Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ibragimov vs Holyfield Predictions, Press, Discussion

vCash

Re: Igbragimov-Holyfield Pre-Fight Press & Predictions

I'd like see Holy win, it would make for an interesting story, but I don't think he will.

Ibragimov is pretty slick, he has very good footwork and movement and he's a lefty which causes problems for most. He rolls out good too.

Stylistically, Ibragimov is a bad match-up for the aging, creaking Holyfield. Ibragimov is a sharp puncher with decent handspeed, and busy hands so he's just all wrong for Evander.

If Ibragimov would really step on the gas he'd probably stop Evander, but he'll likely coast to a decision win.

TKO Tom

vCash

He Looks old!

Former heavyweight boxing champion Evander Holyfield works out during a training session in Moscow on Monday as he prepares to fight Russia's Sultan Ibragimov.
    (Ivan Sekretarev / AP)

vCash

At 44, Holyfield to fight in Moscow

New York boxing officials tried to give him 'pause,' but Holyfield is back in a heavyweight title fight Saturday.
    By Lance Pugmire, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    October 13, 2007

Evander Holyfield is in the middle of what you'd expect a 44-year-old former world champion boxer to do on a routine weekday around his Atlanta neighborhood.

"No. 5 combo with a sweet tea," Holyfield ordered at the McDonald's counter last week. Seconds later, a small crowd gathered, praising Holyfield for his 1996 and 1997 victories over Mike Tyson, and asking for any mementos he could provide.

Return to the ring
    But Holyfield's relaxed diet and basking in past accomplishments are only temporary activities.

He's actually still fighting, and today -- six days shy of his 45th birthday -- the former four-time world champion is pursuing a fifth heavyweight belt when he takes on unbeaten 32-year-old World Boxing Organization heavyweight champion Sultan Ibragimov in Moscow.

"I've taken care of my body," Holyfield said. "I have not done things to damage myself. I can get more out of my 45-year-old body than those who are 25 or 30. I've shown if you do it the right way, you can stay in it longer than most."

The renewed question for Holyfield as he steps into the ring again with a 6-5-1 record since 1999 is, how long is too long?

"People tell me to go ahead and sit down, that my time has passed," Holyfield said. "This is the reason I like our country. People can have opinions, but they can't stop you from doing what you want to do."

Today's bout will be Holyfield's 53rd as a professional, and he's less than three years removed from a beating at the hands of journeyman Larry Donald that caused the New York State Athletic Commission to place him on an indefinite medical suspension.

In that bout, Holyfield "was getting out-punched 4 to 1" and was reduced to "a sitting duck," said a New York commission member.

Back then, New York State Athletic Commission Chairman Ron Stevens told the New York Daily News: "To my practiced mind, Holyfield shouldn't be fighting anymore. It's the responsibility of the state athletic commission to save a boxer from himself."

Boxing fans who have long followed Holyfield also noted how his speech has slowed, causing some writers to draw comparisons between Holyfield and Muhammad Ali, who has Parkinson's disease.

Holyfield would ultimately disclose to New York officials that he labored to defend himself against Donald because of surgeries on both shoulders.

New York's commission, however, demanded Holyfield undergo a series of "seven sophisticated exams," including cognitive tests, according to a commission member, and the boxer's performance resulted in a 2006 decision to amend the suspension to "administrative." That meant other states could use their own discretion in judging Holyfield's physical and mental fitness to fight.

"We tried to make him pause and reflect about what he wants to do with his life," said a New York official who requested anonymity because of the confidential nature of Holyfield's medical results.

Texas cleared Holyfield, and he has fought there four times since, winning two bouts by technical knockout and two more by unanimous decision. Texas allows boxers to undergo a physical by a personal doctor as long as an electrocardiogram and electroencephalography brain-wave test are conducted along with an inspection for possible neurological troubles. Any abnormalities require additional information, said a spokesman for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

After Holyfield's March TKO triumph over Vincent Maddalone, New York lifted its administrative suspension at the request of Holyfield's promoter, Main Events.

"He hasn't made an application to fight here, but we take all circumstances into account before we clear a fighter -- his history, his recent performances, all of his medicals," Stevens said. "I could let a guy fight Fighter A if I felt it'd be a good fight, but not Fighter C, if I thought it'd be a mismatch. Our first responsibility is the health and safety of the boxer."

The problem, added California State Athletic Commission Executive Director Armando Garcia, is that pre-fight medical scrutiny of boxers is uneven among U.S. states. Garcia said Florida, for instance, requires that fighters pass only tests for HIV and hepatitis.

If he were fighting in California, Holyfield would be obligated to undergo a cognitive impairment test that would require him to answer questions, repeat commands and draw things to establish if his skills were below that of a normal person his age, or if he was exhibiting signs of dementia, Garcia said.

"The only way we can all sleep better at night is to have standard medicals and a data bank we can all look at," Garcia said. "It's a problem in boxing."

Dr. Tony Alamo, chairman of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, similarly bemoaned the absence of "a magical diagnostic test" that would allow state officials to determine which fighters can return to the ring.

"There's not such a thing," Alamo said. "We look at the cumulation of the information, not one data point. How good is the fighter doing? Did he get knocked out last time? What's his age? It's the gestalt. We license 40-year-olds. . . . Age alone is not a criteria that keeps someone from fighting.

"Evander has some pluses and minuses. How is he doing today? I'd like to see a lot of medicals and evaluations from other physicians before I cleared him."

Holyfield maintains he has passed a steady battery of physical and cognitive tests, especially since 1994, when doctors detected a heart condition that caused him to briefly retire.

"I know people are skeptical, they want to keep putting up roadblocks," he said. "But I don't sound bad [when talking]. You hear me. I'm willing to follow the rules and regulations, but I want to continue fighting."

He also denies that he has taken human growth hormone or steroids despite reports this year that he is linked to two law enforcement raids of Internet pharmacies.

"I don't do drugs, never," he said last week.

Money is also a suspected motivation for Holyfield's continued career. He has 11 children, a large home, and is married to his third wife. He's making $5 million for this fight.

Holyfield said he aspires to stand again as the undisputed heavyweight champion, a title he held in the early 1990s but has since splintered and is now a title divided among Russians, the most famous of whom is International Boxing Federation belt-holder Wladimir Klitschko. It'll require several more fights to accomplish the feat.

He said his religious beliefs also motivate him to show others that, "Whatever you choose to do, there's hard work and sacrifices you have to make, even until the day you die.

"If you start thinking about all the bad things that can happen to you, you wouldn't even try."

lance.pugmire@latimes.com

Russian matchups
    Today at Khodynka Ice Palace, Moscow. Card begins 10 a.m. PDT, pay per view

* Sultan Ibragimov, Russia, vs. Evander Holyfield, Atlanta, 12 rounds, for Ibragimov's WBO heavyweight title.

* Dimitri Kirilov, Russia, vs. Jose Navarro, Los Angeles, 12 rounds,

for the vacant IBF junior-bantamweight title.

A shed in someones backyard in London, England
    vCash

I fear for Evander really, the way he is carrying on so far beyond his prime reminds me of Ali, Charles and Robinson, and look what happened to them healthwise after their careers finally ended, Evanders been occasionally slurring his words from as far back as the Tyson fights... its as if people have grown used to it now but look back at how he talked in the 80s and early 90s....
    despite it all though I cant help but admire his warrior heart and being a little older now I can understand more about why fighters carry on so often and try and ignore the turn of time, but there should be more people about to save these guys from themselves, Evander should be training new fighters and new champs, not putting his longterm health at risk at past 40.....

vCash

Early Results from Moscow!
    By Alexey Sukachev at ringside
    Fightnews.com

A third round knockdown and a late surge gave super featherweight Dimitri Kirilov (29-3, 10 KOs) the IBF 115lb world title with a razor-thin unanimous decision over Jose Navarro (26-3, 12 KOs). Scores were 114-113, 114-113, 116-112.

It was a stinker all way long but the end wasn't disappointing for Kiwi cruiser Mohammed Azzaoui, as he retained his IBF Pan Pacific belt with an eight-round stoppage of Nicaraguan journeyman Henry Saenz. Azzaoui, WBA #8 and IBF #15, was in control from round one throwing left jabs and right hooks. Saenz has been slowly succumbing to a power of Kiwi fighter and in round five had his face totally swollen. In rounds six and seven Saenz, now 15-7-1, 8 KOs, was wobbled several times but managed to came out of battery. The end came after the round eight, when Saenz corner stopped the bout. Azzaoui is still unbeaten with 22-0-2, 8 KOs.

Welterweight King Khabib Allkhverdiev is now 6-0, 2 KOs, after a highly entertaining UD 4 over Costa-Rican Gustavo Miller (2-1-1, 1 KO). Miller was decked in round one.

'Polish Hammer' Dawid Kostecki was held to a highly contoversial eight round draw in a fight with German-based Cameroonian Bernard Donfack (now 6-5-4, 1 KO). Donfack was huge in round two, rocking his rival on several occasions. However, he failed to capitalize on that, losing almost every round after. In round seven Kostecki floored Donfack hard but failed to finish the fight early. In round eight Dobfack was all but done and exremely lucky to get a draw. Fightnews scored it 78-73 Kostecki.

Cruiserweight contender Vadim Tokarev (now 24-1-1, 17 KOs) came back strong after his disapointing loss to Marko Huck in the IBF eliminator this May. Tokarev destroyed his hugely overmatched foe Marlon Hayes of USA via third-round technical knockout. Hayes, 23-10, 11 KOs, was never in game running rather than fighting. The referee stopped the contest on 2:43 of the third round, when Hayes was severely rocked twice with consecutive right and left hooks to the jaw.

In the opener Ali Ismailov of Azerbaijan scored an entertaining unanimous decision over crowd-pleasing clown Tolgat Dosanov of Kazakhstan. Ismailov had his rival in trouble in rounds three and four but failed to end the fight premateruly. Azerbaijani is now 10-1-1, with 7 KOs, while Dosanov (10-6-1, 4 KOs) continues his losing streak.
    Saturday, October 13 2007

Banned
    vCash

SPOLIER!

Ibragimov retained his title in workmanlike fashion with a wide unanimous decision. Maybe Evander will retire now? Don't count on it. He'll probably set his sites on "unifying" the championship by the nation's tri-centennial celebration. PeteLeo.
    Last edited by PeteLeo; 10-13-2007 at 07:15 PM.

vCash

Holyfield loses to Ibragimov in unanimous decision in Moscow

By ROB MURRAY, AP Sports Writer
    October 13, 2007

MOSCOW (AP) -- Evander Holyfield's quest for a fifth heavyweight title ran into a roadblock Saturday: Sultan Ibragimov.

Ibragimov kept his WBO title with a unanimous decision over Holyfield, who turns 45 next week and was trying to become the second-oldest heavyweight champion.

Fighting before a home crowd, Ibragimov improved his record to 22 wins and one draw with a slick, counter-punching display. Holyfield dropped to 42-9 with two draws.

The sparse crowd at Khodynka Arena chanted "Sultan! Sultan!" near the end of the bout, with the fighters embracing at the final bell. There were no knockdowns in the 12-round bout, which was scored 118-110, 117-111 and 117-111 by the judges.

"It was a great fight. He got the decision and I have to go back to the drawing board," Holyfield said. "He's a left-handed fighter, and moves a lot. I did the best that I could with the style that he had."

Ibragimov, a 32-year-old Russian, will now try and unify a fractured division. The other heavyweight titles are held by Wladimir Klitschko (IBF), Ruslan Chagaev (WBA) and recently declared champion Samuel Peter (WBC).

George Foreman became the oldest heavyweight champ at 45 and 300 days when he knocked out Michael Moorer to win the WBA and IBF titles in 1994.

This was Holyfield's 23rd title bout in a 20-year heavyweight career. In title fights, he beat James "Buster" Douglas (IBF, WBA and WBC) in 1990, Mike Tyson (WBA) in 1996, Michael Moorer (IBF) in 1997 and John Ruiz (WBA) in 2000.

Holyfield's license to fight in New York was suspended after he was outpointed by Larry Donald in 2004 for his third consecutive defeat. But he underwent surgery on both shoulders and won four straight fights in 2006-07 in Texas to receive another chance when Chagaev withdrew after contracting hepatitis.

"The most important thing is I showed improvement and adjustment," Holyfield said. "At the time when they did take my license, both my shoulders were injured. Today, they were no problem."

Holyfield needed a knockout as the last round started. But on the odd occasion he trapped Ibragimov on the ropes to throw left and right hooks, the Russian would tie him up in a clinch.

A round earlier, Holyfield slipped as he threw a wild haymaker, the referee ruling no knockdown. Ibragimov stayed out of trouble, dancing in and out to land a jab or two as Holyfield stalked him.

The fight began with both fighters feeling each other out, although Holyfield looked happy to tie up Ibragimov to offset his superior hand speed. It also appeared Holyfield accidentally butted Ibragimov's nose.

In the next round. Holyfield rocked Ibragimov with a heavy right and caught him with a glancing left hook. The fighters exchanged stares and words at the bell.

Holyfield was the early aggressor, looking for any chance to unleash his left hook. But Ibragimov clearly took the third round while fighting off his back foot. Holyfield continued to track Ibragimov around the ring, trying to land his right but wary of his opponent.

Ibragimov took more initiative in the fifth and landed the cleaner punches, but he still got caught with a straight right, left hook combination. Trainer Jeff Mayweather attended to the Russian's nose after the bell.

Ibragimov's snaking jab allowed him to circle the ring, forcing Holyfield to rush and try to get closer. But that only meant his well-regarded chin took a couple of straight lefts.

In the seventh, Holyfield's legs buckled after he caught a punch on the chin. But he came back with a flurry of blows before Ibragimov landed a wild right hook to win the round easily.

Ibragimov's faster hands and feet kept him ahead on the scorecards. But his chin withstood an overhand right from Holyfield, and his compact, southpaw combinations helped him regain his poise.

A succession of left rips to the body staggered Holyfield in the 10th round and brought the crowd to its feet. Holyfield crumpled as Ibragimov chased him round the ring, snapping a couple of jabs to his face. But Holyfield recovered late in the round to land a left-right-left combination.

vCash

Evander Holyfield of the U.S. is knocked down during his bout against WBO heavyweight boxing champion Sultan Ibragimov of Russia in Moscow October 13, 2007. REUTERS/Denis Sinyakov (RUSSIA)
    Reuters

vCash

WBO heavyweight boxing champion Sultan Ibragimov (R) of Russia delivers a blow to the head of Evander Holyfield of the U.S. during their WBO heavyweight bout in Moscow October 13, 2007. REUTERS/Grigory Dukor (RUSSIA)
    Reuters

Administrator
    vCash

There were no knockdowns in the 12-round bout,
    Evander Holyfield of the U.S. is knocked down during his bout against WBO heavyweight boxing champion Sultan Ibragimov of Russia
    ?

vCash

It appears Holyfield lost a near shut out in classic form to a fighter he would have beaten easily in his prime. Sad.

The enigma of Holyfield is unlike so many befoe him whose careers deteriorated in this manner, he still has quite a bit of money. In addition, we all know he will keep fighting. It would all be fine if it were not for the fact that this is a very dangeruos sport and all the punches are taking their toll.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    ?
    Those're not my words even if I posted them. Do you not see "REUTERS" under the photos?

Administrator
    vCash

The "?" is directed toward anyone who actually watched the fight.

Banned
    vCash

According to reports, Evander missed a wild shot late in the fight (around the tenth, I think) and slipped to the deck. The referee accurately called it no knockdown, and that's probably when the mislabeled photo was snapped. PeteLeo.

vCash

ENOUGH!

greg

Administrator
    vCash

The fight was a rerun of all the other fights Holy had when he faced top 10 heavies in the past 5 years, he was never in the fight. Sultan certainly didn't take any chances. He could have got Holy out of there if he pressed the action IMO but it was apparent he did not want to be the guy who would make Holy a 5 time champion. Repaired shoulder or not, Holy has not been able to hit a moving target for years now.

vCash

Holyfield needs to get out now because like so many here have stated,his ending will be tragic.Even his name recognition couldn't draw interest in this fight.This also shows you how far the heavyweight division has fallen.Does anyone inside the US really care anymore?Can you blame us?The mainstream interest in boxing now rates below poker playing,bull riding and beach volleyball.Thank you Arum,King and the rest for taking the sport off network TV,putting any unconsequential fight on pay per view and killing the sport.Now you have a very exciting fighter in Pavlik who if marketed right could help bring boxing out of it's doldrums but I'm sure Arum won't take advantage.I'm sorry but HBO is NOT the networks.

vCash

I worry that it may already be too late for Evander regarding him having a healthy post boxing life..... you have to wonder if he's playing with a full deck when he keeps banging on about becoming undisputed champion again!.
    More should be done to save fighters like him from themselves, its a very depressing buisness really....
    As for Pavlik I love the guy but think he's been pushed too for too fast and he is not going to hold on to the belt for too long.... hope I'm wrong though as we need an exciting middleweight champion for a change!...

vCash

Unfortunately, the whole trend in American society is toward self-determinism and away from the "nanny state." After all, aren't we all the captains of our fate? Individualism will push many more fighters like Holyfield into post-career palookahood. This is very sad.

Administrator
    vCash

Well if Holy stays around enough maybe he'll be given a title like Peter. That's about the best chance he has. It's certainly not the last time a belt will be won outside the ring.

Administrator
    vCash

Holyfield had some new, refreshing things to say after the one-sided loss:

"I'm planning to continue my career. My goal is to be an undisputed heavyweight champion of the world once again."

Administrator
    vCash

Is there a form of dementia that causes those that are afflicted to repeat themselves incessantly?

vCash

He really is nuts.

vCash

Call me crazy but I think Holyfield stands a chance against Sam Peter.Peter is no slickster and is very limited mobility wise.He will stand in front of anyone.Very crude.Peter is the only top tier heavy Holyfield has a chance against.McCline exposed his chin to uppercuts.
    Evander should be retired and for him to think he had a chance against someone with good movement like Igragimov was delusional.He should have gone after Peter.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OMG65
    Call me crazy but I think Holyfield stands a chance against Sam Peter.Peter is no slickster and is very limited mobility wise.He will stand in front of anyone.Very crude.Peter is the only top tier heavy Holyfield has a chance against.McCline exposed his chin to uppercuts.
    Evander should be retired and for him to think he had a chance against someone with good movement like Igragimov was delusional.He should have gone after Peter.

Sorry, but that is a crazy statement, at this point Peter even with all his technical deficiencies, would batter Evander, he's just too big and strong.... look what he did to Toney and what Toney did to Evander and that will give you some idea.... I'm afraid Evander will carry on till he's carried out....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by fatcity
    Sorry, but that is a crazy statement, at this point Peter even with all his technical deficiencies, would batter Evander, he's just too big and strong.... look what he did to Toney and what Toney did to Evander and that will give you some idea.... I'm afraid Evander will carry on till he's carried out....
    But Jameel McCline????
    Actually the Toney comparison gives me no idea.
    To think that Peter fought the same James Toney that Holyfield fought is equally as crazy.The lighter Toney that fought Holyfield would have battered Peter just as badly IMO.

Administrator
    vCash

Peter still crushed Evander. This Evander is way to hittable, especially for the second or third punch. Peter would put him in a coma.

Administrator
    vCash

Jameel McCline would crush Evander, and put him in another coma.

vCash

In my opinion, if Holyfield can get into a remnant of the shape he was in the past, I think he outboxes and wins a clear decision going away over McCline.

Peter, at this stage, would be very rough. However, I think the Holyfield of Tyson I schools and possibly even stops Peter dead in his tracks.

Just my thoughts,

Juan

vCash

I saw the fight, and Evander looked OK for his age. The style and the fact that Sultan basically stunk out the joint was what held Holy back. He still landed 9/10 of the hardest punches of the fight. In fact, Holyfield barely got hit at all.

I don't worry about his safety in the way that people did for Ali at the end because Holyfield isn't fighting killers like Ali was, and he's not getting hit in his comeback. Ali's whole style at the time, in the gym and in the ring was to get the shit kicked out of him, and come back.

And enough with the "tarnishing his legacy" stuff. Has that really ever been true?

Duran....Robinson....Ali....

Is anything lost?

Holyfield CAN still beat relevant heavyweights today. I have no doubt about that. He just needs a willing dance partner. No more cutish, non-engaging opponents.

Gimme Tua, Mollo, Brewster, Peter, McCall....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast