Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 70 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 2100

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

Hey Ron.
    I really enjoyed your interview on TalkingBoxing. One thing that caught my attention was Bills reference to a training method you use with a wheel. would you mind explaining this to us? It deffinetly made an impression.
    Thanks Ron

Randy

vCash

Hey Ron.
    I really enjoyed your interview on TalkingBoxing. One thing that caught my attention was Bills reference to a training method you use with a wheel. would you mind explaining this to us? It deffinetly made an impression.
    Thanks Ron

Randy

vCash

I think he was refering to me pre exhausting my fighters with a vicious ab routine that I put them through hitting every possible abdominal area muscle group and then when they are exhausted as am I from doing it with them and pushing them, I took a simple abdominal wheel roller, and made them do sets of 25 with it at different angles and very low stretches to the ground.

This was done after sets of strict with no swaying stiffl leg raises over head while hanging from a chin bar in sets of 15 keeping the abs very tight and followed by punching routines developed by me delivering short fast punches with lots of speicalized torque on them.

I PT'd them to the point where once rested and in the ring to actually fight, the threat of the opponent was nothing compared to coming through the doors of the gym to be with me.

After a year they began to love it though.

vCash

I want to thank Adeyinka Makinde for putting up all those bites from the Dick Tiger interviews I did with hiim on You Tube.

It was a pleasure reminsicing with you Ade about those days of high adventure with Tiger, Carter and Depaula.

Ron

vCash

I agree Ron
    I really enjoyed them. Hope life is good for you these days old buddy.

Chris Nagel

Hi Ron,
    I was pleasantly surprised to find your interviews when I was looking up some of Dick Tiger's fights on Youtube. You're truly blessed to have gotten to know them first hand and spend time with them. It's something that that a guy like me can only dream of.

Anyways I wanted to tell you, I've started a boxing study group. It's like a book club-- except with fights! It'll be a fantastic way to discuss fights and share ideas with fighters and fight fans alike, and who says that you can't be both. This will help us learn more about the fighters themselves, as well as understand and appreciate more of the different aspects of boxing.

I'm particularly interested in a fighter's perspective of watching a fight as if you were going to fight them, i.e. get a feel for what a fighters is doing, assess what they are trying to do, and from that form a plan of attack. One thing that I'll try to do is pick up moves as I watch good fighters and then work on incorporating it into my style. If I'm impressed with a particular move, I'll practice it a thousand times until I master it, even if the opportunity to use it comes only once or twice.

This going to be done over the internet since it's possible to download many fights in the same way that people share and download videos and music. I've already have a decent collection of fights on my computer and I've decided on the first fighter that we'll go over. I've picked Ricardo Lopez to start things off, because just like how you learn the fundamentals as the first thing in boxing, it made sense to look at a fighter who is fundamentally solid. Of course there's other fights that I'd like go over later, including some fights that you're very familiar with such as Holly Mims vs Rubin Carter, and Rubin Carter vs George Benton. I was just thinking about something that you said on here before, "Study your boxing heroes closely and you can steal the steel off the battlefield."

Anyways I was gonna have my first fight this last weekend but I had to pull out because that I sprained my right ankle while sparring couple of weeks ago, and it still hasn't fully healed yet. I believe that consistency is important in training so I've been been trying to work around it the best that I can. It's become good enough that I've recently been using a stair master to get some aerobics in, and you'd probably laugh if you saw me doing jumping jacks at my gym on one leg matching the other guys jump for jump. I'm going start sparring again next week, albeit a little flat footed. God, I can't wait to for it to be good enough that I can pick up my jump rope or start running again. I'd rather be in the ring fighting like the rest of my gym mates, than a spectator alone.

Sincerely,
    Chris

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    I want to thank Adeyinka Makinde for putting up all those bites from the Dick Tiger interviews I did with hiim on You Tube.

It was a pleasure reminsicing with you Ade about those days of high adventure with Tiger, Carter and Depaula.

Ron
    The pleasure is mutual sir.

vCash

Thanks so much Randy and Danny, much appreicated.

Chris,
    you certainly have great discipline and dedication. Most admirable.

Your idea sounds like fun and with the choices of fights and fighters you can't go wrong.

Hope you heal up soon and best of luck in the upcoming bout. Don't make that injury worse, just keep training around it and you'll be back in tip top shape.

Ron

vCash

Ron,

Always enjoy reading your posts here. Always great stuff and just watched your interviews on youtube, getting personal accounts of sparring with some all time greats is as good as it gets.

I let myself get way out of shape for about 12 months until about 3 months ago when I started lifting weights. I've gone from about 250 lbs. to currently 220 lbs (I'm about 6' 6"), shed a lot of body fat and have packed on some solid muscle. Just from weights and diet,zero cardio, no boxing or even running on a tread mill after I lift.

I went back to do some boxing training one day last week and I actually felt pretty good hitting the heavy bags (my power was there). However, my legs are stiff, very dificult to get low when I was bobbing and weaving while shadow boxing and moving.

Anyway, my question is...do you have any excersises be they stretching or weights or a combination of both to become more flexible?

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rifle

vCash

I would want you to do a light but thorough leg routine to get into the cut again including walking.

Good warmup and stretch session, for your abs, lower back and circulation.
    Then:

One set leg extensions with a weight that allows you to do 20 reps to warm up your knees and quads.

After resting no more than about 20-30 seconds do a light set of leg curls, probably with lower weight for about 15 reps so that there is a balance of working the front and back of your legs.

Do 4 super sets like that adding a little weight on the leg extension machine so that you did 20 reps, 15 reps, 12 reps. Same with the Leg curl.

Then do 3 sets of leg presses, 25 reps, 20 reps, 15 reps with a set of calf raises with each set. Choose the proper weight.

Every day it is nice outside walk for 30-45 minutes in the park or do it on a treadmill and before you know it your legs will be back. You will be able to jump rope for 3 rounds with a 30 second rest between rounds if you must.

Start out light and work gradually. Adjust the workout for you own needs.
    As you progress and your leg strength comes back things can be added and changed. Keep stretching those hamstrings and avoid squats for now.
    You can also use the standing calf machine for calf raises on your toes.

Something is better than nothing and the walking is the most important outside covering ground at a brisk walk for your heart and legs.

best of luck,

Ron

vCash

Ron, don't know if you saw Muahammad Ali last night on televison accepting the 2009 NCAA President's Award.

I was taken back by the champ's condition which saw him seated on stage in a chair with Lonnie standing beside him.

Ali's entire body was convulsing throughout the presentation which also saw Jennifer Hudson sing a song to him.

To make matters worse, there was a large overhead sign that had spelled his name wrong as MuhammEd Ali with an E.

It broke my heart to see Ali like that and makes me seriously wonder how much longer he'll be with us.

Peace,

Bill

vCash

Thanks for tellling me buddy,

Is there a link to a broadcast of that, I would like to take a look.

Yes, when I have seen films of him recently I cannot help but grieve to think the same thing. He is so much a part of my heart, has done so much for me personally, it is just horrible to see him like this. If only the government coud release the medical help that is available for cancer, age reversal and so many other things that are controlled by profit instead of the truth.

Reversatrol according to 60 minutes e.g. will not be available for another 5 years which turns back the aging process. I know Ali's situation is so much more serious but perhaps stem cell research could have helped long ago if not for medieval and political miopia.

vCash

Ron,
    I try to keep myself in shape, but I don't think I could keep up. Then again I have seen pictures of your abs.
    I have been working with my son. I will be trying to work some of that ab workout into his training. Unless something changes he will have his first pro MMA fight on the 28th of this month. I am still hoping to send him to train with you after he gets some more expierence under his belt. I plan on having him in top condition before then.
    If you have any more training methods that might help we would really appreciate a little help.
    Thanks Ron

Randy

vCash

For an actual competition as I did with Marcus Glenn Randle, Jim Glenn's son who won the Midland Championships in England when he left here after training with me side by side for 5 weeks, we must train seriously. It not only enhances your chance for a win but protects your health and safety in that ring.

Let me know when he has to fight and perhaps this spring or summer he can come out here to train with me. I train MMA guys all the time and I have a black belt in Judo. I stress hand techniques, power, speed and conditioning.

The greatest MMA fighters in the world still get knocked out with one shot on the chin, all the time. That is what I teach. Silva, Liddell, all of them are great, but anyone can be had, anyone.

E-mail me at home.

Best,

Ron

vCash

Mr Lipton

Here is a link to a very recent interview with your friend Emile Griffith.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/BN08/detail.asp?id=973

vCash

Thank you so much for showing that to me.

Emile is some fistic treasure for us all. May God watch over him.

Ron

vCash

One set leg extensions with a weight that allows you to do 20 reps to warm up your knees and quads.
    That was a great bit of advice you gave me Ron. I had been training pretty hard from the fall (Christmas was not so good ) in through Janurary and in through part of March.

Weights in the morning, with lots of crunches and Tae Kwon do in the evenong, with lots of crunches.

Then lo and behold, I went and did the splits at the beginning of my morning workout and tore a muscle (I think) in my lower glute and upper hamstring. The pain was really sharp and I had a had time walking for over a week. I'm back jumping rope and doing some light running now, but I had decided to lay off any lifting for the past month.

I'm ready to go back and keep it light, but do you know of any good physio exercises for that area? Again I was doing the splits with my right leg extended in front of me. The pain extends from my inner thigh, down my hamstring. I can throw a round house kick fine, but a basic front kick is painful. I cans pread my legs fairly well doing side splits, but I still have trouble touching my toes, where I could easily touch my palms on the floor before.

So once again, I come here seeking your expert advice. What healing exercises would you recommend?

Brendan

Oh yeah I am about to purchase a kettlebell. Are you familar with them at all?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Off The River
    That was a great bit of advice you gave me Ron. I had been training pretty hard from the fall (Christmas was not so good ) in through Janurary and in through part of March.

Weights in the morning, with lots of crunches and Tae Kwon do in the evenong, with lots of crunches.

Then lo and behold, I went and did the splits at the beginning of my morning workout and tore a muscle (I think) in my lower glute and upper hamstring. The pain was really sharp and I had a had time walking for over a week. I'm back jumping rope and doing some light running now, but I had decided to lay off any lifting for the past month.

I'm ready to go back and keep it light, but do you know of any good physio exercises for that area? Again I was doing the splits with my right leg extended in front of me. The pain extends from my inner thigh, down my hamstring. I can throw a round house kick fine, but a basic front kick is painful. I cans pread my legs fairly well doing side splits, but I still have trouble touching my toes, where I could easily touch my palms on the floor before.

So once again, I come here seeking your expert advice. What healing exercises would you recommend?

Brendan

Oh yeah I am about to purchase a kettlebell. Are you familar with them at all?
    Reply: Hi Brendan,

Very sorry to hear you did that. An old war dog like you should know to never do those splits cold, plus as we get older and the muscles still remain strong and flexible, those damn connective tissues fail us when we least expect it. That is why there are legions of athletes with torn rotator cuffs and injuries like that.

You absolutely must rest that injured area and in a perfect world where we could afford advanced therapy treatments of electric stimulation, hot and cold packs, whirlpool all applied by Ms. Olmpia type wearing a garter belt and stockings, it usually ain't happening that way, soooooo,

Hot tub soaks for healing, heating pad, ice pack application for swelling, if tolerable by you personally aspirin for inflammation control and pain or tylenol as needed.

If you have an actual tear in the lower glute and the adductor muscle in your leg, you should have a MRI to be sure and then follow the advice of a doctor.
    This is nothing to fool with.

If indeed it is just a strain, it must be treated with patience and avoid any exercise that could exacerbate the injury. Let it heal and keep a good blood flow in the injured area. Ice as stated above will reduce swelling right away and then apply heat as needed for healing. Take some hot baths too.

Isolated exercises like leg curls should be avoided during this healing process as should hard MMA leg strikes and acute stretching. Let it heal and then go very slowly into warming up with basics like walking, and work around that injury until it feels like you can start in again on a normal routine, but slowly.

Find out the extent of the injury via an MRI if the pain is acute. You must do this for your own protection if this persists.

best of luck,
    Ron

vCash

PS I did put in a call for you to Ms. Olympia house calls for glute repair.com

Let me know if she shows up.

Ron

vCash

Ms Korea would kill me if I ended up getting treatment from Ms Olympia there Ron! I should have gone to the accupuncturest right away, he would have used ,electro, heat, ultrasound and needles to straighten me out, but I have been just resting it. It seems to be coming along, I have no problem on my bike, but a damn good massage would be in order.

Leave it to me to think I am still 20!

As for the MRI, they are ridicuosly expensive over here. It is getting better and I have rested for a month. I'm just wondering whatsome good strengthening exercises for that particular kind of injury night be.

vCash

Utilizing moderate movement in the injured area of the glutes, adductor and hamstrings would keep a healing blood flow going while removing waste, preventing atrophy, and give you the mental sense of doing something rather than remain sedentary.

Emulating the plane of movement in an actual leg curl while lying on your stomach would call those muslces into play. If you were on a leg curl machine and you remained flat, the compound movement of curling would bring into play the glutes and hamstrings. Raise the torso and it hits more of the glutes.

Standing one legged curls while testing the pain-injury level whether it has subsided or remains would be helpfull without any weight just curling your leg to test the injury. If it hurts then you know to stop.

Sitting on the floor spreading your legs without pain, keeping the back of the leg flat to the floor and stretching out toward your toes while testing the waters would help in this type of hamstring stretch.

Sit on the floor while using your hands by pulling both heels toward your groin area as a stretch would help once the injury heals sufficiently.

Lunges done in moderation as a stretch and test would give your glutes and hamstrings a good stretch too.

Bending toward the floor while keeping your feet close together and touching the floor with your palms would stretch the whole area.

The main thing is to let it heal up, take hot baths, and use that Icy/Hot salve on the injured areas during the day.

best,
    Ron

Lying on your back and doing mild pelvic thrusts upward tightening the glutes at the top would be a start once you feel things have healed a bit.

vCash

Perhaps a female companion of choice can help in the last exercise listed as a test of the areas injured

vCash

Ha! You dirty old man you! I'm telling you don't give me any ideas. As much as I like the idea of fornication, I am married with two youg boys and for some reason that kind of stuff only seems to happen during the equinoxes!

The standing leg curls sound about right. Firtunately for me, I've been injured enough to know how important rest is. I just hat the fact that I was making such good gains and my cardio routine abruptly ended. For some reason, if I can't do cardio, I can't motivate myself to do strength training.

I had another question you may have missed earlier. What are you thoughts or experiences with kettlebell traingin?

And I've been meaning to ask you thins question for a long time. I know you break down a fighter by his physique. One look and you can tell his strengths and weakness in power and fitness. My question is about Fedor. What are your thoughts on him as a fighter and his physique?

Thanks again.

vCash

I have been heavily involved with some kettlebell people who want me to intergrate this in with my boxing training. I have been studying it with the real pros, some of the best and just went to a health and fitness show at the Marriort Marquis Hotel in NYC and was invited to sit with the Iron Works Gym, Chriss Silverstein and one of the Kettlebell's best advocates Dr. Lorraine Patten, who is at the Arnold Classic in Ohio right now.

They are real competitiors, instructors and afficionado's of the sport.
    It is gruelling and takes tremendous endurance and can only help boxers in their training and conditioning regimen. I approve of it very much.

I also have been speaking with my friend Alwyn Cosgrove who is a great conditioning expert about us doing something together in the near future with his great team.

I saw Fedor Emelianenko fight a few times. He is rugged and tough. He could be in better shape for top notch fights and I need to see more of him to form a solid opinion. Powerful men like him and Cro Crop are a force if you let them have their way with you. Anyone can be beat, it just takes one shot.

vCash

That is the thing about MMA. No recovery. If you get hit and go down, then the fight really begins.

I've seen a lto of Fedors fights. He is an anomoly. He beats guys quick, and he takes them to the distance and wins. When he fought Cro Cop, he actually stood with him. One thing about him, is his training regime is supposedly unreal. No weights though. Only pushups on the parallel bars, wide grip pillups and kettle bell.

I'm ordering a 15kg kettlebell next week and incorporating it in my routing at the TKD gym. I was think ing of starting with alternating situps, pushups and kettlebell swings.

Thanks. As always, I appreciate the time and the advice.

Brendan

vCash

I approve, it is a good routine.

I do sets of 25 pushups on my knuckles all day long, in boxing class, at home, and I have some good kettlebell people helping me too.

I do my own specialized training of course which I am going to market and I think what you are doing is fine.

Some kettlebell athletes, are just amazing as to endurance and the reps they grind out in all the lifts. It is a world unto itself. I am helping to make it part of boxing training combined with some of my original methods.

Heal up strong brother.

best,
    Ron

vCash

I hope to purchase your routine. If the Koran won ever goes back up to a decent exchange rate.

Yours

Brendan

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    Thanks for tellling me buddy,

Is there a link to a broadcast of that, I would like to take a look.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY9k5...eature=related

vCash

10-8,
    Thank you so much.

I watched it and was so grief stricken it felt like my throat was torn out from seeing him like that. I have done so many things with him when we were young, waaaaaaay before anyone wrote a book any book about him. He came to a self defense trial for me and saved my ass, I traveled and lived with him.

I watched it and actually had to go inside and lie down it shook me up so bad.

Life can be so brutal sometimes. I really love him as a person who showed up when I needed him to help. Absolutely devastating to see this for anyone who respects and loves him. May God ease his terrible suffering with a cure soon.

vCash

I sort of wish I had not clicked on that link. I've never seen Ali look so small and frail.

+ Reply to Thread