Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bert Gilroy

vCash

Re: Bert Gilroy

Bert Gilroy lost his first greatest prize the 29th of June this year 2009, that is his first born Rita Rea/Glen, my mother... born a few days before he won his 1st Scottish title in Sept. 1938 and just months after he became World Class and a top British Contender at a time when that still meant something.

while titles, fame and immortality faded Bert in the end, it was Rita his daughter who gave up life, home & family in Canada to come back 'home' to Scotland and look after her father Bert, and she spent 4 years back home doing so... but then again this is how she lived her life!

Bert's second daughter Catherine would later win a Regional Beauty Contest and all through that and after that people used to say, "you think Catherine's beautiful you should see his daughter Rita... they were right in many, many more ways than implied at the time.

God Bless you Mom and Thank you for loving all of us, as that's all you knew how to do. I'll see you soon, your Son, Jim.

vCash

My condolensces Jim, on the death of your mother.

Frank

vCash

Sorry to hear about your loss Jim.

vCash

James Glen Snr. and Rita Rea

shortly after their wedding 1959... John "Cowboy" McCormack was part of the wedding party.

Rest in the presence of our Saviour God, Christ the King.

vCash

Jim,

My sincerest condolences on your loss!

Dan

vCash

Jim

Sorry to hear this news.

Take care mate.

vCash

Thank you gentlemen, funeral to take place in Scotland on the 25th of July.

God Bless you and thank you once more.

Rest in Peace dear Mother till we see you in Paradise. Jim.

vCash

God I forgot this thread ended with a mentiom of my Mom's death, God Bless you Mom...

well here is perhaps the best tribute to her dad! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320431134033

vCash

The following photos courtesy of Jim Glen.

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

Thanks Frank,

here's the link if anyone would like a copy of the Scrapbook - 72 pages a fan & collectors must, absolutely beautiful... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bert-Gilroy-UK...d=p3286.c0.m14

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

just about over, an absolutely beautiful, oustanding 72 page Scrapbook - print's out 12" x 18"...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bert-Gilroy-UK...d=p3286.c0.m14

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

could i get a copy of the scarp book as im trying to research Gilroy

vCash

go to about 15:00 minutes, right to 15:30 or so and listen close, British Light -Heavyweight contender, Jock Taylor, thats my Old Grandad he's talking about "the most feared and cheated fighter in British Boxing History", and IF there was ever any question, as some (Not Here), have implied!!!

the man's quote; "Bert Gilroy, the Scottish Champion was No.1, he was always No.1..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=_K8ZwK4v24Q
    Last edited by jim glen; 02-15-2012 at 05:42 PM.

vCash

interesting report from a few months ago, insightful and funny.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...ail/story.html

Granby Halls bout ended in riot

Saturday, December 31, 2011
    Leicester Mercury

During a recent conversation with some Scottish boxing enthusiasts the name of Bert GiIroy came up, regular contributor to this page Harold Varnam, of Countesthorpe, tells me.

"Apparently he is still regarded as one of Scotland's best ever boxers," says Mr Varnam, "but for me it recalled a notorious incident at Leicester's erstwhile premier boxing arena, the late-lamented Granby Halls.

"I believe the year was 1944 and despite war time restrictions Granby Halls was always full to overflowing for the boxing programmes. "On this particular evening Leicester's legendary promoter Joe Jacobs was appealing to the crowd to close ranks so that more fans could be packed into an already 'sardine-packed' arena.

"One of the main events featured the said Bert Gilroy and Doncaster's highly-regarded prospect Bruce Woodcock. At the time Woodcock was being hailed as the saviour of British boxing and a possible future challenger for the World Heavyweight Championship.

"When the two men entered the ring it brought forth howls of derision and laughter and some very ribald comments from the usual comedians in the crowd because Woodcock was a full head taller than the Scot and probably at least a couple of stone heavier.

"Despite Gilroy's sturdy physique it looked like a bad mismatch. Naturally the crowds sympathies were with the smaller man. But once the fight started Gilroy proceeded to punch the much bigger Woodcock all over the ring.

"He definitely won the opening rounds by a large margin, much to the delight of the partisan audience until a wild swing from Woodcock caught him square on the chin and he went down.

"He didn't seem particularly hurt but before he could get up the referee stopped the fight and declared Woodcock the winner. It was obviously a blatant attempt to preserve the Doncaster man's unbeaten record.

"Then all hell broke loose. Chairs, paper cups, programmes and cushions were all hurled into the ring and several fist fights broke out at ringside between the rival supporters. "Within minutes the fighting spread to all parts of the arena. Women were screaming and many fans were scrabbling to try to avoid the brawling mob.

"Police presence at sporting events in those days was very sparse and, if I remember correctly, there were only about half a dozen policeman in the arena. "These were quickly overwhelmed as people fought to get outside.

"I was only a nine-year-old schoolboy at the time but under the protection of my Uncle George's strong arms I was virtually carried to safety into Aylestone Road.

"But outside the skirmishes continued and as we left the area the first of The Black Marias were arriving with police reinforcements. During the war news reports were subjected to censorship and negative items were usually suppressed.

"So I would be interested to know how this dramatic event was reported at the time."

vCash

I've got a inner feeling that more goodies - (letters, reports, pictures, Film Footage, wouldn't that be great) of old Bert are on the way. I had a dream the other night we had him at the Hall of Fame in person, me, my Mom & Dad, my brother Raymond, and my uncle's, Big Tony & uncle Joe.

Anyway my, Mother, my Brother and old Bert have all passed, so it just makes me think some nice find may be along soon.

God Bless them all, I miss and love them dearly.

Jim.

vCash

scored hundreds of cuttings on Ebay, mostly British and mostly HWs, from late 30s into the early 50s.

I've been through half already, found quite a bit so far on Ol' Bert, including 5 pictures I had never seen before, and further confirmation of his leading the first bout with Woodcock, but 2 years later Woodcock blew - him - away, in the return.

Loads on the Mills/Woodcock roadshow, because thats all it was, "a desperate attempt" to capture a World Heavyweight title!!!

theres still loads for me to reveiw, but the annoying thing is the peak war years are few compared to the reports before and after. Also I just lost out on 3 Boxing News collections from mid 45 to 1950, about 150 issues, oh well maybe next time.

Bert Gilroy, the man they all but hid away, IF it wasn't true, it would be unbelievable!!!
    Last edited by jim glen; 06-29-2012 at 06:53 PM.

vCash

Thats great man! Nothing like running up on material that you have not seen before, especially in your case with Gilroy!

vCash

another interesting little article from 1947, it just goes to show you, you wait long enough the truth emerges...

http://newspapers.nl.sg/Digitised/Ar...1.2.35.11.aspx

this reveals a couple of noteworthy points i.e Gilroy's excellence as a boxer, why did they not place Roderick or Hawkins to fight Cerdan, afterall they were their then middleweight champions, but rather ask Gilroy to make weight and go for it, a weight he had'nt seen for nearly 3 years!

and last, all these articles that float around the UK never making the USA, only Boxing News and John Sharpe the British Ring Mags UK correspondant, stating less complimetary reports.

P.S. I could'nt copy and post the article, IF someone knows how to do that?
    Last edited by jim glen; 11-02-2012 at 06:08 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt View Post
    June 10 1940, British Middleweight Title...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt View Post
    more to come yet Grandad.

vCash

McAvoy V Gilroy the UK version of Robinson V Burley. So near yet so far.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12