Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 2100

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

oh boy.

ok lets try this. send me an e-mail.

gbeyer1952@gmail.com

i must have done something wrong.

greg

vCash

Hi Ron. Just posted on the Hagler thread in the old timers section. Wouldn't mind getting your opinion on the whole overtraining issue. It was something frequently discussed by knowledgable sportswriters back in the old days but is rarely mentioned today.

vCash

I will take a look Surf.

Ron

vCash

Surf,

I responded on the Hagler thread.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    Surf,

I responded on the Hagler thread.
    Thanks Ron. A great answer. Appreciate you taking the time.

If you ever want to know more about "The Nebraska Wildcat" Ace Hudkins just let me know and I'll email you a few newspaper articles.

vCash

It would be nice if a DVD existed on him.
    Perhaps Jerry Sawick from the Macquarie Bank in Sydney Australia has him on film. Who knows?

vCash

Or maybe even some of our DVD traders here on the Zone, my good friends in Australia tell me they have many DVD to trade and will be looking to get me some vintage fights. I always wish I could find Rivero v Carter from 1966, Carter v Rodriquez I & II, Frazier v Doug Jones, Tiger v Archer, Carter V Archer.

It would be worth almost anything to get what you want, great fights, eh mate. Ain't no mountain high enough.

vCash

Mr Lipton did you see them fights live?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GPater11093
    "Mr Lipton did you see them fights live?"
    Reply: How are you doing? I am only kidding you, but I have to take two points off for spelling right away. Not "Them" fights but those fights.

I saw them all in person except Carter V Rivero, Rodriquez v Carter II in L.A.,
    and I missed Frazier V Jones which was supposed to be on TV, when the telecast was canceled at the last second, and this is how good my memory still is thank God, they replaced the fight with a Griffith bout.

Archer v Carter and Tiger were amazing to me and the respect I went away with for Joey Archer for even surviving those bouts was amazing. He actually came closer to dropping Tiger than any other fighter with a perfectly timed one-two that Dick ran right into, he wavered and almost went down and everyone at ringside could not believe their eyes.

Of course Emile got a flash knockdown on Tiger and he bounced right up.

The shot Carter caught Archer with in the 10th round, left hook, what a wallop, I can still see it and it was up there with the shot Henry Hank hit Dick Tiger with in the last round of their bout.

Great memories and Luis Rodriquez was just an amazing athlete, he frustrated Carter so badly in their first bout, Rube picked him up and threw him down onto the ropes and caught a warning.

I asked Marvis and Joe many times about the Doug Jones bout and I do not believe it is on film at all.

vCash

Thanks Mr Lipton sound real good bouts. Archer was a really good boxer but did not have a big punch so I am surprised he nearly dropped Tiger who was made of granite.

I have been well, what about yourself?

vCash

Thanks Mr Lipton sound real good bouts. Archer was a really good boxer but did not have a big punch so I am surprised he nearly dropped Tiger who was made of granite.

I have been well, what about yourself?

vCash

Those things happen in fights all the time, look at the bout in which Kimbo Slice was tagged with a punch tantamount to a jab while the other guy was up on one leg, good snap, perfect timing, out go the lights. Ray Leonard's jab flooring Wilfred Benitez and so many others moments.

Tiger who was magnificent and had a jaw and resolve of steel, just waked into it and Joey had great timing, it hit him right on the point of the jaw, which he always kept down. He was getting frustrated with Archer and got careless in rushing him.

My ticket for first row ringside cost me the unbelievable expensive sum of $10. The nerve of those MSG brass for upgrading this non TV show from $8 ringside to the unheard of some of $10. Then they had the nerve to charge me $15 for Tiger v Torres for ringside. What nerve.

The greatest fights for $8 ringside, hot dog at Needicks outside the Garden,
    their famous orange drink to go with it, Flash Gordon's work on sale, and the MSG boxing programs too. Best fight fans in the world all having a great time, best fight talk, and all the prelims good fights.

Best times of my life.

vCash

My ticket for first row ringside cost me the unbelievable expensive sum of $10. The nerve of those MSG brass for upgrading this non TV show from $8 ringside to the unheard of some of $10. Then they had the nerve to charge me $15 for Tiger v Torres for ringside. What nerve.

their famous orange drink to go with it, Flash Gordon's work on sale, and the MSG boxing programs too. Best fight fans in the world all having a great time, best fight talk, and all the prelims good fights.

Best times of my life.

Well, Ron...you pretty much summed up New York City boxing in the 1960's in two neat paragraphs! Great work and thanks for sharing those memories.

Regards,
    Kyoodle

vCash

My pleasure,
    I have a million unique memories of those old MSG days, hopefully I can squeeze a few more into my book.

thank you pal,

Ron

vCash

Ronny -

How is the book shaping up?

Josh

vCash

Best times of my life.
    That would have been the days. I am not a big city kind of guy, but I would have liked to be there.

Randy

vCash

Hi Josh and Randy,
    the book is coming along nice and I have a few bites. Thanks for asking.

It was so great in that old MSG, man they had such good fight cards and the atmosphere was magic, never to be captured again.

vCash

did you ever box in the garden?

vCash

Never fought pro there mate, unless you count the night I fought Harry Greb.

Tell me your first name again, sorry I forgot.
    What part of Australia are you from? I think I remember you telling me you are about 22 yrs old? Its nice to pass on the old stories to someone like you who has such an interest in boxing's great past.

I refereed some interesting fights there with Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr, Oscar DeLahoya, Montel Griffin, David Telesco, Orlando Canizalez, Poison Junior Jones, and so many others, it was always an honor for me.

vCash

Hi Ron:

Can't wait for the book to see the light of day; put me down for an (autographed) copy please!

A question for you: did you happen to be in attendance at the Tiger vs. Torres rematch at the Garden? I've read an awful lot about it over the years, especially since I had an uncle who was there for that one, and who always claimed that it was an outright robbery of Chequi.

Thanks,
    Kyoodle

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoodle
    Hi Ron:

Can't wait for the book to see the light of day; put me down for an (autographed) copy please!

A question for you: did you happen to be in attendance at the Tiger vs. Torres rematch at the Garden? I've read an awful lot about it over the years, especially since I had an uncle who was there for that one, and who always claimed that it was an outright robbery of Chequi.

Thanks,
    Kyoodle

R: Promise, and thank you.

I was there, would not have missed it for anything and was good friends with both Tiger and Chegui and stayed that way until we lost them both.

Jose did better in that fight than the first and a case can be made for him for sure. I would have to score the entire 15 rounds again to give you my best answer and I do not have the entire 15 rounds in my collection.

The riot was bad and I just missed getting hurt by flying objects thrown from the bleachers. Jose's fans were pissed off and then some. To the day he passed away, and I spoke to Jose Torres only two weeks before he died, he felt he won that fight.

Both were terrific fighters. I can still see them up there from my ringside seat, Torres in Red and White, Tiger in his Blue and White trunks and his blue robe. Great memories.

vCash

Never fought pro there mate, unless you count the night I fought Harry Greb.

Tell me your first name again, sorry I forgot.
    What part of Australia are you from? I think I remember you telling me you are about 22 yrs old? Its nice to pass on the old stories to someone like you who has such an interest in boxing's great past.

I refereed some interesting fights there with Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr, Oscar DeLahoya, Montel Griffin, David Telesco, Orlando Canizalez, Poison Junior Jones, and so many others, it was always an honor for me.
    It's Greg, also I'm just a bit away from Australia in Scotland, UK. Also as a surprise to most I'm actually only 16. But Boxing is everything absoloutly love it.

Canizalez was a very great fighter, what do you think of him?

Also I have Torres vs Tiger 2 on DVD, I will give it a watch and make sure it is the full fight and report back

vCash

Hi Grey,
    wow 16. See if you can post a picture of you here. I refereed Pernell Whitiker V Gary Jacobs, from Scotland. It was for the Welterweight Championship and it was on HBO. How is Gary doing if you know? If you ever run into him wish him the best from me. Also I spent some time with Ken Buchannan in 1994 in Seville Spain, me him and John Stracey the former welter champ went everywhere together. How is Ken doing also if you read about them both locally?

Let me know who you thought took the decision in Tiger V Torres II. Man do I miss both of them, they both meant a lot to me and I have many good personal memories with both great men.

best wishes,
    Ron

vCash

Hi Ron:

I'm the one that asked for your opinion on Tiger vs. Torres II, and I can only WISH I were still 16, LOL!

While I don't think the end result was riot-worthy, I thought Jose was busier and more accurate with his shots and should have gotten the nod. But I still marvel at the caginess and mastery of craft that these two HOF'ers exhibited in their two bouts. What bodywork on the inside by both men; a lost art compared to what we see today. And the pure up-tempo of this fight, along with each man constantly looking to exploit the openings of the other, is just a thing of beauty for me to view.

If there has been a more courageous fighter than Mr. Ihetu, who always seemed to be fighting the odds and a bigger opponent, without ever taking a step backward, I know I haven't seen him yet.

Ron, you have no IDEA how forward I am looking to your recollections of the era in New York City boxing that routinely featured the likes of Tiger, Torres, Griffith, Rodriguez, R. Carter, Ortiz, Patterson, etc. To think that fighters of that elite status plied their trade so often at the Garden back then is mind-boggling to me today.

Best,
    Kyoodle

vCash

Hi Grey,
    wow 16. See if you can post a picture of you here. I refereed Pernell Whitiker V Gary Jacobs, from Scotland. It was for the Welterweight Championship and it was on HBO. How is Gary doing if you know? If you ever run into him wish him the best from me. Also I spent some time with Ken Buchannan in 1994 in Seville Spain, me him and John Stracey the former welter champ went everywhere together. How is Ken doing also if you read about them both locally?

Let me know who you thought took the decision in Tiger V Torres II. Man do I miss both of them, they both meant a lot to me and I have many good personal memories with both great men.

best wishes,
    Ron
    Dont really hear much from the older boxers as Scotland is fairly big and they are all based down in Glasgow and Edingburgh whereas I live up north, and boxing is not a very popular sport here so theres never much coverage.

Although it was reported Buchanan was on some hard times and sold his belts but seems to be doing better now.

I am boxing this saturday and someone is filming it for me so I will get the video up on here.

Ill watch the fight after Saturday as I have to watch some orthodox vs southpaw fights as I am boxing a southpaw on saturday

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoodle
    Hi Ron:

I'm the one that asked for your opinion on Tiger vs. Torres II, and I can only WISH I were still 16, LOL!

R. Hi Kyoodle, that will teach me not to speed read.

While I don't think the end result was riot-worthy, I thought Jose was busier and more accurate with his shots and should have gotten the nod. But I still marvel at the caginess and mastery of craft that these two HOF'ers exhibited in their two bouts. What bodywork on the inside by both men; a lost art compared to what we see today. And the pure up-tempo of this fight, along with each man constantly looking to exploit the openings of the other, is just a thing of beauty for me to view.

R. I agree with all of the above. I was surprised at the intensity of the riot as it was close. Plus Jose and Tiger stayed right in front of each other to fight the whole fight, no running for 15 rounds. Lots of moxie and craft displayed. I did not see the blazing hand speed or ripped muscularity in Jose that night that he showed in demolishing Olson and Pastrano, or dropping Thornton. He seemed slower and lethargic compared to his former abilities.

Tiger does make everything harder for anyone fighting him. You know what amazed me when old Dick Tiger fought Bob Foster become that one in a million wrecking ball blazing left hook crashed home? Damn if Tiger wasn't doing pretty good up until that moment. Despite the size difference he was landing and it looked like Foster felt him too. Foster in a total other lightheavy league though.

With Tiger and Chegui, those damn body shots of Tiger took their toll. Jose handling big Tom McNeeley too. He later complained of pancreatitis inflammation and I know all those body punches did not help.

It was great seeing Tiger and Torres in action and it was exciting for me to be there. It did not have the explosiveness of Tiger V Carter but at 167 to 175 both guys were not at their middleweight best of course.

Would love to see them both today against what we have now, it would be interesting for sure.

If there has been a more courageous fighter than Mr. Ihetu, who always seemed to be fighting the odds and a bigger opponent, without ever taking a step backward, I know I haven't seen him yet.

Ron, you have no IDEA how forward I am looking to your recollections of the era in New York City boxing that routinely featured the likes of Tiger, Torres, Griffith, Rodriguez, R. Carter, Ortiz, Patterson, etc. To think that fighters of that elite status plied their trade so often at the Garden back then is mind-boggling to me today.

Best,
    Kyoodle

best,
    Ron

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GPater11093
    Dont really hear much from the older boxers as Scotland is fairly big and they are all based down in Glasgow and Edingburgh whereas I live up north, and boxing is not a very popular sport here so theres never much coverage.

R. I understand. I thought they would be at the fights perhaps near where you live.

Although it was reported Buchanan was on some hard times and sold his belts but seems to be doing better now.
    R. He was a brilliant boxer, a real shame how he lost his title on a low blow that was allowed.

I am boxing this saturday and someone is filming it for me so I will get the video up on here.

R. Would like to see that young Jedi, good luck.

Ill watch the fight after Saturday as I have to watch some orthodox vs southpaw fights as I am boxing a southpaw on saturday
    R. Sounds good, like to hear your feedback.

take care,
    Ron

vCash

Thanks Ron, away to the gym for some southpaw sparring just now.

It is a shame about Buchanan although last I heard he was doing pretty well and is in good shape. In fact he looked in better shape than Scotlands last world Champion Alex arthur.

vCash

Heres the video of my fight last night mr Lipton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LIj67qYV98

Im in the blue
    Last edited by GPater11093; 02-14-2010 at 11:27 AM.

vCash

Hello Mr. Lipton,
    I would welcome your opinion or experience sharing you may have on this. Back in the 1970's when I was in school I used to watch Vito Antuefermo train at the old Queens Gym above the Elmwood movie theatre. Vito idolized Graziano and LaMotta and always wanted to achieve their level of power (especially Graziano). As a kid I sparred with Vito quite a few rounds and he was very strong, very game, had great stamina and a good chin but really was not that hard a hitter. Before one of his fights, it may have been the one against Emile Griffith, Vito's manager Tony Carrione brought in an elderly gentleman who he said had trained LaMotta back in the day. I can't remember the man's name. The man told Vito to work on his grip and forearm stregnth. He told Vito to buy grippers and to squeeze rubber balls while running. He said this would help Vito's power. My question to you is: how important is grip strength in regards to punching power? By the way, the grippers of today are streets ahead of what was available back in the 70's. The best ones are made by IronMind and very few men can close the #2 Captains of Crush grippers. They are fantastic. But I don't know if they translate into better punching. What do you think? Thanks very much for your time. By the way, as a side note, Vito was one of the first fighters to incorporate weight training into his regiman (although for some reason he wold not admit it). Back when he was active he used to also work out at the Jak LaLanane in Brooklyn and did standard stuff such as lat pulldown, bench press, etc. There was evena photo him woking out on the wall.

+ Reply to Thread