Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 70 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

vCash

Ron Lipton & Emile Griffith in 2002

Here's a photo of Ron Lipton (left) with Emile Griffith in 2002.

Cheers,

Juan C. Ayllon

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A String

Griffith still has impressive shoulder width even at his age and Ron has a stronger build than most active twenty year olds who lift. I wouldn't want to take a punch to the head or torso from either. I have a feeling Ron that you're going to age like a Jack Dempsey where you'll still be knocking younger guys out in your seventies. You've heard the one about an old Dempsey and the two would be muggers? It's of my favorite stories.

On the topic of training and fitness I've been running and sprinting in the park now that I have more free time and I've been thinking of getting back into shape and giving amateur boxing another try. When I trained, a few years ago, I didn't want to know anything about setting my shots up or give any thought to positioning, feinting, trying to keep a step ahead the opponent. I wanted to be the aggressor at all times, and fought behind a very hard but predictable jab. Needless to say, I was countered often and beat up a lot. I've since learned it was such a foolish battle plan and that even the greatest, and at first glance crudest, pressure fighters employed subtleties that went right over my head as a teenager. I think now at 22 I can take boxing much more seriously and get a lot more out of my training than when I was 16.

That was a bit off topic but something that's been on my mind. What do you think, is it worth it to go back to boxing now at 22 after so much time? Keep in mind I've sparred but have never had an official amateur bout and my skill level was intermediate at best. I'm not harboring fantasies of being a world beater but I think I have a lot of functional strength and courage to offer in the amateur ranks and I bet I could achieve some victories there that I'd be proud of later in life.

vCash

Achilles:

I'm no expert but I'd say go for it -- I'm 34 and I regret never having taken any steps into the ring -- you've started down the path already and to resume and proceed to fight at 22 doesn't seem like a bad idea at all... of course this is more a matter of advice from a boxing fanatic with regrets than a boxing expert with firsthand knowledge...

Ron:

Spending the day with a great man -- and I'm speaking of both you and Emile Griffith! Amazing -- I don't know if this will stir bad memories for the Champ, but if it comes up, everyone I've loaned Ring of Fire to came back to me and was just awed by this unique and gentle and determined man... BTW, let me know if you need anything taped -- any time...

Greg:

Awesome that you've seen so many greats in the flesh... I envy that! In my current hometown Toronto there is so little boxing, but I go on boxrec and there was a time this was more or less (well, maybe less) a hotbed! Even Panama Al Brown boxed here... now... not much!

vCash

Ironbar
    The more i read your posts the more i warm to you old buddy your my kind of guy and i can well understand you being overwhelmed just like i was at first by the famous people like Ron Lipton that post here. Tell you a little secret i took about 8 months to pluck up enough courage to post here. Now i feel i am one of them. Well i agree that's stretching the point a little but i am sure you grasp my meaning. What always amazes me is i think Ron is probably the toughest man i have ever had any correspondence with and even at my peak years he could have blown me away i feel sure of that. Yet he is so polite and i can tell he hates the bullies of this world. That why i respect that man so very much. I can also tell he has a short fuse, But treat him with respect and you have a friend for life and a guy who you could put your life in his hands. Sorry if i am making you blush Ron but thats how i feel about you anyway and at my age of 67 hell if you like someone fxxxking tell em.

vCash

Iron bar and Danny,
    thank you so much for your heartfelt posts.

Emile will be coming over one week later on May 20 and it is scheduled rain for our walk in the park up here. I will tell him how much and how well he is rembered by the whole cyberboxingzone family.

I have shown Ring of Fire to all my boxing classes and not once is there a dry eye in the house among the toughest kids I know. It always gets me too because Emile is so sincere and such a thoughful person. I have such a good feeling from the way Benny Kid Paret Jr handled himself. What a good person he is, God Bless his understanding heart.

Thanks for the offer of taping fights, because I can get nothing here if it wasn't for the kindness of a few guys like Austin and Karl.

I wanted to see the UFC fight where the title changed hands recently in that rematch and I can't wait to see Matt Hughes v Royce Gracie if anyone can get it when they fight around the end of May.

thank you so much again for your kind words, and I feel the same way about you guys too.

Ron

vCash

Kid Achilles,

how are you doing?

You can certainly get back into boxing as long as you really prepare yourself and ask how much you want it. Any sparring is a risk for head damage, and boxing training for actual fighting is another world in itself from training like a fighter and supplementing that training with wise bodybuilding regimens and diet.

As far as your "predictable hard jab" remember, the jab is everything and everything comes off of it. Fight relaxed and develope some quick combinations delivered correctly. To make training really count, be a thinking fighter and hone all your techniques to a razor's edge before you spar with anyone and I do mean anyone.

Your two hands should be able to do anything from any angle, changing the rhythm of your punches. I just made up a tape, crudely with a rented video camera, for another guy on how to increase hand speed. I did this tape with a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder but it came out ok.

I stress that each punch at all times, be delivered like a computer launch with all body muscle fiber behind the launch. Not in an exhausting way of tightening up, but relaxed and then explode with good form, stepping in, good torque, hand speed, strong hand squeeze upon landing and fast leg and torso movement all as one unit, in delivery and then getting out of the way.

Hey man, listen to me, to do all this stuff well, for sparring, taking shots back, you really have to feel it is worth it. As strong as Mayorga was, he was still smoking, running only 5 miles, while DLH was running 7, could not match the handspeed, and no matter how tough he thought he was with all his vicious trash talk, he got the natural dog shit kicked out of him, and to me the shots were no Rubin Carter-Henry Hank shots either, boom he had enough.

When you have fast hands, live clean, punch hard, pay your dues in training, think positive and believe in yourself, you win.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Ronnie wrote:

"I have shown Ring of Fire to all my boxing classes and not once is there a dry eye in the house among the toughest kids I know"

I know what you mean, man! Mrs. Bucket is not into boxing at all. Her involvement usuallly goes as far as, "Boy, that Oscar de la Hoya sure is hot!"

As you can probably tell, me & the mrs. don't discuss boxing much.

BUT ... I actually got her to sit down & watch the Griffith doc. She knew who he was because she remembers watching the Paret fight with her dad when she was a little girl. & that was the extent of what she knew about Emile.

I put it on & she was instantly glued to the show. By the end she was crying harder than she does for those really treacly "chick" movies she loves. She was incredibly moved by Griffith's story & the final scene's with Benny Jr. had her bawling like a baby ...

Truth be told, everytime I've watched, even the Ol' Spit Bucket leaks a little. As I wrote after I first saw it, "If this documentary doesn't move you than you don't have a heart & are not human".

For Mrs. Bucket it wasn't so much a boxing film but a drama about the violence that was part of the life of a man as gentle, kind & giving as Emile Griffith.

Lastly, I want to 2nd Iron bar's & Danny's comments about Ron. I feel exactly the same way.

GorDoom

vCash

Thank you so much Bucket,

I will take photos of Emile when he comes here and share them with the zone.

I know the old champ's memory is not too good, but he does remember many interesting things about his fights, and I will talk with him and pass it on.

I just spoke to Jose Torres yesterday, and we are on for a one on one interview at his house in the near future, which I will share on the zone with everyone.

thank you my boxing buddies,
    God Bless

vCash

Danny -- you are so right -- and you are right at home here! I love your posts and you mix it up with the rest and best of 'em!

Gor -- "Ring of Fire" got to my missus too -- and me of course -- as well as her old mom and dad... Not exactly in the same specific subcategory of boxing documentary (if there are subgenres boxing docs), but my wife really liked "Unforgivable Blackness" too. Who woulda thunk that? She kept asking, "When will we see part two?" I finally had to buy the DVD as the tape was in rought shape.

Ron -- I "third" what Danny and Gor said... You must have a heart as big as 'Jersey... BTW, I am looking forward to your article/interview with Jose Torres -- I've got the Olympic final program with him vs. Laszlo Papp -- two legends like that squaring off for the gold in 1956 -- incredible!

vCash

thank you pal,

If you could scan that program and e-mail it to me, or mail me a copy, I would like to surprise Jose Torres with it. Please give me an e-mail so I can reach you and thank you Sir.

Ron

vCash

On Tuesday, I am doing a cable tv show homage to Floyd Patterson with Tracy Patterson and his cornerman Brian Burke.

It should be a nice show for the people in our area here.

best,

Ron

vCash

Ron,

Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement. I think I'm going to get into shape, one way or another, and ease my way back into the boxing.

I'm glad to hear about the tribute to Patterson. It must be a tough time for you, having been fortunate enough to have spent time with him. He always seemed so young in recent pictures I've seen of him, kind of like Schmeling in how healthy he looked for his age, and I had no idea about his having cancer.

I have a question. What Patterson fights would you recommend to me as his finest moments? I've seen the Ali fights, the second Johansson fight I believe, and highlights of his fight with Moore, but I'm planning on ordering some fights soon and I'd like to see more of him. I loved watching his victory over an old Moore. Blinding speed and really underrated power. If you don't mind answering, what is your opinion of:

1. The fight where Floyd looked to be at top form in terms of handspeed and overall quickness.
    2. His greatest display of power (I'm assuming it was against Johansson- what a brutal left hook and the aftermath is still frightening to watch)
    3. Fight where he had to dig the deepest and tough it out.

I hope, and this is a longshot, that they run a reprint of his autobiography. I'm heard it really is an inspiration to read and delves into his battles with depression throughout his life. I haven't seen much of his fights but from what I've read of Patterson, he was a unique individual and a credit to the sporting world. I wish there were many more like him in the fight game, but then I guess that would take away some of what made him special.

vCash

Thanks Kid,

" have a question. What Patterson fights would you recommend to me as his finest moments? I've seen the Ali fights, the second Johansson fight I believe, and highlights of his fight with Moore, but I'm planning on ordering some fights soon and I'd like to see more of him. I loved watching his victory over an old Moore. Blinding speed and really underrated power. If you don't mind answering, what is your opinion of:

1. The fight where Floyd looked to be at top form in terms of handspeed and overall quickness.
    2. His greatest display of power (I'm assuming it was against Johansson- what a brutal left hook and the aftermath is still frightening to watch)
    3. Fight where he had to dig the deepest and tough it out.

I hope, and this is a longshot, that they run a reprint of his autobiography. I'm heard it really is an inspiration to read and delves into his battles with depression throughout his life. I haven't seen much of his fights but from what I've read of Patterson, he was a unique individual and a credit to the sporting world. I wish there were many more like him in the fight game, but then I guess that would take away some of what made him special.

My answers:

Patterson had 64 pro fights W55 L8 D1 with 40 KO's.

His average weight for the 64 fights was approx 177.8 lbs. I did the math this afternoon.
    He started out as a pro weighing less than 165lbs. His first 18 or so fights he weighed less than 170 and he was lightning fast in the amateurs and in his early days as a pro. His lightest was 163.5 lbs V Chester Mieszala.

In about his 18-23rd fight as a pro he weighed less than 180lbs and maybe the handspeed dropped with added weight but not much. His heaviest ever was 200 1/4lbs against Willie Johnson in 1967.
    He dropped down to 188 against Ellis in his 48th pro fight and there was one moment I have on film where he was dazzling and looked like he dropped Jimmy against the ropes.

In his 24-25th fight he still weighed under 185 and then in his 26th fight he weighed 178. He weighed 184 1/4 against Moore. In those days and leading up to that he was like lightining.

His combinations against Tommy Hurricane Jackson, Brian London, Jimmy Slade, Cut and Shoot Roy Harris et al were brutal.

He was outweighed by Liston in the first fight by almost 24 lbs and he only weighed 189. In Ali II he was outweighed by 29.5 lbs.

In the popular montage on film taking out guys like London, Jackson twice,
    Roy Harris, Rademacher he looked liked the Flash.

Most Power displayed Johansson II, One shot KO to the right rib cage against Charlie "Devil" Green, Right hand blasts on Henry Cooper, double right hands on Ingo III,

He showed the heart of a Lion against Chuvalo in the 10th round, and through the whole damn fight and against Jerry Quarry in both fights. In the first Quarry fight he gets up off the deck twice and later knocks Quarry down with a big left hook, I watched it the other night, he showed iron balls all the way.

He stood up to Bonavena, Quarry, Chuvalo, and in Ali II outweighed by 30lbs, he fought him tooth and nail, with some good shots landed.

He was a great fighter to me, a dazzling, clean living, proud pro prize fighter who was class A solid gold, and his name on a marquee always meant a class fight with a man who always came in shape into that ring.

It was an honor to have known him.

Ron

vCash

Emile Griffith, Jose Torres, Carter, Ali, Patterson, By Heavens Ron it reads like a who is who of Champions you have wined and dined with. Please do tell Mr Griffith that he is so fondly remembered by us here as a great fighter. But even more important a class act in himself. Looking forward to any pics of Emile that you can get posted here Ron.

To be very frank i dont follow the fight game like i used to these days. Guys like Griffith, Tiger they were real fighters none of that bullshit and padded records thats needed to sell fights today. Some might say "I live in the past when it comes to the fight game" Well truth be told that will do for me.
    Cheers Ron

PS I nearly forgot great pic of you and Emile that Juan posted, one for the album.

vCash

Emile Griffith, Jose Torres, Carter, Ali, Patterson, By Heavens Ron it reads like a who is who of Champions you have wined and dined with. Please do tell Mr Griffith that he is so fondly remembered by us here as a great fighter. But even more important a class act in himself. Looking forward to any pics of Emile that you can get posted here Ron.

To be very frank i dont follow the fight game like i used to these days. Guys like Griffith, Tiger they were real fighters none of that bullshit and padded records thats needed to sell fights today. Some might say "I live in the past when it comes to the fight game" Well truth be told that will do for me.
    Cheers Ron

PS I nearly forgot great pic of you and Emile that Juan posted, one for the album.

vCash

Thanks Danny,

I feel the same way as you do about the fight game.

I will make sure Emile knows full well how much his is admired from everyone at Cyberboxingzone. I will also try to get some new pictures.

I believe that the two rival promoters Arum and King have not made the best fights. This was echoed on Quite Frankly TV show, with Stephen A. Smith when the president of the UFC, said they just don't make good matches in boxing, where the UFC does more often.

The promoters for decades now have prevented the best matches being made in a timely fashion putting the fans last, and their own pockets first.

That is the problem. When there is a great fight, we watch it, when there isn't, no one cares.

best,

Ron

vCash

I did the television show today on Cablevision with Tracy Patterson and Brian Burke his cornerman.

It was a tribute by us three to Floyd.

It went very well and had some beautiful moments.

best,

Ron

As a reminder to us all to have faith during the worst times of all, Tracy told me that with a Priest at Floyd's side and with his beloved wife Janet by him,
    Floyd who had lost a tremendous amount of weight and had gone down from 200lbs to what appeared to be about 110lbs from the cancer, literally said as his last words, "I have to go now, Jesus is waiting right over there for me, don't you see him standing in the corner, he is right over there, I have to go," and he passed away.

love to Floyd and believe me he is a person who appreciated the love people had for him.

I was very saddened and choked by the acount, but yet it renewed my faith, and he could not have left us here on earth with more beautiful hope and words than those.

I share it here for all so that it gives them a renewed faith and hope. That is what he truly said.

Ron

vCash

Hi Ron, I sent you an email about making a instructional tape a few weeks ago. I use my parents computer when I stop in, and I think my old man might of deleted your response. Anyhow I would still like to pay you for a tape if you think the price is right and you have the time. I'm fighting on June 24th in Le Grange, MO. My last fight was in February up in Canada. I got my ass whooped for 8 rounds by the new Canadion Heavyweight Champ David Cadieux. I actually had him hurt real bad in the 2nd round with about 6 seconds left ,but he came back and put it on me for the rest of the fight. I'm going to try and get 4 more wins and then step up again. Maybe in the future I can knock off one of these up and comers. My record is 6-2 hope everything is good.
    Best,
    Matt Greer
    Last edited by mtg1977; 05-17-2006 at 12:10 AM.

vCash

Hi Matt,

I did send several replies and I will make you up a tape. To do what you asked I have to rent a VCR camera, tripod etc and put the piece together for you which I will do. All the Joe Louis moves we spoke about will be addressed.

My e-mail while it lasts, is blkleopard21@aol.com

E-Mail me your mailing address again, I think I still have it, just want to be sure.

Good luck in your fights Matt, you hit hard and you have good balance and a powerful hook. Really be tough with yourself about diet, and a good supplemental bowflex full body workout to add to the boxing training. Stay flexible and stick to higher reps. I believe I sent you the workout in the past.
    Also send me a film of your fights, the good, the bad and the ugly, let me study it and tell you what can help.

A tough consistent diet and some serious roadwork, with a good abdominal routine can change things around.
    Also speed training for your combinations and one or two power punch deliveries, with real thought put into how to get it in and when are important.

best always,

Ron

vCash

Ron here is my mailing address.
    Matt Greer
    16227 Port of Nantucket
    Wildwood, Mo. 63040

email slgreer@covad.net

vCash

Got it mate,

I'll put together a tape for you.

Ron

vCash

Beautiful & Inspiring

As a reminder to us all to have faith during the worst times of all, Tracy told me that with a Priest at Floyd's side and with his beloved wife Janet by him,
    Floyd who had lost a tremendous amount of weight and had gone down from 200lbs to what appeared to be about 110lbs from the cancer, literally said as his last words, "I have to go now, Jesus is waiting right over there for me, don't you see him standing in the corner, he is right over there, I have to go," and he passed away.

love to Floyd and believe me he is a person who appreciated the love people had for him.

I was very saddened and choked by the acount, but yet it renewed my faith, and he could not have left us here on earth with more beautiful hope and words than those.

-- Ron Lipton
    Thanks for sharing that, Ron! I appreciate it.

I hope you have a blessed weekend,

Juan

vCash

Emile Griffith visited me today from 11:30AM-5:30pm.

I took him on a hike in a State Park and we talked boxing all day and watched his fight films.

The old champ is going through some rough times, but we had fun shadow boxing and practicing some of his boxing moves.

I asked him who was the best boxer he faced and he picked Joey Archer.
    I asked him who was the hardest puncher and he said Florentino Fernandez.
    He of course also said Carter, but actually thought Fernandez hit harder, with Carter having the faster hands.

He also felt that Benvenuti and Tiger were both similar in strength which surprised me, and classified them as very strong middleweights.

He remembered some of the earlier guys he fought like Barry Allison, Randy Sandy and others.

It was good to see him again.

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Observations of Hughes v Gracie

Hello Ron,

Please share with us your views on the Gracie-Hughes match up when you get to see it.

I would like for you to elucidate on the implications of Gracie's loss in terms of:

1 'Older' foe v 'Younger' opposition

2 Brazilian ju-juitsu being superceded by hybrid techniques developed in North America and elsewhere

3 Is there an ideal composite of techniques e.g. wrestling + Ju-Juitsu + boxing = formidability or the fighter who uses whatever technique at his disposal to its maximum effectiveness = formidability?

All the best,

Ade

vCash

Please take a look at the Old Timers Section on Floyd Patterson to see the memorial program with picture from his funeral service on May 27, 2006.

Thanks,

Ron

vCash

Ron,

A female friend of mine that is involved in martial arts included the following in an email I received from her recently: "I was trying to figure out tonight how I fight -- if I get hit I come in harder without any strategy. I need to retrain my brain. I think the problem is mental -- physical to some extent 'cause I'm not as powerful -- if I can relax, there will be more success. A loose muscle is a faster muscle. It's amazing how important it is to train the body and mind to be in sync. Do you have any words of wisdom from all your boxing expertise?"

I was wondering what advice you might be able to offer to her.
    Thanks,
    Clay

vCash

Here is my advice.

1. You must become powerful and there are ways, oh yes there are ways.
    Punching power makes you formidable, dangerous and powerful. Increasing handspeed, training to do so, improve your balance and study, train and practice adding these secrets to one's reportoir can do this.

I made a training tape customized and personalized for a pro heavyweight recently who wanted to punch more like Joe Louis, and he can hit to begin with, Matt Greer.
    I always hoped someday my mania for imitation and memory would help others. I have an uncanny ability to take the style and technique from some of boxing's greats and pass it on in a training session geared to the individual without changing their style but adding to it.

Haste makes waste, you have to keep your head under conditions of pain, and being shook. If an athlete has a strong heart from aerobic conditioning,
    and has put endurance in all muscle groups through specialized training,
    you can turn defeat or the breath of disaster from being shook into victory,
    with getting into position and countering with finishing shots that end things quickly.

I give any man a fighting chance with my methods or woman if they are willing to train hard. Even the skill of a Royce Gracie at his age folded against a EXTREMELY conditioned younger man from a lack of power punching to slow the stronger man.

I watched Gracie train and he cannot punch on a level to match his fantastic skills on the mat, at this stage of life.

If she is interested she can contact me for help. I see things and I don't mean Sixth sense dead people, lol, that others miss sometimes. It helps in boxing techinique.

best,
    Ron

vCash

Ron

Go to Old-Timers, Mike Quarry's thread, I posted a recent pic. of mike.

Frank

vCash

thanks Frank,

you post wonderful stuff to share with everyone.

Please tell your sons that Referee Ron Lipton wishes them the best and always respected them very much.

vCash

Thanks Ron

Frank

+ Reply to Thread