Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 2100

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GPater11093
    Heres the video of my fight last night mr Lipton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LIj67qYV98

Im in the blue
    Greg,

I thought you won the fight. If you had busier hands and threw more punches in the last round you would have gotten the decision. You were very brave and fought a good bout, you should be EXTREMELY proud of yourself as you have great heart.

You kept your hands up nice and high and did not drop them when you punch. Each right or left you threw was brought right back to your chin and it looked professional. You took some shots and nailed him with some good punches. He is a tough kid too.

You handled an aggressive southpaw the right way throwing right hands down the middle and using your short hook well, you put it behind the right hand and to the body at the right times.

I don't know what you height and weight is now, but you could use a bit more power in your punches and if you bend your legs more and bring your punches up from the floor, and get more torque in your shots, and snap that jab with some shoulder behind it, it would have more power as you step in with it.

You covered up and countered well and you stayed in your boxing rhythm from the opening bell. At times you stood up too straight as the other guy crouched to get more power. When he bent down in a crouch, instead of standing in front of him letting him drive you back or just back up, it might be better to step around him with some hard jabs.

When he started pawing away at your left jab like Klitchko does, snap some jabs into his arm and hand with speed.

All in all if you turn up that hand speed like Ray Leonard going to the body when the target is there, maybe do some harder roadwork so you will not run out of gas in the last round, and throw some pushups into your training regimen on your knuckles (Pushup position, upper arms close to your sides, knuckles facing outward, doing 2-3 sets of 25 reps per day) you will put some more power into your arms and chest.

Everything looks good, just don't square off front ways, give him more of your side and just turn up the hand and foot speed a notch.

Add some power punching training too.

You looked great and I know you have skill, heart and most of all, you were a gentleman and good sport and I truly admire what you brought to that fight.
    I really feel you won the bout, but needed to cement the victory with busier hands in the last round.

best,
    Ron

vCash

"It's Greg, also I'm just a bit away from Australia in Scotland, UK. Also as a surprise to most I'm actually only 16. But Boxing is everything absoloutly love it.

Canizalez was a very great fighter, what do you think of him?"

R: Greg, I think he was a consummate pro, with a lot of heart and boxing skills. I refereed him on HBO against Junior Jones for the title. Jones handled him in a relatively simple to referee fight and won a clear cut decision.
    Orlando's corner man Jesse Reid started shooting off his mouth after the fight about how his guy won and was robbed and was not allowed to fight inside.

The films show a clear cut decision win for Jones and they were allowed to fight all the time unless they were locked up. The judge from Texas where Canizalez was from voted for him, ain't that a surprise.

Harold Lederman from HBO gave his on the air score and had Jones winning decisively.

Tough little fighter, but Canizalez was not a big one shot puncher.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    Greg,

I thought you won the fight. If you had busier hands and threw more punches in the last round you would have gotten the decision. You were very brave and fought a good bout, you should be EXTREMELY proud of yourself as you have great heart.

You kept your hands up nice and high and did not drop them when you punch. Each right or left you threw was brought right back to your chin and it looked professional. You took some shots and nailed him with some good punches. He is a tough kid too.

You handled an aggressive southpaw the right way throwing right hands down the middle and using your short hook well, you put it behind the right hand and to the body at the right times.

I don't know what you height and weight is now, but you could use a bit more power in your punches and if you bend your legs more and bring your punches up from the floor, and get more torque in your shots, and snap that jab with some shoulder behind it, it would have more power as you step in with it.

You covered up and countered well and you stayed in your boxing rhythm from the opening bell. At times you stood up too straight as the other guy crouched to get more power. When he bent down in a crouch, instead of standing in front of him letting him drive you back or just back up, it might be better to step around him with some hard jabs.

When he started pawing away at your left jab like Klitchko does, snap some jabs into his arm and hand with speed.

All in all if you turn up that hand speed like Ray Leonard going to the body when the target is there, maybe do some harder roadwork so you will not run out of gas in the last round, and throw some pushups into your training regimen on your knuckles (Pushup position, upper arms close to your sides, knuckles facing outward, doing 2-3 sets of 25 reps per day) you will put some more power into your arms and chest.

Everything looks good, just don't square off front ways, give him more of your side and just turn up the hand and foot speed a notch.

Add some power punching training too.

You looked great and I know you have skill, heart and most of all, you were a gentleman and good sport and I truly admire what you brought to that fight.
    I really feel you won the bout, but needed to cement the victory with busier hands in the last round.

best,
    Ron
    Thanks, Mr Lipton. Watching the tapes of the fight I didnt think I won myself but it was a very close bout.

I felt uptight in the fight and didnt fight fluidly or naturally instead I laboured my work that made me look ragged especially in the last round as I looked to force the fight but was labouring my work.

But thanks for the advice will definitly heed it.

Also thanks for the information on Canizales. I have the fight with Jones will have to give it a watch again, was on teh undercard of Gatti vs Rodriguez

vCash

I think you did great, I had you winning the first two rounds.

Open up that right glove when you jab, do not keep it closed, catch shots, parry and block with that glove open and counter.

Pull the trigger on all your shots through the abs and pivot with that hook, fast, strike and back, same with the right hand, put a kick on the end of every punch including that jab.

R

vCash

Ron, what happened here ? Why was the fight stopped ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJBogeNiQas

vCash

Hi buddy,

What happened?

Czyz QUIT! Why? Holyfield was beating the shit out of him and he had no way out.

Tommy Parks and Bobby Czyz wanted it stopped. The cameras caught them in the corner changing stories. Czys trying to say it was his back, then Park's wanted to say it was his eyes and they went with that.

I impounded Holyfield's gloves, sealed the package and the NYSAC sent it to the NYSPD lab in Albany. It came back only vaseline and water. Total bullshit claim from a guy who was on the verge of getting what Corrie Sanders gave to him a bit later. Czyz just did not want to be laid out. So he quit, then blamed everyone but himself.

He was exposed but good for what he did. He would have been dropped, KO'd and massacred if I did not protect him. He knew that and quit rather than go out like a champ.

Like they wrote on You Tube, a bully, a complainer, and arrested more times for DWI than anyone should be allowed.

best of luck to him,
    but a very pompous bully, whose bullying never worked.
    I love his "Mensa" sweatshirt, anyone with an IQ the size of your shoe could have come up with a better bullshit concoction than he did in his corner that night.

Sorry, but he did it all to himself. He wanted a referee who would play ball with him and his bullshit bullying agenda, and that ain't me.

He got served but good a la Evander Holyfield, Corrie Sanders and even Mustapha Hamsho and Prince Charles Williams twice. He was only an average or below average middleweight, until Hamsho beat the shit out of him.

The Holyfield and Sanders fight said it all.

vCash

Lol. Czyz stepped in the ring with two guys you don't want to mess with that night!

vCash

hey ron..... there is a "worst stoppages" thread in the modern section that you should comment on.

greg

vCash

Thanks Ron. You were there and I welcome your first hand insight.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gregbeyer
    hey ron..... there is a "worst stoppages" thread in the modern section that you should comment on.

greg

Reply: I will take a look for sure, thank you.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by HE Grant
    Thanks Ron. You were there and I welcome your first hand insight.

R: No one I ever met would have handled it like he did.

I was a cop and one of the guys I grew up with and who retired as a police captain from East Orange PD was Mike Palardy, one of my best friends and was friendly with Czyz. It meant nothing to Czyz. before or after the bout.
    I knew both his cornermen too and it meant nothing to them.
    He went out of his way to be mean, rude and cruel and it did not mean a fucking thing to me. If he was respectful he would have reaped some better Karma for sure.

I can assure you of one thing, no one was afraid of him or his bullying threats.
    The nicer you speak to him the louder and more rude and insulting he becomes. It did not help him with Mustapha Hamsho, Holyfield, Corrie Sanders, or Prince Charles Williams, or a a then 50 year old ancient war dog like me either.

I only regret one thing and that is how polite I was to him in the dressing room, after the fight on air and on a subsequent tv show.

Nothing works with him except what he got from Corrie Sanders.

vCash

Lipton in Article, 'Chicago Boxer's Brush w/ Death Raises Safety Questions."

I just received a link to this Chicago Tribune piece from the CBZ's own Rita Figueroa (AKA Fightgirl). As you'll see, our very own Ron Lipton is also prominently featured in it as well:

Chicago boxer's brush with death raises safety questions
    February 25, 2010 8:39 PM

Boxer Rita Figueroa lasted all six rounds of her last fight before the bell rang and she headed to the locker room.

But the 40-year-old fighter was not well. A painful headache developed, then nausea and vomiting. She couldn't sign for her check to get paid. Paramedics put her on a stretcher and prepared to put her in an ambulance.

Then, according to members of her corner team, employees with the UIC Pavilion wouldn't allow the ambulance to leave. The next bout had started, and an ambulance is required by law to be present during boxing matches.

Ultimately Figueroa was taken to the University of Illinois Medical Center and underwent emergency brain surgery for a broken blood vessel.

But Dr. Sepideh Amin-Hanjani, who performed the operation, said Figueroa probably avoided irreversible results by a matter of minutes.

"We got her before she slipped into a coma," she said. "She would've progressed to the severe ultimate scenario of coma and obviously death shortly thereafter."

The boxing community views Figueroa's experience as an aberration. "We're very proud of the way it was handled," said Ron Puccillo, director of the Illinois Athletic Commission.

But the response to her injury, which ended the career of a popular champion in Chicago's small boxing world, highlights lax attention in Illinois to safety in a dangerous sport, the Tribune found.

The state doesn't require from promoters an official plan of action for instances when a fighter is injured. In Texas, promoters are required to prepare such a plan before events. Nor does the state track cases in which boxers are sent to a hospital. And gyms in California are required to submit monthly reports on fighters who become injured during training, but not in Illinois.

Moreover, current laws designed to protect safety aren't always followed. Though ringside doctors are legally required to examine boxers after bouts, more than a dozen Chicago boxers and trainers said in interviews that it rarely happens. Doctors step in only when fighters are knocked out or are visibly bloody, or when boxers and trainers request it, they said.

"It's not really a doctor that checks you after the fight. It's really the paramedics," said longtime Chicago boxer Germaine Sanders. "The doctor just sits along ringside."

Ron Lipton, a former boxer and referee who now trains fighters in New York, said it's inexcusable for fighters to go unchecked by doctors after bouts.

"The responsibility for the safety of the fighters falls in the lap of medical professionals there, does it not?" Lipton said. "The onus is on them if someone is hurt."

Figueroa's team maintains that representatives from the boxing commission -- from officials like Puccillo to the ringside doctor -- didn't act with urgency to get her medical help.

The doctor working Figueroa's fight, Eric Vaughn, initially told the Tribune he examined Figueroa inside the ring after the bout and provided an icepack. However, a video of the match obtained by the Tribune showed no evidence he stepped into the ring after the fight. Vaughn then said the post-fight examination took place in the locker room.

Figueroa, who says she will not box again, remains angry about what happened that night. "My team, I gotta tell you, my team is the reason I'm sitting here talking to you right now," she said.

The debate over safety in boxing, where victory can mean beating an opponent unconscious, is as old as the sport itself. It resurfaced after the November death of popular Chicago boxer Francisco Rodriguez, who was fatally injured while fighting in Philadelphia.

Nationally, boxing operates under a hodgepodge of rules. In Illinois, for example, one doctor is required to be ringside at events, while other boxing-heavy states such as California or Texas require at least two.

The Illinois Athletic Commission supervises professional boxing and mixed martial arts under the umbrella of the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. The commission, with a handful of full-time employees, oversaw 22 pro boxing and mixed martial-arts events last year.

To be licensed, fighters must provide a complete medical history. Doctors also are supposed to examine the fighter after a bout to "determine possible injury" and to report any injuries in writing as well as the fitness of the fighter to box in the future.

The department declined to discuss Figueroa's case, saying in a statement "it is department policy not to discuss specific events and/or licensees."

The department also would not disclose how many times doctors had ruled boxers ineligible to compete. When asked why it doesn't track hospital trips, the boxing commission said its responsibility applies only to fights, and that any "private health care an athlete or any citizen might seek is beyond the department's purview."

The commission defines virtually all documents related to fights as medical records, which are private, so it's difficult to know how often boxers are seriously injured or to gauge how commission officials fulfill their responsibilities when it comes to safety.

A Chicago native, Figueroa first took to martial arts in 1996, then tried boxing two years later. She went on to win amateur titles in Chicago four times, and a pro belt in 2006, boxing under the nickname "La Guera."

On the night of Figueroa's Nov. 6 fight at the UIC Pavilion, she was hit in the second round and fell to the canvas. She got up, but about 40 seconds later, she and her opponent slammed heads accidentally. Both fighters clutched their heads, the referee quickly asked if they were OK, and the fight went on.

When the round ended 30 seconds later, Figueroa said she felt something was off but didn't tell her coach. "I just felt like I wasn't being able to take the punches," she said. "I wasn't as steady on my feet.''

Lipton, who watched a DVD of the bout at the Tribune's request, said the fight should've been stopped and a doctor should've examined Figueroa because she was moving slowly while taking too many clean punches to the head. "I do not see that kind of professional scrutiny displayed in this bout on the part of the referee, the medical staff or the commission," said Lipton, who has refereed televised title bouts. "I pray she is OK."

Figueroa finished the fight, losing by one point. In the locker room, paramedics measured her vital signs, and her blood pressure was a little high, her team said. She also told the paramedics she had a severe headache.

Her husband, Mike, and other members of her team were concerned. "It just wasn't right, that she should be in that much pain," said Angela Gibson, a member of her team.

When an inspector for the boxing commission sought Figueroa's signature on her paycheck for the fight, she was too ill to do it.

Figueroa began to vomit, a symptom of a concussion when it occurs with headache. The paramedics were called back, and they placed her on a stretcher. Greg Znajda, a physical therapist on her team, said he could see Figueroa had a dilated or "blown" pupil, which can indicate brain injury.

Znajda said he called a friend who is a neurosurgeon, who in turn reached a team of doctors at the University of Illinois Medical Center.

At some point after that, her team said, ringside physician Vaughn appeared briefly, examined her on the stretcher and confirmed she had a blown pupil. He then returned to the ring.

"I was shocked," said Znajda. "I went and said to the paramedics, 'Where's he going?'"

Vaughn said he did nothing wrong and "the system worked." He said that when she showed symptoms of head trauma, he told the paramedics to take her to the hospital. Vaughn disputes the claim from Figueroa's team that he examined her only when she was on the stretcher; he said he also examined her earlier in the locker room.

Puccillo, in a brief interview, said, "We think we saved her life." Asked additional questions, he deferred to a commission spokeswoman and said, "I am not a rat."

Figueroa's team sought to move her to the ambulance, but they said Pavilion employees wanted to wait for a second ambulance to arrive. The law requires an ambulance to be available during a match and puts that responsibility in the hands of the match's promoter. It also allows boxing commission officials to stop or delay fights for the safety of fighters.

Kevin O'Finn, the UIC Pavilion director, who was not at the fight, said he was unaware of any ambulance problems. Promoter Dominic Pesoli said he was ringside when he heard there was an issue with the ambulance but didn't know why there may have been a delay in taking Figueroa to the hospital.

Some boxers say it's problematic that Illinois requires just one ambulance at a match, because that means fights must be stopped or delayed to get a backup in place after the first ambulance has been used. In a written response to questions, Illinois Athletic Commission spokeswoman Sue Hofer said the rule is acceptable because a backup ambulance "typically" is available.

Members of Figueroa's team said they frantically pressed for the ambulance to take her away. "I got loud and said, 'We're going right now,'" Znajda said.

At the hospital a CAT scan showed a subdural hematoma -- bleeding in the brain. Surgeons opened her skull and performed the surgery.

Figueroa said she requested a meeting with the commission in early January to discuss her concerns about what happened the night of her injury. She's still waiting.

"You are the boxing commission and you profess your main goal is fighters' safety," she said. "Why have you not sat down with me to discuss this?"

--Jared S. Hopkins

vCash

Yes,

they called me and sent me the DVD asking me to watch it.

I did not want to be cruel to anyone, I just told the truth about what I saw.
    Rita Figueroa was taking too many clean head shots after a nasty clash of heads. The boxers clashed heads again and despite her trying to fight with all her heart, she had no power in her responses while taking a lot of head punishment.

I would have called the doctor up to take a look at her.

The reporter and me have been attacked for telling the truth, but that goes with the territory. Just tired of Beathaeven Scotland type officials and seeing them referee again and again with the people in charge not giving a damn about what they do.

Boxing is run by a select few, they appoint officials who let boxers fight with broken jaws, they appoint their sons as referees who tell fighters whether they are ahead on the scorecards. Whether its the WBO referees, WBC clowns, or whoever, its all political and ruins a great sport.

vCash

Ron:

I want you to help me clear something up. A friend and I are arguing over a mythical match-up between the middleweight version of Duran and your friend Rubin Carter.

I've got Carter and I think it could get ugly.

He says that Rube was made for Duran, that he was too reckless and he tended to get wide with his shots. He also said that he and Barkley were "very comparable".

Personally, I can't help but laugh. Carter wide with his punches? Comparable to Barkley, a guy who could never make a top fighter miss?

"Cool fight. I don't think Duran had the energy to hang with a fireplug like Carter. He might be able to deck him at some point, but he'd take a beating from the first round on. Too small and too old. Carter was a vicious puncher who would pound on Duran on the inside, force him backward (huge key) and wreck him.

edit-
    I just watched a couple of Carter's fights thanks to this thread and I'm even more convinced that it would be ugly for Duran. Rube is a fighter I have underestimated until recently. He's not just a puncher. He's a fantastic athlete who is a little cuter in there than he'll ever be remembered for. Watching tapes you'll see a fighter who presents a small target when he's not throwing. You'll see blazing fast hands with brutal power. A really, really sweet, short, fast left hook that comes from underneath (my fav punch) and a smart counter right over the jab. He also rolls with punches quite well."

^
    that was my reply.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the match-up and how Carter compares with Barkley.

Thanks.

vCash

Duran would get hurt a lot worse than he did in his bout with Thomas Hearns for starters.

In ALL dream match ups-Fantasy Fights if one gives an opposing viewpoint they buttress it with examples of lesser fighters doing well against the favorite when the fighter in question was not at their zenith.

I don't care about Pat Lawlor beating Duran, or little Esteban DeJesus dropping him at 135 or the slick boxing Luis Rodriquez jumping all over the ring with Carter, or a Johnny Morris at 6' getting a questionable decision win.

I only match them up and comment when both fighters are at their best.

So lets take the Carter who was not smoking and drinking in training camp but running like a demon and training like there was no tomorrow, and KO'd Florentino Fernandez, Emile Griffith and fought the superb fight against George Benton and match him up against 5'7" Duran who fought Barkley and lasted against Hagler who was not a one shot puncher but threw a lot of combinations behind a right jab.

I boxed with Lloyd Marshall who fought Duran at 135 and Doc McClendon who went 10 rounds with him. I refereed Duran and saw most all his fights and as to Carter you know how I know him.

Rubin Carter would overpower, explode on and crunch Roberto Duran who from the opening seconds of the first round after being staggered horribly would even be unable to back up, Carter would just stay on him hurting him with every punch until Duran was floored over and over again unable to get up and be counted out.

His head would almost be torn from its shoulders and the ripped 135lb natural body he had campaigned and shined successfully with at lightweight would not be there to save him.

Duran's body which changed drastically from over eating putting his Lion's heart into a smooth and slightly pudgy 147 lb body which could still box well against Palomino in 1979 would not be enough.

Then the next version of his body which came in at 160 by gaining more weight did the job on Barkley and lasted against Hagler but was slower and he had to use his ring guile but without once hurting Hagler. Barkley ws dropped and Duran was amazing in dealing with a bigger man, but a man who was known to party hearty on the streets of NYC, seemed exhausted from dealing with elusive Roberto who did a great job that night.

Carter on his best night was so strong that he was doing 1000 push ups and 1000 crunches, boxing 10 rounds in camp and running 6.5 miles up and down hills, 6 rounds on the heavy bag, 4 rounds or more on the speed bag, working his neck, shadow boxing furiously under the eye of Jimmy Wilde, Charley Goldman, and beating the dog shit out of big and fast sparring partners.

He was so strong and ripped at 158lbs he was very dangerous and fast.
    Duran's body was never like Rubin and the fight would show what a natural lightweight's limitations would be no matter what the scale said. Carter's frame was like the Terminator and even Dick Tiger knocking him down 2 times could not finish him, and Carter came back to stagger Tiger in the 7th, never running from him always staying right in front of him the whole fight exchanging shots all the way to the end.

Carter KO's Duran in the first round or through some miracle Duran survives until midway into the second round with the referee jumping on Carter pulling him off before he killed him in mid ring or on the ropes. Duran's long black hair would be flying while Carter's right hands and left hooks would spin his body around like paper in the wind while NOTHING Roberto could throw would even faze Carter, there would not be a chance that any punch would even bother him slightly.

Total massacre of a middleweight puncher crunching a lightweight who put on weight to foray into a place where devil's fear to tread.

ON THE BEST NIGHT EACH FIGHTER HAD ONLY! That is what truly would happen.

Result

vCash

Hi Ron,

Wow, I didn't think Rubin Carter was that good, I will have to hunt up some of his fights.

How do you think Bernard Hopkins would do against Carter?

All the best,

Peter.

vCash

Hopkins would handle Carter. A little too much of everything. Wide, but competitive decision, IMO.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeterD
    Hi Ron,

Wow, I didn't think Rubin Carter was that good, I will have to hunt up some of his fights.

How do you think Bernard Hopkins would do against Carter?

All the best,

Peter.

Love him or hate him, his paper record does not tell the story.
    The films of him with Fernandez, Griffith, Benton, Mims, (Yes he was down for a 2 count) Jose Gonzalez, Giardello, show a very in shape and dangerous fighter, including the Tiger bout where he was knocked down twice and got up and fought back the whole fight.

Carter might have given B-Hop some real problems by backing him up. At 160lbs at 5'8" and B-Hop at 6'1" 160lbs he would probably outbox Rubin unless he made a mistake. Carter has been called a "Good" puncher not a "Great" puncher but I disagree with that.

He could end it with one shot any time you got nailed and he had both hands and fast, tremendous stamina too.

vCash

Thank you, Ron. Carter sounds like an incredibly well conditioned athlete, his training regime was brutal, would put a lot of current stars to shame with that form of training camp.

Peter.

Banned
    vCash

Well Ron

Of COURSE Duran would get hurt alot worse agianst Ruben!

"Duran would get hurt a lot worse than he did in his bout with Thomas Hearns for starters."

Duran Threw his bout with Hearns!

Sorry. Could not resist. Having a little fun at the expense of others.

Hawk

vCash

There was an article about Rita Figueroa in the Los Angeles Times yesterday. I can understand why there is an Illinois law which requires that an ambulance has to be at the boxing venue while a bout is taking place. But I don't understand why there wasn't a provision in the said law requiring that an injured fighter MUST be taken immediately to the hospital in the ambulance which is at the boxing venue while the bout which is taking place at the time is halted immediately and cannot resume until another ambulance arrives at the venue. This comes to mind because it is my understanding that the employees at the boxing venue were trying to prevent Figueroa from being taken to the hospital in the ambulance at the venue because a bout was taking place at the time.

- Chuck Johnston

vCash

It is always wise to have two ambulances available for an immediate response at a fight or perhaps Prom nights at certain High Schools.

Any head trauma needs immediate attention and at the fight in question they supposedly would not let the ambulance leave while another bout was going on.

So imagine someone leaving the ring with head pain which turns out to be a cerebral injury requiring brain surgery to stop the bleeding, being told to wait.

In other words, Oh you have a brain injury, sorry hang on awhile, while we wait to see if another one happens in the meantime. When the next fight is over and everyone is ok, we will then take you, in the meantime we will call another one, just have a seat and wait.

vCash

Ruben would beat Hopkins. People forget that Ruben was a very very fine boxer with a great jab and followup attack, as well as a iron chin. The Carter that fought Benton vs Roberto is NO CONTEST and he would defeat Hopkins as well. Bernard hasnt yet fought a middle with Rubens skills IMO. Different era and a much tuffer era than Robertos middle era as well as Hopkins turn. Duran went the distance with Hagler and Barkley but several middles from Carters era would have stopped Duran IMO.

vCash

I also have the gut feeling Rubin would be too much for B-Hop, different era and well put Rock. I believe Fernandez would have absolutely destroyed Duran as would Benton and Tiger, Giardello would have tied up in knots.

Good to hear from you.

Ron

vCash

Hi Ron,

Give us a pick, who wins later this year (if it happens) Manny Pacquaio or Floyd Mayweather?

Regards,

Peter

vCash

Hi Peter.

I am still fuming over the cancellation of their bout due to the facade imposed by PBF with regard to additional testing which Manny agreed to anyway. If ever someone avoided a bout when the other guy was ready and willing this was it.

A lot more about Manny's prowess will be shown tonight against rock hard Clottey although he is not in anyway a big puncher, but very durable. Pacquiao's speed should prevail without any unforeseen factors materializing.

If Pac man handles this big welter who will weigh in close to 160lb after making 147 it will amaze me even more.

Against Mayweather with a referee who will let them fight and not ruin the bout with overly officious bullshit, I go with PacMan against Mayweather who will run, run, back up, spread his legs so wide he'll be standing in two states, pull back, cover his face, his side, twist, roll, but not fight, just potshot and run and stink the joint out.

Manny would run him out of the ring if he stays on top of his game, but this Clottey fight will show us how great or what limitations he has with the big boys once again. The Cotto fight was a great win don't get me wrong but Miguel left a lot behind in the Margarito assault in the ring ordeal.

Clottey could surprise a lot of people tonight, one way or another, he is limited but very strong.

vCash

Thank you Ron. Tonight's fight will be prove a lot of things about Manny against the bigger men. Clottey is super tough.

vCash

Hi Ron. You knew and saw both George Foreman and Oscar Bonavena in their primes. What do you think would have happened had they met prime for prime? Foreman was strong, but Oscar was no slouch either(Nat Fleischer called him one of the strongest heavyweights ever). Plus he could hit like a mule and had a strong chin.

I'm not sure I can picture big George just walking in and overpowering such a strong, hard-hitting fighter as Oscar. If his countryman Gregorio Peralta could trouble GF with his awkwardness and durability, isn't it also conceivable that the bigger, stronger, harder-hitting and more durable Ringo could do so as well?

Could Oscar have made it a rough night for GF in your opinion? Does he have the whack to keep George from just walking in and steamrolling him?

vCash

You know that is a hell of a question. On fantasy fights I don't remember if me and the gang here covered that one, but what a fight that would be.

I saw Oscar's debut in the Garden and all his follow up fights and every early Foreman fight I could attend in person too.

You know what, there were two guys who I always wanted to see fight big George and that was Oscar and Jerry Quarry. Both at their best would have given him a hard fight because of their total lack of fear of him and their rugged styles. Frazier caught a different kind of hell from George because of his height and boxing style.

Oscar had both hands to hurt Foreman and a cement chin to go with it. I still go with George but he would get whacked but good. Remember Oscar put Frazier down with a right hand but hard, right in front of me, I will never forget it. Then the hook too. Oscar was one crazy son of a bitch and came to fight. His fight with Chuvalo was like two grizzly bears rearing up and mauling each other, amazing.

Oscar had very strong legs as did Foreman and a powerful torso and thick skull. Quarry's counter punching might have surprised big George too and Quarry had a will of iron. Norton did the job on Quarry with hand speed and combinations and Jerry was a bit out of shape for that one anyway.

The Quarry that handled Lyle, Shavers and Foster would have been a great fight with Foreman. Bonavena could have possibly upset Foreman but on paper it looks like George. Man they should have made those fights.

vCash

Of course it depends which Quarry showed up vs George. As Ron stated, the Quarry of the Foster and Lyle fights would have been hell on George. Oscar would have been tough for George too but I think Foreman would have beaten Oscar.

+ Reply to Thread