Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

Roberto Aqui

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A String

All one has to do is keep up with with the business and political news in modern America to understand Roman excesses.

Ron makes an interesting point about tendon viability and muscles. It's generally aging tendons that do in athletes, not muscles. But for, Jerry Rice would be playing another 20 yrs.

vCash

Talking about aging tendons and ligaments some years ago on the Discovery Channel it showed a British man who went in for some experimental surgery . He had torn a ligament in his knee so they performed surgery by using carbon fibre in place of the ligament . Over time a new ligament grew over the carbon. It showed him some months later as good as new. Carbon fibre is supposedly well tolerated by the body . Anyway it sounded like a great idea - as many things on TV do. If it worked so well why hasn't it caught on in a big way ?

Aging is unavoidable ( so far ) and considering human nature that is probably a good thing.

vCash

Hi Ron:

I watched the wonderful rematch between Florentino Fernandez and Gaspar Ortega last night. What a fight! Very controversial split decision, with the referee giving the nod to Ortega and the two ringside judges to Florentino. In all honesty, I thought Ortega won the fight (I scored it 7-3 for him). He moved around the ring beautifully, and kept the hard punching Fernandez off balance with sharp combinations throught most of the fight. Fernandez was undefeated but very raw at the time. He basically chased Ortega trying to land single haymakers. What was funny was that Florentino did well when he rememberd to use his jab (which was a good one), but sooner or later he always reverted to firing power hooks from the hip (and missing quite often). I don't know if you have any memories of this fight or not, but I would be especially interested in hearing your assessment of "El Indio" Ortega.

Take care pal.

vCash

Hi Rafael,

I feel Gaspar who was a friend of mine won the fight handily.

I have rarely seen anyone show more courage against a wrecking machine than Indian Ortega.

I used to love seeing him at 43 Essex Street in NYC where G&S Sporting goods headquarters was. I fought so many top exhibitions for Izzy Zerling who owned the place against all the champs in the Tri State area.
    Gaspar would always give me my reward, a new robe, trunks, cup and we would talk about all his fights.

He was a gentle soulful man with a heart as big as the outdoors.

One day while refereeing with Mike Orgega in Foxwoods I saw him go over to a man in a wheelchair. I did not know he was Gaspar's son.

We refereed together and I never made the connection.

As I walked by I did a double take at his face and I realized instantly is was Gaspar. We renewed our acquaintance and I cannot tell you how much respect I have for him as a great fighter and a man.

best,
    Ron

vCash

Hello Mr.Lipton, I tried contacting you by e-mail for the last few days, but I keep getting a automated reply every time I send you an e-mail saying "message could not be delivered to recipient". I sent out your fights yesterday morning, and you will be receiving one vhs tape and two dvd`s from me, which should arrive within 5 to 7 days. I think something is wrong with my msn account, I will contact you by e-mail once I have rectified the problem.

vCash

Thank you Craig,

I will be looking for it.

best,

Ron

vCash

Ron & Emile Griffith

vCash

Thanks Frank,

It's amazing how Griffith's shoulders are still a yard wide.

vCash

Ronnie and to all those interested in body building, being a keen observer of these things for years and so to speak being in the "belly of the beast" for much of the time (observing body building keenly on a daily basis) I must say that I have NEVER seen heavy lifters over forty without injury, most of them serious.
    Heavy lifting does damage but young guys dont notice it cause its bit by bit with the final crack down due to accumulation.
    The idea for older guys (over 40) should be HEALTH. Work out, diet, for HEALTH. Not size nor peaking weightlifting strength, but HEALTH.
    If HEALTH is the issue, body shaping takes on a much much different posture. Nature never intended the Mr. Olempia form.

vCash

After years of talking with Rock about this subject believe me he is right.

I found that out the real hard way too. The muscles give out last, it is those damn tendons, ligaments and joints that betray you.

thanks Rock

vCash

Amen to that. As I approach my 50th birthday next year, and a 2nd hip replacement operation next month I'm convinced that weight lifting is not the way to go. Knowing what I know now, if I had it to do all over again in my early 20's I'd become devoted to Yoga for flexibility and exercise using my body weight only for things like squats, pushups, pullups, etc. And yet, here I am still adicted to lifting weights, although on a more moderate basis. I keep telling myself that after this next hip operation I will convert over to yoga and bodyweight only exercising, but yet there's a big part of me that is convinced I need to use weights to build myself up again after surgery for the first year afterward. It's just flat out dumb.

vCash

The best thing for healthy longevity is to be like Jack Lalane who is the epitome of the best one can be and a veritable citadel of knowledge that has truly evolved with time.

I have his juicer and use it everyday.

Yoga is something I use in stretching everyday too and very light work on the bowflex would be ideal for you in the recovery stage.

Walking, abdominal work within limits and careful attention to diet and vitamin therapy will have you back to being a sexual Tyrannosaurus within no time.

Avoid the free weights unless they are extremely light and you can do 15 reps to warm up, 12, 10 and 8 with no strain. Same deal with all the different exercises you would choose on the bow flex.

Guard that lower back and don't neglect the lower abs with knee-ins etc

best wishes,

Ron

vCash

I forgot to add as a PS.

The first sign of a twinge of pain in the upper back area of the lats while doing chinups after the age of 50, STOP. If there is no muscle pull, or twinges of pain throughout that region of the shoulder blades, infraspinatus, teres minor and major etc, then you can do a few pullups into your 80's if you wish, but watch for that pain.

Substitute wide grip pulldowns with lighter weight to warm up with. Much safer.

best of luck,

Ron

vCash

After being run over by a car on my mountainbike, I had to quit my beloved sport of Rugby and change my usual training routine of weights, long distance running, hitting the heavy bag, using my body weight and basketball.

I tried everything to get back to my lean six foot two frame at about 175-180lbs, I was in so much pain that I thought I was going nuts. I drank beer and smoked hashish for pain relief as I refused pain killers. Eventually it was Yoga which got me on the path to recovery. I decided to take up Tae kwon do after my son was born over here in Korea(when in Rome), and can say it is much easier on the body than the traditional boxing workout. (easier on the hands, shoulders and lower back)

At 36 I can say I'm an old 36, compared to my former self, but I still get compliments about my strenght on the ball court. I just can't seem to get my speed back though. I would recommend Yoga, or Tae kwondo to anyone who wants to keep fit and flexible. I train with middle school and high school kids and I have a lot of fun.
    As for my old physique, well I stay away from hash. Can't seem to get away from the beer though and I'm still hovering in the +200 lbs range

vCash

Hey Ron,

I just wrote an extensive post on Randy Neumann's handling of the Abraham-Miranda fight. I would love to get your opinion on it.

Thanks in advance,

Rafael

vCash

I will be happy to take a look at Professor.

Ron

vCash

Rafael,

I just posted a response on that thread.

best wishes,

Ron

vCash

Off the River,

It seems like a lot of work with long distance running, weights etc that you disciplined yourself to participate in. Don't throw it all away.

If you could really minimize the beer intake and keep up exactly what you are doing plus adding a bowflex routine, you would be back in tip top shape before you know it.

The floor work I have used for an abdominal routine combined with my easy diet methods and two different ab exercises on the bowflex work absolute wonders for the midsection.

vCash

Mr Lipton,

Again, that was seven (man I can't believe it) years ago and several things have changed. The biggest thing is I can't run for any distance any more. After my car accident( I was on my mountain bike going downhill at about 30mph when a woman ran me over) I can't run for distance anymore. I've tried and triend, but my body just can't handle much more than a couple of miles before the pain sets in and I cramp up and go into spasms.
    I still reamain reasonably fit with push ups, sit up and taekwondo, I just can't seem to get to my old Rugby days, which I would be stupid to play agan. I am lucky to be alive and all the doctors I saw toldme I have made a remarkable recovery, my body is simply ten years older than my age. I will never stop being active, but I have to live within my limits. And yes, I have decided to give the beer a break and see what that does.
    As for the bowflex, my apartment is too damn small!

Thanks for your advice
    OTR

vCash

I think you are a remarkably brave and discipllined man.

Believe me you are not alone in having to live within your limitations.
    Injuries have done this to many of us also.

Laying off the beer is a good step, and buying a set of expanding cables to work with is good too. It stretches the muslces and builds them with power added in.

A gym with a high pulley station for pressdowns for triceps, cable crossovers for pecs, high bicep cable curls, and a seated rowing machine with various size interchangeable handles is ideal also. Use light weight, higher reps to start.

Some activity is better than none, walking trails, up and down hills, and laying off the bad starchy food, sugars, fatty meat etc is the best many of us can do, and you know what it really helps to look and feel better.

thanks for writing,

Ron

vCash

Hello Ron

Im currently an amatuer boxer and although i realize honing my boxing skills is what i should be doing first and foremost what non boxing specific training do you think would help me in the ring.... in terms of strength, explosiveness etc? Ive been told to stay away from lifting heavy and do various bodyweight excersises such as the classic pushup. Sorry guys for sneaking an off topic question in.... to make it more relevant to boxing history do you have any idea what the likes of carter, griffith etc did in terms of developing strength and physique?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JaKob
    Hello Ron

Im currently an amatuer boxer and although i realize honing my boxing skills is what i should be doing first and foremost what non boxing specific training do you think would help me in the ring.... in terms of strength, explosiveness etc? Ive been told to stay away from lifting heavy and do various bodyweight excersises such as the classic pushup. Sorry guys for sneaking an off topic question in.... to make it more relevant to boxing history do you have any idea what the likes of carter, griffith etc did in terms of developing strength and physique?

Hi JaKob,

I have a bodybuilding-fitness program where a boxer can choose specific exercises two per bodypart as part of their training regimen to combine with proper diet, rest, aerobic conditioning and skill training.
    It has been posted here already on the Zone as something I donated to the site rather than charge money for it, terrible business man that I am.

Chinups, fee dips are all good but can cause injury and strain to someone who is not in good shape. Pushups done in the old style with wrists bent on the floor are not the best choice to me.

Pushups with your feet elevated grabbing pushup bars with your elbows held in tight and your knuckles facing outward are excellent for tricep development and punching power muscle to tap into.

Cable work done right puts that extra stretch into the muscle which boxers need, bodybuilding exercises with a bowflex are best to me for a fighter.

Back in the 60's
    Rubin Carter used to do sets of 100 pushup with me like this and we reached 10 sets =1000. Then we supersetted this with crunch situps before they became popular. I watched his fight last night with Gomeo Brennan while he weighed 156 lbs. He was so loose and fluid it still amazes me despite his detractors.

Despite personal tensions between us that exist now, it angers me to read one website in which they tried to discredit everything he ever did.
    While attacking the case surrounding him, his boxing abilities etc one should be truthful and accurate hate him or like him.

A woman and her friends wrote on their website that Carter according to "Highschool coaches" they asked, could never have done sets of 100 pushups as their best athletes could not do it."

When I read shit like that knowing what I saw and did, they can go to hell because WE DID IT EVERY DAMN DAY. On my own I worked myself up to 82 wide grip chins to the chest knuckles facing me regular grip.

I don't care who believes or doesn't. Look at our pictures back then, that says it all anyway. To them I guess Jack LaLane never existed either.

Try to find the routine I use for my students. In the meantime I will try and send it as an attachment for you if you e-mail me at RLipt8@aol.com

Emile Griffith was a work demon too but just did a lot of running and calisthenics and conventional situps etc.

I have a different ab routine which is terrific.

Mainly box for fun and exercise and do not risk any head injury, EVER!

You must have supervision, and the best equipment to prevent head injury.

Watch your diet, punch the heavy bag, speed bag, jump rope, and watch the fights and learn from them.

best,
    Ron

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JaKob
    Hello Ron

Hi JaKob,

I have a bodybuilding-fitness program where a boxer can choose specific exercises two per bodypart as part of their training regimen to combine with proper diet, rest, aerobic conditioning and skill training.
    It has been posted here already on the Zone as something I donated to the site rather than charge money for it, terrible business man that I am.

Chinups, fee dips are all good but can cause injury and strain to someone who is not in good shape. Pushups done in the old style with wrists bent on the floor are not the best choice to me.

Pushups with your feet elevated grabbing pushup bars with your elbows held in tight and your knuckles facing outward are excellent for tricep development and punching power muscle to tap into.

Cable work done right puts that extra stretch into the muscle which boxers need, bodybuilding exercises with a bowflex are best to me for a fighter.

Back in the 60's
    Rubin Carter used to do sets of 100 pushup with me like this and we reached 10 sets =1000. Then we supersetted this with crunch situps before they became popular. I watched his fight last night with Gomeo Brennan while he weighed 156 lbs. He was so loose and fluid it still amazes me despite his detractors.

Despite personal tensions between us that exist now, it angers me to read one website in which they tried to discredit everything he ever did.
    While attacking the case surrounding him, his boxing abilities etc one should be truthful and accurate hate him or like him.

A woman and her friends wrote on their website that Carter according to "Highschool coaches" they asked, could never have done sets of 100 pushups as their best athletes could not do it."

When I read shit like that knowing what I saw and did, they can go to hell because WE DID IT EVERY DAMN DAY. On my own I worked myself up to 82 wide grip chins to the chest knuckles facing me regular grip.

I don't care who believes or doesn't. Look at our pictures back then, that says it all anyway. To them I guess Jack LaLane never existed either.

Try to find the routine I use for my students. In the meantime I will try and send it as an attachment for you if you e-mail me at RLipt8@aol.com

Emile Griffith was a work demon too but just did a lot of running and calisthenics and conventional situps etc.

Watch your diet, punch the heavy bag, speed bag, jump rope, and watch the fights and learn from them.

best,
    Ron

vCash

QUOTE=JaKob]Hello Ron

Im currently an amatuer boxer and although i realize honing my boxing skills is what i should be doing first and foremost what non boxing specific training do you think would help me in the ring.... in terms of strength, explosiveness etc? Ive been told to stay away from lifting heavy and do various bodyweight excersises such as the classic pushup. Sorry guys for sneaking an off topic question in.... to make it more relevant to boxing history do you have any idea what the likes of carter, griffith etc did in terms of developing strength and physique?[/QUOTE]

Hi JaKob,

Back in the 60's

best,
    Ron

vCash

I have another question regarding fitness as well. It deals with jumping rope.
    Again as I am not the same guy I used to be, I find certain things pretty damn hard. One thing I am having difficulty in is Skipping. Let me say at first, that my father was a boxer and I have jumped rope since I was a kid, I even won skipping competitions in school (which raised a few eyebrows because I was always competing with only girls after the second round)

Anyhow, prior to my accident, I had still used the rope lots and had no difficulty in skipping for up to thirty minutes non stop. Now I'm having trouble with coordination. At forst it was the light ropes that they provided at my Tae kwon do club, so I switched to a heavier cloth rope with the plastic one inch cylinders. It was much better, but I still feel a little uncomfortable. My question is what is the proper length a fella should use when jumping rope? It was always so natural for me that I never seemed to have this difficulty before.

And one mor thing regarding pushups. What about on the knuckles. I know we did it for hockey to develop wrist strength and I am doing it again in tae kwon do and actually find it a great "forgotten excercise"(I switched to regular pushups to develop my chest for purely aesthetic reasons in my early twenties

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Off The River
    I have another question regarding fitness as well. It deals with jumping rope.
    Again as I am not the same guy I used to be, I find certain things pretty damn hard. One thing I am having difficulty in is Skipping. Let me say at first, that my father was a boxer and I have jumped rope since I was a kid, I even won skipping competitions in school (which raised a few eyebrows because I was always competing with only girls after the second round)

Anyhow, prior to my accident, I had still used the rope lots and had no difficulty in skipping for up to thirty minutes non stop. Now I'm having trouble with coordination. At forst it was the light ropes that they provided at my Tae kwon do club, so I switched to a heavier cloth rope with the plastic one inch cylinders. It was much better, but I still feel a little uncomfortable.

My question is what is the proper length a fella should use when jumping rope? It was always so natural for me that I never seemed to have this difficulty before.

Answer: I order various length boxing jump ropes for my boxing class from Ringside products. They are leather with foam wrapped handles, some are 8', 9' & 10' . I have 6'7" basketball players and 5' girls who all use them.
    Just experiment and get one that is not too short. If it is a bit long you can always take up the slack a bit.

As to coordination, I felt the best rope jumper I ever saw was Emile Griffith bar none, a thing of beauty compared to all others and I have seen them all.
    I reallly emulated his style and can move around well while I jump or stand still with my feet barely leaving the floor at all.

If things have changed a little for you, just adjust and have fun with it. Instead of alternating, just spring off both feet and get a good calf workout from it and go at your own pace. 2-3 rounds will keep you fit.

And one mor thing regarding pushups. What about on the knuckles. I know we did it for hockey to develop wrist strength and I am doing it again in tae kwon do and actually find it a great "forgotten excercise"(I switched to regular pushups to develop my chest for purely aesthetic reasons in my early twenties
    Answer: I do them on my knuckles too and my class does also with me.
    I keep my arms and elbows close to my side with my knuckles facing out.
    You can do them on a thin mat or on the floor depending on what shape your hands are in. The skin on my knuckles is like the coarsest sandpaper and I can tolerate this.

The chest is really worked best (Pecs and Pec-Delt tie in) when it drops between those pushup bars with a shoulder width grip which can vary.
    This brings the pectoral muscles into play and you are really emulating a bench press using your own body weight.

Chairs, dumbells can substitute for the pushup bars, if arranged correctly.

best of luck and train slowly, lightly according to changes in health, time,
    age, while warming up thoroughly at all times.

Ron

vCash

Sorry about that, I was just commenting on the pushup matter with regards to being on the knuckles. I have no problem doing them on a hard floor due to years of work in the Alberta oilfieds. Good knuckles and strong wrists.

My real question is to do with the proper lenghts of a skipping rope. How do you best judge the length in proportion to your body?

Thanks again.
    OTR

vCash

5'6 or shorter-7'.5" Jump Rope.

5'6-6'-8.5" Jump Rope

6' and taller-9.5" Jump Rope

As per Ringside Products.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    The best thing for healthy longevity is to be like Jack Lalane who is the epitome of the best one can be and a veritable citadel of knowledge that has truly evolved with time.

I have his juicer and use it everyday.

Yoga is something I use in stretching everyday too and very light work on the bowflex would be ideal for you in the recovery stage.

Walking, abdominal work within limits and careful attention to diet and vitamin therapy will have you back to being a sexual Tyrannosaurus within no time.

Avoid the free weights unless they are extremely light and you can do 15 reps to warm up, 12, 10 and 8 with no strain. Same deal with all the different exercises you would choose on the bow flex.

Guard that lower back and don't neglect the lower abs with knee-ins etc

best wishes,

Ron
    Ron,

Can you elaborate on what I bolded in your post? I'll be 64 in a few months, and I walk about 3 or 4 miles daily, pushing a hefty grandson in his stroller.
    I'm 5'9" and weigh about 175. Admittedly, I'm a sporadic exerciser.

p.s. I'm still rooting for your reinstatement.

vCash

Hi Ron,

It is always a pleasure reading your posts. I have been transfering my fight tapes to dvd and am enjoying the opportunity to watch fights I hadn't seen for a wihle. I had forgotten about what a good fight Morrison-Ruddock was. How on earth did Ruddock get up after that right hand? In the tape his legs were quivering on the canvas yet he manages to beat the count. Was he able to recover that quickly or was he just moving on instinct?

Great refereeing, they kept you busy.

+ Reply to Thread