Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 70 FirstFirst ... 105051525354555657585960616263646566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 2100

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    You seem like such a nice person, it would be my pleasure to meet you one day.

I just got word my Mother passed away at 7:45PM tonight, so I have to sign off, between my dog who was like the little girl I lost and my Mom, I just have been about Ko'd for the night.

My condolences for the loss of your Mom.

vCash

Thank you to all who wrote their condolences,
    it is much appreciated,

Ron

vCash

Ron,

I'm very sorry for your loss and hope you can find peace in your memories of your mom.

Take care man...

vCash

Thank you very much all who wrote, very kind of you all.
    blessings,
    Ron

vCash

I wanted to keep this on my thread because of the outrageous refereeing aspect of what happened last night.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:41 PM #13
    HitmanHeitzie

Re: Cotto-Foreman Spoiler
    Glad to see this site is still the voice(s) of reason here.
    I can't tell what Mercante was trying to accomplish - draw attention to himself, make sure the night ended with a highlight reel KO to please the promoter, or totally ruin Foreman's knee. Maybe all of the above. Anyway, a terrible job as is often the case when he works a fight.

Ron, I was thinking of you during both fights last night knowing your opinions of both Smoger and Mercante. So sorry for your loss.

As far as Cotto, I would worry a great deal about how Yuri froze him in his tracks -especially in the fourth. If I handled a ranked fighter at 154 I would be rushing to get him into the ring with Cotto for the payday and the strap. He looks very vulnerable in there to my eyes.
    HitmanHeitzie is offline Report Bad Post Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
    HitmanHeitzie
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to HitmanHeitzie
    Find More Posts by HitmanHeitzie
    Add HitmanHeitzie to Your Buddy List
    Old 06-06-2010, 05:33 PM #14
    Ron Lipton

I agree he does terrible work. So loud, so aggressive, when it is not necessary.
    His choreographed pivots are all designed for him to do a tv show. Others have commented about how he keeps his hands cupped to his sides which I saw his father teach him, saying it makes you look more slim on camera.

The whole tough guy facade he puts out there is misplaced, lame and unnecessary which means its all camouflage. Watch the first round closely, yelling BREAK, BREAK, like he is there task master, when they weren't even locked up, yelling rudely at the corner not to coach their fighter, its over the top but the worst is this guy's comments during the bout, "HEY KID SUCK IT UP, HEY SON, etc, It is sooooo bloody ignorant, pompous and condescending.

I know him, he likes to frown to look tough, he is not tough just stupid, bullying and abusive and rude all with the Huntz Hull-Leo Gorcy delivery and this crap was going on waaaay before Arthur Sr left us.

Between the HORRORS of what rotund Steve Smoger did to innocent people in his former Margate NJ court room and telling boxers how to box during a bout, with Steve's total boxing background being, "I used to box in the YMCA," and Huntz Hall in his ignorant, stupid on camera bumbling interview I wonder what hold they have over the NYSAC and NJ to get one assignment after another.

I have rarely seen anything as unrefined on camera than Mercante Jr's attempt to sound like a New York tough guy, I was born in NYC, grew up there and listening to him speak is nails on a blackboard to me, "The cawna trew out a towel," It isn't a cawna ass hole its a CORNER.

Take a showa and remember no one came to see you referee and let another injured boxer take a beating so you can be on TV LONGA. Jerk off.

Just ask Beathaeven Scotland, Diosbelys Hurtado, Reggie Green, check out Dokes v Ruddock, Bennett v Hutchinsen and ask them for starters.

All boxers want to continue, you are supposed to protect them just like their chief second not let them die or be crippled so you can do your pivots with cupped hands to your sides posing and making believe you are boxing which many people have commented on, on the internet already.

Just another scowling wannabe tough guy who gets his kicks out of bossing strong athletes around in the ring with his limited authority granted to him by a political wretched on going course of total incompetence with political help all the way.

Just watch his actions in the first round, yet no one on the NYSAC gets nauseous from it? They do not know what they are seeing, break it down and look at it and listen to him, and his premature breaks, and watch him make believe he is boxing while refereeing, and then think of Max Kellerman interviewing him while Max was the one screaming for Beathaven Scotland to be saved from this political nightmare's incompetence.

This abomination of a referee who went out of his way to malign and steal assignments from me with his relatives and pals, tells tough fighters to "Suck it up," after he quit boxing at sub novice 112 lbs after taking a few shots and LOSING? LOL, they can give this bum 100 more title fights but he would not make a pimple on a referees ass. Films don't lie. Just another scowling frowner trying to boss strong men around in the ring.

Makes a guy fight with one leg, so he can be on tv longer, thats all it is and you all know it. The fans came to see a fight, really no shit, how astute of you Huntz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTsWK...watch_response

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKE9j...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fVHQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r1m9...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vTjLYdTv3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkpaKxO5rjA
    Ron Lipton is online now Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
    Ron Lipton
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Ron Lipton
    Find More Posts by Ron Lipton
    Add Ron Lipton to Your Buddy List
    Old 06-06-2010, 05:55 PM #15
    Ron Lipton

I would add this, I like Max and still grieve for his loss, my losses, and even Mercante Jr's loss, BUT, BUT, BUT, I have never forgotten the pain him and his pals caused me, FIRST BLOOD, first strike vicious machinations behind the scenes, in what they did to me when my family was proud and happy that I was assigned DLH v Leija, and they deliberately ruined it for me with everything they had, and like Randy Gordon wrote, one of the guys involved even tried to take assignments away from Junior himself.

It was 15 years ago and still feels like 15 minutes ago, a public protest, newspaper protests all making my family sick and angry for nothing but their own desire to take the assignment away.

Like I said he would KILL a boxer in the ring one day, I told the NYSAC that and it came true.

His Bowery Boys bullshit facade is NOT up to the mark for a title fight on HBO despite his incestuous political relationship with promoters, Commissions, and the king has no clothes legacy that he too is a good ref so predictably handed down to him in such an undeserved fashion, and proven time and again WRONG, at the death and injury of the boxers he ruins for his own tv appearances to last a bit longer.

No one has the balls to put a stop to it and clean house once and for all of this total BULLSHIT dynasty and stranglehold on refereeing even in the aftermath of a death.

Why doesn't Max, Jim Lampley, Ross Greenberg, Bob Arum, Brian Kenny, and NJ AND NYSAC look at the films of this guy including last night, and get someone in that ring with respect, in shape, boxing knowledge and can actually speak intelligently on camera, instead of letting boxers fight with broken jaws, lame legs and worse.
    Ron Lipton is online now Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
    Ron Lipton
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Ron Lipton
    Find More Posts by Ron Lipton
    Add Ron Lipton to Your Buddy List
    Old 06-06-2010, 06:07 PM #16
    gregbeyer

once foremans knee went out the fight was over. as a fan it is disappointing to see a fight end like that but so what ? jr. has completely forgotten he is not responsible to keep the show going. he is responsible for the fighters safety.

telling foreman to suck it up while he could barely move was inexcusable. i am now wondering if jr. would have gone on to ref the rest of the fight had his knee crumpled on him in the mid rounds.

i am all for dumping this moron.

greg
    gregbeyer is offline Report Bad Post Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
    gregbeyer
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to gregbeyer
    Find More Posts by gregbeyer
    Add gregbeyer to Your Buddy List
    Old 06-06-2010, 07:44 PM #17
    Ron Lipton

He is out of his mind as to what his job is. Do you ever hear him say to the boxers, "Who wants it more,?" while refereeing.

His father said in an interview in a boxing magazine that Gil Clancy was his best friend and always visiting him at his house. His father in an interview on film said he always scored the fights for the "Boxers over the punchers." Now the "Kid" wants to score the fights again and says to bring that back in his recent interview on the web.
    Clancy always said including in "Ring of Fire," who wants it more, so Junior copies that in the ring, nothing original, all copied, always but badly.

If a towel comes in and we don't know where it is from, I would ignore it too.
    But if it is from the corner like last night WTF, the guy can't walk, getting beaten and he says the show must go on,

I still can't get over his stumbling, mumbling Bowery boy interview trying to sound tough and look like some paper mache tough guy. Nauseating really plus making Yuri fight with one leg.

vCash

Ron,

You have to clean out your mail box!

vCash

Done,
    and all who want to E-mail me now can do so.

RLipt8@aol.com or at my website www.ronliptononline.com

thank you very much,

Ron

vCash

I sent you a message via facebook.

Best

Brendan

vCash

Ron - I came to read about your thoughts on the Cotto fight and read about your mother.

A big Aussie bear hug from your pal down under - My deepest sympathies mate, hope that you get some good news in the next few weeks, you've more than earned some.

Josh

vCash

My condolences to.

vCash

Sorry to hear about your mother Mr Lipton a short terrible time you have had recently, but things can only get better.

vCash

hey ron,

so sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. heres hoping her memory softens the blow some.

hang tough my friend.

greg

vCash

My condolences also Ron. Losing a family member is always difficult.

vCash

Sorry to hear about your mom. Rough month or so. hang in there

vCash

Ron,
    I am very saddend to hear of the passing of your mother and Sweetie.
    Their are no words that can say how you must feel.
    You are in our thoughts and prayers.

The Bath family

vCash

Thank you all once again for your kind words during this tough time.

vCash

right on ronnie... tough times is what made us.

much love brother,

greg

vCash

Thanks again Greg and all the rest.
    Great cyberboxingzone familly.

vCash

Hey Ron. Did you get me message in your facebook inbox?

vCash

Ron, I haven't been on here since the weekend, and I just found out about you mom. My deepest condolences. You've told me how she was suffering. Well, she's not any more. Let thoughts of the good times with her comfort you. I'll call ya' later.
    -Randy G.

vCash

Mr Lipton, I have just managed to see the Cotto vs Foreman fight. I agree with you to an extent, I thought Mercante should have stopped the fight when the towel came in, but him ignoring it was fair enough. However, he lacked the controll of the ring to pull this of as the ring was flooded. This was due to Mercante's lack of controll and perhaps the ignorance of the rules by the participants, or perhaps slyness on the part of Cotto's people. When Grier stept up to the canvas Foreman should have been disqualified but Mercante did not want to back down from his stance.

I did think giving Foreman the chance was a good thing but when the towel came in it should have ended. also I didnt like his shouting and all that whilst refereeing, he is there to referee not be a fan. I dont know too much about him as a referee as I havent noticed him much before.

Also out of interest, and I'm probably ignorant here, why dont you like the Mercante? You mentioend breifly about them not wanting you to do DLH-Leija, could you expand?

Also what is wrong with Steve Smoger, I have always thought he was a thouroughly good referee.

vCash

First as to the fight. It is objectionable to me and many others that given the knowledge that the NYSAC has of his performances resulting in injury and death and all the political garbage that got him 99% of is fights they would dare to use him again. It only helps a the first stage of a lawsuit which is pending and leading into federal court.

He was an amateur referee and carries that style into the pros yelling in the first round loudly for them to break, break, when they were not locked up.
    His posturing, posing, and the use of his hands on his legs jumping in, his choreographed boxing pivots are nauseating because I have seen them rehearsed in private with the hand cupping taught to him specifically so he would look good on camera. I am starting to get nauseous.

The yelling, barking, loud ordering of the other corner to wash off the opponent's mouthpiece would have made me get up onto the ring apron and tell him to change the tone of his voice stop ordering people around if I was a cornerman. If I was asked nicely like Jack Nicholson told Lt. Caffey, ask me nicely, it would be done.

The phony tough guy thing which he THINKS works does not believe me it does not. Combined with the bowery boy accent it is riling for those of us that know how he got into that ring to begin with.

It was his job to RECOGNIZE the inspector who was asked by the corner to please tell the ref to stop the fight. Junior did not, he likes you to know he is the star of the show like his old man used to. He ignored him. The towel did not come from the audience unless it had wings on it, it came from the corner.

Then the personalized coaching comes in, condescending and patronizing coaching, "Hey Kid, Hey boys, suck it up champ" ad infinitum.

It falls flat as piss on a plate. It is NOT HIS JOB TO ASK, "WHO WANTS IT MORE," SUCK IT UP, ETC. He is a referee not a coach. He is a very, very corny guy, very nasty, loud and stupid. It has never worked for him, why he still does it I could not care less.

The boxer had a crippled knee, Juniior wanted to be on tv longer as he believes as he said, he represents the fans, so the show must go on for his hi lite reel. He is and always has been a terrible referee who got everything handed to him politically.

As to what he and his family deliberately did to me, without any provocation from me is scurrlious and was a non ending thing behind the scenes. I always showed his father respect and spent a lot of time alone with him and it meant nothing to the father, nothing. He was charming if things went his way.

If you got an assignment the things pulled behind the scenes to take it away was relentless and knew no bounds and costly to me. Thats why.
    Also other specifics which I cannot discuss now because of a pending case.
    Bottom line, I never did anything first to them. Hurt my dog, hide your cat buddy.

Now I do not know as you say what is wrong with Steve Smoger only his victims in Margate court and one other local court with a ceiling fan can tell you that. Pedro Fernandez printed some of the most shocking and brutal things Smoger did to INNOCENT people in his court and how they suffered like dogs because of it. He was a military man and you can look up what he did, it is beyond cruelty.

He is bright, educated but never boxed. His claim that I boxed in the YMCA does not a boxing man make. Another guy I was extremely polite and courteous to.

He was relentless in calling promoters and social moves to get assignments, thats fine but he was very territorial. I grew up in NJ and NY. I attended a NJ referee seminar and as I walked in there, he viciously said to me, "Hey Lipton did you make a wrong turn onto the NJ turnpike, you should be in NY."
    That started it. I was doing well and he wanted no competition.

Then I was doing well in Conn where he was too. During a bout I refereed on TV, he is the alternate referee, he yells up to me loud enough to be heard by all, Hey when you referee stay farther away from the action, do this do that.

I collected the scorecards at the end of the round, leaned over and very quietly growled at him through my teeth, Stevie, don't you ever tell me what to do again, you never had a glove on in your life, and if you need advice ask me, not the other way around.

I later saw him in the mens room and reminded him how he broke my balls at the NJ seminar and told him for the last time, quit the homosexual panic thing about territory or words to that effect. We never spoke again until he was later kicked off the bench by the ethics committee. I saw him at a NY referee seminar and we spoke politely to each other as I always give back what I get in treatment 10 fold. If its good, you get it back better, then the reverse of that is true.

Steve has to get in better shape, he has had a very lucky career, and he is no dummy, but is now coaching guys how to fight. He was never a boxer or any kind of boxing guy,and to get big fights like he did seems unjust to me, but if I had a guy boxing I know there are worse than Steve out there and I mean him no harm or disrespect but like an elephant I never forget that first blood thing.

Mercante Senior as Randy so aptly wrote about could be very pompous.
    I was sitting in the Downtown Athletic club having dinner while working on an Ali project. It was Mercante's stomping grounds.

He saw me sitting there having dinner, and meandered over to me while wearing an ascot, he looked down his nose at me and said, "Ron my dear boy, you certainly are coming up in the world to be eating here."

I stood up with blood in my fucking eyes, and told him how I felt about his aristocratic pretensions and the political pomposity that accompanied it and all the WBC crap he did to me behind the scenes that I had on tape from my answering machine with a call I got from Mexico one day that he was their chief of officials assigning him and his kid to fights all over the world and protesting me behind the scenes, while I needed and loved refereeing.

I hope I answered you because that is the tip of the iceberg.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Gordon
    Ron, I haven't been on here since the weekend, and I just found out about you mom. My deepest condolences. You've told me how she was suffering. Well, she's not any more. Let thoughts of the good times with her comfort you. I'll call ya' later.
    -Randy G.

R. Thanks Randy, it was good talking with you today.

vCash

Ron -

In case you missed it -

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/2002/nysa...d_in_disaster/

Best,

Josh

vCash

Grandstanding is the word.

Horrible job no matter who says otherwise.

vCash

Thanks Mr Lipton, they sound unsavoury to say the least.

vCash

This was today's blog from Russ Anber on TSN.ca:

The late Arthur Mercante Sr. was a great referee; make that an all-time great referee. Sadly, this weekend was proof that son is definitely not like father.

What a crazy, injury filled weekend of boxing!

Before I get into one of the most miserable, egotistical displays of refereeing I have ever seen, I would first like to mention the absolutely unlucky performance of World Title contender Troy Ross of Brampton, Ontario. In my thirty plus years in the sport, I can't remember a crazier, or for that matter, faster, unfortunate turn of events.

I was with Ross last week in Paris, France where he and trainer Chris Amos were finishing off their final preparation for Ross' IBF World Cruiserweight Title fight against former world champion Steve Cunningham. Both Ross and Amos were confident in their chances, and many were expecting Ross to return with the World Title, myself included.

Saturday in Neubrandenburg, Germany, Ross dominated Cunningham for four rounds as well as dropping him in the fourth with a beautifully placed left hand to the chin. After regaining his feet, Cunningham threw a straight right hand in an attempt to hold off the pressure from Ross. In one of the "freakiest" occurrences I have ever seen, the thumb of Cunningham caught Ross directly on his left eye, what followed was incredible. After the punch landed, Ross, in extreme pain turned around clutching his eye. When the referee looked at the damage, he immediately summoned the doctor to have a look. What the doctor saw was the bottom eyelid ripped at the eyeball. With no other option, he immediately ordered the referee to wave the fight off. (Photo Courtsey of John Horneware)

Under the circumstances of one of the most bizarre cuts I have ever seen, Troy Ross' World Title hopes came to an abrupt end.

Let's hope, that due to the fact that the injury was caused due to a thumb in the eye, unintentional or not, that the IBF will order a rematch in order to determine who is the best cruiserweight in the world. Troy Ross deserves that chance!

While we are on the subject of bizarre injuries; how about the display of courage by Yuri Foreman in defence of his WBA Light-middleweight title against Miguel Cotto?

In a long and storied history, boxing returned to Yankee Stadium as Miguel Cotto was in pursuit of another world title. WBA Light-Middleweight Champion Yuri Foreman, studying to be a rabbi, was in the first defence of the title he had won from Daniel Santos. With an electric atmosphere both fighters showed their talent under the lights at the great ball park.

While the fight was certainly competitive early, it was evident that the fire-power and pressure from Miguel Cotto was beginning to show. Never backing down however, Foreman tried everything to hold on to his title. What he didn't expect was that his right knee would give way for no apparent reason, not once but twice.

With Foreman hobbling badly, in obvious pain, and with Cotto knowing his prey was seriously handicapped, Foreman's trainer Joe Grier climbed the ring steps and threw the towel into the ring in protection of his fighter. While this was certainly not the ending the Yankee Stadium faithful were looking for, there really wasn't any alternative.

Foreman knee was badly injured, he was unable to move, in excruciating pain he battled on with great courage trying all he could to hold off the ever charging Cotto.

It should have been over then and there. Incredibly, and to the amazement of everyone watching, referee Arthur Mercante Jr. would have no part of it. Refusing to accept the surrender from Foreman's corner, and with the ring beginning to fill with members from both camps, Mercante began ordering everyone out of the ring. In his eyes the fight was not over.

"The towel came in the heat of the battle," Mercante said. "They had a good exchange going. I felt it wasn't necessary to stop it. I didn't know where it came from. There was no need to stop the fight. They were in the middle of a great fight. That's what the fans came to see. I felt I did the right thing to let it continue.

"I called time, they had an extra minute to rest. It gave them both time to rest. I went over to Yuri and told him to suck it up. He showed the true heart of champion."

There you have it, regardless of the courage showed by Foreman, despite the pain of his badly injured knee and with complete disregard for the protection offered by the Foreman corner, Arthur Mercante Jr., seemingly oblivious to the knee injury suffered by Foreman and believing that "there was no need to stop the fight" , told Foreman to "suck it up" and be subjected to even more punishment.

"Suck it up"!!! What was Mercante thinking? Was it not obvious enough how hurt Foreman was? Was he waiting for Cotto to completely annihilate Foreman perhaps with a career ending knockout? What purpose was served by allowing Foreman to be subjected to another half round of punishment against a debilitating puncher like Cotto?

Let's take a quick look at some of the Mercante fights of the past. These can easily be found on YouTube. Mercante was the third man in the ring when Pernell Whitaker was allowed to pound Diosbelys Hurtado mercilessly as Hurtado was virtually unconscious and laying on the ropes. Mercante was also the referee when Charles Murray pounded Reggie Green, and more seriously, Mercante refereed the fight in which Beethaeven Scotland was killed after absorbing far too much punishment under the watchful eye of Mercante.

I would like to be clear about one thing, I have always held firm on the notion that regardless of the actions of a referee, the corner is empowered to stop the fight at any time. Unlike most, I rarely criticize a referee for NOT stopping a fight. I have always firmly believed that it is unfair to blame a referee for something that a corner can and should do.

In this case however, the corner, as they are supposed to do, came to the rescue of their young fighter. They accepted their role and carried out their responsibilities admirably. Arthur Mercante robbed them of that responsibility and took matters into to his own hands. By doing so he exposed a young, courageous fighter like Yuri Foreman to grave danger.

Usually a fighter needs the protection OF the referee from the onslaught of an opponent. On Saturday night, Yuri Foreman needed protection FROM a referee who was more interested in his own position of authority than in the safety and welfare of an injured fighter.

vCash

Nice read TKO. As a Canadian, I like Russ. I disagree with a lot of what he has to say, but I value his opinion and knowledge. He's dead on here. Mercante has to go.

vCash

hey ron,

go back to the cotto-foreman spoiler thread. there is a youtube video posted by kid dynamite that you need to comment on.

greg

vCash

I have never seen anything like this since Lawrence Cole told the boxer to continue as he was ahead on the score cards. Their Daddy's get them everything in boxing, and now its the Mercante Junior show.

He said he wants to score the fights too, how can he be a judge when he cannot referee at all?

That video made me sick.

+ Reply to Thread