Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A String

thanks Ironbar,

I'm really glad you liked it. Send me your email again.
    blkleopard21@aol.com

Ron

vCash

Mr. Lipton, I've sent you another email if you see this post before reading that. Please read the mail first for context.

Here are some videos of me sparring my little brother yesterday. I must make excuses for my brother, who was feeling a bit winded from working 14 hours straight yesterday. He's 16 years old and not used to it, I guess. You can see him punching the corner pad in frustration after round 1. He's very fast with his hands and feet, but his hands were a lot slower than normally... He caught me a couple of times once I forgot how fast those hands can move (not during the rounds shown I think). I'm the guy without the headgear, if that's any mystery. Sorry about the poor angle, there were just the two of us there so we mounted the camera on the ring steps a little ways from the ring.

Please bear in mind this is my kid brother, so I do hold back a couple of times, especially with the left hand. I was also conscious of not using the jab, working more on counter-shots and cornering him with feinting and footwork. Maybe you could contrast this with the four year old footage I posted earlier. That would be great, sir.

ROUND 1:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=MzsRgtbor8E

ROUND 2:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=J15tSOFqZaM

Here's a third file I'm adding more as a "bonus." I'm trying to get my brother to be more confident on the inside so I went to the ropes and had him try to pound on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJzVnWQSKo

Thanks again,
    Dadi
    Last edited by ezzthetic; 07-23-2006 at 06:50 AM.

vCash

Hi Ron. (Yeah I calling you Ron, because you ask that a year or so before the crash instand of Mister Lipton lol)

Whats your thoughts on former Lightheavyweight Champ Jack Delaney, he was one of the all time greats in the 1920's, I have only one fight of him vs Berlenbach, ten rounds of that fight, slient. I belive it is the 3rd fight.

Were do you rate Delaney both on the lightheavyweights, and pound for pound, and how would he do vs ,(Archie)Moore,Spinks, Jones, and Foster?? and maybe Conn,As these guys are mostly in the top list. of most people's list.

Delaney makes my top ten list base on wins over Flowers, Loughran, rosenbloom, and Berlenbach, which is a pretty decent record vs other greats.

vCash

Hi Greek,

Ron is fine.

Delaney one of the toughest S.O.B.'S to ever lace em up, would give any man at 175 trouble. No cupcake he.

Slattery seemed to have his number but he did the job on powerful Paul Berlenbach, by stopping him a few times and going a hard 15 with the Olympic wrestler turned powerhitter prize fighter. To be able to beat Tiger Flowers twice by KO, decision Loughran, stop Bert Colima, decision Rosenbloom who beat Walker, stop an animal like Mike McTigue puts him in the top 20 if not the top 10 in anyone's book.

Jimmy Slattery fought many of his pro fights under 170lbs in the begining and later took on guys like Paulino Uzcudun the Basque woodchopper who was like a George Chuvalo. He won on a DQ in 7 in that one although I do not have the details.

Delaney was one of the greats for sure, no bout a doubt it.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Jack Delaney

Delaney was a fine, clever boxer who possessed an exceptional jab and a stiff right hand punch; His career as a Light Heavyweight was outstanding but as a heavyweight was only mediocre due to his weight disadvantage. Nat Fleischer ranked him as the #9 All-Time Light Heavyweight; Delaney was elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1996.

BORN: Ovila Chapdelaine, Mar 18 1900; St. Francis du Lac, Quebec, Canada
    DIED: Nov 27 1948; Katonah, New York

HEIGHT : 5-11 1/2 WEIGHT : 158-178 lbs ETHNICITY: French-Canadian
    MANAGERS : Al Jennings (1919-1922), Pete Reilly (1923-1928), Billy Prince (1932)

--- Steve August --- W 4
    --- Johnny Nelson --- KO 2
    --- Steve August --- W 6

--- Jim Hugo --- W 6
    --- Jack Green --- KO 6
    --- Tom Spencer --- KO 4
    --- Jimmy "Mohawk" Coffey --- W 8
    --- Art Griffin --- KO 7
    --- Bill Gorman --- KO 3
    --- Art Tango Fall River, Ma KO 3
    Dec 20 Soldier Frank Providence, RI KO 2

Jan 1 Batting Silveira Providence, RI KO 8
    Jan 28 Ted Marshall Providence, RI KO 5
    Feb 8 Jack Savage Providence, RI KO 2
    Feb 22 Jack McCarron Providence, RI D 12
    Mar 14 Jack McClelland Bridgeport, Ct W 12
    Apr 13 Tommy Robson Providence, RI L 12
    May 18 Young Jack Johnson Providence, RI KO 3
    Jul 22 Jackie Mason Holyoke, Ma TK 2
    Jul 25 Bert Colima Brooklyn, NY TK 7
    Aug 12 Harold "Happy" Howard Holyoke, Ma W 10
    Aug 22 Joe Rivers Fall River, Ma W 10
    Sep 13 Frankie Fleming Fall River, Ma KO 8
    Sep 28 George Robinson Providence, RI W 12
    Oct 19 Steve Choynski Providence, RI W 12
    Nov 30 Frank Carbone Providence, RI W 12

Jan 2 Jackie Clark Fall River, Ma W 10
    Jan 27 Jack McCarron Fall River, Ma W 10
    Feb 13 Lou Bogash Bridgeport, Ct W 15
    -Middleweight Championship of New England
    Mar 6 Augie Ratner Brooklyn, NY LT 1
    May 30 Jack Stone Fall River, Ma W 10
    Apr 10 Hugh Ross Bridgeport, Ct W 15
    Jun Pat McCarthy Providence, RI W 12
    Aug 14 George Shade Woonsocket, RI KO 1
    Oct 6 Frank Cavanaugh Stamford, Ct KO 3
    Oct 12 Young Fisher Providence, RI LK 3

Feb 20 "Italian" Joe Gans New York, NY W 12
    Mar 3 Augie Ratner New York, NY W 12
    Mar 19 Jimmy O'Gatty Providence, RI NC 5
    Jul 4 Tommy Madden Holyoke, Ma KO 2
    Aug 20 Andy "Kid" Palmer Bridgeport, Ct W 12
    Aug 31 Jimmy Darcy New York, NY W 10

Jan 4 Jackie Clark Norwalk, Ct KO 2
    Feb 11 Sailor Martin New York, NY KO 1
    Feb 19 Tommy Loughran Boston, Ma W 10
    Mar 14 Paul Berlenbach New York, NY KO 4
    Mar 17 Jackie Clark Newark, NJ NC 8
    Mar 31 Leo Leonard Bridgeport, Ct KO 3
    Apr 10 George Robinson Boston, Ma W 10
    May 5 William Bryan Downey Columbus, Oh ND 10
    Aug 27 Frank Moody Bridgeport, Ct TK 5
    Oct 3 Jimmy Slattery New York, NY L 6
    Oct 20 Pat McCarthy Boston, Ma WF 8
    -The referee disqualified McCarthy for not trying
    Oct 30 George Mulholland Brooklyn, NY TK 8
    Dec 26 Pal Reed New York, NY W 12

Jan 16 Theodore "Tiger" Flowers New York, NY KO 2
    Jan 19 "Allentown" Joe Gans Wilkes-Barre, Pa W 10
    Feb 13 Jimmy Slattery New York, NY L 6
    Feb 26 Theodore "Tiger" Flowers New York, NY KO 4
    Mar 9 Jamaica Kid Buffalo, NY KO 2
    Mar 20 Soldier King Grand Rapids, Mi TK 4
    May 30 "Young" Tony Marullo New York, NY W 10
    Jul 16 Tommy Loughran Philadelphia, Pa D 10
    Jul 24 Jack Burke Brooklyn, NY TK 9
    Dec 11 Paul Berlenbach New York, NY L 15
    -Light Heavyweight Championship of the World

Jan 15 "Young" Bob Fitzsimmons New York, NY W 12
    Jan 25 Tom Roper Canton, Oh TK 12
    Feb 5 Johnny Risko New York, NY W 10
    Feb 22 Quinton Romero-Rojas Philadelphia, Pa KO 4
    Mar 8 Joe Lohman Brooklyn, NY TK 10
    Mar 15 Mike McTigue New York, NY KO 4
    Mar 22 Maxie Rosenbloom Philadelphia, Pa W 10
    Apr 26 Emilio "King" Solomon Hartford, Ct W 12
    May 12 Martin O'Grady Montreal, Que, Can KO 7
    Jun 3 Tommy Burns Brooklyn, NY TK 2
    Jun 16 Bob Sage Detroit, Mi ND 10
    Jul 16 Paul Berlenbach Brooklyn, NY W 15
    -Light Heavyweight Championship of the World
    Sep 16 Gene Tunney Stroudsburg, Pa EX 2
    Sep 17 Gene Tunney Stroudsburg, Pa EX
    Dec 10 Jamaica Kid Waterbury, Ct KO 3
    Dec 20 Bud Gorman Jersey City, NJ KO 2

Feb 18 Jim Maloney New York, NY L 10
    Jun -Delaney relinquished the Light Heavyweight
    Championship of the World
    Aug 11 Paolino Uzcudun New York, NY WF 7
    Sep 14 Johnny Risko Cleveland, Oh L 10
    Oct 14 Jack Renault New York, NY W 10
    Dec 9 Paul Berlenbach Chicago, Il KO 6

Jan 16 Sully Montgomery New York, NY KO 1
    Jan 20 Jack Humbeeck Boston, Ma TK 6
    Feb 13 Leo Gates Rochester, NY KO 2
    Mar 1 Tom Heeney New York, NY L 15
    Apr 30 Jack Sharkey New York, NY LK 1
    Sep 20 Nando Tassi Brooklyn, NY TK 11

Mar 3 Phil Johnson Bridgeport, Ct KO 2
    Mar 29 Frank Willis Stamford, Ct KO 3
    Apr 21 Leo "One-Punch" Williams Hartford, Ct KO 1

vCash

Mr Lipton

I was thinking what are your views on our (UK) Heavyweight hope of the 80's and 90's Frank Bruno?

Here in the UK I always got the impression that most of the media and fights fans in the USA had little respect for him which I always feel is a little unfair.

First of all in the UK & USA he was often accused of having a glass jaw which I still maintain is nonsense. He got stopped usually after taking a lot of shots by some big punchers in Bonecrusher, Witherspoon, Lewis and Tyson but was never out cold and was often stopped on his feet.

He was always in good shape, a very big puncher, strong with an outstanding jab. He had a big fighting heart and always tried his best. Only in the Tyson rematch did he let himself down a little by letting the occasion get to him and freezing.

To my mind Bruno's biggest flaw was less than great stamina, which I suggest was down to burning off way too much nervous energy. For many years Bruno was the UK's big Heavyweight hope and he knew it. I really believe this pressure effected his nerves in many a fight. Also moving those huge muscles around round after round wouldn't have helped
    either. He often entered the ring very 'tight' I felt.

Finally he lacked 'survival' instincts when caught with a big shot and seemed to freeze as opposed to grabbing hold with those big strong arms or even taking a knee.

Do you agree with my brief assessment Mr Lipton? Any input would be greatly
    appreciated.

Regards.

vCash

I was reading your post and thinking to myself that I could not say it any better than you just did. A very accurate and correct analytical assessment of Frank.

I am sorry to have heard not too long ago that he fell on hard times like so many of us do now and then.

He never seemed to be a mean spirited fellow and conducted himself like a gentleman whenever I would see him on television. He was a man who paid close attention to his diet while training hard and always looked the part.

He had courage in abundence and did the best he could. He is only human like the rest of us and gave us boxing fans some great fights to remember.

I also know he liked children very much and went out of his way to be kind to all kids, which makes him a champ in my book always.

best,

Ron

vCash

Yo Ron.

I noticed the other day you refereed a Danell Nicholson fight with Mike Sedillo. How good was Danell in your opinion up close? I always felt that Danell was perfect for a boxer- perfect frame, fast hands & speed, the skill to throw combinations & from various angles, kayo power when he decided to use it, etc... Yet he just seemed to have some huge mental block that held him back from the top 10. I dont know if you agree with this, but would be interested to know what you make of him overall as person & fighter what kind of impression he gave you in the locker room beforehand & in the ring.

Im not a fan of his, he as a character & a boxer just intrigues me probably for the same reasons as a Kirk Johnson or Michael Moorer etc.

PS been reading your website with great interest

vCash

I remember that fight and have watched it on film a few times as the color commentators gave me some nice compliments in handling it.

He was polite to me at all times, and other than that I don't remember too much about him except that he whipped Sedillo pretty good, and that Sedillo can soak up punishment like a sponge.

vCash

Hey Ron, I was just reading Arthur Mercante's bio, and he addresses a point that has always bothered me (and a rare spot on his record, in my opinion). I am talking about the Riddick Bowe vs. Buster Mathis, Jr. fiasco. Just to quickly recap, Bowe clocked Mathis with a clean power shot while Buster was taking a knee, and Mathis could not continue. What followed was basically mayhem due to what I feel was Mercante's indecisiveness. Instead of going by the rulebook and DQ'ing Bowe on the spot (the blow was clearly intentional), he waffled and gave Larry Hazzard (one of my least favorite characters in boxing) the chance to interfer and stall the official ruling. In the meantime, that loudmouth Rock Newman (another unsavory character) started screaming and lobbying with Hazzard from ringside to avoid having Bowe DQ'd. Finally, after huddling and going back and forth for a while, Mercante was strong-armed into acquiescing to a NC, thus avoiding putting a spot on Bowe's record. Now, what Mercante says in the book is that he was adamant about DQ'ing Bowe (something I cannot really see in the video), but that Hazzard and his cronies overruled him. Once again, at no point I see Mercante adamantly arguing or standing firm on a DQ stance. He just seems hesitant and ultimately goes with the flow. My main question is whether a commissioner can indeed overrule a referee just like this. It seems to me that if Mercante had been strong -as he claims he was- he would have DQ'd Bowe, period (upon which the Bowe people could have launched an appeal to the commision, but that's a different story). What's your take on the whole situation? What would you have done in a case like this? Thanks in advance for your answer.

P.S. I received the DVD's you sent me and will give you feedback after I watch them. Thanks a million.

vCash

I would never let anyone, no matter what the cost to my career, influence my decision against what I emphatically have decided to do.

Rock and Larry are really tight, very tight for a long time. That being said,
    Mercante and his kid would and have done anything and everything in the ring, next to the ring, behind the scenes, at the conventions, to get another assignment and stay in the graces of anyone who can do this for them.

The kid killed a fighter, injured others with his ridiculous copy cat approach to refereeing. He is an amateur referee and one of the worst pro refs in the business. The most objectionable thing to me personally is his voice commands, trying to sound extra NY tough. It cracks up many people who watch the fights with me. Both of them used to slap fighters on the back to break them. Junior's performances, his manner of moving, are like the older one, it is designed to yell out for the audience to, "Look at me, look at me,"
    a pompous child. The Senior Mercante with his ascots, pancake makeup, and aristocratic pretentions was really something to see gliding across the cocktail hour floor, currying Sulaiman. I literally almost hurled one time watching it, despite his denials former Commissioner Randy Gordon said the same thing to me MANY TIMES.

A very venerable boxing sage once pointed out to me with much behind the scenes knowledge that both of them have a "Halo effect" where people see them ruin fight after fight, mistake after mistake, and no one says anything because the father had been politically used sooooo many times, people become so used to them, they don't even see what they are doing.

Senior did not object and if you listen to the microphone pickup on that fiasco, he is looking for any way to please his master so he can work again.

At times I liked Larry despite his crazy personality, then he blackballed me, refused to answer 8 years of letters, phone calls addressing the injustice done to me, and I lost all respect for him as he laid down totallly to the NY boys and only used his pals in NJ no matter what happened in that ring.

Never would have believed it of him, but his buddies want it all and he gives it to them. Mercante that night showed what he is made of.

When you are the referee you are in charge of that fight and no one can tell you what decision to make, if that happens, it is a disgrace.

Hazzard knows that and despite being a prick on wheels, he backs up his refs when push comes to shove. Larry is a mean SOB but he is no cupcake and if you are right he will back you. That night I did not like at all though.

Everything is good, until it goes bad, it went bad that night.

vCash

I remember getting interested in boxing when I was 10 years old....was in a magazine store and saw a Ring Magazine with Dick Tiger on it. Was hooked from that point on. One of the problems today is boxing is not attracting enough new fans. The way the sport is mis-managed is the blame for that.

I also agree that there are very few, if any, good trainers today so fighters today just dont learn how to really fight. I read an earlier post from Ron talking about Joey Archer....try to tell people today about a guy like him and they dont know who he is. A real shame.

vCash

I understand more than you will ever know Elwill,
    Tiger was absolutely inspiring as a warrior, looking the part and walking the walk.

It is one of my most fond memories and honors to have known him and boxed with him. I loved and respected him so very much.

He was a great man.

best,
    Ron

vCash

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR RON LIPTON

Hope you have a great day.

Thanks for all your great posts, I've learnt a lot from you.

Cheers.

vCash

I heard there was a fire in Hyde Park NY when somebody tried to light 70 candles on a birthday cake.

Austin

P.S. Have a great day!!

vCash

Happy birthday Ron!!!

vCash

Happy Birthday RON

Thanks for sharing your life with us

Igoe

vCash

Thank you so much for posting that Happy Birthday KOJOE, Autsin, Kid Achilles, Iskigoe,

much appreciated,
    your pal,
    Ron

vCash

Belated happy birthday Mr Lipton.

vCash

Thank you kindly ezz,

spent it with the family very peacefully,

best regards,

Ron

vCash

Man -- two days late and two dollars short -- belated birthday wishes from your friend in the North Country Ron!

I spend my birthdays very quietly these days as well -- BUT... any hell-raising or boxing-related birthday stories for us Ron?

vCash

Thanks Ironbar,

much appreicated, how are things going in Chuvalo country?

vCash

Ron,

What are your thought regarding creatin and if it has any health risks. I tried it several months ago and let me tell you it works. I was taking "no explode" that mixes creatin with nitric oxide. Its a pre work out supplement and you feel it within a few minutes. After a few weeks of getting in shape and using it daily I would never tire out. I'd spar 6 to 8 rounds then do an hour of bag work and then lift weights and would feel stronger and stronger the harder I went. I would also seem to get in a "zone" while fighting or hitting the pads and bags. Its not a speedy type of caffein feel either, just VERY relaxed and focused. I'm 6' 6'' and 245 lbs and I was feeling faster and looser then I did when I played basketball 10 years ago and wighed around 215.
    From what I';ve read it seems to not have any health risks other then you MUST drink gallons of water to supply your kidneys with the water it sacrets to your muscles.
    If you have any information on this subject it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rifle

vCash

The old saying what works best for you applies here, however I had a very bad experience with Creatin.

I used to train very hard to get in lightning fast shape when I would referee.
    Outside of sparring of course, I would train like I did when I was boxing to give the fighters the best reflexes I could come up with for their safety.

When I was scheduled to referee the Yori Boy Campas V Anthony Stephens fight 3/28/98, I was using free weights, chinups, running, a SoloFlex, and at the time I was dating one of the hotest models on the planet about 20 years younger than me.

I knew she would be staying at the hotel with me overnight in Connecticut and coming to the fight. So this fool, starts training like a Narcissist on Acid, and at that time, there was not a pinch, not a damn pinch of fat anywhere on my body. I was ripped, pumped, not juicing of course, but extremely disciplined and training and dieting to look good for me, her, and hitting the bag you name it.

She was a nutritionist and she had me drinking a mix called powerfit and getting these other drinks for a quick boost and I was taking Creatin chewable tablets and I was feeling like a cross between a porno star and Jack LaLane.

My muscles were so hard from cable work and high reps and I lost no size
    I was a panther.

Now the Creatin seemed to work until one day the worst nightmare I have EVER gone through physically kicked in and I have had a kidney stone from taking too many calcium pills and brother that is pain to make you pray on your knees. This was easily 3 times worse.

This pain that went through my brachial plexus started one day with a radiating pain caused by the Creatin, training too hard, being too old to train that hard and forgetting that the weakest link in the chain is the tendons, ligaments, nerves with the actual muscle the last to go.

This pain was 24-7, and I do mean no sleep with it. Upon waking the pain was instantaneous and traveled through my entire left tricep, deltoid, behind the traps with a rating of 95 out of 100 screaming agony constantly. The muscle would undulate, quivering involuntarily frightening the hell out of me.

Would I cancel the fight assignment, ME? NEVER! Would I tell this killer babe, (I will see if Juan will post the picture for me here,) to not come to the hotel with me, would I avoid performing my boyfriend sexual duties, even though I was crippled, Not a chance.

I was moving like the Creep in Creep 2, with no leg, no arm and he was still hopping after that motherfucker to get him, jumping through the grass with a stump. That is how determined I was to party with this babe, and do the fight to with not one visible sign of discomfort. It was national on live tv on channel 5 for the IBF 154lb title.

The night before the fight I had already got an MRI, and nerve conduction tests under my belt and I hate the confinement of those damn MRI's,
    and I am writhing in agony wherever I am. They found NOTHING WRONG, and I felt the worst pain I had ever felt that would not go away. The Doctor's saw the muscles in spasm and could do nothing, they thought is was all in my mind and here I knew it was all in my shoulder, neck and arm.

This lasted for about 2 months of agony. For a Million tax free I would not even think about trading this off to do it again. The pain and loss of sleep came close to killing me.

The night before the fight I am laying in my room at the Doubletree in Foxwood, I just got done with a triple XXX throwdown, no sleep in maybe
    2 weeks, barely 2 hours a day and this is before I even heard of Viagra and Cialis

I feel like Wile E. Coyote with an Acme safe dropped on him, and this woman is using up maybe 2 full jars of Icy Hot blue
    gel massaging my tricep and shoulder while I am lying on the bed, almost crying like a little wimp, writhing in agony from the spasms and pain.

I do the fight and I am pale, white, and in agony, but watching it you would never know, I did a good job and my will was like iron I love boxing so much.

When I got done with the fight I went back to the room after eating, and stayed in agony, jackknifing on the bed, still writhing in agony all night.

Not one pain pill put a dent in it, not a prescription filled Percodan, Tylenol #3nothing.

Once I laid off the Creatin, it finally went away. Creatin, just the sound of the name of it gives me chills and nightmares.

Have I explained it well? The boost I got from it, was there but it was a Twilight Zone's Monkey's Paw wish, (Old timers know that episode), you make a wish, it comes true and then something horrible happens.

It could very well work for you but natural eating, sleeping and training sensibly makes more sense.

The girl, she later got married, I wasn't ready, and for the rest of her life she will remember that night she had to play lover, nurse, physical therapist and prayer partner.

Good old Creatin.

vCash

Damn Ron, what a story. I was always a little suspicious of creatin and never tried it. I will definitely stay away from it now, thanks.

vCash

Narcissist on Acid! I love that phrase...!

vCash

"feeling like a cross between a porno star and Jack LaLane." Thats the funniest thing I've ever heard, Im using that line somewhere, sometime. Sh*% Ron I feel like one of those kids in that scared straight documentary from the 70's right now. When you started the story describing your girlfreind thats 20 years younger then you I thought you may have a story about creatin usage and your dingly dangly not being able to make it to the big dance, if that was a side effect I would definetly not use creatin again.
    Thanks for the info (very much appreciated) and the laugh. Great story!

Much respect Mr. Lipton,

Rifle

vCash

If you are going to use creatine, mix it in warm water. Then just add some cold water before drinking and mix further.

Interestingly, I had a good experience with Nature's Own chewable creatine tablets but had kidney discomfort using a more staple product like Muscle-Tech's Cell-Tech. I think it's very individual what works for whom. Of course, I tried the chewable tablets first and the Cell-Tech later. If it had been the other way around the bad experience would have probably kept me away from creatine for good.

vCash

Hi gents,

I am glad I made you laugh.

I also used Cell Tech and have tried many other muscle fitness products while training too hard.

That is the thing really, training too hard. I always warmed up so I very rarely get hurt like that, I also stretch like a rubber man on Gingold juice so that's not the problem.

It is getting older and training too hard because sometimes these products give one a false sense of energy.

I trained with two big strong guys in my life that come right to mind.
    One is Eddy Palardy the former Chief of the West Orange NJ Police Dept who was a patrolman when I was a kid and we stayed friends as I went to police school the same time as his kid brother.

About 5-6 years ago I visited him in Denville NJ and we of course went out to the local gym to train together. I was 54 and he was 60. Both still looking like 40. So we go in and he starts using dumbells for heavy shoulder presses, laterals etc without warming up with much much lighter weights.

He handled it as his muscles were always stocky and powerful but I could not believe how his joints, tendons and ligaments kept up.

I went to a high school reunion Saturday for our 60th birthdays (42 year after graduation in 1964) and his brother my other good buddy tells me that Eddy had to have both shoulders replaced. Cringe!

The other guy was Chuvalo. He came to visit me when he I brought him down to Marist college to do a lecture and he came to my house with his family. He stayed at a Holiday Inn nearby and I met him at his request at 6AM.

We drove to a boxing-bodybuilding gym my buddy owned who used to be a bouncer with me back in 1983. George goes in and same thing, heavy, heavy dumbells for bicep curls, military presses for the shoulders while I am warming up with little sissy weights for about 15 minutes.

I was cringing watching him, he is so damn strong, he was like a Kodiak Bear, but the form he was using I knew would get to him. I spoke to him about a month ago and he told me he is really hurting in the knees, and other places finding it difficult to walk.

Anyone getting older, anyone laying off for a long time, you must do it in moderation or pay the piper, now or later. The bodybuilding products that give a boost of energy and muscle mass can be a curse to someone who should be cutting down on the weight, sets and reps.

My bane was too many sets, to many reps to get cut up and sometimes going to heavy fighting off father time. Torn rotator cuff, muscles like steel but tendons like an older man.

In I Claudius, with Derek Jacobi and John Hurt playing Caligula from the award winning Masterpiece Theater which I have on 13 DVD'S and watch all the time, no one had the balls to kill Caligula played by the great John Hurt until the end.

He was in one scene where he ordered a sexy teenage "Melissa" to be married to his stuttering and crippled Uncle Claudius played in a Tour De Force by the great and talented Derek Jacobi.

He wanted him to be ridiculed and suffer as the order of marriage from the Emperor was an edict to humiliate, but he was so happy with this hot babe as his wife that Claudius forgot himself while playing dice with the Emperor at the Gladiator games.

Caligua: How is your marriage
    Claudus: I have never been so happy
    Caligula" HAPPY, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HAPPY, I GAVE HER TO YOU, YOU OLD CRIPPLED USELESS OLD MAN, AS A JOKE, THERE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ANY HAPPINESS.

Uncle Claudius: "No, NO, NO Ceasar, you misunderstood me, I mis-spoke myself, I am getting so stupid and old I am forgetting how to express myself, what I meant is that I am miserable and in pain all the time from being humiliated by her, I am so old and she is so young, my happiness comes from making you happy at seeing my suffering, that is what I meant.

Caligula" "Oh, WELL THAT'S DIFFERENT, I WAS THINKING OF HAVING YOUR THROAT CUT, BUT NOW YOU'RE SPARED.

AS to the story of me writhing on the bed, in Creatin hell, I am beyond Mike Tyson ecstatic ecstacy that my suffering and the description thereof, caused some amusement somewhere in the Empire. (SMILE)

vCash

I don't know if I'm getting off track here, but if anyone is fascinated by the megalomania and excesses of Caligula, Nero, etc., they must read Suetonius's The Twelve Caesars.

Fascinating book. I found it so engrossing in college that I didn't do any other homework and was totally unprepared for my finals. Flunked. The Caesars would have been proud.

+ Reply to Thread