Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2100

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

Hi Mr Lipton.

Hope you are having a good Christmas Holiday.

My question is on your travels through the world of Boxing have you ever come into contact with former Light-Heavyweight contender James Scott? From what I have read and seen of him he seems a real powerfull and intimidating guy (in & out of the ring). I would be interested to here your opinions on this fighter.

Regards

Joe.

P.S.

A newspaper story about a friend of yours and two fighters I love to watch.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...#ixzz0ahApq4Ma
    Last edited by KOJOE90; 12-28-2009 at 09:01 AM.

vCash

Stupendous and heartwarming story.

What a classy and charming guy Nino is, just wonderful to see him doing well and showing that kindness to Emile. That is what boxing is all about to me.

That story made me feel real good thank you so much for sharing it.

I did meet James Scott in Rahway and said hello to him briefly long ago.
    One of the toughest jails in the country where like Trenton State prison, Pelican Bay, and so many others, you can die in there in a second.

The tougher man was Dwight Qawi who I spent a summer in 1988 with while he was a sparring partner for Michael Spinks who he had fought. At 175lbs at 5'7" Dwight Braxton-Qawi was known to be the toughest fighter outside of Rubin Carter who ever was in NJ prison.

Scott was sent up for killing a guy in the Newark projects with a shady background in crime, they say. It shows you, they will put you away for killing anybody, saint or sinner, does not matter.

The only solution is to stay far away from any sitch that has explosive elements in it and lead a clean, quiet and peaceful life, I'd rather take boring than be in that slam for too much danger and excitement rising up and galloping away with a man.

Sooner or later the wrong kinds of contact will explode in your face.
    Sorry for the lecture, I must be getting old, or am there already.

blessings for the holiday and new year,
    Ron

vCash

wow. what a great thing for nino to do.

there is a youtube interview done a couple of years ago with nino and a female interviewer. i do not speak italian but watched it anyway because it was fun to watch the very relaxed benvenuti ooze class. so suave. everybody should age that well.

not enough stories like this is the fight game.

greg

vCash

I always respected Nino.

He took some beating from Monzon twice, but he was a man who had pride, courage and an iron will. Any man who could KO Luis Rodriquez a man who KO'd Jose Monon Gonzalez, beat Rubin Carter twice, Griffith and all the rest, is amazing to me.

One thing I always admired about him when I was a young fighter. That was the way he smiled coming into the ring to fight a Griffith or a Tiger or anyone.

It seemed genuine, relaxed and confident and believe me at crunch time you have to have your head together. He had class and guts all the way and now, to do that for Emile, it just makes me admire him so much more.

Best,
    Ron
    Me with Emile and Joey G
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1uoLhEbHOs

vCash

Mr Lipton me and my freind were debaing yesterday about the Barrera vs Marquez fight

when Barrera dropped Marquez then hit him well after he was down, did Jay Nady do the right protocol? Or what should have been done?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GPater11093
    Mr Lipton me and my freind were debaing yesterday about the Barrera vs Marquez fight

when Barrera dropped Marquez then hit him well after he was down, did Jay Nady do the right protocol? Or what should have been done?

Do you have a link to the film of that incident and I will be happy to give you my honest answer.

best,
    Ron

vCash

vCash

Reply: Ok.

It amazes me to no end, the amount of fans, commentators, who do not know what a ref should do and how they accept major mistakes over and over again by the same refs who are never sat down by the Comm including when they kill a fighter.

In this case I will tell you what I would have done. Boom, down goes Marquez. MB pauses and then hits him on the deck. I send Barerra to a neutral corner and tell him to stay there. I call TIME.

5 minute rest to recover from intentional foul hitting a man on the deck that I saw. I take my finger and point to the floor yelling KNOCKDOWN COUNTS, scored by Barrera, legit KNOCKDOWN. 2 POINT DEDUCTION FOR INTENTIONAL FOUL.

5 mintues to recover, either sitting on the deck or standing until he gets up walking it off, or if he says I am ok and gets up,
    the fight resumes until the bell rings.

Thus, KNOCKDOWN COUNTS FOR WHATEVER THE JUDGES DEEM FIT,
    10-8 MOST LIKELY. THEN A TWO POINT DEDUCTION FOR MAJOR FOUL, HITTING A MAN ON THE DECK. NOW ITS A 10-10 ROUND UNTIL THEY FIGURE WHO WAS WINNING UP TO THEN OR AFTER.

No one knows how bad a fighter is hurt after being hit on the deck.
    Some guys play it to the hilt like Montel Griffin did with Roy Jones Jr, its up to the referee to take charge and make the right call.

vCash

thanks Mr Lipton.

You ever had to deal with a foul like that?

vCash

great explanation ron.

nady really screwed the pooch there. the round was almost over. my question is could marquez have been allowed to take 5 mins recovery time in his corner or would you delay the bell and have him sit on the deck or walk it off and then get his one minute between rounds time ?

hope my question makes sense. maybe the bell took nady off his game or maybe it was the chair that judah hit him with. in any case not one of the better refs IMO.

greg

Banned
    vCash

Greg

What constitutes as a GOOD Nady Moment?

HA!

Hawk

vCash

This would be tantamount to an intentional low blow foul with a fighter walking it off for up to 5 mintues once time is called and the Intentional foul call is made immediately by the referee.

Neither boxer would be afforded an unfair advantage with help from their corners as time officially has been called. However, if the fighter was hurt, that is my main priority.

If he lay there hurt from a hard shot on the deck, I would call the Dr. in immediately to administer to him. If a medical opinion was rendered that he was unable to fight then Marquez would win on a DQ being the would Intentional was utilized by me.

In this scenario, the ref did not know what to do. Some are better than others but being "Used" a lot, means nothing but political connections.

The difference is this case which is like Bowe V Golota, there was a pause, then hit the man on the deck, not an in motion punch on the way down or in a series of punches which was not purely intentional, fine line.
    It has all happened to me, yes.

vCash

i'm telling you hawk that chair did some damage.

ron,

refereeing boxing matches some of these guys are just lucky. its when situations like this jump up that really can expose a guy that simply should not be in there.

i always have said that there are only certain types that have the fortitude to be a ref. the pressure has to be awesome. i was at a fight in el segundo once where bobby quarry was fighting a rematch with a guy that was robbed in his first fight with bobby. a definite pro quarry crowd. in the first fight the ref seemed intimidated by the fact that most of the crowd was white and bobby's opponent, rodney stockton, was black. add to that the fact that jerry quarry was at ringside and mike quarry was in his younger brothers corner and you get the picture. the ref gave bobby every break possible and stockton none. somehow bobby made it to the final bell and the ref and judges both folded like cheap suits. decision to quarry.

next comes the rematch. same judges yet now larry rosadilla is the ref.
    larry was THAT type and after several rounds of quarry getting his ass kicked trying to make the final bell larry thumbed his nose at the judges , the crowd and the whole quarry clan and stopped it. the place erupted in loud boo's and larry calmly marched back to the dressing room thru a hail of debris. i hollored "hey larry" he spun around and said "what" and i told him it was a good stop... larry looked me right in the eye and said "damn right".

i had so much respect for him that night... well i know YOU know the type.

greg
    Last edited by gregbeyer; 01-04-2010 at 07:06 PM.

vCash

Thanks Mr Lipton.

Another question kinda in line with Mr Beyer.

How much corruption is there in boxing you see home town decisions, refs giving guys easy breaks... Why do refs do these things?

vCash

just to be clear. i didn't mean to imply out right corruption as much as i was trying to show that if a ref doesn't have the courage to do his job and allows himself to be intimidated... he is the wrong man for the job.

we are talking about the fight game. lot of rough customers. a judge in a courtroom has to have courage also but he has a guard with a gun to back him up. larry rosadilla did his job and then walked the gauntlet.... courage.

greg

vCash

Gregbeyer wrote,
    next comes the rematch. same judges yet now larry rosadilla is the ref.
    larry was THAT type and after several rounds of quarry getting his ass kicked trying to make the final bell larry thumbed his nose at the judges , the crowd and the whole quarry clan and stopped it. the place erupted in loud boo's and larry calmly marched back to the dressing room thru a hail of debris. i hollored "hey larry" he spun around and said "what" and i told him it was a good stop... larry looked me right in the eye and said "damn right".

i had so much respect for him that night... well i know YOU know the type.

greg

Reply: Yes I do. I am very proud of the fact that I refereed things always fair to both men, no superstar influenced me ever. I understand a promoter's investment and I understand pro boxing A-Z and how it works.
    If they bring a guy into lose, they have the wrong ref with me.

Randy Gordon can tell you a story of what we both went through together at the Metropol one night in NY. It was Russian fighters and favorites on the card. I refereed it fair and square and the judges gave the decision to a kid from Patterson who surprised everyone and beat the favorite.

I admit I have a hair trigger temper if someone is in front of me that I know is pushing the insults, I will fight in a second and have. Randy was my Comm at the time and I must say I respected his cool under fire that night.

This foul mouthed manager started calling the judges every filthy name in the book, then he got on Randy and I was by his side. I was in DEADLY shape, and in the gym every day, next thing I know, this punk starts in on Randy, then me, Randy for appointing the judges and me for refereeing it fair.

Don Elbaum was there with a big sheepish embarrassed look on his face.
    They keep it up about how the other guy is supposed to win, and we don't know shit about how pro boxing works because they built up this other kid.

He called us every name in the book and Randy will tell you if he remembers I wanted to smash this foul mouthed punk's face in, my son, Randy, all dragged me away and Randy chilled me out, and he took some fire from this bastard.

All in all, it was a lesson for all of us, for them, you got the wrong set of guys to give anyone an unfair advantage, me, Randy, the judges no way.

Other Commissions, and the refs the promoters want, like Tony Soprano says,
    "Forget about it."

I had that kind of pressure put on me many times, it will be in my book, and it will surprise you.

vCash

It was in July 92, Dimitri Epishin V Shawn Wilkins,
    I had also refereed the Russian fighter killed by the mob and cut up and buried, Sergei Kobezev a different time on ESPN.

vCash

Thanks Mr Lipton.

Another question kinda in line with Mr Beyer.

How much corruption is there in boxing you see home town decisions, refs giving guys easy breaks... Why do refs do these things?

Hi Greg,

I would like to see that article you referred to on Randy's thread, as that is totally wrong. Many graceful fighters south of the border now and in the past.

Yes there is corruption, it is worst with the assignment of officials rather than actual payoffs in cash.

How do you think a referee can cause a ring death, after letting fighters get ruined time and time again fouling up and still be assigned major fights in the Garden? Or a political person be given so many fights to judge or referee their actual performance means nothing, just who they know.

Did you like the Lewis v Holyfield draw? Or when referees voted and picked the winner because they personally liked "Boxers not punchers," or they were hand picked by the Comm because they were friends of the popular fighter's manager, or guys are blackballed for being honest, hmmmm, gotta go now.

best,
    Ron

vCash

hi ron,

not sure what article you are speaking of. i think you may have the wrong guy here.

???

greg

vCash

oh... i see. so gpater is the greg you were speaking to.

greg

vCash

Yes, that is him.

best,
    Ron

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    Hi Greg,

I would like to see that article you referred to on Randy's thread, as that is totally wrong. Many graceful fighters south of the border now and in the past.

Yes there is corruption, it is worst with the assignment of officials rather than actual payoffs in cash.

How do you think a referee can cause a ring death, after letting fighters get ruined time and time again fouling up and still be assigned major fights in the Garden? Or a political person be given so many fights to judge or referee their actual performance means nothing, just who they know.

Did you like the Lewis v Holyfield draw? Or when referees voted and picked the winner because they personally liked "Boxers not punchers," or they were hand picked by the Comm because they were friends of the popular fighter's manager, or guys are blackballed for being honest, hmmmm, gotta go now.

best,
    Ron
    Mr Lipton just realised you called me Greg, how come you know my name?

Sounds horrible a referee is there for the saftey of both fighters and to make it a fair match, at least there are officials like yourself who uphold these standards.

Also I cant remember the article as it was a while ago I read it but i remember ity being about Salvador Sanchez.

vCash

Mr Lipton just realised you called me Greg, how come you know my name?

Sounds horrible a referee is there for the saftey of both fighters and to make it a fair match, at least there are officials like yourself who uphold these standards.

Also I cant remember the article as it was a while ago I read it but i remember ity being about Salvador Sanchez.

Reply: Greg, first I must tell you that the quote you attributed to me is waaaaay out of left field, and saying any group of fighters have no mobility is something I would never say, Never!!!! I do not remember any article with me about the great fighter Salvador Sanchez. Please find the article and show it to me here.

Of course I know you are Greg Patterson, I always know who is who posting,
    who their friends are, I still work for the C.I.A., I know everything.

Have a great day.

R

vCash

Seriously Greg
    you ask good questions, and it is a pleasure talking with you.

Ron

vCash

Greg, now I see the correction you posted on Randy's thread,
    you attribute the boxing quote to him.

I knew I did not say that, LOL.

Best wishes,

Ron

vCash

Reply: Greg, first I must tell you that the quote you attributed to me is waaaaay out of left field, and saying any group of fighters have no mobility is something I would never say, Never!!!! I do not remember any article with me about the great fighter Salvador Sanchez. Please find the article and show it to me here.

Have a great day.

R
    haha

Have a good day yourself

Seriously Greg
    you ask good questions, and it is a pleasure talking with you.

Ron
    Thanks

Greg, now I see the correction you posted on Randy's thread,
    you attribute the boxing quote to him.

I knew I did not say that, LOL.

Best wishes,

Ron
    Yeh made a mistake, sorry about that. I do think Mr Gordon had some excellant article and views but somethings he said like that struck me as strange. Sorry for the confusion.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton

Have a great day.

R
    well hell ron .... i am impressed. please remember i am a little longer in the tooth than our YOUNGER greg .... had me scratching my head there ...... thought the old cheese might be slipping.... wheeew !

greg

vCash

I pm'd you Mr Beyer

vCash

i sent one back. let me know if it got to you. i have had trouble with these here before.

greg

vCash

nope havent got one back

+ Reply to Thread