Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

Roberto Aqui

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Overhand_Right
    Mr Lipton, i see you refereed the fight between Roy Jones and Bryant Brannon in 1996. Whats your take on the much debated figure of controversy/heated debate that is RJJ, being that you have seen him in action up close & personal..?
    Here's his post.

vCash

Thanks Robert,

How are you doing Overhand Right?

I did not know specifically what you were refering to as to controversy, I am guessing it is Roy's place in boxing history and his continuing to fight in the aftermath of his losses to Tarver and Johnson.

When I refereed him at 168lbs for the IBF title in the Garden, I knew of course at fight time he was much heavier and carried the weight well.
    In the ring that night I did not think he hit that hard although he was quite effective. His hand speed was very good but not the fastest I've seen.
    Supremely confident and a consistent winner whose reflexes were the best, this fighter made his mental confidence create his skills and his skills create and support his mental confidence.

His ability not to get hit solidly in the past against guys like Merqui Sosa, Tony Thornton and others truly amazed me as some of those guys had the guns to drop him. His body shot against Virgil Hill was a superb ring achievement too.

I talked to him twice at length. After the fight and once outside with me and my son in Atlantic City where I ran into him where we were totally alone on the boardwalk. He was very cooperative in speaking to me about training methods and his abdominal work.

He was amazed that a referee would hold that interest in such matters until he reallized my fight background with Carter and others and I made him take a playful jab into my rock hard gut. He laughed fit to bust and we discussed ab routines.

Sometimes despite my admiration for his abilites I thought he could tone down the trash talk now and then but winning that much can be intoxicating to a young man. I knew it would be better to be a little more humble to keep that fan base when father time would catch up to him, but I understand better now, and Roy earned the right to do it his way.

The Louis Devalle knockdown doesn't mean the writing was on the wall, because all the greats get knocked down, it is inevitable unless you are a form of a Chuvalo, Lamotta (Nardico got him) and Tua, it is going to happen.

Yet no one is invulnerable and if you continue too long one mean mister Mutha is waiting in the wings at all times to fix your ass right up. Just ask Ali, Matt Hughes, Roy himself, Royce Gracie, Joe Louis and on and on.

The way Roy was taken out, so solidly and with one shot by both men, was scary and sad. We are human and have human brains, and it is not a good sign.

As a matter of fact it is a very bad sign and he should heed the warnings.
    Boxing is one brick in the wall in a man's life.

We all have different fighting styles. A Gato Gonzalez who is one of our treasures here, was a great puncher and sturdy guy who had many pro fights. Today thank God, he is still intelligent, witty, healthy and strong.

Others who have had less fights and have escaped the big punchers, slow down with time. Having minimal fat, and good muscle development like Roy is not a panacea for winning anymore.

It is a young man's game despite George Foreman's great accomplishments as a dreadnaught dinosaur who was a master of conserving his energy and was big enough with his massive skeletal frame to just walk slowly at his man, looping bombs so slow that you could bake a turkey by the time they arrived.

Roy is no such carnival show, and after those ko's he redeemed himself enough. We all need money, the call of the ring is the lure of the sirens in the Odyssey to poor Ulysses, whoever he may be.

When you are knocked out cold as ice two times, the Neurological fairy is telling you to hang them up. If not then you have several choices.
    Listen to people like Joe Mesi did who "Love" him and will risk his very life in a ring of sport, or do it like I would.

I would beg anyone I loved on hands and knees, tugging on their arms, standing in the doorway blocking their path, to not get in the ring again.

Save your money, invest it, don't be a jerk and buy 10 cars or more, pay off a nice house and get some other work that you can depend on.

I remember Dan Acroyd saying once, he would never fold up if he lost his fame or had no big money offers. He said I would get my commercial driver license back and drive a truck, I like it, and I could still be happy.

Roy's fame is insured, no one health is, if the TV commentator thing is over too, fine, relax, play basketball with your kids, do some appearances, get a regular job like Thornton as a mailman, Briscoe in sanitation, groove on those memories and let your fans remember you and honor you properly.

Do not tarnish your image anymore and be grateful for your vast amount of blessings and accomplishments.

No more fights against class B opponents.

Will I watch him in his next fight, hell yeah, I'm a boxing nut, but he should stop soon. We all respect and like him too much to see anything bad happen to him.

best,

Ron

vCash

Great post Ron! Roy Jones is a one of a kind guy for his era but he has little to gain by fighting, and everything to lose. Maybe it's just the man vs. his own mortality and he doesn't want to believe he's aged. Roy please step down and age gracefully like so many greats refused to. It will enhance your legacy greatly more than taking uneccesary punishment, from guys you would have iced in your prime, ever will.

vCash

Great post Mr Lipton.

A joy to read as always.

vCash

Ron, I recommend you chime-in on the Lawrence Cole disgraceful screw-up in the Marquez-Jaca fight:

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/cbzfo...ead.php?t=4001

Never seen something quite like that!

vCash

Thank you very much KO Joe and Kid Achielles, much appreciated.

Hi Rafael, oh no Lawrence Cole again. Larry is a nice young man who I've known since around 1990. Problem is he gets every big fight assigned to him in Texas where his father Dickie Cole and friends have been politically connected to boxing for so long.

Many other deserving refs cringe from it as it never stops. I will look at that website Professor.

vCash

Can somebody send me a film of this fight, I have got to see this.

I always knew he got the assignments because of his father's political connections, but he insures them too? Just unbelievable!

He covered the Microphone to say that???? That would imply an inappropriate
    and biased intent in conveying that information.

That information about being ahead on the cards would only be known by the judges, how would he know that for sure by just collecting the cards quickly and handing them to the supervisor of the Commission at ringside?

It is ok to say the rules in the dressing room e.g. "In case of the bout being stopped by a cut caused by an unintentional head butt, we will go to the scorecards after 4 rounds have been completed."

To cover the microphone as the third man in the ring to impart that information as a suggestion on how a fighter should make a decision is not his job. His job would be to stop the fight or call the doctor in to scrutinize the injury and then once that decision is made publicly, then the rules kick in.

Never to profer it in a clandestine way as a method to influence the fighter or corner.

His father Dickie Cole had been the main force in Texas boxing and has always gotten Lawrence all the big assignments in Texas. This insurance thing is beyond belief on top of that if it is true.

Many people were always suspicious of him getting every assignment through his father's friends. His father was a bigga man in the WBC-NABF.

vCash

Rjj

Ron as always great insight and colourful writing, thanks for your response regarding Jones, and yes the controversy was over the debate on how great he is/isn't.

I dont really feel he ducked anyone but could have probably done more to make a couple of fights happen. Do you think he should have chased Benn after the McClellan fight? Do you think he would have swarmed Benn or would one of Benns big shots have knocked him dead? I know you refereed Collins when he bumped off Eubank, i think he was too crude to have a shot v Jones but what do you think? How would a fight with Darius cant-spell-his-surname would have unfolded?

Thanks in advance matey!

vCash

Hey Ron. I just saw this thread. I assume you are open to any question then,
    So here it goes:

Of all your memories of the fight game and all the folks you have met, what is the most memorable event or encounter and which fighter do you consider to be the greatest of alltime

Thanks Ron

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb
    Hey Ron. I just saw this thread. I assume you are open to any question then,
    So here it goes:

Of all your memories of the fight game and all the folks you have met, what is the most memorable event or encounter and which fighter do you consider to be the greatest of alltime

Thanks Ron
    Answer:
    Hi buddy,

Greatest fighters to me are Ray Robinson, Ali, Joe Louis, with many other fighters falling into different categories of greatness e.g. endurance, one shot power, defense, left hook, right hand, jab, mental attitude etc.

For better or worse moments which were memorable, shocking, and impressionable on my mind were and not in any order:

Seeing Dick Tiger floor Rubin Carter 3 times while I was at ringside and having been in both camps.

Seeing Dick Tiger floored and getting up to deck Frankie DePaula.
    Seeing Foreman take down Frazier in their first fight.
    Seeing Charlie Green floor Jose Torres twice with Chegui getting up to knock him out with one shot.

Ali beating Foreman was amazing.
    Seeing Foreman walk through powerful Ken Norton like nothing

Seeing Carter take out Florentino Fernandez who I though was possibly going to take him, Same with Griffith v Carter.

Being in the ring with Holyfield when he decked Ray Mercer and I had to throw him off.

Standing in the ring for Collins V Eubank I while the sound system played Queen's "It's a kind of Magic," on the powerful sound system before the fighters first emerged from the dressing rooms, electrifying the crowd in Ireland.

When Morrison decked Ruddock with that big left hook and I sent Morrison to a neutral corner only to turn around and see that Ruddock got up when I thought he was out for 10.

Seeing Ali walking through the doors of the Newton NJ Superior Court by himself when the room was packed and I was on trial for a self defense case where people broke into my home and I had to fight for my life. I did not know he would be there for sure and he just walked in.

When he did it was pandemonium. He just walked in and sat down in the back and remained quiet like a gentleman. The judge asked him what he was doing there and he said, "I am here to testify for Ron Lipton."

That was #1.

vCash

Right there Ron. The last part of your post. That tells it all, and why anyone who says Ali wasn't really a kind hearted person at heart doesn't know what he's talking about. Ali was a great man, like so many of the great fighters were. He was boastful and full of himself at times, and went overboard with the trashtalk, but the guy at heart was a beautiful person. The films shows it, and people like you who knew him know it.

vCash

Thanks mate.

You know when we left the courthouse that day, I went to a restaurant with Ali and my wife and son.

My wife and I were all but seperated then and I was facing a custody battle, the end of the trial and a tremendous amount of survival problems not to mention worrying I would not see my kids again.

It was a property owner home invasion thing versus how much force you can use to repel attacks upon yourself and home.

Anyway in the restaurnat in Jan 1982 after the Berbick fight he is sitting next to me with his arm around me trying to make me feel good. My lawyer treated Ali and everyone to a big steak dinner and Ali insists on leaving the big tip.

He gets up and goes around to everyone in the restaurant, every legal person in the area, cops everyone, giving autogrpraphs kisses to kids, hugs to all.

The place was illuminated with his presence. When all was done we break away and go outside.

My wife who I still loved very much is almost like a mental vegetable from all the attacks on us and walks away and sits in my car. My daughter and son are hanging on to both my arms while I stand on the corner with Ali as he says goodby to my lawyer and the rest of the people there.

Now he walks away with me and I am dreading the moment of this happiness to end. He walks to the stretch yellow limosine with the driver waiting for him to take him to the airport and back to L.A.

He hugs me and tells me something which I will put into my book at a later time about how he was approached to not testify for me and how he refused.

He says a few more personal things to me which made me realize how much he loved me for what we did together when we were young and I grab him and hug him hard, choking back the tears at seeing him leave and for the brave thing he just did to save my life.

All I can manage is, You will be in my prayers every night until I die. Which he has always been.. He says, that is the greatest gift anyone could give me.

I also said, You showed up in time, and that shows me how much you love me, you weren't late, you were early. He says, You always showed up on time for everyone you helped too, that's the least I could do for you.

He then presses his hand into mine, and in it is a check for $1500 dollars, he kisses me on the cheek and gets in the Limo. He says, "I'll be callling you when it is over and if they bother you again I'll be back."

The Lone Ranger could not have done it any better. I was acquitteed on everything and they put his appearance on Radio, TV and every newspaper there was, including a crossword puzzle.

Despite all the bad things that have happened to me in my life, those memories I thank God for every day. Muhammad Ali was the greatest to me, because he really had a good heart.

vCash

The Aura of Ali

Ron,

I attended a George Chuvalo tribute dinner sponsored by the Rochester Boxing Hall of Fame in 1994. George had recently lost his wife Lynne to suicide and son Georgie Lee to a drug overdose.

Present that night with George were Ali, Joe and Marvis Frazier, Hurricane Carter, Carmen Basilio, Willie Pep and Rocky Fratto among others. Ali's aura was huge and he was unquestionably the focal point of most of the few hundred in attendance. When Ali took to the microphone to give a brief speech you could have heard the proverbial pin drop.

When the dinner was over, those in attendance swarmed the head table looking for autographs. Now, Ali wasn't in great shape at that point, and wasn't moving very well however long after the others had left Ali was still there signing autographs, posing for pictures, picking up and kissing children and mugging for anyone who wanted to engage. The promoter of the event repeatedly asked those people to back off, that Ali was tired, had signed enough autographs and had to leave, but Ali ignored him and continued until the place was almost completely empty.

By the time Ali was leaving I found myself alongside him walking through the lobby towards his limousine that was waiting outside in the parking lot. I put my arm around his shoulder and walked him the last 50 feet to the parking lot where there were about 15 people surrounding his limousine. The doors of the limo were open and inside I could see Howard Bingham, Ali's wife Lonnie and Ali's publicist rolling their eyes and urging Ali to get in and leave but Ali stood outside and continued mugging, leading chants of "Ali, Ali" or expressing mock disgust if someone yelled out "Tyson", biting his lip, shaking his fist and just generally hamming it up. I could tell Ali was loving every second and was able to command the attention and captivate those 15 people without speaking a single word. When Ali finally did leave it wasn't before accomodating everyone there.

I had to wonder how many times in his life he did that and be amazed that he still wasn't tired of it.
    Last edited by 10-8; 11-28-2006 at 10:25 PM.

vCash

Thanks Ron. That was some story with Ali. You are a lucky man to be on such close terms with the worlds greatest ever athlete. I can only imagine what it would be like to be in the guys presence. Mind boggling I'm sure.
    Was there ever another athlete outside of boxing with such charisma and personality??!!!. Anyway thanks again for replying

Brendan

vCash

Mr Lipton.

I would very much value your opinions on one of my favourite fighters the great Flyweight Champion Jimmy Wilde of Wales.

To my mind the man was a physical phenomenon he was so small and frail looking and yet in the ring he was a skilled knockout machine. He had possibly hundreds of booth fights before he even embarked on his professional career. He fought in a time when talentedFlyweights were plentiful and yet still rose to the top of the Boxing world and always giving away weight to bigger opponents. The toughness of this man was almost superhuman and it never ceases to amaze me when I think of all the tough fights he must have had in the ring and the booths.

Jimmy Wilde was such a tiny man but was a huge puncher so there must have been more to his ability to punch hard other than just pure brute strength? Do you agree? Iíve always felt from what I have seen and read that he must have had amazing hand eye co-ordination added to years of fighting experience and practice, practise, practice that enabled him to
    execute perfectly times punches to his opponents body and head.

Anyway to conclude my ramblings what are you views on this wonderfully remarkable fighter and how do you explain his punching power?

Many thanks.

vCash

When any man can win 101 fights without a loss and have 64 knockouts at that time, you know the fighter is on the way to becoming a boxing legend.

I've never seen any footage of this great warrior but the pictures of him do not reveal the source of the great punching power. One can only imagine and look at the reports of his victories.

He had 13 long hard head knocking years with so much combat packed into that time that his body finally gave out on him as it does on all of us in his bout with the durable Pancho Villa, who later died of a neglected tooth abcess.

Wilde finished with a record of 131-3-2 with 99 knockouts.

I remember reading that Gene Tunney said of Wilde that he was the greatest fighter that he ever saw.

He could go the distance and still take you out like he did to one of the few men who beat him, Tancy Lee by stopping him 11 rounds to avenge the 17th round Ko he suffered the previous year.
    He blasted out bigger men all the time who outweighed him by 20 pounds or more.

I have been in boxing gyms since I was 12 and I am still at it. I watch everyone train, and I watch fights very closely. Long ago I understood that if two men who are very fit decide to fight each other and both know how to box, the result is usually one of several scenarios like this.

They both start off tentatively for a second or two, the force of tentative nervous energy that repels them and keeps them apart causes many seconds to go by while two calculating boxers start probing with jabs and feints awaiting an opening. Sometimes one attacks quickly like McClellan did to Julian Jackson and jumps on the guy, or like Tyson coming out of the gate.

Then the quick attacker sometimes misses and he is countered and taken out.

Another scenario we see more often is when you have two men who train hard doing everything from strength training, skill training, diet, roadwork ad infinitum are in there to fight you have the endless ESPN battles like Pemberton V Sheika, Paz v Lucas, and these fights go on and on with you hit me I hit you, we mix it up and sometimes in that infighting process the punch you are waiting for gets in.

An example would be Mickey Ward v Emmanuel Augustus or Ward V Gatti.
    They are all exciting and the old axiom of don't throw just one punch or try to knock the other guy out with just one shot kicks in. Stay loose, box, have plan B, plan C etc is all important.

I wanted much more than that and was interested in studying men who had something much different.

Wilde was such a man as were certain kind of other punchers.
    They launch shots with such explosive kick on the end they shoot you down right away as soon as it lands.

Lew Jenkins job on the almost indestructable Lou Ambers, Hurricane Carter's job on Florentino Fernandez who went 15 with Fullmer and 6 with Tiger without going down, McClellan taking out Julian Jackson, Jackson taking out Terry Norris and so many examples of effective power exist.

Having that dynamite in both hands rather than just one, and being able to launch the whole body into that crackling explosive shot that is so accurate and so well timed is a gift from the Gods of war.

Widle was cursed with being a little man in the world of giants. He found the way, he turned his inner fire into such a refined skill combined with a mental attitude to not stop until his tormentor lay senseless at his feet.

He obviously had the goods, and those talents had to be hard hands, speed and timing, and shocking snap and drive through on his punches.

I remember someone trying to talk down Earnie Shavers long string of ko's by saying, 'Aww he just knocked out a bunch of tomato cans," and some boxing sage said, "I don't care if he knocked out all your sisters girlfriends, they are still knocked out and that means to me that motherf....r can hit.!"

Wilde could punch like a mule kicking down hill, he was one of the immortals.

vCash

Ron

Enjoyed your observations about Roy Jones, thanks.

I have to ask you about the 1995 fight you refereed between the infamous Mitch Blood Green and Lou Toucherelli. What were your impressions of Blood as a man around the fight? Also, how much did he have left as a fighter? At 38 did he have any potential to become a loose cannon on the scene as Tim Witherspoon did at the same time, or was he just an aged pug?

Let me know mate!

vCash

Hi Overhand Right,

Wow, what a memory that was, there was more fireworks outside the ring than inside.

It was held at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Middletown NY, not too far from where I lived at the time.

I met Blood once before at an after fight party, I think at MSG. His giant frame moved through the crowd and went over the bar for a drink.
    He had watched a fight I just refereed so he knew who I was. He is coming toward me and I made such a fast boxing move on him I threw about 4 shots to the body and 3 or 4 to the head before he got his hands up.

He just busted up laughing, saying over and over, "Damn, Damn, that was good, I know you were a pug," while giving me a hug. I was so surprised at his friendly spirit, I thought he would come on like a total thug from what I heard.

Anyway I had him laughing so hard his ribs hurt him while we were telling a few dirty jokes.

Many years went by and I am assigned to the fight in Middletown.
    A guy who was a lifelong friend of Mercante Jr was on the Commission serving under Floyd Patterson. This guy who was subsequently fired for his loud mouth, bullying and illegal manuverings behind the scenes, brings Junior all the way from Long Island to give him the main event with Lou Savarese behind Floyd's back.

Floyd and Janet Patterson his wife are sitting ringside and Floyd comes over to me telling me to do the main event. I say ok whatever you want. They hand out the assignments and this guy who works under Floyd, has the Mercante kid come over and tell him Floyd, the boss, made out the assignment.

He starts screaming and cursing at Patterson, like, "Who the fuck do you think you are, I knew you before you were famous, I make the god damn assignments, etc. This is the same guy who tried to steal the Delahoya V Leija fight with his friends also behind Floyd's back and give it to his pals.

Janet Patterson stands up and says, "Stop yelling at my husband." Floyd stood there always the gentleman, but I saw his fist balling up in a knot, this NY wannabe wiseguy who was better at designing clothes than knowing anything about boxing, yells at Janet Patterson, "Sit down, I'm talking to Floyd."

Now Floyd turns slowly to this Commission member and says quietly and menacingly, "Shut up, sit down or go away." Now the guy realizes that his old woman temper went too far and he becomes mollified.

He walks over to me and points his finger at my chest and says, "I'm the fucking boss, I make the assignments." I know this guy's history as I used to work in organzied crime in the Prosecutor's office, and his connections did not mean shit to me.

The blood rushes up into my face and I say, "If you don't take your finger out of my face I'll bite it off, your yellling doesn't mean shit to me, you loud mouthed old broad." He backs off and Jr is standing there near the entrance of the tent.

I said, Your political hack buddy brings you down here to my hometown and shoves you down everyone's throat as usual, without your Daddy's connections with the alphabet boys other refs would get more of a shot, you think boxing people don't know the favors your old man did for this guy in the ring back in the old days. He mumbled something back, like tough shit or words to that effect, and my son was standing near me.

I said, if you want , lets go outside around the corner and I can fix it all up for you, you think your bad don't you, you work out and had 3 fights at sub novice at fartweight didn't you before you quit,

He declined the offer which proves he is not as dumb as he looks to quote Ali, and to avoid any problems Floyd let them have their way. When the guy made the additional move regarding DeLahoya he was gone in several days.

Blood Green gets in the ring and handled Lou. I have the bout on film.
    Blood was a shell of what he was and had no real tone to his muscles at the time but was still a big lanky guy who could manuver.

He knocked the guy down a few times who was outclassed but strong and tough. I had to stop the fight. Later the same rotund bellowing ganster wannabe, who was out to discredit me for life after that, went personally to Mike Katz and told him I allowed Green to rabbit punch Lou T.

There were so few people at ringside at this small show that when this Fedora maker tried to steal the DeLahoya fight, he could not come up with anything to protest me, so all of a sudden I see Katz write, Lipton may not be the best because there was a fight where he let Blood Green rabbit punch Lou Tuchirelli. I lauged my ass off because I knew it was the cosmic Walrus who passed that bullshit on to the man who hides the three sixes under his donut collar.

The films show nothing wrong but this guy did anything to get fights for Junior. Katz' second choice in his article to ref DeLahoya v Leija was Tony Perez the ref who did Ali V Frazier II and thought he heard the bell, Mercer v Morrison, where a late stoppage went beyond all reason, same with Cooney V Norton, and the all time great job of Ali V Wepner.

See what I mean, by choices based on the record.

Green's best days were behind him but he will always be a big guy who knows how to throw hands.

What a night that was.

vCash

What a night indeed Ron. Thanks for the insight, great reading!!

vCash

Ron, I just recently watched the McCall V Lewis rematch. What exactly happened with Oliver. Did you ever speak to him or can you give me an insight into this strange affair. It appeared that he had a mental breakdown in the ring.

Also, he is known to have one of the hardest chins in history. Could you elaborate on this fact as I've not seen many examples or even fights with Oliver

Thanks Ron

vCash

Hi gentleman,
    my pleasure.

Overhand Right, you ask some great questions to be sure.

As to the Atomic Bull Oliver McCall,

I never met Oliver but I respected his strength and his amazing left right and the exact way it was thrown when he toppled Lennox, it was blazing and some accomplishment.

My knee jerk reaction was to be apalled at his conduct in the ring with the breakdown until I started to think about it more and speak to great men like Rocky Alkazoff who knows more about life than all the doctors at a psychiatrist convention.

The brain releases chemicals when an imbalance occurs brought on by sorrow, grief, fear, all exacerbated by chemical abuse, or other breakdowns from trauma life puts in all our paths.

Ollie's breakdown was sorrowfull and I am sure the warrior in him did not want it that way. It was bad for all concerned and if we are good human beings with Christian hearts then we realize that boxing is only a sport, one brick in the wall in our lives and that we were witnessing the breakdown of a fellow human being akin to what can happen in a court room under intense grilling.

That damn cocaine abuse is something to be feared as it obviously played havoc with his chemical make up, emotions and the ability to control them.

Glory is only fleeting as our bodies betray us of the magic. Ollie proved himself as one tough son of a bitch and his downfall was painful.
    His moments of glory in the ring can never be taken away.

Unfortunately people remember the bad things at times also.
    I wish him luck and I hope he keeps it clean and away from drugs.

vCash

WalshB,

Hey mate,

As to McCalls chin,

He seems pretty damn strong in that dept, but the ability to shake off a good shot to the chops goes along with being in shape to.

A good chin cannot help you for everything if you have a real bricklayer throwing bombs that take you head to the side and up under the jaw.
    These kind of punches make the brain touch the rind of the skull and then you go out like a light.

An overhand right like Shavers dropped Holmes with shaking his tree to the roots slammed him down.

The one under the chin that dropped Ellis tore his head up and back.

Ollie's body abuse can only weaken that strength to take a punch.

In the dressing room that night he was having doubts, fears and anxiety attacks promulgated by God knows what. Sometimes when the demon of doubt starts gnawing away at an athlete it runs amok unless like Jose Torres used to say, your Fire swallows the fear.

On the way to the ring he was having a complete breakdown and I have never seen anything like it in boxing. I heard Jimmy Ralston took a walk right out of the Garden the night he was to fight Chegui.

They pulled Charlie Green out of his seat right next to me to fill in, the result, well next to DePaula V Tiger, I would love to see that one on film.

I am doing a big interview with Jose Torres soon, and he tells me that fight is not on film. Broke my damn heart.

vCash

Hi Ron! I hope you are doing well and want to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year!

How is the interview with Jose Torres going? Any sneak peeks?

Take care,

-Peter

vCash

Hi Peter,

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you mate.

Chegui had not been feeling well and I had to postpone for a little while.
    I will be getting a camera and arranging the visit and interview asap.
    Sometimes he goes to Puerto Rico for awhile.

I will be talking with him about a variety of things from early on in his career until after his retirement.

A sneak preview, ok.

He saw Rubin Carter get knocked out by Chico Rollins in one of the hardest bouts fought in the service. Jose was sitting ringside and described it to me in detail. Rollins was one tough lightweight who would fight anyone. They bout knocked each other down and Carter was stopped after this guy just would not quit.

On ESPN Brian Kenny asked Carter live who was his toughes bouts. Carter answered Mims and Benton. I would have thought he'd say Tiger, Rollins, Adair(Sparring session KO) and the other guys who beat him

best,
    Ron

vCash

Just popped on Ron to wish you and your family All The Very Best for Christmas and The New Year.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( HUGS )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    Danny

vCash

Thank you so much Danny,

and a very healthy and happy Christmas and prosperous New Year to you buddy.

vCash

Merry Christmas Ron

Hi Ron,

I just want to wish you a Merry Christmas and thank you for all your generosity and friendship. I have learned a lot from you, and I admire your huge heart and active mind. I wish for you and your family all that you wish for yourselves.

Your friend,

Tim

vCash

Thank you Ron! And thanks indeed for the preview of your interview with Chegui!

Warmest regards,

-Peter

vCash

Tim Ayres,

Thank you so much Tim that was so kind of you.
    God bless you and your family and have a wonderful Christmas and new year.

I usually send out so many Christmas Greetings but because of two hospital stays back to back this month I apologize and will make up for it on New Years.

Love to everyone on Cyberboxingzone,

Ron and family

vCash

Ron -- first, I wanted to say that I hope and pray you are doing OK, and second, you have got a heart as big as Texas and I mean that (heart) in every sense of the word!

-Peter

+ Reply to Thread