Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 70 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 2100

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Off The River
    Ron,

I have a question regarding diet. I have been hitting the treadmill, for about thirty or fourt minutes a day doing over 150 crunches. Some pushups and a circut of freeweights. All in all the workkout is brisk and nothing too serious.

I've cut back on the calories with a slice of toast and cheese for breakfast, along with some orange juice. For lunch, I have a bowl of rice, soup (Korean) and some veggies. Same thiing for dinner. I've dropped about 7 kg (15lbs) this month.

Earlier on, I was feeling a little lightheaded. when I would stand up. It is not as bad now, but I was wondering if I am a little short on protein as I have seriously limited my intake s before.

As always, I appreciate your help.

Brendan
    OTR, I always found that Avocado's are real energy boosters and are very healthy for you.

I agree with all else Ron said!

vCash

Avocados are one of my favorites, delicious too.
    Thank you,

Ron

vCash

Thanks to both of you. Funny enough though, I don't run into a lot of avacado's here in Korea, and of all the fruit in the world, I only hate melons! Don't ask me why, I just do.

Again, Omega eggs are non existent in Korea. Korean tends to rely more on local produce than imported stuff. My problem with eggs is that I was eating them for breakfast and lost no weight. I cut them out and started to lose weight. I just notice a loss in muscle mass.

I'm more concerned with losing the fat first though and will snack on nuts and fruit.

You are a great help my friend.

vCash

Ron,

If you want any help consolidating your footage and converting it for web i would be more than happy to do it all and get it back to you in whatever format you like.

josh

Administrator
    vCash

Off The River -- you mentioned you are in Korea. Is it possible you might know someone who reads or collects comic books?

I want to get info on Korean comic book artist Sanho Kim. He worked here in the states for a number of years, then returned to Korea around 1996.

Can you help? He should be fairly well known. I'd like to interview him for a book I am writing.

vCash

Thanks Josh,

I will contact you.

Ron

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    Recently, Ricky Hatton mentioned me to the press in England as per his agent Paul Speak. He opted for Floyd Mayweather but I was told I was on the top of a short list of trainers, and I only offered to increase his one shot punching power almost 100% with each hand. I sent him a video. He chose for this fight with Malignaggi to improve his head movement and defense instead.
    Hi Mr Lipton.

I was reading an interview with Ricky Hatton in last weeks Boxing News and he did indeed mention you and how impressed he was with the DVD you had sent him. No other trainer was mentioned apart from Mayweather Snr of course.

Tough break that you didn't det the gig, maybe next time, fingers crossed.

Quick question

If you did train Ricky Hatton would you insist on him turning up to training camp at a certain weight so that you can start working on him straight away, as opposed to spending the first few weeks just trying to drop the excess fat?

I have followed Hattons career since he turned professional and like many others have always been concerned about his between fight weight issues.

vCash

If he was to put his trust totally in me, and listened to me about preserving his legacy that he paid for with his fists, heart and blood, I would have him in shape year round until he hung up the gloves. He would bless the day he trusted me 100% and did whatever I told him. He would become a destroyer, instead of taking a long time to get them out of there, he would get them out sooner, and those who went the distance would feel like Ali did after Frazier I.

vCash

Just wanted to get your input on the upcoming Peter/Vitali fight....

I read today that the Peter camp is having him chop a lot of wood and are training in Germany for the bout in a few weeks.

My thinking is the guy needs a ton of help on his footwork and ability to close the gap quickly while keeping his balance. Adding punching power isn't his weakness, but my guess is they're working on adding to strengths as opposed to further improving weaknesses. Opinions?

Wouldn't some work with a top shelf glove man help? After all the arc of his punches is going to be different to catch this particular opponent. Klitschko may not be graceful, but he does fight tall & throws 1-2's and steps back or to the side. I'm thinking of where Peter's feet need to be in order for him to land, since he's a flat footed guy in there and doesn't do anything on his toes.

The other thing I don't like is the lack of roadwork by these heavyweights anymore. At least it would keep the pounds off & let them weigh in at an optimal weight. I know it has to be hard getting the heavyweight out of bed for the 5am jogging--especially when they have money and the trainer has no "or else" at his disposal. But the Klitschko's do roadwork and do stay in shape & don't balloon up between fights.

I guess I'd just like to see a guy like Peter be more of a Joe Frazier type than a David Tua type in the preperations department. Thoughts?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by robertk
    Just wanted to get your input on the upcoming Peter/Vitali fight....

I read today that the Peter camp is having him chop a lot of wood and are training in Germany for the bout in a few weeks.

My thinking is the guy needs a ton of help on his footwork and ability to close the gap quickly while keeping his balance. Adding punching power isn't his weakness, but my guess is they're working on adding to strengths as opposed to further improving weaknesses. Opinions?

Wouldn't some work with a top shelf glove man help? After all the arc of his punches is going to be different to catch this particular opponent. Klitschko may not be graceful, but he does fight tall & throws 1-2's and steps back or to the side. I'm thinking of where Peter's feet need to be in order for him to land, since he's a flat footed guy in there and doesn't do anything on his toes.

The other thing I don't like is the lack of roadwork by these heavyweights anymore. At least it would keep the pounds off & let them weigh in at an optimal weight. I know it has to be hard getting the heavyweight out of bed for the 5am jogging--especially when they have money and the trainer has no "or else" at his disposal. But the Klitschko's do roadwork and do stay in shape & don't balloon up between fights.

I guess I'd just like to see a guy like Peter be more of a Joe Frazier type than a David Tua type in the preperations department. Thoughts?

Reply: I agree about becoming more of a Joe Frazier type, who can bend at the waist and come out of weaves with short and long hooks placed to the arms, shoulders, ribs and head. Since Peter knocked out Jeremy Williams with that dynamic hook, he has never excited me in any way.
    His midsection has become so thick he has permitted himself to follow the same road Ray Mercer did.

Their training complacency is their fistic doom and there goes any legacy.
    Plodding and bounding forward with ponderous mediocrity. Balance in his attack is something that must be worked on and maintained, you are correct.
    Against Klit he is up against a stand up opponent who we all know from A-Z as does Peter. It is a good point about training to deliver your punches on such a tall target, but remember his body is always there to rip into.

I don't like punches with a sloppy arc on them, although some fighters can do it effectively. Ask Marlon Starling about the arc on Tom Molinares after the bell punch, but the job Joe Louis did up close to Primo Carnera is more to my liking, just ripping in fast combinations until he fell.

Peter like all the rest is an Eagle among crows in a pathetic division devoid of anyone who knows how to fight. Their combinations are so slow, sloppy and unprofessional. Either stiff weight lifters or guys with portly midsections who refuse to train properly and sacrifice. I watched W. Klitchko use that pawing jab and just changed the channel. Vitali coming back is interesting but I have never seen him crouch low, bend his legs, even like big George Foreman used to do.

Everything is straight up stiff as a board, but it is his way, imagine what Ali would do to these guys who truly cannot fight but only go through boxing basics.

In this fight anything can happen and Peter could catch him a shot after such a long layoff. Chopping wood, sledgehammer work and mixing old school with modern always helps.

Peter could do his roadwork like Ricky Hatton at 7PM if he wanted, but it is how these guys eat and live between fights that shortens their careers.

best wishes,

Ron

vCash

Ron/Robert -

Thought you guys might like to hear Vitali's view on Peter chopping wood from the presser the other day -

"Question: Vitali, what do you think about chopping wood? Is that good for a fighter? Does it matter? What is your opinion?

Klitschko: Chopping wood, you know maybe it's good in a movie. If Samuel Peter wants to practice that, I have a lot of land in Siberia, a lot of wood. He’ll get a lot of practice."

Of course with Vitali's injury prone body, it's probably best he doesn't chop wood, he'd likely lop a foot off...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by doomeddisciple
    Ron/Robert -

Thought you guys might like to hear Vitali's view on Peter chopping wood from the presser the other day -

"Question: Vitali, what do you think about chopping wood? Is that good for a fighter? Does it matter? What is your opinion?

Klitschko: Chopping wood, you know maybe it's good in a movie. If Samuel Peter wants to practice that, I have a lot of land in Siberia, a lot of wood. He’ll get a lot of practice."

Of course with Vitali's injury prone body, it's probably best he doesn't chop wood, he'd likely lop a foot off...
    Reply: I worked for a tree service and it was one of the most taxing things I ever put my body through, including loading trucks which I did for Hoffman Soda when I was going to College in Cranford N.J. My forearms, shoulders and lower back were put to the test. Swinging a John Henry Sledgehammer, wrestlling, and doing plyometrics in addition to boxing are not just for the movies, they make you an X-Man mutant that can jump through fire hoops.

Vitali is a strong guy, and I respect his skeletal frame as a force to deal with, his weight training background is something I respect, yet he is missing pieces in his reportoir. Old school flexibility, real skill training and the viciousness of attack and consistency of attack which comes from a well of a different kind of physical fitness and skill training.

It has always puzzled me what choices famous fighters make in terms of trainers. Some guys they pick when they fought took too many punches and no punch, others were never punchers but good boxers but have no knowledge of modern methods or diet or bodybuilding training which is so essential today for the modern fighter, nor did they have any kind of good physique or power, yet bizzare choices based on "Fame" are made all the time and it never seems to pay off.

Vitali will do ok with this guy, but Peter has got to get that gigantic girth of his waist down and stop as Jim Jeffries said, "Digging his grave with his teeth," at the dinner table.

The fans are sick of Tony Tubbs, Tim Witherspoon, Sam Peters kind of builds that do not look the part nor can execute like a champ. I like what Larry Merchant once said to Tim Witherspoon saying, he was comfortable at his weight. "You are supposed to feel comfortable at the beach, not in training for a fight."

vCash

Let me start by saying I am no Ron Lipton here guys. But...

I think chopping wood is an amazing ecercise. I know because I had to cut and split wood every summer to heat my home since I was about 12. Most of your old school fighters were in alwaays shape because of the work they did. I nnever lifted a weight until my mid twenties, but I worked in the summers on farms and the winters loading boxes in warehouses.

Later on, to put myself through university, I worked geophysical exploration annd was in great shape for rugby after a winter of "SEISMIC".

I never hhad much of a physique, but I could always hold my own in the strength department. And I always had excellent endurance. I still believe that a fella can get in great shape withought lifting a weight.

These kind of exercises build long term endurance muscles rather than the short term strength one gets from weights. Weights a re great, but I really believe that weight training strength and work strength are very different. I think a combination of thhe two is ideal.

vCash

I agree. There is no substitute for usable muscle, one must use it all and not just keep it for show. For health alone, you have to be active every single day of your life with some days off of course, for recuperation.

vCash

Hi Ron,

I was wondering if there was any breakthroughs on getting your heavybag sessions up on youtube.

Brendan

vCash

Hi Brendan,

I am trying to glean an amalgum of different sets of footage from different sources of VHS tape onto a DVD. I don't have a real thorough session from beginning to end but bits and pieces of me being filmed delivering some nice jolting shots. As soon as I can get through some other things on my plate right now I will be at it.

Hope all is well,

Ron

vCash

Thanks Ron,

All is great. I am now the proud father of two beautiful boys! My wife gave birth to our second boy a month ago. They are doing great and he eats like a horse.

I was mostly interested in the positioning of my back foot when throwing a left hook. It just doesn't feel right. I saw a few youtube clips, but I'd certainly love to see what you do. I'm also kind of experimenting with throwing quick hard punches on the bag and finishing them off with defensive TKD kicks. I want to thrown a jab, straight right, left hook combo followed by a round house kick while creating some distance.
    If it's not too much to ask...How about having Juan (or someone)come down and do a five minute instructional video?

Thanks as always and best wishes.

Brendan

vCash

I will see what I can do. I am pretty well versed in demonstraing different ways to throw the short and long left hook from different angles and off of a jab or right hand. My good friend Jose "Chegui" Torres and I practiced to his great amusement my imitation in his hotel room in front of his wife Ramona, his left hook to the kidney area, thrown legally from the front that he used to drop iron jawed Wayne Thornton and the left hook to the side of Pastrano and Olson.

I also show to my boxing class all the time the left hook Tiger used to drop Jose Monon Gonzalez which is a hard thing to do.

Remember when you pivot off that front foot the weight is shifted onto that back leg, just don't stay there, come right back to your center of balance.

This old man has a left hook right now, short and long which will make you smile. Ricky Hatton's father told me it was one of the hardest he saw and that Ricky was amazed at the short punching power from my techniques.
    Buddy McGirt gave me some nice complimens recently on it too, he is a great guy and a fighter who I always respected.

Don't laugh but I could show Pac man how to stop Oscar, but of course will never get the chance. Being under 6'7" myself I have had to KO big guys all my crazy ass life and have it down to a bloody science.

Blessing for you family and so glad to know your boys are flourishing. God love them.

vCash

Thanks again Ron. For the advice and the blessing.

My left hook to the body is decent(in my opinion), But I always had difficulty with doubling it up, especially to the head. I'd love to see a demonstration of your technique on youtube if you ever get the chance.

Perhaps, it will even get you a little more exposure and lead to somebody adding you to thier camp.

vCash

Brendan,

Some fighters are masters at that but in different ways.
    One guy who was great at it with devastating effect was Rubin Carter.
    When different guys were in there with him, they would step around him clockwise while jabbing him. On the turn he would rip off the hook to the body and bring it to the head with a unique delivery. I have it down pretty good.

Roy Jones Jr would crank off a series of hooks churning up the handspeed with a nice kick on the end of each shot, but sacrificed some power for speed.

LaMotta or Galento who both did not have a great right hand, would double, triple, and even throw four or more hooks at once, but it was kind of pawing and going all out with one hand.

The punch you do not see coming is the one that gets you. Relax your radar for a second when the guy in front of you takes a dip or slips a shot to counter, while keeping your feet in one place and those multiple hooks find a way of getting in.

Joe Frazier would work that body with double hooks coming out of a weave and then go to the head.

We work on this all the time in my boxing class until the fighters cannot go any more. Power drills for both hands, all angles, multiple punches with me on them all ironing out the slightest flaw in delivery until they are like a Lion killing a zebra with the one and only shot they will get.

Conditioning, practice and repitiion, correcting flaws and preparting for every scenario with the right trainer is everything.

Protecting your chin with your shoulders and hands is so important while on the attack, as are lightning reflexes with your feet to move you in and out of position to strike and avoid getting knocked out if you catch one back.

I always train my guys to have the best abs, intercostals, serratus, obliques, lower back and flexibility to move their body and head like a lightning strike.

I should make a DVD to market and make some dough (Smile) before I need a walker to get to the gym.

vCash

I'll buy it! I've been sticking to the ab work thanks to you Ron. I'm down to a pretty decent 190 lbs from at least 210. Flexibility is great with the TKD. I hhaven't been hittng the weights but I am doing a good deal of pushups. Nice and slow and varied from wide and close to my side.

I like starting from distance and moving into the bag with a double jab or a quick low roundhouse or front kick and then fire off a few combinations. Quick hooks jabs and straight rights. in close and then I create some distance with another kick. When I trained a bit with Tiger lo Durelle, he had me throw a double short hook, it was really fast, but it always felt awkward to me. I never questioned him, because the man is a force with both hands.

All in all Ron, I credit your advice to the main reason I am getting back into the shape I want to be in.

vCash

Sounds like you are in great shape and a force by yourself. With your strength, skill and speed be careful you don't hurt anyone real bad in a fight, those self defense situations can end up horribly with legal tangles in a half second. Those variety of pushups are great conditioners.

vCash

Ron - We'll get your footage on youtube and the offers will start rolling in for sure.

vCash

Thanks mate,

I will get onto it.

vCash

Lol Ron! I'll do my best to stay out of trouble. I had a close call on the freeway the other day. Damn idiot drivers!!!!!!!!

vCash

Ron:
    Just watched Collins-Eubank I...

you did a good job.

Cliff

vCash

Thank you very much.

Where did you see it?

There were a lot of pressures in that fight behind the scenes, the fight between Collins and his manager promoter ended up in High Court in Dublin with me testifying for a week there several years later. I just read that Steve Collins, a guy I always liked, is standing trial for assault in Ireland after an Albanian security guard disrepsected him as Collins tried to enter a fight arena in Dublin where he lives.

Stevo hit him one shot and broke his teeth in half. Knowing him he must have had good cause, he always acted like a gentleman to all from what I saw.

vCash

Had a copy for a while and just hadn't watched it. Too bad about Collins; good fighter.

vCash

Ron -

I was watching Ibeabuchi Tua last night and watching two young big guys throw the big stuff like that got me thinking, is David Tua the hardest puncher you've officiated, both in real terms and pound for pound?

Josh

vCash

Great question.

Tua's hook was the heaviest for sure.

When Tua was at his best weight I refereed him twice. Against 6'7" Dan Murphy in Atlantic City NJ and against Rick Hunnicut in Poughkeepsie. His left hook against them and Ruiz and his right hand against Moorer was amazingly heavy and ponderous. Tua's hook was heavy, Morrison's hook over the top was short with tremendous snap and torque, Holyfield's short hook was sharp and accurate.

Yet in MSG and in Yonkers Raceway I refereed Lt Heavy David The Bear Telesco when his left hook had such snap and a kick on the end of it he could kill you with it. The one in the Garden sounded for the first time in the ring refereeing like one of my own landing, the leather exploded like Tommy Hearns' taking out Duran with that all time show stopper right hand. The guy went down like he was killed.

Then despite Telesco being muscular he lost power as time went by maybe from abuse outside the ring. A lot of guys said he was very unfriendly to fans too. I saw him years later in Middletown NY where fans were saying hello to him and he would not even answer them. I even said hello and he walked by like he was on another planet.

Tua put on too much weight and his magic was gone.

If I may add these thoughts on executing your best shots etc.

There are so many different kind of punches to me that my fighting mind breaks them down into such esoteric categories you would think I was crazy.

The magic that flows in prize fighters is controlled by their sincere confidence in themselves like a pit bull that loves to fight and is in razor sharp shape. To punch your hardest all the time you need mind control and I teach that to my students to make it a personal thing to make your body work under pressure without losing focus. Otherwise it is like a bodybuilder who has not eaten, feels flat, stale and cannot get a pump. Your mind can make great punches happen if you have it in tune with body control.

I like very much the way Hatton was focused in that ring coming in. I saw it immediately and was impressed, I saw it right down to his heart. His face said it all and it was real. Beautiful.

They are unique machines that can best deliver their great punches when all flows well from their mind being supremely in control and feeding their body with their own private thoughts that make them fight and deliver the goods at their best weight, state of mind and coming in on time.

If they lose their focus or are not happy as I call it in fighting that night, really looking forward to it lets say and being ready, then the great shots do not come. Its all flow and power, power and flow from the mind on out.

Some guys have only a good short hook and loose power on the long hook.
    Others do not have a good long right hand only a short shot. Some can punch down with power better than others and some cannot punch down at all.

I will take a straight right hand punch like Arguello took out Rooney and Costello with anyday over the punches that Amir Khan got dumped with swinging from the hip with giant arcs on the shots. Both types are hard but one is more accurate and professional.

Throw one monkey wrench into the machine and all of a sudden, Pauli Malignaggi cannot move, Julian Jackson can't touch Gerald McClellan, John Mugabi gets blasted out by Terry Norris and Norris gets blasted out with one shot by Julian Jackson.

Push a great puncher or shoulder bump him off balance he cannot set himself to punch a crowding fighter, he might need more room if he can only punch great one way. That is how Tiger beat Carter, crowded him and kept punching him off balance, same with Ralph Tiger Jones against Robinson.

Got to have your mind right Luke.

+ Reply to Thread