Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 2100

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

  1. #1651
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,509
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    You know that is a hell of a question. On fantasy fights I don't remember if me and the gang here covered that one, but what a fight that would be.

    I saw Oscar's debut in the Garden and all his follow up fights and every early Foreman fight I could attend in person too.

    You know what, there were two guys who I always wanted to see fight big George and that was Oscar and Jerry Quarry. Both at their best would have given him a hard fight because of their total lack of fear of him and their rugged styles. Frazier caught a different kind of hell from George because of his height and boxing style.

    Oscar had both hands to hurt Foreman and a cement chin to go with it. I still go with George but he would get whacked but good. Remember Oscar put Frazier down with a right hand but hard, right in front of me, I will never forget it. Then the hook too. Oscar was one crazy son of a bitch and came to fight. His fight with Chuvalo was like two grizzly bears rearing up and mauling each other, amazing.

    Oscar had very strong legs as did Foreman and a powerful torso and thick skull. Quarry's counter punching might have surprised big George too and Quarry had a will of iron. Norton did the job on Quarry with hand speed and combinations and Jerry was a bit out of shape for that one anyway.

    The Quarry that handled Lyle, Shavers and Foster would have been a great fight with Foreman. Bonavena could have possibly upset Foreman but on paper it looks like George. Man they should have made those fights.
    Thanks Ron. I agree on both counts. Oscar has the strength, power, awkwardness, iron chin and complete absence of fear to give Foreman hell. But one must favor GF. Oscar always seemed to FIND a way to lose fights he should have won.

  2. #1652
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    912
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Hi Ron, have you seen this latest about Rubin Carter? I know you and him go along way back. So Iím a bid sorry to say that this video makes me wanna throw up. What I see is a triple murder that was falsely set free making a hell of a good living out of his crime. And the most irritating part is that this Australian broadcaster is shamelessly repeating Carters innocent claim. Like as if there is no controversy. Donít the Australians have internet over there?

    Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter in Australia: guess why? White legalism's never-ending travesty of justice!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQhoJbzkwLg

    Regards Theo
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 03-16-2010 at 02:15 PM.

  3. #1653
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    912
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    What you saw in this video is beyond lying. That's why I have some criticism to you Ron. And that goes just aswell for Ali Bob Dylan and others who have helped in Carters release. We discussed this before and I know it’s a sensitive subject to you so I didn’t want to bother you with it anymore. Untill this video showed up. It changed my mind.

    You Ali Bob Dylan and others made this a public case. That’s my point. It gives you a certain responsibly. If the matter in the seventies was that justice should be served then it should be now just the same. Keeping quiet makes one a accomplice of injustice. I think it was in 1975 that I first heard about this. Here in small Holland! So you guys made all over the world a deep impact! As far as I could I always kept following the case until the bomb on internet exploded.

    Of course you all did it because you felt Carter was innocent. So you were doing the right thing. But now we know more then than. If you take a rational look at the facts Carter is not the innocent he says he is. And you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to make such conclusion.

    Today Bob Dylan says nothing. I’m sure he must have heard of and have seen Cal Deals website. But he keeps quiet. Unlike in the seventies when he was on Carters side. To get him out of prison. And now there’s a big controversy around the case he says nothing. No interviews. Like as if his opinion only mattered than. From a moral point of view this is very wrong. Even today as you can see in the video Bob Dylan and his song Hurricane are being used to support Carters case. And Bob says nothing. He silently agrees. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

    Was an innocent man imprisoned or is a triple murder set free? What's Bob's opinion? Today there are very strong arguments for the latter. So my feeling is that the people who once thought it was their duty to let the world know should speak out now just the same. At least they could give their opinion about the ‘new’ information. Ron you wrote somewhere on this thread that the 'new' information about Cater was very disturbing to you. Basically the 'new' information was there all along. Even without Cal Deal it was there. It just was denied rejected or belittled.

    Ron I hope I’ didn’t offend you. If Ali was healthy I would mail and ask him the same. This vid made me really throw up. Really! I’m disgusted that there’s so much injustice sold as justice and visa versa. And the public is buying it. And the guy gets away with it. Gets praised and applause for it. Every time! Brr

    Regards Theo
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 03-16-2010 at 07:00 PM.

  4. #1654
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Theo Netherland
    What you saw in this video is beyond lying.

    R. The whole case is upsetting to many people to this day on both sides of the fence and will never go away. Each person has their own reasons for sure. What upset you in particular about this specific video which really parrots what Carter has been saying for decades?



    That's why I have some criticism to you Ron.

    R. I did what I felt was right based on what I saw. I will address it all in my book at the time of my choosing.




    And that goes just aswell for Ali Bob Dylan and others who have helped in Carters release. We discussed this before and I know itís a sensitive subject to you so I didnít want to bother you with it anymore. Untill this video showed up. It changed my mind.

    R. Ok.

    You Ali Bob Dylan and others made this a public case. Thatís my point. It gives you a certain responsibly. If the matter in the seventies was that justice should be served then it should be now just the same.

    R. Justice always catches up to all of us. From Columbo,"Justice for the many, justice for the free, let everyman be paid in full, that's just enough for me."


    Keeping quiet makes one a accomplice of injustice.
    R. I respect your opinion. One of the best guys to speak to is someone who has a great rapport with Gil Clancy, our own Randy Gordon. Gil received a special call from Rubin while Carter was in Europe, I wish Gil would break his silence about that special request for help. Maybe Randy can get Gil to tell him about it after all these years.


    I think it was in 1975 that I first heard about this. Here in small Holland! So you guys made all over the world a deep impact! As far as I could I always kept following the case until the bomb on internet exploded.

    R. What bomb are you speaking about?

    Of course you all did it because you felt Carter was innocent. So you were doing the right thing.

    R. Oh yeah.


    But now we know more then than. If you take a rational look at the facts Carter is not the innocent he says he is. And you donít have to be a rocket scientist to make such conclusion.

    Today Bob Dylan says nothing. Iím sure he must have heard of and have seen Cal Deals website. But he keeps quiet. Unlike in the seventies when he was on Carters side.

    R. Its not a question of remaining silent for nefarious reasons, its also that life brings other problems to bear on us all, health, family etc.


    To get him out of prison. And now thereís a big controversy around the case he says nothing. No interviews. Like as if his opinion only mattered than.

    R. I see the case as always having controversy, nothing new has come out, there have always been opposing sides with ambivalent agendas. I have had my disappointments with Rubin as others have so you are singing to the choir.

    From a moral point of view this is very wrong. Even today as you can see in the video Bob Dylan and his song Hurricane are being used to support Carters case. And Bob says nothing. He silently agrees. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

    R, What should he say?

    Was an innocent man imprisoned or is a triple murder set free? What's Bob's opinion? Today there are very strong arguments for the latter. So my feeling is that the people who once thought it was their duty to let the world know should speak out now just the same. At least they could give their opinion about the Ďnewí information.

    R. What is the new information you refer to, is it just Cal Deal's site?
    It is disturbing yet there are some things I disagree with and others that give me pause.


    Ron you wrote somewhere on this thread that the 'new' information about Cater was very disturbing to you. Basically the 'new' information was there all along. Even without Cal Deal it was there. It just was denied rejected or belittled.

    R. Not entirely true. I am saying now that some of what is up there is disturbing, but I do not agree with other material. Many here on the Zone including Mike feel Rubin is guilty. Mike was an ADA , I was a criminal investigator for the Prosecutor's Office. Both of us are no dummies, believe me.

    Ron I hope Ií didnít offend you. If Ali was healthy I would mail and ask him the same.

    R. No offense taken, just want to know what about this particular video got you so angry besides Rubin's hat, which seems a bit too big.

    This vid made me really throw up. Really! Iím disgusted that thereís so much injustice sold as justice and visa versa. And the public is buying it. And the guy gets away with it. Gets praised and applause for it. Every time! Brr

    R. The murdered family's suffered, Carter suffered, and the case was a cesspool of lying, malfeasance, and suffering. I know its tough getting out of jail, drinking, making up for lost time, I just wish Carter had handled things a bit better with some of the people who stuck by him through those years.

    I did my best to help him, I really did, learned some things along the way, and I feel this is not the forum to talk about it, I wish him the best, and I have learned that the line from Michael Clayton spoken by the late great and talented director and actor Sydney Pollock is apt, "People are incomprehensible."


    Regards Theo
    Stay well Theo,

    Ron

  5. #1655
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,444
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    The hostess lost me with her opening line "His conviction was purely racist." I agree with Ron about the hat as well. Somebody tell Nicolai Valuev it's been located.

  6. #1656
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    LOL

  7. #1657
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,444
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Who am I kidding. On Valuev that hat would probably still look like a yamaka.

  8. #1658
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    912
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Hi Ron.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    What bomb are you speaking about?
    That was an unlucky line of mine. I meant all of a sudden there was a whole lot of information available, it exploded, because of internet. Before this you could only sporadically hear Carters side of the story.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    What should he (Dylan) say?
    In the seventies he was part of a team that tried to mobilise as much people as they could to support Carter. In my life I have only bought one Bob Dylan record and that’s Desire because of Hurricane. The way I see it now the lyrics of Hurricane are beyond the poetic freedom of the author. They are manipulative, facts are denied, made up, or distorted in a way to get Carter the sympathy of the listener. Dylan must have known very soon that there was something wrong here. According to Deal’s website he hasn’t played Hurricane live since 1975. As far as I know without any explanation. He stopped playing it after Carter made the news that he beat a woman, I believe Kelly was her name, into the hospital. At the same time Muhammad Ali also turned his back on him.

    What should Dylan say? Well looking at the facts, with the knowledge of today, one may conclude that because of Dylan a triple murder is set free. I would ask him if he thinks that, because of his actions, justice has been served. And if so, then he should be able to refute many of the accusations you can find on Deal’s website. And if he can’t refute them, why does he still think Carter is innocent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    What is the new information you refer to, is it just Cal Deal's site?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    I am saying now that some of what is up there is disturbing, but I do not agree with other material. Many here on the Zone including Mike feel Rubin is guilty. Mike was an ADA , I was a criminal investigator for the Prosecutor's Office. Both of us are no dummies, believe me.?
    Can you give an example of some of the things you don’t agree on? At this moment I haven’t seen anybody that is critical to, or refuting anything of what is said at Cal Deal’s website. No one goes against it. Not even Carter. If I was unjustfully incarnated, set free because I’m innocent, then I would sue any person that came up with this. If your innocent this is murder of character.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    No offense taken, just want to know what about this particular video got you so angry besides Rubin's hat, which seems a bit too big.
    What pisses me the most off of that video is that there’s not a single word of truth in it. I’m not even irritated that much by Carter himself, but more by the people who without any criticism give him this podium. These Australian journalists are rubbish. They are not doing their work. The least they could do is ask Carter about some questions that have been raised lately. Just give him the opportunity to set things straight. And also they should buy him a new hat!

    Regards Theo
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 03-17-2010 at 08:53 AM.

  9. #1659
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Theo Netherland
    Hi Ron.



    That was an unlucky line of mine. I meant all of a sudden there was a whole lot of information available, it exploded, because of internet. Before this you could only sporadically hear Carters side of the story.

    R. Ok


    In the seventies he was part of a team that tried to mobilise as much people as they could to support Carter. In my life I have only bought one Bob Dylan record and thatís Desire because of Hurricane. The way I see it now the lyrics of Hurricane are beyond the poetic freedom of the author. They are manipulative, facts are denied, made up, or distorted in a way to get Carter the sympathy of the listener. Dylan must have known very soon that there was something wrong here. According to Dealís website he hasnít played Hurricane live since 1975. As far as I know without any explanation. He stopped playing it after Carter made the news that he beat a woman, I believe Kelly was her name, into the hospital. At the same time Muhammad Ali also turned his back on him.

    R. I remember the incident well, and I knew Carolyn Kelly before it happened and afterward. I cannot speak for Dylan and I met him when he came to visit Carter in Clinton prison in NJ. Same with Ali, although Ali did not turn his back on Carter completely. While alone with Ali there were some things said but I will not discuss them in this forum.

    What should Dylan say? Well looking at the facts, with the knowledge of today, one may conclude that because of Dylan a triple murder is set free. I would ask him if he thinks that, because of his actions, justice has been served. And if so, then he should be able to refute many of the accusations you can find on Dealís website. And if he canít refute them, why does he still think Carter is innocent?

    R. Cannot speak for him Theo, and he may not care at this stage of his life after some of the medical problems he has had. This case angers many to this day, yet there are some people who actually believe it is forgotten and do not care. You obviously are one who does care and it upsets you. I understand.



    Yes.



    Can you give an example of some of the things you donít agree on? At this moment I havenít seen anybody that is critical to, or refuting anything of what is said at Cal Dealís website. No one goes against it. Not even Carter. If I was unjustfully incarnated, set free because Iím innocent, then I would sue any person that came up with this. If your innocent this is murder of character.

    R. I disagree with the rose tinted picture of some of the Prosecution team and police involved. I knew them, saw what they did, heard it and it ain't pretty. I also disagree respectfully with Cal as to how the case was handled and the actual behavior and conduct of the players, which I saw myself.
    If someone is guilty and it is felt they are, that is fine, but when the Prosecutor and certain cops run amok in a frenzy to convict and are breaking the law themselves and abusing the system along with a judge it becomes criminal in its own right and weakens us all and our honorable and one of a kind system of justice.


    What pisses me the most off of that video is that thereís not a single word of truth in it. Iím not even irritated that much by Carter himself, but more by the people who without any criticism give him this podium. These Australian journalists are rubbish. They are not doing their work. The least they could do is ask Carter about some questions that have been raised lately. Just give him the opportunity to set things straight. And also they should buy him a new hat!

    R. I undestand. Rube is the son of a preacher and is a good public speaker, he radiates a powerful presence. I only wish he cared a bit more about finding out the truth about other matters and showed a bit more concern for those who put it on the line for him, howerver I am repelled by an overkill Fox News approach jamming down one theroy with the word of the day as much as I am nauseated by a liberal who will believe anything. Both extremes are unwise and create each other.

    In my book I will discuss this topic more, but not here.



    Regards Theo
    best,
    Ron

  10. #1660
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Incheon, South Korea
    Posts
    1,893
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Well I can say one thing Ronnie. This discussion is making me more and more interested in your book. When does it come out?

  11. #1661
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    I am working on it day by day, with many interruptions which is par for the course, and the literary interest from several publishers is there and I have to make a choice.

    I thank you so much for your interest.

    I know this for sure, no matter who you are, there will ALWAYS be friends and enemies to either support and help you or out of jealousy and hatred thwart you and nothing on earth can change the truth of what actually happened, so all that mattes is you do what you have to.

    best,
    Ron

  12. #1662
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    912
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Thanx for your answer Ron.

    After the second world war there were many naziewarcrimals that got away with it. They escaped to all over the world. Very quick it was made up that their search should never stop. So even if they never have got caught, they never had a moment of rest. They should always beware. This is still going on! I have a similar feeling with Carter. At least life shouldn’t be as easy for him as it is now.

    I didn’t know Bob Dylan is sick. I wish him all the best!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    This case angers many to this day, yet there are some people who actually believe it is forgotten and do not care. You obviously are one who does care and it upsets you. I understand.
    I first heard about this in a documentary in 1975. I was fourteen. Later in the seventies there were some updates. I followed it as much as I could. Bought around 1977 Dylan’s Desire. Anyhow, great lyrics! And later when I started buying American boxing magazines once and a while I'd read the few lines that were spent on this case. So this subject was always a bit on my mind. When I discovered Cal Deals website I was really shocked. Saw right away his logics were sound. Most of the articles there I‘ve been reading multiple times.

    Carter has become, as he wanted, a public figure. Still I cannot find any recent critical interviews. There are no journalists that give him a hard time. Life must be easy for Carter. He seems to be totally obsessed with his innocence project and only deals with questions about that. By showing up in programs like that in Australia he is challenging the world. He is saying ‘look at me you fools, catch me if you can’. He is constantly in the centre of attention while it would be smarter in his controversial case to keep a low profile. But he doesn’t. There is so much controversy around him, and he fuels it himself. So I think it’s time for himself to open up. Sets things straight! For his fans! Or else, someone must give him a hard time.

    Regards Theo
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 03-18-2010 at 02:09 PM.

  13. #1663
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    When the Federal Court via Judge Leo Sarokin overturned the conviction and ordered Carter released, the Passaic County Prosecutor's office did not retry the case and the indictments were dismissed forever.

    Carter does not have to run, hide or worry about being caught as to an analogous situation you made of a "Nazi war criminal."

    If a film surfaced of the Lafayette Bar and Grill slayings showing him and Artis committing the killings he would be charged today with new evidence for example. If a taped phone call existed where he admitted the killings that would be new evidence.

    Other than that, it is between him and God and spending 19 years and 7 months in jail and prison is not getting off easy, nor is losing the sight in your eye, your family and your health.

    However you are making the point that all of that it is better off than the dead people are because you believe he is guilty. He will soon be 74 years old and we all have to answer for everything in our lives, you, him, me and everyone else.

    In that perspective, there is no escape from anything, just like in the movie "Unforgiven," Clint Eastwood's character of William Munney said, "We all got it coming."

  14. #1664
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Leicester, UK.
    Posts
    1,669
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Hello Mr Lipton

    Hope you are keeping well. I have a slightly different question for you if you don't mind,

    Here in the UK there has always been a healthy 'underground' Boxing scene. Call them smokers. unlicensed, pirate shows, white collar etc we all know they go on outside the sanctioning of the BBBofC and in the cases of bare knuckle fights outside the law in general. This scene had a bit of a hey-day in the late 1970's with the likes of Roy Shaw, Lenny Mclean, Harry Starbuck etc a scene where a young Frank Warren started out promoting.

    It still goes on today only recently Butterbean fought here on an unlicensed bill and got Ko'd by former Heavyweight pro Mark Potter.

    Often ex-pro's or even amateur (often under different names) take part but mostly it's just street fighters, doormen and wannabie hardmen.

    Then there is the even more violent bare knuckle fights were often anything goes, often taking place in isolated warehouses of barns out in the country.

    Well, my question is what are your opinions on the above in general, have you seen much of the same thing happening Stateside? I know Ron Stander dabbled in the scene and heard rumours a 'retired' Leon Spinks as well.

    Many thanks.

  15. #1665
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    912
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Hi Ron

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    Carter does not have to run, hide or worry about being caught as to an analogous situation you made of a "Nazi war criminal."
    Don’t misunderstand me, I know he won’t go back to prison. I see it like the OJ Simpson case. The judges ruled him innocent but for too many people he is guilty like hell. So he became an outcast. No more parties for OJ. Many of his friends left him. Carter on the other hand only seems to make friends. And he is the one that left his friends instead of visa versa. Yes he must be a very talented person. He can sell anything. Even the biggest nonsense. He may have potential to be a sect leader!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    If a film surfaced of the Lafayette Bar and Grill slayings showing him and Artis committing the killings he would be charged today with new evidence for example. If a taped phone call existed where he admitted the killings that would be new evidence.
    When OJ Simpson was let go the family of Nicole Brown and Ronald Goldman filed a civil trail or whatever you call it. Can’t the relatives of the triple murder victims do the same? This a question that I wanted to ask a long time!

    Seeing him in Australia really pisses me off. But who am I? I’m just a vup, a very unimportant person, where no one listens to. But there are others, like the relative of the victims. How do they respond when they see this? Over the dead bodies of their beloved ones this guy makes 20.000 dollar per speech. At least that what I’d read. They can make a whole lotta noise. Get media attention if they want to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    However you are making the point that all of that it is better off than the dead people are because you believe he is guilty. He will soon be 74 years old and we all have to answer for everything in our lives, you, him, me and everyone else.
    I’m an atheist so I won’t bet on the hereafter. Want action today! I believe I know so much about Carter by now that I’m sure he will get at least a hundred years. In good health! He will outlive us all! In the end he will be one of the most honoured and decorated Americans ever. There will be streets named after him. New discovered planets will get his name. His face will be on a dollar bill.

    Yes I believe he did it. But, correct me if I’m wrong, as far as I know it has never been proven Carter fired the shots. One of his buddies may have dun it just aswell. He was convicted on circumstantial evidence. The reason I nevertheless think he’s guilty is because his story is cocooned in lies. As good as all the arguments that he uses, that are to his advantages, are checkable untruths.

    Regards Theo.
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 03-18-2010 at 06:07 PM.

  16. #1666
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KOJOE90
    Hello Mr Lipton

    Hope you are keeping well. I have a slightly different question for you if you don't mind,

    Here in the UK there has always been a healthy 'underground' Boxing scene. Call them smokers. unlicensed, pirate shows, white collar etc we all know they go on outside the sanctioning of the BBBofC and in the cases of bare knuckle fights outside the law in general. This scene had a bit of a hey-day in the late 1970's with the likes of Roy Shaw, Lenny Mclean, Harry Starbuck etc a scene where a young Frank Warren started out promoting.

    It still goes on today only recently Butterbean fought here on an unlicensed bill and got Ko'd by former Heavyweight pro Mark Potter.

    R. I would love to see a film of that one.

    Often ex-pro's or even amateur (often under different names) take part but mostly it's just street fighters, doormen and wannabie hardmen.

    Then there is the even more violent bare knuckle fights were often anything goes, often taking place in isolated warehouses of barns out in the country.

    Well, my question is what are your opinions on the above in general, have you seen much of the same thing happening Stateside? I know Ron Stander dabbled in the scene and heard rumours a 'retired' Leon Spinks as well.

    Many thanks.

    R, Much too dangerous and the potential for serious injury is high. After a lifetime in pro boxing, street fights, Judo matches, wrestling, amateur boxing,
    bar brawls as a bouncer, it has to be supervised and done right otherwise people will die or be crippled for life.

    Must have professionals handling everything, and you know what even when they do fighters die anyway. Has to be done the best way possible to protect these brave fighters. Things get out of control too fast.

  17. #1667
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    From one V.U.P. to another,
    the whole case is a source of great pain to many, me too.

    R.

  18. #1668
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Louth, Ireland
    Posts
    5,150
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Hi Ron,

    I am not sure if you have also judged boxing matches; but what do you make of the fact
    that the judges "seem" to be positioned at ringside and have to look up at the action during a bout. They appear to be lower down than the floor of the ring. Is this the case? This seems to me not to be the best position to clearly see the action and judge the quality. Any thoughts? The ropes too can hinder their view.

    Thanks

  19. #1669
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by walshb
    Hi Ron,

    I am not sure if you have also judged boxing matches; but what do you make of the fact
    that the judges "seem" to be positioned at ringside and have to look up at the action during a bout. They appear to be lower down than the floor of the ring. Is this the case? This seems to me not to be the best position to clearly see the action and judge the quality. Any thoughts? The ropes too can hinder their view.

    Thanks
    R. Hi buddy,

    Yes, I have judged a title fight and my son Brett also judged 6 pro bouts and did a great job too. You make good points and I agree, there are just so many places you can put them close to the action and the higher chair they give them is the best the Comm can come up with without blocking the audience, and everyone else who has an agenda including the photographers who have actually yelled at me while refereeing to get out of "Their" way. LOL.

  20. #1670
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Louth, Ireland
    Posts
    5,150
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    R. Hi buddy,

    Yes, I have judged a title fight and my son Brett also judged 6 pro bouts and did a great job too. You make good points and I agree, there are just so many places you can put them close to the action and the higher chair they give them is the best the Comm can come up with without blocking the audience, and everyone else who has an agenda including the photographers who have actually yelled at me while refereeing to get out of "Their" way. LOL.
    Thanks Ron. I just always felt that of all the people in attendance, the judges should be the ones best able to see the action as clear as possible, and at times, when you see them with the neck strained look from having to look upwards, it appears to be less than ideal.

  21. #1671
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    912
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    From one V.U.P. to another,
    the whole case is a source of great pain to many, me too.

    R.
    Oke Ron, thanks! Lets leave the Carter subject and go back to boxing. You mentioned Gil Clancy. He became George Foreman’s trainer after he had lost to Ali. I have a question about that. Can’t ask it Clancy himself but maybe you can. I’d read Clancy softened George’s style a bid. Made him a bid less aggressive so that something like in Kinshasa, running out of gas, wouldn’t happen again. Still this make me wonder why. Should you change a so highly effective style because of only one loss? How good you are there always be someone you’re not able to deal with. If this someone shows up once per forty fights that’s no reason for a change I would say. In this case it wasn’t just someone but it was Ali. Also take in consideration Foreman was not even in his prime yet. What are your thoughts about this Ron?

    Regards Theo
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 03-20-2010 at 10:01 AM.

  22. #1672
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Theo Netherland
    Oke Ron, thanks! Lets leave the Carter subject and go back to boxing. You mentioned Gil Clancy. He became George Foremanís trainer after he had lost to Ali. I have a question about that. Canít ask it Clancy himself but maybe you can. Iíd read Clancy softened Georgeís style a bid. Made him a bid less aggressive so that something like in Kinshasa, running out of gas, wouldnít happen again. Still this make me wonder why. Should you change a so highly effective style because of only one loss? How good you are there always be someone youíre not able to deal with. If this someone shows up once per forty fights thatís no reason for a change I would say. In this case it wasnít just someone but it was Ali. Also take in consideration Foreman was not even in his prime yet. What are your thoughts about this Ron?

    Regards Theo
    R. Foreman had some strange relationships with various trainers. As to the idea that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," yes of course that has merit.
    George was a successful concussion puncher whose wrecking balls did the job on Boone Kirkman, Norton, Frazier, and busted up iron chinned Chuvalo while having great difficulty with thin and non powerful Gregorio Peralta and of course shooting his load against Ali and getting served.

    When Jimmy Young did his usual frustrating job on George like he did to Lyle twice, exhausted Foreman had his epiphany with God in the dressing room afterward, while vomiting strange bile, hallucinating and running naked into the arena with Gil in tow.

    Gil did a wonderful job with Emile Griffith and had a very symbiotic relationship with the then management of MSG and the gym we all trained in, the Solar gym 28th street bath house in NYC had many Garden main eventers there, all with Gil getting them fights and hat designer Howie Albert becomeing a "Boxing man," after Gil let him be in the corner.

    Gil said in a published interview that he had about 5 bouts in the Navy as a middleweight, then went on to college to get a degree and teach in High School. He then ran the Dept of Parks gym mentioned.

    Trying to make Foreman box more would be like teaching a Grizzly bear how to ride a unicycle in the circus. Foreman then opted for Angelo Dundee a great cornerman to have with him in a major fight where the advice given to George on TV picked up by the cameras by Angelo was, "Just keep Boppin."

    It was like Regan saying, "Tear that wall down," and of course Regan was immortalized just for saying that original idea no one ever conceived of before.

    So, "Box more, don't load up, don't look for the KO, it will come, keep boppin,"
    are all poignant comments from the Mount, to give 1/3 of your purse or 10% of your purse for, but George would not listen to well, the only guy he ever listened to, but would yell at too, was Charlie Shipes who really taught him to fight.

    If I had to have window dressing in my corner, I would want a stocking model in a garter belt, and for fighting inspiration Dick Tiger and Tony Zale.
    I would do the fighting and keep my money.

  23. #1673
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    912
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Thanks for your answer!

  24. #1674
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    You are most welcome, and I would add if George had kept his hands up instead of literally down around his waist after he threw each punch in the Lyle fight, he would have been hit a lot less in return.

    I am sure Gil told him what to do, but the word was he does not listen and does things totally his way. Even when you have a guy who is a successful boxer or a thunderous puncher who has a great winning streak, there is always something to fine tune and adjust depending upon who you are fighting so that winning record stays in tact.

    Those who try to change it all are making a mistake as you suggested, but to add to the arsenal and repertoire is always wise to meld it to the battle directly ahead.

  25. #1675
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    912
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Ron you said Foreman didn’t listen very well to his trainers. Neither did Ali I believe. It’s probably the reason why Angelo Dundee could last a career. Still these are two of the most successful boxers ever. But, if you ever use them as an example, you implicitly advise not to listen to trainers. How about that?
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 03-21-2010 at 05:41 PM.

  26. #1676
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    912
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Ron what do you think of my idea that a fighter like Foreman has the rules of boxing against him? From this point of view I see him as the best heavyweight of all time! I’ll mention some of his great qualities.

    First, in every fight he is the one going forward. And all of his opponents are going backward. Non of them wants the confrontation while boxing is all about confrontation. Ali, Young, Holyfield, whoever, they all had to avoid him and think of a strategy to win. Beating was not the word. Hardly no one stepped in the ring with they idea to beat Foreman. Or they didn’t want to lose, or they wanted to win. Only Ali beat Foreman. The way I see it, that was more the result of a lucky gamble then of wisdom. Ali just went through the eye of the needle. While I say this, believe me, Ali is my all time hero! To become my all time hero, you have to go through that eye!

    Second, George has an iron chin like no champion before. His only KO loss, against Ali, was more because fatigue then chin.

    And most important, I can’t think of any fighter that has the ability to regain the (real!) heavyweight title after 20 years. Only the most outstanding of the outstanding are able to do such thing. There must be above normal championqualities to beat the champion of 20 years later on. Foreman is the only one this far.

    What’s your opinion Ron? I said that I believe that Foreman (and some others) has the rules of boxing against him. George Foreman’s problem is that boxing lacks a rule, like in judo and wrestling against passivity, against avoiding confrontation…

    Regards Theo
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 03-21-2010 at 07:24 PM.

  27. #1677
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Theo Netherland
    Ron you said Foreman didnít listen very well to his trainers. Neither did Ali I believe. Itís probably the reason why Angelo Dundee could last a career. Still these are two of the most successful boxers ever. But, if you ever use them as an example, you implicitly advise not to listen to trainers. How about that?
    R. No I would never say do not listen to your trainer, BUT it depends why you have the trainer there. Ali and Foreman certainly did have that in common about being guys who were hard to tell what to do.

    Angelo has made it public many times about how he survived in Ali's camp, easy flow, easy goes it, no controversy, and it paid off as he traveled the world with Ali and shared it all. Ali came to Angelo not the other way around and Ali always respected and loved him.

    Ali came to see Angie when he had Willie Pastrano who I got to meet, and Ali really liked Willie. Archie Moore tried to tell Ali to sweep up in training camp and it was goodbye Mongoose.

    Ali and Angie worked well together, Angie never had a glove on but was with the great Carmen Basilio and so many others in that corner, he was a precious commodity. Ray Leonard did not want to give him a 1/3 when the purses got big and boxing is boxing behind the scenes when it comes to the bucks.

    George was a force and if he felt he needed something after being deflated by Ali well he went and got Angelo, can't beat em, join them. He had Clancy too as you said, but his thing was knocking you the fuck out and winging from the floor, not being told what to do.

    It is hard for many prize fighters to have someone who never had any real fights telling them what to do, as a boxing expert. Cut man, corner man, cheerleader-motivator, physical fitness trainer, yeah, fight teacher for strategy and skill, you need the right man.

  28. #1678
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Theo Netherland
    Ron what do you think of my idea that a fighter like Foreman has the rules of boxing against him? From this point of view I see him as the best heavyweight of all time! Iíll mention some of his great qualities.

    R. He truly would have kicked the living dog shit out of most of them.

    First, in every fight he is the one going forward. And all of his opponents are going backward. Non of them wants the confrontation while boxing is all about confrontation. Because you mentioned it I just saw his fight with Lyle again. Just to check if Iím correct with what I said. Indeed, also KO-artist Ron Lyle circles around Foreman, and not, the other way around. But he showed a lot of guts! Ali, Young, Holyfield, whoever, they all had to avoid him and think of a strategy to win. Beating was not the word. No one ever stepped in the ring with they idea to beat Foreman. Or they didnít want to lose, or they wanted to win. Only Ali beat Foreman. The way I see it, that was more the result of a lucky gamble then of wisdom. Ali just went through the eye of the needle. While I say this, believe me, Ali is my all time hero! To become my all time hero, you have to go through the eye!

    Second, George has an iron chin like no champion before. His only KO loss, against Ali, was more because fatigue then chin.

    And most important, I canít think of any fighter that has the ability to regain the (real!) heavyweight title after 20 years. Only the most outstanding of the outstanding are able to do such thing. There must be above normal championqualities to beat the champion of 20 years later on.

    Whatís your opinion Ron? I said that I believe that Foreman, and some others, have the rules of boxing against him. George Foremanís problem is that boxing lacks a rule, like in judo and wrestling against passivity, against avoiding confrontationÖ

    Regards Theo
    R. As said, Foreman was a force, could take a trimming from Lyle and still win, he took tremendous punishment in the Alex Stewart fight and did not quit either. I competed in Judo and have a black belt, giving way is the way in Judo, in boxing there are many styles and sometimes the rapier beats the bludgeon, other times the reverse is true, one thing for sure, anything and everything happens in that ring when they ring the bell.

    Foreman V Lennox Lewis as written up by The Ring Magazine fantasy fight issue years ago had Lewis knocking out George. I don't think so, I think it goes the other way.

  29. #1679
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,444
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Ron, I remember reading that Clancy's main objective in training Foreman was to have him throw straighter punches. The words Gil use was 'The shortest distance to an object is travelled in a straight line." The other objective was to have him pace himself.

    Whether or not George paid any attention though is a whole other matter although in fairness George looked very impressive under Gil for Frazier II, Dennis and Ledoux.

    Ironically, pacing himself probably cost him vs. Jimmy Young. I always though George would have overwhelmed Jimmy and stopped him within seven if he had have fought more aggressively out of the gate.

  30. #1680
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500

    Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 10-8
    Ron, I remember reading that Clancy's main objective in training Foreman was to have him throw straighter punches. The words Gil use was 'The shortest distance to an object is travelled in a straight line." The other objective was to have him pace himself.

    R. One cannot argue with that advice as it is true, yet in Foreman's case his unorthodox delivery is what Theo is saying got him to the top, so why change it. Both views have merit.

    Whether or not George paid any attention though is a whole other matter although in fairness George looked very impressive under Gil for Frazier II, Dennis and Ledoux.

    R. He did for sure.

    Ironically, pacing himself probably cost him vs. Jimmy Young. I always though George would have overwhelmed Jimmy and stopped him within seven if he had have fought more aggressively out of the gate.
    R. I always felt the same way. Savagery overcomes skill and cute moxie, plain, pure and vicious savagery. It truly might have worked, it did for Shavers when he stopped Young.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia Links Home