Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 2100

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

vCash

Some very nice pitbulls for adoption

Ron, in case you don't find what you are looking for regarding a dog, visit this site. I was thinking of adopting the pitbull Conqy, but could not, since I may relocate to Florida. Mighty Mutts are quirky but good hearted people and they really do have some very nice dogs for adoption. Here is their website where you can view dogs up for adoption:
    http://mightymutts.tripod.com/dogs.html

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    R. Theo, in the name of God, what kind of question or statement is that for me? I just lost my dog who had the most love any human being could give from me for 13 years, 4 months and 17 days.
    Indeed I was insensitive. I’m sorry. I hope you accept my apologise.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Theo Netherland
    Indeed I was insensitive. Iím sorry. I hope you accept my apologise.
    R. Theo, this should show you how much I love my dog even now.
    I just adopted another one who I love very much too.
    best,
    Ron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzJNpx7TaLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vI-6g-knLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMREFXgJQTM

vCash

On the note of loosing a dog, have any of you dog lovers seen "Marley and Me?".

I was talking to a colleague from work today (thinking about this thread) and he was like WTF, that was the worst movie ever, didn't make sense.

For me, it was the sadest movie I have ever seen by some margin, I barely shed a tear in movies (shed too many in my life already), but this movie had me an emotional wreck! I went home and put it on last night, a friend who has a dog with me, and he had to leave the room at the end because he was so upset. ha ha, non-dog lovers truly cannot understand the bond you can share with them! It's on a level all by itself!

Edit: Got onto video 3 there but that was all I could stomach! Knowing I will have to go through this again soon with my 15 year old chap and the memories of my previous two buddies makes my empathy 100% there for you! Keep your chin up, Sweetie will be waiting for you and you now have a new best friend to enjoy the same rollercoaster with!
    Last edited by The Welterweight Epitome; 05-28-2010 at 01:22 AM.

vCash

Dear Ron -- hope you are doing OK -- still thinking of you and your Sweetie. Please send me an e-mail when you're up to it -- take care!

-Peter

vCash

Thanks Peter, I shall do so. I adopted a dog who was looking for a permanent family and now is part of mine. She is a blessing helping to heal the pain and loss and she is just wonderful.

thanks,
    Ron

vCash

Mathis-Chuvalo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRtG6fSpy9w

Ron, thought you'd like to see this 'fine' display of refereeing by Harold Valen. It's a classic example of how easily a fight can degenerate between two primed, aggressive heavyweights if a referee doesn't take control and set the tone from the outset.

The action in question heats up around the 3:00 mark of the video when George scores repeatedly low on Bus. Valen warns George a few times without deducting a point which angers Bus and causes him to return the low blows prompting George to eventually throw a very deliberate headbutt. Watch in particular how Bus manhandles Valen, at one point physically pushing him away and Valen lets him get away with it.

On a sidenote it's a shame that Mathis didn't bring this conditioning and aggressive mindset into more fights. He looks as good here as I've ever seen him. That's the Chuvalo curse. Whether it's Ali, Frazier, Foreman etc...George always seemed to catch the top guys when they were primed and focused.

Bill

vCash

Oh I remember that well, fun to see it again.
    I was there and it was a terrible refereeing job.

Last week George Chuvalo called me at home to let me know he would be in NYC today and we spoke last night. I really love that guy. Man did he come to fight in that ring, like hitting a brick wall too.

Those were some of the worst mid ring instructions ever, stammering, faltering gibberish, it is amazing how these guys get assigned. Total loss of control. Just cranky, stupid old men, or baffled politically correct appointees,
    or guys who have been used a lot who are grossly out of shape but still politically connected. Nothing matters including killing a boxer, they will use you again and again.

I've seen them all and a LOT of the "Icon" refs used a lot with recognizable names are automatically by boxing followers, thought to be good.

Chirst almighty look at the films of them, listen to them. Watch them move in there, so freakin awkward, so far away.

I just read an article about a popular grossly out of shape ref today who mentioned some refs that influenced him, both are so bad, the films of them have to be seen to be believed and listen to what they say to the boxers in that ring.

Very, very few fans know what is right or wrong in there. Look at the major bout recently when a boxer is knocked down, the bell rings, he gets up quick and the referee makes him stand there to complete the mandatory 8 count instead of sending him to his corner.

Not one commentator got it. All they ever say when that kind of shit happens is this, "The count continues after the bell and you cannot be saved by the bell," yeah schmucks we know that BUT THAT IS NOT THE CASE HERE WAKE UP. Ok with the knee jerk response phrase already.

If I was sitting next to them, man would I point some things out that affect the fight they never mention. They do not want that.

vCash

Ron who would you rate (excluding yourself) as the top refs today

vCash

Sorry to be a pest Mr Lipton, but could you have a look of my last fight I posted a page back. Really appreciate your feedback, and anyone elses for that matter.

Thanks again

greg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GPater11093
    Sorry to be a pest Mr Lipton, but could you have a look of my last fight I posted a page back. Really appreciate your feedback, and anyone elses for that matter.

Thanks again

greg

R. Promise, soon, want to study it in depth. I WILL get back to you.

vCash

R. Promise, soon, want to study it in depth. I WILL get back to you.
    No problem at all Mr Lipton.

Thanks again

Greg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jlupi
    Ron who would you rate (excluding yourself) as the top refs today
    R. I like Benji Estavez as a referee and as a person. Wayne Kelly is ok too.

The fact Mercante jr got this fight tomorrow is outrageous and only a gift because of the loss of his father, it certainly is not because he killed a boxer in the ring and ruined so many other bouts. It is a NYSAC gift, nothing more.
    I have never seen more horrid mistakes in the ring overlooked by HBO and the NYSAC at his hands. Everyone forgets, does not care or it is a twilight zone fairy tale for him because of his father.

Smoger is no dummy in there although now he talks insane shit to the boxers telling them how to fight.

He did some vicious and totally unnecessary territorial things to me and his former cruelty on a "Local" bench to helpless people borders on Napoleonic sadism and megalomania. He is grossly out of shape now, but at least let the fights go on a bit without panic in the past. His day is gone as to ability and conditioning. Politically he is a master with promoters and influence and ability to garner assignments far and wide. Very skilled at those kind of maneuvers with the fringe belt boys over the pond and at home.

vCash

The best referee I have seen is a British referee called Ritchie Davis. Just chucking it out there.

vCash

Greg,
    you deserved the win first and foremost.
    In the first round you were off to a good start and then covered up well when your opponent retaliated, but you do not retaliate strong enough with one shot power during these exchanges which will save you a long night of give and take in these non ending battles of attrition.

You are taking too many shots to the body while remaining stationary. You hold your hands up well under pressure and you throw a good hook to the body when the openings present themselves.

A shaved head, muscles and tattoos do not make a Ron Lipton LOL, only kidding. Your cornermen should refresh you more and stop the George Foreman standing for a minute routine without being refreshed.

In the second round again you were off to a good start, with good body work and then BOOM, you let him back into the fight to negate your advantage.

Your left hand is much improved but you do not step in with your shots to make them harder with a real kick on the end of your punches. Turn those damn punches over and when the other guy starts coming at you move, move, pivot and punch accurately on the turn.

In the third round PELASE stop taking or being forced two steps or so back into the ropes, pivot the correct way out of danger and counter effectively.
    STOP being a punching bag for anyone on the ropes, time them and make them pay in the exchanges.

Midway in the 2nd round he leads with a big right and you make him pay beautifully, then let him right back into the fight to score.

You need more foot speed, hand speed and power and it will come with the right training.

You are a brave lad, and should be proud of your win.

best,
    Ron

vCash

Didn't see that link posted, but will have a look at it tonight Greg.

vCash

A shaved head, muscles and tattoos do not make a Ron Lipton LOL, only kidding.
    LOL. That cracked me up!

I wanted to come back with a really smart comment, but I didn't know how you'd take it. My mouth can get me into trouble sometimes and I value our relationship too much. Funny post.

vCash

Greg,

First of all, I will say, nice work, you outworked that guy well. You threw some great body punching, worked the uppercut nicely when he came inside with his head down, and threw a few beautiful counter right hooks off the ropes.

Things you need to work on, if you are lying on the ropes, more head movement, you used it on the ropes on the right at one point and he clearly missed and simply hit air, this will drain his energy a lot more than just hitting gloves or shoulders.

You definately need to use your jab more, find the range, use more angles and learn to pivot both off the ropes and when altering angles in the centre of the ring. Most of this is just footwork and I would suggest getting this down whilst shadow boxing in the ring (a lot of guys do this at the start of their workouts. bouncing around on your toes, co-ordinating footwork and movement around the ring).

A lot to work on, but the fitness and toughness is there which is more than half the work and you have some nice attributes already!

All the best.
    Last edited by The Welterweight Epitome; 06-04-2010 at 06:21 AM.

vCash

Ron,
    In many photos or film clips I see of old time fighters, epecially the twenties and thirties they are using wall pulleys. Is pulley work really good for fighters or is that just pretty much all they had in those days so it was used often. I remember some "conditioning expert" (not head trainer Victor Vallee) working with Cooney back in the mid 80's was saying how valuable cable work is for fighters. Can you clarify? Thanks much.

vCash

Greg,
    you deserved the win first and foremost.
    In the first round you were off to a good start and then covered up well when your opponent retaliated, but you do not retaliate strong enough with one shot power during these exchanges which will save you a long night of give and take in these non ending battles of attrition.

You are taking too many shots to the body while remaining stationary. You hold your hands up well under pressure and you throw a good hook to the body when the openings present themselves.

A shaved head, muscles and tattoos do not make a Ron Lipton LOL, only kidding. Your cornermen should refresh you more and stop the George Foreman standing for a minute routine without being refreshed.

In the second round again you were off to a good start, with good body work and then BOOM, you let him back into the fight to negate your advantage.

Your left hand is much improved but you do not step in with your shots to make them harder with a real kick on the end of your punches. Turn those damn punches over and when the other guy starts coming at you move, move, pivot and punch accurately on the turn.

In the third round PELASE stop taking or being forced two steps or so back into the ropes, pivot the correct way out of danger and counter effectively.
    STOP being a punching bag for anyone on the ropes, time them and make them pay in the exchanges.

Midway in the 2nd round he leads with a big right and you make him pay beautifully, then let him right back into the fight to score.

You need more foot speed, hand speed and power and it will come with the right training.

You are a brave lad, and should be proud of your win.

best,
    Ron
    Thanks Mr Lipton, I'll keep your obervatiosn in mind.

I think I g tehen I'm fighting and dont realx and box like I do in the gym, but that should change as I get more fights. Me and my trainer are now working on stopping me letting guys 'take their turn' or as you say get back into the fight against me.

On standing in the corner, its jsut something I do. I like standing better I get my breathing better I think.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by GPater11093; 06-04-2010 at 01:47 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Welterweight Epitome
    Greg,

First of all, I will say, nice work, you outworked that guy well. You threw some great body punching, worked the uppercut nicely when he came inside with his head down, and threw a few beautiful counter right hooks off the ropes.

Things you need to work on, if you are lying on the ropes, more head movement, you used it on the ropes on the right at one point and he clearly missed and simply hit air, this will drain his energy a lot more than just hitting gloves or shoulders.

You definately need to use your jab more, find the range, use more angles and learn to pivot both off the ropes and when altering angles in the centre of the ring. Most of this is just footwork and I would suggest getting this down whilst shadow boxing in the ring (a lot of guys do this at the start of their workouts. bouncing around on your toes, co-ordinating footwork and movement around the ring).

A lot to work on, but the fitness and toughness is there which is more than half the work and you have some nice attributes already!

All the best.
    Thanks, good advice. Will bear it in mind.

vCash

Hi to The welterweight epitome. Good advice also.
    I also like your posting name, what is your real name, if I may ask.
    Were you a boxer too, tell me a bit about yourself.

best,
    Ron

vCash

That was also a great post you made on Marley and me, I feel the same way believe me.

Ron

vCash

Hi to The welterweight epitome. Good advice also.
    I also like your posting name, what is your real name, if I may ask.
    Were you a boxer too, tell me a bit about yourself.

best,
    Ron
    Hi Ron,

Yeh, I was a boxer about 10 years ago (started around 12 and ended once I had to work full-time around 19, so a good several years of 6 days per week training + all the roadwork). It was that or go professional which my parents didn't want and I thought the better of (considering neurological conditions are already in the genetics unfortunately, so didn't want to expose my brain to any further potential damage). Fought a bit in Mexico, Australia and the States, all amateur and trained with some of the top professionals.

Started training seriously again a couple months back and thinking about having a few professional bouts before the reflexes go (hitting 30s now and speed and reflexes are by far my main attribute).

My name is Matt and I've followed the sweet science since I ever remember, studied it, practiced it, lived and breathed it! Love everything about it (except the brain damage part, which I guess is why I am more of a defensive fighter and appreciate them more than most)! My mother went into a mental institution a few times when I was about age 12 and throughout my teens due to neurological conditions she couldn't handle and my father committed suicide when I was 21, plus have a lost a lot of other close people to cancer, which is why I said I've already had my fair share of tears. Hope this helps to provide some insight into myself and my take/interests in boxing.

Cheers
    Last edited by The Welterweight Epitome; 06-05-2010 at 02:50 AM.

vCash

Ron, I'm not restarting the Carter discussion, unless you want to. Just want to make you aware of the latest Carter video.

Rubin Carter "Hurricane"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKEv2xGlbZc

vCash

Glad to meet you Matt,
    my God what you have been through, I am so sorry to hear of the pain you had to endure.

I agree it would be wise to keep training and avoid any of the potential damage in that ring. I don't blame you one bit. You can still stay in great shape and have fun with it for sure.

My pleasure to hear from you,

best,
    Ron

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Theo Netherland
    Ron, I'm not restarting the Carter discussion, unless you want to. Just want to make you aware of the latest Carter video.

Rubin Carter "Hurricane"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKEv2xGlbZc

R. I was there that day, saw it all and was at Clinton with him many times including the day he left for court where I got Ali to show up and he was released.

vCash

Glad to meet you Matt,
    my God what you have been through, I am so sorry to hear of the pain you had to endure.
    Glad to meet you too Ron.

I've still had a more blessed life than many others far more unfortunate than me, so can't complain!

All the best.

vCash

You seem like such a nice person, it would be my pleasure to meet you one day.

I just got word my Mother passed away at 7:45PM tonight, so I have to sign off, between my dog who was like the little girl I lost and my Mom, I just have been about Ko'd for the night.

vCash

You too Ron, I'm sure it can be arranged!

Ah, sorry to hear, it has been a tough period for you (when it rains it pours hey!). Take care and best wishes for you and the family!

+ Reply to Thread