Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sonny Liston vs Joe Louis

vCash

Sonny Liston vs Joe Louis

Could Louis win over Liston who would is strong and posses the longer reach?

Roberto Aqui

Re: Sonny Liston vs Joe Louis

On paper Liston has most of the physical advantages, but against a snake quick counterpuncher like Louis he might get whacked hard enough to quit. Of course he still has a good punchers chance if he scores first, but I gotta favor Joe.

It's hard to rate Sonny because of the Ali fights. He saved his life but queered his career.

vCash

Both men could hit hard enough to shake a house. Neither had great defense but were certainly not lacking in most boxing skills, especially offensive. Neither man had much in the way of foot speed; Louis had the faster hands. Louis' chin was OK, Liston's was better. I'll take Louis but man, a war for sure. Maybe 5-4 odds? Shufflin' Joe wins two out of three fights?

vCash

I hate to say this, but I think that Sonny might end this one by mid round KO. I think Joe's speed makes his more dangerous than his power in this one.

The thing is, the way Liston boxes. He fights off the jab and sets everything up after that. With his power and skill, I think Joe gets blasted from the outside, forced to press in, has success, but then with his chin, maybe can't stand in there too long.

I don't know. It's a tough one. In any case I favor Liston. I love them both. MONSTERS.

vCash

Louis by KO. Faster, better combos, better footwork, better conditioning, more heart. He'd counter Liston to death.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by apollack
    Louis by KO. Faster, better combos, better footwork, better conditioning, more heart. He'd counter Liston to death.
    i think youd have to be out of you mind to favor liston. at listons best ,perhaps the only thing he could ever do better than louis, was take, but not by much as louis heart and killer instict in the 15 riund frame --is too much. liston-- a boxer puncher chance to nail lius good maybe once in three. louis made sure, howere, to within the 10 to 15 framework--to eventuall destroy and or bust up his opposition- one reason he was as great as he was. liston was damn ,damn, good--but joe seemmed to have more of everthing than sonny--and eventually win--imo by ko or unaimous decison.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by apollack
    i think youd have to be out of you mind to favor liston. at listons best ,perhaps the only thing he could ever do better than louis, was take, but not by much as louis heart and killer instict in the 15 riund frame --is too much. liston-- a boxer puncher chance to nail lius good maybe once in three. louis made sure, howere, to within the 10 to 15 framework--to eventuall destroy and or bust up his opposition- one reason he was as great as he was. liston was damn ,damn, good--but joe seemmed to have more of everthing than sonny--and eventually win--imo by ko or unaimous decison.

vCash

Louis the all-time great vs Sonny who was at the top only briefly. Louis has everything but speed, Liston was lacking in defense, possibly heart, and competition. Losing twice as he did to Ali--HOW he lost both times--is telling.

Louis by KO--since he could KO anybody he hit.

vCash

Sonny Liston would be Joe Louis's worst nightmare. Liston at his best had a cast iron chin, devastating power, and excellent boxing skills. However, like other posters have stated, questions about Liston's 2 fights with Ali(did Liston take a dive or just quit?) leaves too many unanswered questions. Yet, I still like Louis in this fight, I just don't know if he wins by decision or kayo.

vCash

Louis by mid-round ko or tko, Louis was just the better all around fighter, and when you compare their careers, Liston was just a flash in the pan.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLP 6
    I hate to say this, but I think that Sonny might end this one by mid round KO. I think Joe's speed makes his more dangerous than his power in this one.

The thing is, the way Liston boxes. He fights off the jab and sets everything up after that. With his power and skill, I think Joe gets blasted from the outside, forced to press in, has success, but then with his chin, maybe can't stand in there too long.

I don't know. It's a tough one. In any case I favor Liston. I love them both. MONSTERS.
    You could be right buddy i assume this is Liston in his prime.
    Sonny is no 175lb Billy Conn, or the bum of the month. As i have often said Louis was put down about ten times by some pretty average punchers. Liston's jab was as good as a lot of other fighters best punch. Unlike Ali, Louis is there to be hit, and i feel an in shape Liston has the better chin. My tip dont bet the farm on Louis in this one. You could be in for a big shock.

vCash

Louis went down so much because he would square up when trading . The fact that he took flush shots from the likes of Walcott, Baer (both brothers), and Galento and was never in serious trouble speals to me a great deal about his chin i.e. that it was pretty damn good.

That being said, I see Liston winning a decision in the first fight, Louis winning the rematch by KO. Louis's handspeed, counterpunching, and body work being the difference in the rematch.

vCash

As a Joe Louis fan, this fight would scare the pants off me. Louis would most likely win, but if I were Louis's manager I wouldn't allow this fight to happen. What's stranger the fiction, is that Louis and Liston were pretty good buddies, atleast according to Liston's bio: The Devil and Sonny Liston.

+ Reply to Thread