Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: De La Hoya has no interest in rematch

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

De La Hoya has no interest in rematch

De La Hoya has no interest in rematch

By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com
    Archive

AROUND THE RING
    No Mayweather-De La Hoya rematch

The world waited for the May 5 Oscar De La Hoya-Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight, and when it was over, Mayweather had cemented his place as the pound-for-pound king with a tight, but well-deserved, split decision victory. But De La Hoya performed much better than many expected, making it highly competitive despite coming off a one-year layoff and fighting for only the second time since losing to Bernard Hopkins in September 2004.

In the immediate aftermath there was much discussion of a rematch, and why not? The fight was competitive and set all kinds of records, including best-selling pay-per-view (2.15 million), biggest live gate ($19 million-plus) and highest grossing fight (more than $150 million).

Since the fight, it has been the winner, Mayweather, waffling between retirement and his desire for a rematch. De La Hoya, however, has been mum about his plans.

But, now, he has spoken, telling his close friend, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, that although he plans to fight on at age 34, he has no plans to offer Mayweather a rematch.

"Oscar told me he's not hanging them up, but we have not talked about who, when or where. But it won't be a rematch with Floyd Mayweather," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "Oscar's thoughts about a Mayweather rematch are 'Been there, done that.' Most people felt like it was a close fight and that Oscar came to fight. [Many] fans believe Oscar won the fight."

Schaefer said after things settled down after the fight and the pay-per-view figures and the other revenue had been counted up, he asked De La Hoya about his interest in a rematch.

"I said, 'What do you think' because I had been reading everywhere that Floyd Mayweather was calling Oscar out for a rematch," Schaefer said. "Oscar told me he respects Mayweather, but he is not going to do a rematch."

Who, then, will he fight?

"He hasn't discussed who. He doesn't want to discuss any opponents right now," Schaefer said. "But when I said, 'What about the Mayweather rematch,' he said, 'No.' Oscar is not going to fight Mayweather again.

"Oscar thinks Mayweather is a great fighter and it was a great promotion. It's not like he doesn't deserve a rematch or anything like that. It's more like been there done that, move on. What the 'move on' part means I don't know. It's not the time to discuss it. When he wants to he will come and talk to me. There is not an urgency. We all know that Oscar is not going to fight again in 2007."

More likely, De La Hoya will return in May 2008. He has fought on Cinco de Mayo weekend a number of times in his career and he likes fighting on the Mexican national holiday.

It is possible De La Hoya's public refusal of a rematch with Mayweather is a way to nudge Mayweather toward a fight with Shane Mosley, De La Hoya's pal and business partner in Golden Boy Promotions. Mayweather-Mosley looms as the biggest fight in boxing besides a Mayweather-De La Hoya rematch.

Mayweather has been reluctant to focus on a fight with Mosley, probably because he has designs on facing De La Hoya again. The Mayweather camp was unmoved by De La Hoya's dismissal of a rematch.

"We don't have a reaction. If Oscar wants to come back and do a rematch then cool," Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's best friend and adviser, told ESPN.com. "Whatever it is he wants to do with his career, we respect it. He can do what he wants to do and Floyd will do what he wants to do, but the reason he doesn't want a rematch is because he can't beat Floyd. Fact is, he got his a-- whipped by a smaller guy. He'll never be able to whip Floyd, so, of course, he doesn't want to do it again. We respect it. We ain't mad at him. It's OK."

Marquez to face Barrios
    Junior lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez was willing to give a rematch to Marco Antonio Barrera under the terms of the contract for their March 17 showdown, when Marquez won the title via decision in an all-action fight. Barrera, however, is unhappy with Golden Boy and rejected the rematch in favor of a taking a smaller fight in the fall, perhaps in Mexico. That left Marquez (47-3-1, 35 KOs) in need of a dance partner for his Sept. 15 HBO PPV date at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
    A rematch against Manny Pacquiao also was not possible, so Marquez went with Plan C: exciting former titlist Jorge Barrios (47-3-1, 34 KOs) of Argentina. The fight is a questionable pay-per-view headliner, but Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer promised the card would feature four evenly matched bouts "all with fireworks, which is what we are calling the show, 'Fireworks,'" he said.

One of the fights already set for the card is a 10-round middleweight match between former junior middleweight titlist Kassim Ouma (25-3-1, 15 KOs) and Sergio Mora (19-0, 4 KOs), winner of "The Contender" first season.

Ouma is coming off a lopsided loss to middleweight champ Jermain Taylor in December. Mora, who pulled out of a May 19 opportunity to fight Taylor because he didn't want to fight in Memphis, was supposed to fight Raymond Joval on ESPN2 on Aug. 10 but withdrew for the higher-profile Ouma fight.

"Sergio thinks it's a great fight for him and that he will have a chance to shine," 'Contender' promoter Jeff Wald told ESPN.com. "He has a lot of respect for Ouma, but he's not taking him lightly."

One of the other fights being discussed for the show would match Steve Forbes, runner up on the second season of "The Contender" against onetime phenom Francisco "Panchito" Bojado in a junior welterweight fight. However, that fight is on the rocks because Forbes is unhappy with the money being offered.

A third fight mentioned as a possibility for the card would match junior welterweight Demetrius Hopkins, Bernard Hopkins' nephew, with Juan Lazcano.

Spinks returning to 154
    Cory Spinks is headed back to 154 pounds, where he holds a title, after an unsuccessful jump to 160 pounds on May 19, when he lost a close decision to middleweight champion Jermain Taylor.
    "He's gonna go back to 154, for sure," manager/trainer Kevin Cunningham told ESPN.com. "Ain't nothing else to stay up there for. He ain't a 160-pounder. We just went up because we couldn't get a fight with anyone else and Jermain gave us the opportunity."

Cunningham said that even though Spinks gets a bad rap for his defensive style, he's willing to fight anybody.

"The media wants to talk about the negative things about Cory, but one thing people don't talk about is this: He will fight anyone at any time at any weight," Cunningham said. "We'd like to get Mayweather, De La Hoya or Felix Trinidad. We'd be willing to fight Kassim Ouma. We'd stay at 160 if Trinidad would come out of retirement and fight us. We'd take Ike Quartey. We'd take the [July 28] winner of Vernon Forrest-Carlos Baldomir.

"And we'd be willing to bring Zab [Judah] back to St. Louis for a trilogy. Even though Zab lost (to Miguel Cotto last week), the guy showed more guts than I have seen a lot of fighters show in a long time. He had his moments and he took a lot of punishment. If he didn't have the heart of champion he could have quit, and he didn't."

Spinks defended the undisputed welterweight title against Judah via decision in 2004, but lost the title on a ninth-round knockout in 2005 in St. Louis, Spinks' hometown.

Banned
    vCash

Re: De La Hoya has no interest in rematch

biggest card I can think of

delahoya/trinidad
    mayweather/mosely
    hopkins/calzaghe

golden boy promotes 3 of the fighters. delahoya gets big win and avenges a loss. trinidad makes big payday. mosely calls out mayweather since he also beat delahoya. hopkins finally gets large crowd to attend his fight. calzaghe hits the US. 5 fighters can call this their retirement fight.

The only problem is which fight would get top billing?

vCash

If DLH gets lots of this $$$$$$$$$$. Their will be a 2nd fight.

Banned
    vCash

I don't think so. Delahoya can't do anything different in a 2nd fight so he would lose again. I don't think he wants to go out with too many losses. Plus another press tour with PBF. He's got more money now than he knows what to do with as it is. Take the easier fight, trinidad. Huge, Huge payday, plus you avenge a loss. Trinidad hasn't fought in 2 years. trinidad was almost trampled by the crush of fans at the DLH/PBF fight. Tito still has a massive following which means a huge payday. It would also set up a 3rd rubber match should oscar win...............

vCash

Oscar De La Hoya Will Continue to Fight

Oscar will continue to fight while Hopkins & Wright are "Coming to Fight"

By Robert Morales

Oscar De La Hoya is in Los Angeles this week. But don’t expect him to let us in on his next move just yet, even though he will come face-to-face with several reporters Thursday when he takes part in Bernard Hopkins’ media workout at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood.

We talked with Richard Schaefer, CEO of De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, on Tuesday about De La Hoya’s future. Schaefer also discussed the rumor that had Marco Antonio Barrera leaving Golden Boy, as well as the interesting undercard that will support Hopkins’ fight with Winky Wright on July 21 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Regarding De La Hoya, Schaefer pointed out that De La Hoya has already went on record as saying he will continue to fight. In one breath, Schaefer said it is highly doubtful that De La Hoya will take on Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a rematch of their May 5 fight in Las Vegas, won by Mayweather via split decision.

“He thinks the Mayweather rematch is just out of the question,” Schaefer said. “He doesn’t want to do that.”

In the next breath, Schaefer sang a slightly different tune.

“He sort of like left the door open,” Schaefer said. “He said if Mayweather fought (Shane) Mosley and beat Mosley, maybe there is a possibility.”

Other than that, Schaefer said, there has been little talk between him and the Golden Boy regarding his next opponent.

“Last year, around the same time after Oscar beat Ricardo Mayorga (in May 2006), the question came up, ‘What is he going to do next?’ ” Schaefer said. “We are sort of like at that same juncture again a year later. Oscar really hasn’t sat down with me and isussed it. He usually does that around December or so. That is when I get my wheels in motion and start putting the fights together. He hasn’t shared with me any thoughts on potential opponents.”

De La Hoya, 34, is 38-5 with 30 knockouts. But he has lost three of his past five fights. Still, De La Hoya now holds the record for most pay-per-view money generated, as well as the record for most pay-per-view buys in a single fight. HBO reported that De La Hoya-Mayweather did a record 2.15 million buys. And Schaefer said Tuesday that the final numbers are not in and that when all is said and done, the number of buys will have grown.

In other words, even though De La Hoya did not fight in 2005 and will have fought just once in each of the past two years (including 2007), he is as popular as ever. Schaefer noted De La Hoya was not hurt one bit in that regard because of his loss to Mayweather, partly because it was De La Hoya who came to fight while Mayweather took a somewhat safe approach.

“When I look at the fan mail he got, I tell you Oscar did not lose one fan,” Schaefer said. “There were a record number of people watching Oscar fight, and whoever saw that fight saw that Oscar is a guy who comes to fight. He didn’t lose any fans. I think he gained support.”

Schaefer said that Mayweather’s popularity is a different story. To Schaefer, Mayweather is going to have to start taking more chances. Of course, Mayweather has vowed that he is going to stay retired. But the chances of that happening are slim and none. He’ll fight again. Believe that.

“He is one of the most talented fighters ever,” Schaefer said of Mayweather. “He is really a very, very fine and outstanding fighter. I think at some point fans are going to want to see him mix it up more and be more entertaining. You might start deducting from your fan support.”

Switching gears to Barrera, Schaefer said there is no truth to the buzz that the “Baby Faced Assassin” from Mexico City is leaving Golden Boy. At least not yet.

“No, he still has at least two fights with us,” Schaefer said. “I think that is just typical rumor bull … He was quite disappointed with the last fight with Juan Manuel Marquez, and he was under the impression that we had something to do with it.”

Schaefer was asked to clarify.

“I guess he tried to imply that we had something to do with the judges,” Schaefer said. “I told him, ‘If I would be that powerful or influential, I don’t think Oscar would have lost to Mayweather and Hopkins would have gotten at least one of the decisions against Jermain Taylor.’ ”

Schaefer said he didn’t put much stock in what Barrera said because Barrera was probably still upset about losing a unanimous decision to Marquez last March 17 at Mandalay Bay. Marquez, like Barrera, hails from Mexico City. Marquez is also promoted by Golden Boy, and he took Barrera’s World Boxing Council super featherweight belt that night.

“Everything is OK,” said Schaefer, who said Barrera turned down an offer for a rematch with Marquez, who is defending his belt against Jorge Barrios on Sept. 15 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Finally, Schaefer was told that many fans who paid $54.95 for the pay-per-view feed were disappointed in the undercard of De La Hoya-Mayweather. It featured Rocky Juarez defeating Jose Andres Hernandez in a 12-round featherweight fight for a minor title, and Rey “Boom Boom” Bautista winning a 12-round super bantamweight title elimination fight against Sergio Manuel Medina.

Exactly.

For Hopkins-Wright, viewers will pay $49.95 for the main event and two interim world title fights. Oscar Larios, the former WBC super bantamweight champion from Mexico, will square off with Jorge Linares of Venezuela for the vacant WBC featherweight interim belt. And Michael Katsidis, the World Boxing Organization interim lightweight champion, will defend his belt against Czar Amonsot of the Philippines.

At first glance, this undercard might seem only slightly better than the one that stunk up De La Hoya-Mayweather. Then again, getting a chance to see Katsidis might make it all worth it. Reports on the Australian are positive. He is known as someone who fights very hard and does his best to make an action-packed fight. Katsidis, 26, is 22-0 with 20 knockouts. He has fought all but one of his fights in Australia. As it usually is in a case like that, Katsidis has nary a recognizable opponent on his ledger. But Schaefer echoed the sentiments of many, that Katsidis is the real deal.

“He is an animal,” Schaefer said. “The name of the card is ‘Coming to Fight,’ and we know he (Katsidis) is coming to fight.”

Katsidis’ moniker is “Rocky,” so he had better come to fight.

Robert Morales can be reached at rmorales@15rounds.com

vCash

Administrator
    vCash

I can do without the rematch. Someone a little younger needs to do the trick on PBF.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    I can do without the rematch. Someone a little younger needs to do the trick on PBF.
    Who's gonna do the trick though?

Floyd only wants DLH because of the payday. Floyd won't get paid, at least not like DLH by fighting someone younger.

The problem with Floyd is he thinks he's the reason the Oscar fight was so big. I don't blame DLH, having to lay big money on the line. Use his promotional skills and resources to make the fight, while all Floyd has to do is do a few media sessions, maybe another reality mini series, and reap all the benefits from Oscar's popularity by making millions.

It's like Oscar is the money-freak-show like Mike Tyson is THE freak-show.

Administrator
    vCash

Someone young like Cotto or Hatton who can fight 12 hard, stifiling rounds. Nobody is going to beat PBF by taking rounds off and giving him room to operate. Not saying they are good enough to pull it off but that is the mold it going to have to come from.

Roberto Aqui

4 welts for Floyd----Margarito, Cotto, Hatton, or Witter. He already turned down a fight with Wright a couple years back, so Taylor, Pavlik, Miranda, Abraham are out, but maybe a vacant title against Spinks is in!

vCash

I'm still mystified how De La Hoya can still generate the kind of pay per view buyrates he does despite losing almost all his big fights.20 years ago he would be an also ran and never was.That should tell you something about the state of boxing right now.

vCash

Boxing: De La Hoya still not sure about future
    BY ROBERT MORALES, Staff Writer
    Los Angeles, Dailynews

Even though Richard Schaefer told the Daily News on Tuesday that Oscar De La Hoya would continue to fight, De La Hoya on Thursday told reporters he had not yet made that decision.

Schaefer, CEO of De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, was just telling this newspaper what De La Hoya had told him. But De La Hoya, who has been known to hedge, apparently isn't sure what lies ahead for him as a fighter. He lost a split decision to Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 5 in Las Vegas.

De La Hoya the promoter was on hand Thursday at Freddie Roach's Wild Card gym in Hollywood, attending a media workout for Bernard Hopkins. Hopkins, who is promoted by Golden Boy, will take on Winky Wright on July21 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. They will fight at a catch-weight of 170 pounds and the bout will be available on HBO pay-per-view for $49.95.

"We'll see, we'll see," De La Hoya said. "I haven't really thought about it, to be honest with you. I have been working and spending time with family. So that has really occupied my time. But I haven't really sat down with anybody and said, `You know what, should we do this again, or should we not?"'

De La Hoya did say that if he does continue to fight, it will be under the

guidance of Roach, who is now training Hopkins.
    "He's an amazing trainer," De La Hoya said of Roach.

De La Hoya was also asked what he would do differently if he were to engage Mayweather in a rematch.

"Just get a smaller ring," he said, laughing. "He's slippery."

Schaefer said it has been interesting to see that De La Hoya seems to have garnered even more fans through his defeat to Mayweather. The reason is simple: De La Hoya came for a slugfest, Mayweather came to play it safe.

"It's amazing how, when you lose a fight, you gain more fans," said De La Hoya, 34, of East Los Angeles. "It's incredible. And I think (it's) because I did come to fight, and I think because Floyd was bragging and mentioning so much for months before the fight that he was going to knock my head off and stay toe-to-toe with me. And I think a lot of people, yeah, could be disappointed about that, that he didn't do that. I know I was. I know I was. Believe me, I was."

We believe you.

vCash

Oscar De La Hoya said today that he would like to stage his next fight in May at Dodger Stadium.
    By Lance Pugmire, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    November 9, 2007

NEW YORK -- Oscar De La Hoya said today that he would like to stage his next fight in May at Dodger Stadium.

"The Dodgers are the team in L.A., it's history in the making," De La Hoya said.

De La Hoya (38-5) and his business partner Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions have yet to officially propose the unique outdoor bout to Dodgers officials, although the probable May 3 date is open. The Dodgers are scheduled to play that day in Denver against the National League champion Colorado Rockies.

"It's something we'd be happy to discuss with them if they give us a call," Dodgers spokeswoman Camille Johnston said. "It's an interesting possibility."

De La Hoya, from East Los Angeles, is coming off a close split-decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May and said he'd like to fight popular British boxer Ricky Hatton next if Hatton gives Mayweather a good showing Dec. 8 in Las Vegas.

De La Hoya said he had attended only one Dodgers game at Dodger Stadium, a regular-season game several years ago.

The first and last boxing card at the stadium was March 21, 1963, a dark day in boxing history.

Featherweight champion Davey Moore fell backward in the 10th round after suffering a beating from challenger Sugar Ramos and struck the back of his neck on the bottom rope of the ring, suffering a brain stem injury from which he died days later.

Moore's death led to safety improvements, including rope padding and a fourth strand of rope. Bob Dylan also wrote a song about the tragedy, "Who Killed Davey Moore?" which had a referee, boxing writer, manager and crowd skirting blame.

lance.pugmire@latimes.com

+ Reply to Thread