet Reid, with his heavy jowls and twisted mouth snarl was ranting like a baby about how actual points should have been deducted which would have been a farce. Every filthy name in the book came out of his mouth with no professional manners shown. I purposely went to my hotel afterward and he was staying there too.

I went into the hotel bar where he was and sat right near him. He said nothing. I said nothing. It was best because I was wild with the abuse I had to take from him, but I maintained my professional conduct. He knew nothing about my background which was a baaaaad mistake on his part but whatever.

As to Stone, he was too foul mouthed to be believed. He was like Al Braverman on an acid trip and Stone went too far. Its bush league and all these assholes should take a lesson from a true gentleman like Angelo Dundee.

I knew Freddie Brown, Chickie, Certo, the great gentleman of them all Al Gavin, I knew Ray Arcel, Teddy Bentham, big George Mitchell and the best of them were cool under fire and nice guys although they were loyal to their boys and did get excited within limits. Pros V Schmucks is what it is.

Reply: As to Lou. Well when he was in the hospital I called him up and he said, Ronnie that is so damn nice of you to call, thanks pal.

I had known him since Ice World in Totowa and I knew his sons Dan and Dino and family.

When I refereed Bobby Zizz, I mean Czys against Holyfield, Czyz pulled his Menza Plan 9 from Outer Space Inspector Clouseau ploy when getting served in the face enough by Evander and Bobby was looking for the door.

After Czyz and Parks pulled their bullshit vaudville act in the corner, Duva was pissed at them. I called the Dr. and he said Czyz was unable to continue so it was ruled a TKO when their mission impossible Liniment thing evaportated with Phelp's recording.

BUT Lou, wanted it decided quicker and said as he waddled toward me,
    "YOU MOHTERFUCKER, BE MORE DECISIVE, TELL THEM TO GO SHIT IN THEIR FUCKING HAT WITH THEIR BULLSHIT STORY."

I said, "Lou my dear, such foul language, my ears are turning red, I had to investigate thoroughly, you have cut me to the quick, contain yourself or thee shall offend me beyond forgiveness."

He busted up laughing and that was that.

When I refereed Holyfield V Mercer, Mercer cut Evander with a legal punch, but there was Lou calling the dear boy Ron Lipton who called him in the hospital every kind of a motherfucker again for not ruling it a butt.

His son Dino was the promoter. Did I waiver, Moi? Never!

I survived the streets of Newark, New York City, Jersey City, Belfast, Long Island bars and Harlem streets not to mention red neck Walden and Newburgh.

Does the corner screaming mean anything, yeah to a cherry ref, not someone like me. I love the fighters and they wlll get the right thing done by me whether a star or a prelim kid.

best,

Ronnie

vCash

Hey Ron.
    I really enjoyed your interview on TalkingBoxing. One thing that caught my attention was Bills reference to a training method you use with a wheel. would you mind explaining this to us? It deffinetly made an impression.
    Thanks Ron

Randy

+ Reply to Thread