Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 70 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 2100

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

I tried dips. They were just as painful. I'll let things heal up and then go back to the drawing board. Thanks agin for your excellent advice.

vCash

My pleasure,

Stay away from those dips with any elbow trouble. I can imagine how it immediately was felt in that area. Let me know how you fare after the ultra sound and working around that injury.

best of luck,

Ron

vCash

Photo from Boxing Hall of Fame

I received this photo from Ron. Of it, he wrote:

It is the picture in the middle where I am kneeling over Bryant Brannon while Roy Jones Jr is walking away from the knockdown.

This picture from the IBHOF makes me very proud to have my picture along the donated Madison Square Garden Ring at the Hall of Fame. Ed Brophy's left hand is right near the picture of me in the Roy Jones Jr fight in MSG which was also shown in the movie, "The Devil's Advocate," with Keannu Reeves and Al Pacino. I also refereed Holyfield v Czyz, DeLahoya V Leija, Junior Jones V Orlando Canizalez, and many top contenders in that famous ring like Montell Griffin, Lonnie Bradley, David Telesco, and so many others.

vCash

Tell you what, Juan, I'm damn glad Ron's my pal. If I met him in a dark alley, I would be looking for an escape route to darkest Alaska!

Good stuff, gents - very enjoyable.

vCash

Hi Mike,

You better believe I am your pal and always will be,
    If I see you in a dark alley, it because we just came out of a pub and you are helping me back to my car where a safe driver awaits me.

vCash

Ah, my dear old Ron, I would never doubt that for a moment!

Bless you, my old friend.

Mike C

vCash

Fellas, if you read back through these threads - very carefully - you will notice Ron quite casually - and with genuine modesty - shrugging off rotator cuff injuries (which I know to be almightily bloody painful) and various other physical setbacks.

This is a man who sparred with just about all of my boyhood heroes - and gave as good as he got.

Don't know about you, but I think Ron's Q&A slot in our little neck of the woods is one of the treats of the CBZ.

Mike C

vCash

Thank you so much for saying that Mike,
    I put a lot of time in over the years never turning down a question or helping anyone, it has been my pleasure as I care about all the guys on Cyberboxingzone as family. I have learned a lot from them all and the most fun is helping each other out with fight films, work, projects, etc. All of them are treasured friends to me.

Ron

vCash

I am also very proud to call Ron my friend. I only met Ron face to face one time, but when I did he took valuable time from his other duties to show me genuine respect.
    What an honor to have your picture next to one of the most signifigant items in boxing history
    Congradulations Ron

Randy

vCash

Well, at the risk of sounding a trifle maudlin, let me offer that I like Ron too (smile).

Seriously, what Ron Lipton means to me is a person who throughout his life has been uncompromisingly hardworking, dedicated and true to certain principles many of us hold to be self evident but would shirk from upholding under the pressure of losing out on 'status', financial and other economic opportunities.

Ron Lipton has continually demonstrated supreme levels of both physical AND moral courage.

To take on a marauding band of determined 'nasties' who invaded his home, to put himself in the line of retaliation from powerful forces to help Rubin Carter before many jumped onto the bandwagon, to speak out against prejudice when he could have been "quietly sympathetic" to the victims but kept his position by not speaking out -that's true courage!

I also admire Ron for being an exceptionally talented individual. He is not only a great fighter and fight teacher. He excelled as a world championship level referee and as a fight choreographer. And let us not forget his prowess as a shooter.

What is important about this is that anyone who is hearing this for the first time who presumes this to be mere spin can simply check it out and confirm the facts.

One thing I've noticed in the close to 8 years that I've known Ron: Never mind the many who would retreat from swapping punches with him in a dark alley or in the clear light of day -there are a few (or not so few) people out there who would not countenance engaging in a battle with him to get to the truth of a number of important matters.

---Adeyinka

NB

Just in case this link hasn't been posted on the CBZ; and even if it has, the number of people who pass through the CBZ who may be discovering him for the first time, here's a website on Ron:

www.myspace.com/rglipton

vCash

Tribute

This is turning into a Ron Lipton tribute page! LOL

Re: Weight Training

Guys, I've trained the better part of my 42 years and competed in bodybuilding, drug free back in the day, and learned the proper way to do things and eat right. To this day I won't even take Tylenol and haven't touched an anti-biotic in over 10 years when I came down with double pnuemonia.

Let me confirm that RON LIPTON KNOWS OF WHAT HE SPEAKS when it comes to training and training around injuries. I have read every entry on this thread and have never questioned any of his advice. Ron knows the value and pay-off of multi-joint compound exercises such as chins, dips, push-ups (and the multitude of variations for those 3 movements) as well as squats, deadlifts, cleans...movements in which the torso is not in a fixed position but moves through space. John Grimek, Steve Reeves, Bill Pearl, Vice Gironda etc...were pioneers, older guys that learned to do it naturally. The kind of principles you will get from Ron.

Forget reading a modern bodybuilding mag. These juiced up kids have no idea how train without the help of a $100,000 needle in their ass and a million dollars worth of modern weight training equipment. Let's see if any of them are still going strong ike Ron does in his 60's.

Ron, in the words of Angelo Dundee. KEEP BOPPIN!

Peace brother,

Bill

vCash

Re: Tribute

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8
    This is turning into a Ron Lipton tribute page! LOL

Re: Weight Training

Guys, I've trained the better part of my 42 years and competed in bodybuilding, drug free back in the day, and learned the proper way to do things and eat right. To this day I won't even take Tylenol and haven't touched an anti-biotic in over 10 years when I came down with double pnuemonia.

Reply: That is amazing discipline Bill and I admire that tremendously. I have had to take some medicine now and then to get well but I never liked it, and I know what you mean about keeping your blood pure.

Let me confirm that RON LIPTON KNOWS OF WHAT HE SPEAKS when it comes to training and training around injuries. I have read every entry on this thread and have never questioned any of his advice. Ron knows the value and pay-off of multi-joint compound exercises such as chins, dips, push-ups (and the multitude of variations for those 3 movements) as well as squats, deadlifts, cleans...movements in which the torso is not in a fixed position but moves through space. John Grimek, Steve Reeves, Bill Pearl, Vice Gironda etc...were pioneers, older guys that learned to do it naturally. The kind of principles you will get from Ron.

Reply: Thanks Bill. My brother from another mother 10-8 picked some of the greatest examples of bodybuilding pioneer heroes I know of very well and who influenced me greatly. They were Arnold's heroes too. Each so unique, man John Grimek was something as was Gironda, Pearl and Reeves. So strong, so dedicated.

Forget reading a modern bodybuilding mag. These juiced up kids have no idea how train without the help of a $100,000 needle in their ass and a million dollars worth of modern weight training equipment. Let's see if any of them are still going strong ike Ron does in his 60's.

Ron, in the words of Angelo Dundee. KEEP BOPPIN!

Reply: Thanks again buddy. You have amazing knowledge of these things and I have learned much from speaking with you. Your respect for the Pioneers is something we share mutually.

It is very hard to do it naturally without fuel stacks, and the vast choices of performance enhancing chemicals that are out there now. All have a deleterious side effect that no one over 50 let alone 60 should contemplate tampering with unless you want die prematurely.
    I personally don't want to do anything prematurely and always thought the best way to go out was like Rockefeller, or the Second Hand Lions played by Michael Caine and Robert Duvall.

Peace brother,

Bill

Most appreciated Bill, thank you.

vCash

Ade,

thank you kindly, praise from the praiseworthy, those were some of the kindest words and I am lucky that someone sees me like that. Thanks again.

Your Dick Tiger book is one of my favorite reads of all time and I anxiously await the Frankie DePaula book. Sparring with Frankie in Ehsan's and hanging out with him in Jersey City was like being around Nitroglycerin. His short chopping punches would absolutely knock out anyone, but his looping shots although horrible to be hit with were easier to avoid, ride out and weave under. It amazed me that he could wing wild shots with power on the attack when his blood was up. He would get careless and that is how Charlie Green took him out in speaking with Green in the day. His short ride hand was nothing short of a Sith Lord's dark power but he could not set it up all the time, if you walked into it by accident it was all over and Tiger barelly made it up as I told you. Too much partying, not enough training but power like you could not believe. He hated roadwork and would not run with us but his legs were like tree trunks.

Like many characters I have met in boxing they are an amalgum of the dark side, the light side, the crazy and the little kid and depending on their inner strength, morales espeically, and the amount of love or lack thereof around them go down either the right path or the wrong one.

A most tragic story but a true one that I anxiously await to see with the exquisite Adeyinka Makinde touch. Your dedication to reserach is amazing, what you went through on the Tiger book certainly paid off as it is the quintessential book of insight on The Tiger.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Wing master
    I am also very proud to call Ron my friend. I only met Ron face to face one time, but when I did he took valuable time from his other duties to show me genuine respect.
    What an honor to have your picture next to one of the most signifigant items in boxing history
    Congradulations Ron

Randy
    Reply: Hi Randy,

It was great fun meeting you in North Dakota and it was more than a pleasure for me to spend time with you and your family. I sincerelly hope I get to see you again, and thank you so much for your kind words.

Ron

vCash

hi ron,

posted a question for you on the berto-gonzalez thread in the modern section.

interested in your take.

thanx,

greg

vCash

Hi Greg,

I posted there, give me a little more information on what happened in that fight.
    __________________________________________________ ____

I saw some other posts on referees.

Extremely predicatable, furtive and amusing as always. Incredible reallly how the baloney never ends. It is amazing what people deliberately skip over, miss or overlook when evaluating these refs that have ruined fights based on personal friendships.

Just for Hatton v Mayweather Cortez should never do a big fight again, just for that.

I remember in Bowe v Holyfield how Cortez got in a yelling fight with the cornermen, telling them to control themselves, with them yelling back at him to control himself and ref the fight better.

One of the worst things some do in there is speak this rubber lip fast talking gibberish to the fighters, it is I think either "Hip" to these guys or they don't know any better. In the heat of battle while fighters are getting whacked in the head, that kind of fast talking street cadence falls as flat as piss on a plate to me. Cortez is one of the worst at this, Ron Scott Steven's guy Ed Claudio is another, "Hey baby," "Lets get boppin," ad infinitum.

It lowers the level of a title fight or a major fight on TV to a pier six slob fest.
    The man in charge of the fight should be fast, in shape, and have a full knowledge of the boxing game. He should be refined to add to the honor of a big fight which we all love. Refined in his condition, apperance, movements, speed and knowledge. Not some guy who has ravaged himself with beer all week and looks it, pot bellied, gutteral, and has ruined many fights.

He did some good one but ruined 20 more so he must be used again? What a crock.

Cortez has ruined big fights and is no better than most any other referee working today, not one bit in any category.

He was just used a lot by Hazzard and others and they stuck with it out of friendship as they roomed together in the past. As to Hazzard, he was EXTREMELY awkward as a referee, if you watch his films and movements his arms were always flailing all over the place, his gangling movements were not fluid or fast and he was not at home in that ring.

He was extremely nervous when brought back into the ring to refereee Pernell Whitiker in NY and on camera could hardly breathe out of nervousness before the fight started. He was a very, very, agressive person which has been written about quite a bit after he was fired as Chairman of the NJSACB.

The worship of him by another Commissioner is so misplaced and obsequious the less written the better as it was cultivated for favor upon favor rather than fact. As much as Mercante Senior and Junior were just horrible, Hazzard was tough, mean, and in with the then Commissioners, and alphabet boys, but fluid and graceful and quick, no way. Look at how awkward on the films.

All political pals, all political appointments, the weak worshiping the strong as in please don't be angry at me, Please help me, please strong man be my friend, I am tiny and weak but I will help you, if you will help me, thats fine, but the fairy tales have got to stop sometime, hopefully.

Hazzard threatened to beat up several reporters and challenged them to step outside, little jellywinks too. Strong guy, angry guy, former amateur fighter who I remember, one NJ Hall of Fame guy questioned his claimed record too
    but who cares. He did some good things as a referee but for God's sake he was extremely awkward and I have the films.

Very intelligent man, but he really controlled the NY Commission and NJ and got Eddie Cotton the Tyson v Lewis fight in Tennessee. Another Commissioner was terrified of him, and capitulated to anything he wanted out of fear, that he started a campaign of hero worhsip to appease and befriend the guy he was scared of.

Worst big name refs, Mercane Jr, Perez, Mercante Sr, Cortez, Nady, Neuman,
    and some others whose films have to be seen to be believed once again.
    There have been appointments based on friendship in NY and NJ that are so embarrassing and dangerous, all based on friendhship and lack of concern for the fighters that any claims to the contrary are a joke.

vCash

I would add, that in an interview I did with Mercante Sr in his own home for Muhammad Ali, The Whole story, where I was brought along as the Senior Boxing Consultant for the project, Mercante did some things in front of the crew that had their jaws dropping to their knees.

First he did an imitation of Joe Frazier complaining to him about Mercante sticking his finger into Joe's eye in the first Ali fight. The cameras were rolling and I have this on film to this day. Senior did the worst minstrel show, imitiation of what he envisioned an African American sounds like to his ear.
    I've known Joe from when he first came out of the Olympics and he has been my friend who has done many things with me and for me.

When Arthur did this impression, it was so demeaning that the man producer cringed and had it cut, but I still have the tape. Then he went on to say that referees should still vote and that he always and I stress always favored the boxer when he voted.

I was numb from it as I had seen his votes in the past get eviscerated by Garden crowes espeically in the Carter v Benton fight. He then demonstrated with the skill of someone wearing an ascot, what a smooth boxer should look like. It was the movement of someone with aristocratic pretentions that would go a few with a George Plimpton at the Athletic club kind of vibe.

In any event we are all old now and all have seen better years, and despite what he did to me behind the scenes which was very cruel, I wish him the best of health for his family's sake.
    I just cringe at some choices of the best refs by Comm members as I know what is behind i, and like the late George Carlin said, "Its bad for ya."

tedsares

Sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees which is to say that Ron Lipton was a very fine referee as well. The thing about Ron, aside from his fairness, was that he always was in great shape and was imposing enough that he could control every fight without verbal or physical intrusion. Yeah, Ron was one of my favorite refrees along with Stanley C. and Toby Gibson. I liked Frank Capucino as well. I like te guys you don't notice in there.

vCash

Once again, I have to give thanks and praise to Ron for his davice and taking the time to give me advice on how to treat my injuries.

Thanks again!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Off The River
    Once again, I have to give thanks and praise to Ron for his davice and taking the time to give me advice on how to treat my injuries.

Thanks again!!!
    Reply:

Brendan,

I enjoy sharing training information with you and your focus, dedication and courage under fire from injuries is always an inspiration to me. I hope to meet you someday while we are still Lions, or at least "Second hand Lions."

Thanks pal,

Ron

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tedsares
    Sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees which is to say that Ron Lipton was a very fine referee as well. The thing about Ron, aside from his fairness, was that he always was in great shape and was imposing enough that he could control every fight without verbal or physical intrusion. Yeah, Ron was one of my favorite refrees along with Stanley C. and Toby Gibson. I liked Frank Capucino as well. I like te guys you don't notice in there.
    Reply:

Thanks Bull,
    I remember when I was in the dressing room ready to do Holyfield V Mercer, Frank Capucino came in and sat down next to me. He said, "Ron, I'm glad you got this fight, you're the man, I like that you are nice and relaxed."

I said thanks Cap, and he was always nice to me.

I never forgot that and when I came back to the NYSAC for a seminar where Ron Scott Stevens deliberatelly set me up for a phony meeting giving me false hope to renew my license, Cap came over to me and made it a big point to be very, very friendly to me in front of the rest of them, along with Benji Estevez, Sammy Viruet and others. Good guys. Thanks again,

Ron

vCash

No Ron, you may be a lion, I am simply a Wily ol dog. Perhaps some day I will have the furtune of meeting you. You have been a real help in me adjusting my programme.

tedsares

Hey, Ron, The book comes back from the editor on Monday and then the hard work begins. Post editor work is like going into the championship rounds. It's all about "ego city."

vCash

Well,..... pause, silence, deep breath, .....getting back to Your book,
    I can't wait to see this one, as the first was great, fix it up and lets get the presses rolling. It ought to be a knockout!

tedsares

Hope so. Thanks for the props, brother.

vCash

You deserve it Ted "The Bull."

Administrator
    vCash

Hey Ron -- any suggestions on how to deal with aching joints?

I was doing real well on treadmill (walking) and cross track etc. Then I somehow screwed up one ankle while cleaning my pool. NEVER any swelling, just pain. For almost a week i couldnt put any pressure on it. It has been 3 weeks and i can now walk and dont feel constant pain but If I press the joint at the front It feels sore.

Any ideas on how to shake this off?

vCash

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about this. It is nothing to mess with if you want it to heal.

When it is swollen an ice pack should be applied when it is first injured to get the swelling down. Then epsom salt hot soaks, wrap it for support but not tightly with an ace bandage and let it rest. Take a mild dose of 81mg coated aspirin to reduce inflammation, and when it heals, just start moving it mildly with ankle roatations very carefully, flexing it slowly to feel it out.

Never hurts to have it X-Rayed and have a sports medicine pro take a look too.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Ron

tedsares

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeLisa
    Hey Ron -- any suggestions on how to deal with aching joints?

I was doing real well on treadmill (walking) and cross track etc. Then I somehow screwed up one ankle while cleaning my pool. NEVER any swelling, just pain. For almost a week i couldnt put any pressure on it. It has been 3 weeks and i can now walk and dont feel constant pain but If I press the joint at the front It feels sore.

Any ideas on how to shake this off?

Grey Goose on the rocks with a twist and three olives.

tedsares

Your expertise is required on he Randy Gordon thread--at least by me it is.

+ Reply to Thread