Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1555565758596061626364656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 2100

Thread: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

vCash

Re: Ron Lipton: Q & A Thread

Ron, four months ago I’d start, inspired by you, doing chin-ups and pull-ups. I do them apart and do them once in the two weeks. So all in all once a week. For this moment this is all my backtraining although I sometimes add a few sets row exercises to it. And I’d quit biceptraining. These pull-exercises are more then enough. By now I’m doing 45 reps and that takes me ten sets to do it. My first goal is 50 reps in five sets. That may take a few years.

But I can say it works! Indeed my biceps have gotten bigger and have a different tone. Also the back has become clearly better shaped. And also the forearms! So this gives a good argument to also start doing push-ups and dips if they promise the same effect. But how often? I do a chestprogram, mostly bench presses, once a week, and I don’t feel the need to do push-ups the days before or after such training. So how do they fit in the best? And then there are the dips. It’s an exercise that I’ve never practiced. In strength sports the opinion about this exercise differs because of the injury risk. What to do?

Ron, you haven’t answered the question why people like Charles Linster, and yourself, do push-ups everyday? Or let me ask it this way, why is seven days a week better then six?

And from me to good luck with your kidney stones. Can't they be pulverized by ultra-sounds?

Theo
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 01-29-2011 at 02:28 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Theo Netherland
    Ron, four months ago Iíd start, inspired by you, doing chin-ups and pull-ups. I do them apart and do them once in the two weeks. So all in all once a week. For this moment this is all my backtraining although I sometimes add a few sets row exercises to it. And Iíd quit biceptraining. These pull-exercises are more then enough. By now Iím doing 45 reps and that takes me ten sets to do it. My first goal is 50 reps in five sets. That may take a few years.

R. Most admirable and it all works. Each rep in money in the back. Go at your own pace and you will always be better off than if you did not do them at all.

But I can say it works! Indeed my biceps have gotten bigger and have a different tone. Also the back has become clearly better shaped. And also the forearms! So this gives a good argument to also start doing push-ups and dips if they promise the same effect. But how often?

R. Once you are in shape get to the point your throw a couple of sets in a day that is all and it will keep you young and strong. It keeps one active and that keeps you alive and fit. On a stricter basis of training where you are hitting it harder and need to recuperate, 3 times a week is good too.

I do a chestprogram, mostly bench presses, once a week, and I donít feel the need to do push-ups the days before or after such training. So how do they fit in the best?

R. Why not do a set of knuckle push ups 15- 25 reps to warm up, then do a set of 15- 25 knuckle push ups on the carpet with you feet elevated as your second set. Then do your benches starting out also with a warm up set. That way no injuries and you are thoroughly warmed up. Sound good?

And then there are the dips. Itís an exercise that Iíve never practiced. In strength sports the opinion about this exercise differs because of the injury risk. What to do?

R. Before I had a torn rotator cuff I did them all the time but would warm up my elbows by doing light supinated bicep curls to oil up those joints. Then I would warm up my triceps and pec-delt tie ins with some light high cable flies.
    Then into my dips I would go until I was able to do 101 in one set as my max.
    Then I would rest and do it again for punching endurance. Man did I have some William Smith triceps from it.

Ron, you havenít answered the question why people like Charles Linster, and yourself, do push-ups everyday? Or let me ask it this way, why is seven days a week better then six?

R. Just habit and personal taste account for that, and if something works for you and you feel good with it depending on what you need the functional muscle for, then you do it. No set amount of time can be designated for person. One must find what works best for them as to the goal they have set for themselves. Feeling flexible, healthy and hard along with my cat reflexes feels good for me.

All agendas adjusted month by month for me or day by day via instinctive training. I have a painful kidney stone I have not passed yet but I still do my vicious ab routine among other things.

Maniacs die hard.

And from me to good luck with your kidney stones. Can't they be pulverized by ultra-sounds?

Theo

R. Thanks Theo, my 3mm-4mm stone cannot be pulverized as it has moved down from the kidney into the ureter, crippling me in agony as it goes and turns. To be broken up it has to be in the kidney area or one risks ureter damage.

Holistically speaking I have tried, lime juice with alfalfa tablets, raw apple cider vinegar 2 oz with 2 0z of water, EVOO with water, lemon juice and Chanco Piedra (Stone breaker drops), with Flomax, and NOTHING gets this stone out yet. 4 more weeks and they take it out and I am not looking forward to that.

I just keep punching, training and teaching, what the hell else can I do.
    Would not wish it on my worst enemy. Really.

vCash

Thanx for your answer Ron. I’ve already started doing push ups. Using my fists. So through the years done I’ve that sometimes few months so I’m accustomed to that. I do it on a hard underground so, for the moment, only a few reps is possible. But you get used to that really quickly. Also I’ve bought push-up handles so I can switch a little bid.

And a while ago I’ve bought a boxing bag, who’s little lighter then a heavy bag. But still haven’t trained much on it. Still thinking how to fit it in with the rest. Maybe I’ll add some of the savate-kicks in like shown here below. I’m 49 and still flexible, but also I’m losing it a little bid. Do you have maybe an advise for people like me that train this bag thing at home? I believe I understand the basics of these sports, but if you don’t have a trainer you cannot always correct yourself and mistakes sure will drop in. So I must avoid the most common mistakes that can occur, if there are.

Regards Theo

SAVATE - Basic Techniques
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFLrgdncDcY&playnext=1

vCash

Hitting the heavy bag at home, warm up thoroughly, especially your elbows, hands, wrists, shoulders and hit the bag as if you were boxing an opponent

Practice all your shots professionally while keeping your other hand up protecting the other side of your face. All punches should be with crisp speed, snap and power and bring each shot right back to the proper launching point.

Don't drop your hands. You can do speed drills, power drills, combination punching, one shot power drills anything you want. 30 seconds, 1 minute, 3 minutes, 4 minutes whatever you want. Just have fun with it and take it slow at first.

vCash

All good Savate techniques,
    I studied it in Jerome Mackay's Judo for Boys in Manahttan back in the 60's,
    they taught it along with Judo and Karate.

It is effective but I like power punching the best combined with strong Judo, submission techniques and choking. Kicks are good if you are very fast with them, one mistake and your leg is caught or down you go in a fast street fight.

vCash

Theo. I know a bit about kicking.

Alot of those savate kicks are cool to look at, but in my opinion not so practical. I would recommend doing a basic front kick and a roundhouse kick as practical self defense kicks. Also Knees are devastating and land with more power than anyother blow.

A low roundhouse kick tothe leg is a great weapon and a frontkick to the midsection is hard to defend against, fast and is great at keeping/ creating distance.

Ron is right in saying that they can be dangerous, by being caught, or simply countered by a good straight punch. A spinning backkick is very difficult to master, but it is very hard to counter when thrown with speed and accuracy --because you just can't walk through them like other kicks. It lands with devastaing force that it will make an opponent think twice when closing the distance.

Remember this is not soccer and don't kick wide, lift your knees in front of you and snap those hips. Muai Thai style for close range and power; Karate , or taekwondo style for speed.

Remember when kicking, it's all in the hips, bring your kneees up first and then fire the foot out afterwards. A good kick will begin with the back foot facing forward, and end almost 180 degrees in the other direction..

I combine my TKD kicks with Ron Lipton punching technique when I hit the bag. Lot's of fun.

Here's a good video of some good, fast TKD kicks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzk0c0s8zcg
    Last edited by Off The River; 01-31-2011 at 02:45 AM.

vCash

Hi Off the River and Ron. Thanks for your advise and comment.

But don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to become a kickboxer, nor a ‘normal’ boxer. The weighttraining in the gym, three to four times a week about an hour each time, will be the major part to me. But there is room for something more. These kicks are good to keep your body flexible. In my early teens I did a whole lot of boxing and the so called Kung Fu training, inspired by the TV-series, at home. So I learned myself many of these kicks. Off course not in a proper technical way. Didn't know a thing about balans. But it made me very quick and supple and much of that has remained. I still can kick a doorpost, or touch the floor with my fists without bending the knees. And want to keep it that way. If gives you an advantage over others. These days I benchpress five reps of 220 lbs, that’s not much. But it makes me much stronger then the average person, whatever age he has. And that feels good!

Quote Originally Posted by Off The River
    Alot of those savate kicks are cool to look at, but in my opinion not so practical. I would recommend doing a basic front kick and a roundhouse kick as practical self defense kicks. Also Knees are devastating and land with more power than anyother blow.
    I think I’ll stick a bid to the easier kicks. Don’t think it’s a good idea to try and learn these roundhouse kicks. Like Ron said you must do it very quick or not at all. I’m 49 so by the time I’ve mastered that kick I’ll be in some geriatric institution. A little bid front and side kicks is what I want. And maybe a back kick to.

Quote Originally Posted by Off The River
    Remember when kicking, it's all in the hips, bring your knees up first and then fire the foot out afterwards. A good kick will begin with the back foot facing forward, and end almost 180 degrees in the other direction..

Here's a good video of some good, fast TKD kicks:
    Good video! I’ll take what I can use! Somehow the savate kicks look easier then the teakwondo kicks. That reminds me of what a fitness instructor who's also has the second Dan in taekwondo told me. He said that there are many people who are unable learn many of these taekwondo kicks. One reason is that Asians have a different bone structure then Europeans, they are more flexible in the hips. Could it be that that's the reason why savate, at least in my eyes, looks easier then taekwondo? Or maybe even is easier?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    Hitting the heavy bag at home, warm up thoroughly, especially your elbows, hands, wrists, shoulders and hit the bag as if you were boxing an opponent
    The bag I’ve bought weights about 50 lbs and is a little smaller then four foot. I dont know how you call that but's not a heavy bag or is it? But good advise! It's easy to treat the exercise as a warming up.

Regards Theo
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 01-31-2011 at 08:36 PM.

vCash

My pleasure Theo

He said that there are many people who are unable learn many of these taekwondo kicks. One reason is that Asians have a different bone structure then Europeans, they are more flexible in the hips. Could it be that that's the reason why savate, at least in my eyes, looks easier then taekwondo? Or maybe even is easier?
    I don't know. I;m 40 and I have a third degree in Taekwondo. I think it's all about conditioning really. The front kick is the easiest and great for defense. It's really quick. And not many people will withstand a good kick to the balls. If they do then you better run!

The roundhouse kick is a bit more difficult, but again, it has speed and powerbehind it when done right. If you start slow, then I don't see why you can't master both of them. You sound fit and strong for your age. Remember to work on your splits ande do slow kicking while holding your leg in the kicking position and you should be able to get it.

vCash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lcI-12VOOk

Mr Lipton,

This was my last fight, from a week ago. I became the Scottish Northern District Champion with it. I'm in the blue.

Could you give me any feedback?

vCash

good going greg. i liked the body in hooks in the 2nd round. good defense. seemed to have gotten a little winded in the second half of the third. maybe ron can give you a few tips on that. congratulations.

greg

vCash

Thanks Mr Beyer.

I just took it easy in the third, not sure why. Thougt I had it in the bag. I have the National Scottish Championships th eend of this month so I am training hard fo rit.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GPater11093
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lcI-12VOOk

Mr Lipton,

This was my last fight, from a week ago. I became the Scottish Northern District Champion with it. I'm in the blue.

Could you give me any feedback?

R. Hi Greg, good to hear from you. Congratulations on becoming the Scottish Northern District Champion. What was your weight for this bout? I watched the film and had a few thoughts.

1. The referee was driving me crazy just watching him put himself into the bout by being so damn overly officious, ruining the rhythm of the boxing match with all his RIDICULOUS amateur bullshit interference, lectures etc.
    Absolutely maddening to watch which is why people got to hate Olympic boxing after awhile and drifted away from watching it.

2. I would sit down between rounds to rest and be administered to but that is up to you, rather than have my corner man demonstrate how he would box my opponent where everyone can see what he is showing you.

3. I would start keeping my left hand up much higher or someone good and fast is going to tag you as time goes on. You have a good left and you work it to the body well, please watch some of Bob Foster's fights on You Tube against Allen Thomas (I saw that one live), Mike Quarry, Dick Tiger, Vicente Rondon and others like Doug Jones where he got stopped.

If you want to keep that left low and strike out with it, then you have to use those shoulders to block countering shots like Monzon, Foster, B-Hop, Hearns and others. Don't keep your hands low in close exchanges.

Work on putting combos together with both hands with speed and power and don't neglect your physical fitness training to get some more usable and functional muscle as you grow older.

You did well as always. Try to box with more speed and mobility and don't walk after them, but stay in your boxing rhythm in and out coming in behind a real snappy jab and uppercut these shorter fighters in combination.

Tell that Referee to try his white outfit on selling Good Humor ice cream and to LET THE FIGHTERS FIGHT, no one came to see him referee.

I understand all the ridiculous amateur crap they put everyone through but enough is enough, it ruins the fight.

Lets see a video with you talking to us from Scotland, lets hear your voice and ask specific questions.

DON'T TAKE TOO MANY PUNCHES IN THIS LIFE, NOT GOOD FOR YOU. Have fun with this amateur boxing but just as a fun sport for awhile.

How is school, what are you studying, what kind of work do you plan to go into, I want to hear more about that.

blessings,
    Ron

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    R. Hi Greg, good to hear from you. Congratulations on becoming the Scottish Northern District Champion. What was your weight for this bout? I watched the film and had a few thoughts.
    Thanks Mr Lipton, I fought at 69KGs here (welterweight) but I normally box at 64KGs (Light-Welter) but I used scales that made so seem lighter than I was, so I messed up my weight by just under a pound. I won't make that mistake again, so I was giving up 5KGs, in there.

1. The referee was driving me crazy just watching him put himself into the bout by being so damn overly officious, ruining the rhythm of the boxing match with all his RIDICULOUS amateur bullshit interference, lectures etc.
    Absolutely maddening to watch which is why people got to hate Olympic boxing after awhile and drifted away from watching it.
    Just the amateur way of doing stuff, I hate it as well but you just have to put up with it when your fighting.

2. I would sit down between rounds to rest and be administered to but that is up to you, rather than have my corner man demonstrate how he would box my opponent where everyone can see what he is showing you.
    I like standing, I feel I catch my breath better standing.

3. I would start keeping my left hand up much higher or someone good and fast is going to tag you as time goes on. You have a good left and you work it to the body well, please watch some of Bob Foster's fights on You Tube against Allen Thomas (I saw that one live), Mike Quarry, Dick Tiger, Vicente Rondon and others like Doug Jones where he got stopped.
    Good advice. I was keeping my left lower than usual in that fight as my opponent looked to throw the overhand right when he seen the opening, so I gave him it to set up my own counter-punches. I agree though I'll need to keep it up against different opposition. I've actually just watched a bunch of Foster DVDs, what do you recommend I look for in them?

If you want to keep that left low and strike out with it, then you have to use those shoulders to block countering shots like Monzon, Foster, B-Hop, Hearns and others. Don't keep your hands low in close exchanges.

Work on putting combos together with both hands with speed and power and don't neglect your physical fitness training to get some more usable and functional muscle as you grow older.
    Yes, I will train harder. I have upped my conditioning training for the Scottish Championships I have at the end of this month.

You did well as always. Try to box with more speed and mobility and don't walk after them, but stay in your boxing rhythm in and out coming in behind a real snappy jab and uppercut these shorter fighters in combination.
    Thanks for this advice, I will try it out in sparring and shadow boxing.

Tell that Referee to try his white outfit on selling Good Humor ice cream and to LET THE FIGHTERS FIGHT, no one came to see him referee.

I understand all the ridiculous amateur crap they put everyone through but enough is enough, it ruins the fight.
    Agreed.

Lets see a video with you talking to us from Scotland, lets hear your voice and ask specific questions.
    What? Ask questions about what?

DON'T TAKE TOO MANY PUNCHES IN THIS LIFE, NOT GOOD FOR YOU. Have fun with this amateur boxing but just as a fun sport for awhile.
    Yeh, believe it or not I don't really like getting hit in the head.

How is school, what are you studying, what kind of work do you plan to go into, I want to hear more about that.
    I have left school, I'm a first year apprentice mechanical engineer.

Thanks for all the advice Mr Lipton.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GPater11093
    I became the Scottish Northern District Champion.
    My congratulations to!

vCash

Hi Greg,

What I meant is that I never heard you speak, so perhaps film a video to post here with you asking me specific questions, maybe combined with you hitting the bag in the gym and shadow boxing, that way I can hear your voice for once, feel your spirit, and be able to help you more.

I am still working on an instructional video which will up punching power tremendously. In the meantime let me see a video of you hitting the bag with your best right hands, short hooks, long hooks, jabs and combinations.

With Foster look for this: He is tall and lanky like you. Watch how he deals with shorter fighters, good punchers like Allen Thomas, boxers and movers like Mike Quarry, and the way he gets rid of Vicente Rondon.

Watch how he times them and snaps that jab out, rips the hook between their gloves and nails them with it with a nice kick on the end of the shot when they don't bring their right hand back up high after they shoot it.
    Then watch the snap, torque, speed and power he puts behind the right hand and the different angles he throws from.

Thats just for starters.

Standing up is ok if it works for you, I understand. It worked for George Foreman too.

As to the ref, I understand, but your corner men can politely complain to the Commission about each refs differences IF it is interfering with the fight.

It becomes a ridiculous pain in the ass when the ref is ruining the bout every other 15 seconds.

Best to Gary Jacobs and Ken Buchannan from me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    Hi Greg,

What I meant is that I never heard you speak, so perhaps film a video to post here with you asking me specific questions, maybe combined with you hitting the bag in the gym and shadow boxing, that way I can hear your voice for once, feel your spirit, and be able to help you more.

I am still working on an instructional video which will up punching power tremendously. In the meantime let me see a video of you hitting the bag with your best right hands, short hooks, long hooks, jabs and combinations.

With Foster look for this: He is tall and lanky like you. Watch how he deals with shorter fighters, good punchers like Allen Thomas, boxers and movers like Mike Quarry, and the way he gets rid of Vicente Rondon.

Watch how he times them and snaps that jab out, rips the hook between their gloves and nails them with it with a nice kick on the end of the shot when they don't bring their right hand back up high after they shoot it.
    Then watch the snap, torque, speed and power he puts behind the right hand and the different angles he throws from.

Thats just for starters.

Standing up is ok if it works for you, I understand. It worked for George Foreman too.

As to the ref, I understand, but your corner men can politely complain to the Commission about each refs differences IF it is interfering with the fight.

It becomes a ridiculous pain in the ass when the ref is ruining the bout every other 15 seconds.

Best to Gary Jacobs and Ken Buchannan from me.
    I'll try that Mr Lipton, I'm really busy at the moment so after the Scottish champs I might do a video.

I'll watch some Foster more closely then.

vCash

Sir, I understand that someone has offer Mike Tyson 35 million to fight Holyfield for the 3rd time. I hear that Tyson has turned it down. Is there any truth to that? Why would a guy in debt turn down 35 Million?

vCash

Who the hell would pay 35 million for that fight?

Randy

vCash

I don't know when this offer was made.

vCash

vCash

Hello Ron, in your opinion are kettelbells the miracle equipment a former Russian trainer makes them out to be? We have some in the gym I workout in and in all honesty, they are not that different from dumbbells. I fail to see how they are "the secret weapon of Russian supermen". Am I missing something here? As always, your expertise is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

vCash

Hi Dino,

I think Ron is really busy getting ready for his big seminar this weekend. I's like to add my "non expert opinion" regarding kettlebells.

Personally I believe they are surperior to dumbells in many ways. Dumbells target specific muscle-groups and are good for isolating those groups. If you want to look good, then dumbells are a great way to get excercise. However they have their limits.

Kettlebells are much more versatile, they target the core much better than dumbells; are better at developing leg strength and grip strength; involve more cardio; develop more speed and power and give a better full body workout. Also, from my experience, they are safer because the weight is lower and they involve involve higher repititions.

Kettlebells will drain your energy and strength and are one of the best workouts I've done. Plus they can be used in your own home. Start off slow, and with a basic routine, then move up to a more challenging routine before you move up in weight.

If you are in decent shape already, I'd recommend the 16kg kettlebell for a start. There are plenty of youtube videos out there. Do some research and enjoy.

Best of luck,
    Brendan
    Last edited by Off The River; 02-24-2011 at 11:14 PM.

vCash

Brendan, thank you for your answer. It is very expert. I just read that my hero Jack Demspey used kettlebells when he trained in Colorado. Good enough for Jack, good enough for Dino. Again, thanks for sharing your expertise. I will give them a try.

vCash

You won't regret it Dino!

vCash

Ron, I do have a problem! Since the beginning of January I’d totally quit drinking beer. I drink red wine instead, but not that much. I have two reasons for that. The most important one is that I knew that I’d drink too often too much. One day, not too far away, I would get a illness because of that. The other reason is that I’d start to develop fat on my belly.

By now I’ve lost close to 15 lbs. For me that’s a little unnatural because I was always busy gaining weight. And now the problem. I‘d expect, since I’m lighter, I would do more chin ups and pull ups. Well the opposite is true. My highest is ten reps two months ago, but now eight reps is my maximum. Also my bench-press isn’t what it used to be. The weights I use now are about ten percent lower. My conclusion is that fat has it’s purpose.

So I wonder how long it will take for the body to adjust. And is there anything I can do to speed that up?

Regards Theo
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 03-08-2011 at 06:52 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Theo Netherland View Post
    Ron, I do have a problem! Since the beginning of January I’d totally quit drinking beer. I drink red wine instead, but not that much. I have two reasons for that. The most important one is that I knew that I’d drink too often too much. One day, not too far away, I would get a illness because of that. The other reason is that I’d start to develop fat on my belly.

R. Drinking red wine in moderation is a good thing for the resveratrol value and feeling relaxed too. I don't drink beer because of the energy I put into my strenuous ab routine daily. I don't knock anyone who does its just not for me personally now.

By now I’ve lost close to 15 lbs. For me that’s a little unnatural because I was always busy gaining weight. And now the problem. I‘d expect, since I’m lighter, I would do more chin ups and pull ups. Well the opposite is true. My highest is ten reps two months ago, but now eight reps is my maximum. Also my bench-press isn’t what it used to be. The weights I use now are about ten percent lower. My conclusion is that fat has it’s purpose.

R. The best source of fat would be Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Flaxseed oil, nuts, avacodo, while avoiding anything containing transfat e.g. packaged food or frozen dinners should have their labels read to see what you get. I do not excess fat on my body and I would look for other reasons to attribute not being able to do those extra reps or sets. It is all about what you want and how you feel with the way you are. Factoring in stress, lack of sleep and diet of course.

So I wonder how long it will take for the body to adjust. And is there anything I can do to speed that up?

R. Yes, relax, sleep well, meld your training routine with your lifestyle as it changes, eat well balancing your protein and carbs correctly, and depending upon what you have to do remember what Jack LaLanne did until he left us at 94. He ate two meals a day, no refined sugar, and he drank fruit and vegetable juice and when we say he was on the juice it was a wholesome statement.

Regards Theo

best wishes,
    Ron

vCash

Thanks for your answer Ron.

Theo

vCash

My pleasure Theo, and remember doing 8 reps instead of 10 on the chins, or doing a little less in weight on the bench press will save some strain on your connective tissue, ligaments, tendons etc and doing some higher reps to oil up the machine so to speak after a bit of a layoff or set back is fine, as long as you are doing something. Your caloric expenditure being greater a bit than your caloric intake will result in your looking a bit more cut and ripped. Your bodybuilding longevity is important too minus joint, lower back, knee and shoulder injuries.
    It is all about internal health, heart health, mental health, keeping disease off of you and feeling and looking good. We HAVE TO adjust with time and being the strongest is not always being the healthiest, find a happy medium and eat right, train correctly and looking ripped always feels good.

warmest wishes,
    Ron

vCash

Thanks for your answer Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton View Post
    We HAVE TO adjust with time and being the strongest is not always being the healthiest,
    This reminds me of something that I always wanted to remark here. Many times you have boxers that are in their forties and on a comeback trail. And of course they always feel great and better then ever before. They get away with it because boxing isn’t a sport where things are measured.

I’d quit in 1994 powerlifting and training. In 2005, at the age of 43, I decided to pick it up again. This time more bodybuilding than strength. So no heavy squats or deadlifts anymore. Nevertheless after two years I thought it would be a good idea to fit the deadlift in my trainings schedule. And than something unexpected occurred. After a while I did about eight reps of 100 kg or 220 lbs. The unexpected thing is that I did have a grip problem. Something that I never had before. But I kept on doing the exercise for while, my grip made progression. But it stocked again at three reps of 135 kg or 297 lbs. The last rep I just was able to keep the bar in my hands. I decided to call it a day and find something else. I had physical work at that moment and that also pulled the trigger.

Now my point is that at my best I did three reps of 220 kg or 484 lbs with bare hands, without streps. I’d realize that I never ever would do this again, or even come close to that. What is gone is forever gone. And I kept this in mind:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton View Post
    We HAVE TO adjust with time and being the strongest is not always being the healthiest,
    Regards Theo
    Last edited by Theo Netherland; 04-07-2011 at 04:46 PM.

vCash

Yes, some things are gone forever from our wells of strength, speed and the ability to absorb punishment. It is a fact of life. We can still stay in shape, be flexible, have good heart heath and look good, but getting in that ring to rock and roll is not one of them. It is still shocking to me to know that so many great fighters I have enjoyed knowing and watching are gone or disabled and so badly ill.

+ Reply to Thread