The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1252535455565758596061626364656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 2100

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    Old Archie saw it all for sure. My interview in person with him for hours covered it all, it was something.

Ron
    Would love to read a transcription of your Q&A if its not in your book in full Ron!

josh

vCash

In the days of the Mongoose you can best believe that great warrior saw it all, he says so, build a house on it.
    Maybe this is the good moment to ask. What does the word Mongoose mean? I’ve tried to find out myself but never found a convincing explanation. Does it mean ‘person of the Mongolian race’ so to say? That would go with Archies looks.

Regards Theo

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by doomeddisciple
    Would love to read a transcription of your Q&A if its not in your book in full Ron!

josh

R. I will try to put much of it in there Josh,
    I spoke to Archie about a lot of the old timers who only the great boxing fans would know and what he thought about them like the Hatchet Man.

thanks and best always,

Ron

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Theo Netherland
    Maybe this is the good moment to ask. What does the word Mongoose mean? I’ve tried to find out myself but never found a convincing explanation. Does it mean ‘person of the Mongolian race’ so to say? That would go with Archies looks.

Regards Theo
    R. Theo, a Mongoose is an amazing animal indigenous to India and are adept at killing King Cobras and other fast striking snakes. It is almost Ferret like in appearance with razor sharp teeth and has amazing fighting skills which have to be seen to be believed.

When the Cobra strikes, the Mongoose which has baited the big reptile into striking, deftly avoids the strike and like a bolt of lightning grabs the snake behind the neck and kills it and will then eat it.

Archie Moore a worldly and intelligent man admired the defensive and killing abilities of this animal and adopted the moniker.

vCash

Mongoose? Well, I'm assuming that I'm not walking into something, but I don't see any irony in Mr. Netherland's post . . .

A mongoose is, of course, the famous snake-killing small carnivore, noted for its speed and ferocity. In particular, the mongoose is something of a counterpuncher: it will allow the snake to strike at it, evade the strike, and then strike back.

I think that's a pretty good nickname for Moore.

vCash

Heck, Ron beat me to it . . .

vCash

R. Theo, a Mongoose is an amazing animal indigenous to India and are adept at killing King Cobras and other fast striking snakes.
    I get it. I really always thought it had something to do with his, in my eyes, Mongolian looks. And the Mongoose I've also found but never linked it to Moore. So learned something! Thanx for your answer Ron.

This is what you mean:

Mongoose Attacking an Asian Cobra
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEy0MczVGg0
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 07-21-2010 at 01:44 AM.

vCash

Ron,
    Did Archie have anything to say about Jack Kearns?
    I have read everything I can get my hands on about Kearns. He was a very intreging man.
    I got interested in him because he was my uncle's manager.

Randy

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Off The River
    I had a great physio therapist, she was actually a therapist for the US women's soccer team and has a signed picture of her and Mia Hamm. I credit her for much of my healing.

One thing she told me was no NEVER; for the rest of my life do a behind the head pulldown or shoulder press. NEVER AGAIN she said.
    For those that were following this thread, let me add another reason for not doing shoulder press.

Last week I was doing barbell military press (with a powerlifting belt) and must have hper-extended my lower back which resulted in Sciatica, a condition caused by the sciatic nerves in the body becoming inflamed. The sciatic nerves begin from your lower spine and continue down the buttock area, back of the leg, and into the foot. My entire left leg now has non-stop shooting pain and I am in severe discomfort when I stand, sit and even lie down. There's no escaping it. I have made only marginal progress so far and have no idea how long this is going to last. Needless to say I can't train.

For anyone who has never experienced this let me say that it is the single most painful thing I've ever felt.

vCash

10-8

Take it from me a guy who thinks working out is too dangerous. It is best to stick to lifting Bud Lights. LoL.

Kiidding aside ---Hope you are feeling better.

KI

vCash

Military presses are and have always been dangerous in that straight up and down plane of motion. If done pressing away from the upper chest it seems that is gives the delts and pecs a pump without the strain and stress of the straight up and down press.

So damn sorry to hear of your injury my strong brother, I wish I could go back to Nov 25, 2005 and stop doing the excessive sets I did of lateral raises with my bow flex cables to avoid a torn rotator cuff which hurts me each day non stop to this moment.

vCash

Military presses are and have always been dangerous in that straight up and down plane of motion. If done pressing away from the upper chest it seems that is gives the delts and pecs a pump without the strain and stress of the straight up and down press.

So damn sorry to hear of your injury my strong brother, I wish I could go back to Nov 25, 2005 and stop doing the excessive sets I did of lateral raises with my bow flex cables to avoid a torn rotator cuff which hurts me each day non stop to this moment.
    Thanks Ron.

Its SO ironic that we were having this conversation about military presses and how it pertains to shoulder injuries and then I go and blow out my sciatic nerve doing the very same exercise...but rest assured my shoulder joints were warmed up and pain free!

To compound things, my wife had already booked a weekend getaway for us in New York City, so I spent Saturday and Sunday limping around the city hopped up on painkillers. Add in the fact that I was dumb enough to wear sandals that offer no support so I set my recovery time back a few days for sure. If it weren't for getting laid each night, the whole weekend would have been ruined.

When it comes to delt training it will be strict lateral raises (as well as front & rear) and upright rows from here on in, and this time I mean it.

Bill

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8
    For anyone who has never experienced this let me say that it is the single most painful thing I've ever felt.
    Hi 10-8, I have something similar at this moment. But it’s getting better. Three weeks ago all of a sudden my back locked up. From then on I couldn’t sit, walk, and even laying hurt. If I did lay on the cough and wanted to get up I first had to lay myself on the floor and then pull myself up by grabbing something. At that moment your 100% handicapped. I can’t work now and the organisation that pays me while I’m sick forces me now to go to the doctor since the healing takes longer then expected. I’m happy about that because I’ve had this a few times before in the last years and there might be more going on. Normally I’m too lazy to see a doctor since most things disappear without him anyway.

To avoid situations like this I’d quit death lifting. It pisses me off, this was my favourite exercise. It’s the king of the exercises! Just like with the squat it separates the man from the boys. So many times you see someone trying it and after a few weeks giving it up because of a pain here or there. Or they need a towel between the bar and the back when they’re squatting. Well I’m a boy now also. Have to learn to live with that.

I didn’t know that Military presses have that risk of back injury but I prefer dumbbell presses anyway. Has this the same risk I wonder? Dumbbell presses are great because it trains your three triceps muscles and the complete shoulder. It would piss me off really if I have to give that up.

10-8 I hope you get better soon. My experience is it takes a few weeks and everyday you’re a little bid better then the day before. And don’t forget, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger!

Theo
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 08-04-2010 at 12:19 PM.

vCash

I wish I could go back to Nov 25, 2005 and stop doing the excessive sets I did of lateral raises with my bow flex cables to avoid a torn rotator cuff which hurts me each day non stop to this moment.
    Hi Ron, above I wrote I’ve got something similar as 10-8. I wonder where it comes from. Could it be this? Three weeks before I got it, I did a sort of shock training. I’d 16 sets of ten reps of the lat pully with small grip. Did in 35 minutes with not too heavy weight. The days after my back, and arms, looked like they’ve been growing inches. Of course it only looks that way. But anyway it felt good. But now I wonder if my problem could be a delayed negative response form that shock training. Do you have an idea?

Theo
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 08-04-2010 at 06:08 AM.

vCash

Hi Theo,

The use of weight that falls into a higher category than "Light" weight such as moderate weight while using a very high number of sets such as you did will certainly bring a pump, endurance, and strength with fast and slow twitch muscle fiber being used as you really have to put out.

That kind of pump is different than using just light weight for as many sets and reps. It is different than having warmed up and then gone for low reps and heavy weight.

All of that is good and gives the muscle being trained a polished look with a combo of strength, cuts and endurance. However, there is a danger is over working the connective tissue, ligaments, tendons, the weakest link in the chain as we get older.

Be vigilant and listen to your body and its weak points, know the warning signs of pain and injury as opposed to soreness.

Training longevity comes from taking things down a peg or two in all ways as we get older, with more stretching, and the avoidance of certain exercises.
    In my opinion that is.

best,
    Ron

vCash

Be vigilant and listen to your body and its weak points, know the warning signs of pain and injury as opposed to soreness.

Training longevity comes from taking things down a peg or two in all ways as we get older, with more stretching, and the avoidance of certain exercises.
    Amen. All good pointers and my lesson learned.

I don't know if this had anything to do with my injury but I decided to wear a powerlifting belt for the first time in years doing the military presses. Normally I don't wear a belt for any movements including deadlifts and squats as I believe it strengthens the core to train without one. I'm now thinking the belt may have thrown me out of my usual groove and thrown my back into an unfamiliar position. Who knows.

The most frustrating thing about a back injury is that it feels best to be lying down but trying to get back up is when it feels the worst and most unbearable.

vCash

Thanx for your answer Ron. I didn’t realise that the fast and slow twitch both are being used this way. I will give it a thought and try to experiment this way some more. In a save way I hope.
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 08-05-2010 at 01:58 PM.

vCash

You are most welcome Theo.

For short explosive bursts of power or long enduring sets, once fatigue sets in and that lactic acid buildup happens, we explode and push through that set to finish it and sometimes too many sets, too many reps at a certain age will tear those tendons and ligaments.

In any given set we can use both types of muscle depending on how difficult the set becomes and how we attack it with angles, concentration and speed of movement.

vCash

Thanks for your answer. I’ve been to the doctor by the way and he said I should train my abs. Well he put the nail on the head. That's something I've always neglected. A misbalance could have been occurred. I'll listen to that advise.
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 08-06-2010 at 06:47 PM.

vCash

Ron, what do you think of Wing Chung, a Chinese art of fist fighting? I don’t know much about but it but it always fascinated me. On Youtube there are many Wing Chung videos and I love them. But what is it worth in comparison to ‘normal’ boxing? What is your idea? I believe by the way it’s the only fighting style developed by a woman.
    I’ve enjoyed this documentary very much. But does it really represent the reality?
    Wing Chun in F.Q part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89fOMZyoIYc
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 08-06-2010 at 07:30 PM.

vCash

It is effective, has merit, and has some elements of what I teach and practice, but not all. Impressive for what it is. thanks for showing it to me, I definitely like it.

vCash

Ron, do you believe Arthur Jones's one set training to total failure philosophy?

vCash

Some exercise is better most times than none at all. One set training to total failure is not my cup of tea as a panacea for what I need. Whatever works for one athlete may not work for another.

Years ago Mike Mentzer forgive me if I spelled his name wrong, used to do 5 reps with heavy weight per exercise and he looked good. He was strong, thick and endured. For others it was not good.

Doing a set to failure can rip a tendon, rotator cuff, ligament and muscle if not done properly. It is good to push yourself when you are younger. As you get older that philosophy has its limits within prudent judgment.

My mind is always open, yet I know what is best for me and for guys I train who I come to know.

I teach punching power, animal hand speed, how to win fights, and be as muscular and functional as you can be for boxing and MMA. I love melding my lifetime of bodybuilding knowledge with boxing, striking and Judo.

R

vCash

bump

vCash

http://www.phillyboxinghistory.com/f...ue_mold_01.htm

hi ron,

found this interesting. thought you might like it too.

greg

vCash

Joey G,

definitely deserved it.

I had many rare one of a kind moments with him through the years.

The toughest of them all.

Ron

vCash

The show with Randy went great on Sirius radio, "Friday Night at the Fights,"
    Ade did great and it was fun talking with Randy and Gerry Cooney. I was happy when Randy asked Chuck Wepner if he knew of me and he told the audience I was a great guy, which I always think of Chuck.

The Frankie Depaula book was fun to talk about and Ade did an outstanding job.

vCash

Loved your descriptions and insight on the sparring between Carter and DePaula.

vCash

Thank you,

I am glad you were listening and I hope all is well.

Ron

vCash

Thank you,

I am glad you were listening and I hope all is well.

Ron
    I did not hear the show, but I have read Makinde's book.

All is well with me. How are you doing?

I have been watching alot of Emile Griffith fights and have made a thread in this section, be interesting to hear your thoughts on them.

+ Reply to Thread