Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EZ Board

GorDoom

EZ Board

I don't know if my reply to Dan Gunter goth through below so I'll try again. Yes, of course I've reported it & have talked to the head guy at EZ.

He told me so far only 8000 of the half million boards they have are recoverable. He didn't know if we were one of them. That gives us a less than 1% chance of getting it back.

I'm going to talk to him again tomorrow & I will of course stay on top of this situation.

GorDoom

thumper3852
    Thank you for your good work....I would suggest that as soon as we all can do so...to begin again with threads and posts....you can't be beat if you won't quit!

kikibalt
    is it working yet?

GorDoom
    Do you see are thousands of posts back? No, it isn't & it's going to be a while.

GorDoom

theironbar
    We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to make it better... bigger... stronger... Well, at least better and bigger...

GorDoom
    No man, the stuff we lost is irreplacable. An oral history of boxing with stuff your never going to be able to find in a library or old newspapers. This is a complete disaster for this board.

For instance here are just 3 examples: Hap Navarro's history of California boxing which went all the way back to the 30's. There were almost 1,500 posts on just that thread. 2 other examples are Gato Gonzales' & Ron Lipton's thread over 2 thousand post of invaluable boxing history.

& for now it looks like it's all gone. I'm so fucking pissed!

GorDoom

kikibalt
    I do not see any of the posts back i was just trying to see if it was back to working,i'm sorry if i got you pissed off

Frank baltazar sr.

Roberto Aqui

Hackers

Hope those hackers hack their way into Hell. Boxing Central is still down from being hacked a few weeks back.

I'm surprised y'all didn't back up the board periodically. I don't know what to say other than there are some evil vicious folks roaming every corner of this planet. Like the leader of the Taliban said before blowing up the giant Buddha statue carved into an Afghanistan mountain: [[[It took craftsmen and artists two centuries to build this. It will only take us a couple of days to blow it up.]]]

Good luck, and maybe they will figure out a way to recover it.

GorDoom

Re: Hackers

Kikibalt:

I apologise for my abrupt response I'm just in a bad mood as you can imagine. But you didn't deserve me snapping at you like that so I am sorry.

Roberto:

EZ Board has it set up so you can't back their boards up. Believe me we've tried in the past with no sucess. When we start up again we are definiely moving outta here

GorDoom

kikibalt

think notthing of it every think is cool

Frank Baltazar sr.

Decagon

All I can offer is my sincerest condolences towards your/our loss.

I don't know who did the hacking, but I've had some of my favorite boards hacked before. It's very disturbing, but the internet is not safe, and nothing you post on the internet is permanent. Think of it as a photograph of your son that you print out on paper.

When one board on which I posted was hacked, I lost over 100 pages of stuff I'd written (50,000+ words). That was four years ago. Since then, I've kept everything that I might want in the future backed up. And still, I lost more of it to a virus.

I'm a teacher and technical writer by trade; I'm a columnist for www.wrestleline.com and I've written for www.insidefighting and several other sites over the years. If we can't get the forum back, I'll do whatever I can to write for the forum and to put it back on the map.

Rafael

This was not a hacker attack against the CBZ. Right? It sounds like it was an EZBOARD wide attack.

walsh b

It's very unfortunate but I guess that is the risk the internet poses, ultimately nohing is ever completely safe. Some scum always find a way to cause mayhem...just keep plugging away CBZ, you can only try your best and at least we'll have the memories, nobody can take them....

Todd Hodgson

\

Exactly, Rafael. Knitting forums, cancer-treatment forums, hockey forums...all wiped out. They didn't target boxing.

According to an e-mail from the EZboard CEO, the hackers also nuked the backups—which for some reason the good folks at EZboard apparently also kept online?? (Sort of defeats the purpose of a BACKUP, no?) Who knows.

Juan C Ayllon

Disturbing, But...

If it's true, that's a shame that their backups were online. Perhaps their backups were there onsite, but were accessed via clever programming? Not being overly bright in matters technical, I wouldn't know.

Speaking of life being insecure, one of my friends emailed me yesterday and told me that her condo had been burglarized the night before. As a result, some of her jewelry disappeared and her cat was missing.

The latter prompted me to tell her, "No doubt a cat burglar is on the loose!"

All kidding aside, what was particularly sobering was that her teenage daughter was at home asleep when the burglar sifted through their stuff. My friend noted that it was probably a good thing her daughter did not wake up and that she herself was at work later than usual, suggesting to her that some Divine intervention was at play in the midst of the chaos.

As disturbing as the situation is here at the CBZ--and certainly not to downplay the loss--we still can connect with one another, rebuild and move on. Like someone else here suggested, no one can take away the memories, either.

By the way, I haven't checked the other parts of the CBZ, but our News page is still up and running. Curious? Check out the link below or click on the "News" link at the top of the page:

CBZ Newswire

Bottom line, despite whatever losses we may sustain, I am confident that the Cyber Boxing Zone will go on valiantly doing what it always has done, providing an excellent forum for thinking boxing fans to post, to challenge and to edify one another.

Best regards,

Juan C. Ayllon

Newpoppop

Hackers

I just have to say that this kind of senseless crap pisses me off to no end. I want to thank everyone who worked so hard to establish and maintain what I consider to be the absolute best Boxing Bulletin Board in existence. I truly hope that it can be recovered. Hats off also to all the contributing posters who are much more knowledgeable than me.

AEP2

Hoping for the Best

Just wanted to add my moral support and hope everything is returned to the way it was and the hackers caught and prosecuted. Otherwise, I would see the loss of the archives as invaluable. Yes, we can rebuild but you can't recreate what once was.

DscribeDC

sad

At the risk of inflaming bad feelings, I think what people say about the Internet being unsafe is too true. It's all so ephemeral. In the future, people should consider these forums to be like writing on the bathroom wall, temporary amusement. If it's something you want to save for the ages, back it up in a safe place. This is no place to put archival materials. A very hard-earned, but important lesson on like in the Info Age.

DscribeDC

another note

Given that EZ Board was more concerned with maximizing revenue and signing up "gold members" than investing in infrastructure, now would probably be a good juncture to make some inquiries of the ISP where the rest of the CBZ is kept, to see what protections they have in place. If they are asleep at the switch, like EZB, the next attack could be much much worse for the site.

GorDoom

Re: another note

The CBZ itself is on a completely different server. They have backups but we also have our own backups. So if anything ever happened to it we could restore it right away.

EZ Board however is set up so you can't back up the material which sucks. We've tried in the past to back up this forum but because of EZ Board's set up we were always unsuccesful.

On a personal note I want to thank you all for you kind support during this crisis. It means more to me than you guys could ever know.

regards,

GorDoom

theironbar

I guess no one got my quote from the "6 Million Dollar Man"?

I only joined the CBZ a few weeks ago... It's the one message board I'm a member of... It's great to be around people who as passionate and informed about boxing as I am... As for rebuilding... I'm going to message my boxing buddies in Toronto and beyond about the CBZ... I'm going to tell them to join and start posting... Of course it's a shame to lose all that wonderful info and see those articles and threads lost... But from the ashes...

StingerKarl

Keep swinging, Bucket.
    I thought it was pretty cool under "Yahoo!" movies for Cinderella Man they had a link to Braddock's record here. Never was a fan of his style; but he was good for his day. Talk about being in the right place at the right time; but it was Baer's fault. He blew a fight he should have won easily by not training and partying with the gals. I hope this picture dosen't make Maxie out to be a villain; because he certainly was not. If anything-he really hated hitting on people-it was just something he was good at. The death of Frankie Campbell destroyed him emotionally; and he always put up a clowning and funny front so he wouldn't have to deal with it. The deaths of Campbell and Schaff haunted him till his dying day at only 50. The guy tried unsuccessfully to drink and party away the pain in his heart from that. He was actually a pretty gentle fellow in real life. I ran into Max Baer Jr in the 90's in Vegas and he told me just that. Hope that took your mind off this problem for awhile.
    Karl

theironbar

What a great post -- made me smile Karl!

One my problems with being a devoted boxing fan, perhaps like so many of us here, is that I have a few all-time favourite fighters (Jimmy McLarnin, Randolph Turpin, Roberto Duran), but when a big scrap comes up these days, if you know any of the boxers' backstories, there are no villains... For all his cockiness, there was still something I liked about Antonio Tarver, and as for Glen Johnson, well, the man's bio speaks for itself...

In Cinderella Man, the easy/cheesy way would be to paint Max Baer the villain, and from everything I've read, he sure as hell wasn't... I'll be interested to see the flick and watch what happens... but for now, damn those previews make the hairs on my neck stand on end!

Punchdrunk

ez

Been a little busy lately and logged on to find out about this disaster. I hope the folks at ez board find a better way. To all the fine gentlemen, Gordoom, Mike, et all, please keep the faith, as you guys provide the only sane source of boxing info on the net. It is truely a lifeline for the boxing junkie. But, that said, I'm pissed too!
    Gary

wildhawke11

Re: ez

No man, the stuff we lost is irreplacable. An oral history of boxing with stuff your never going to be able to find in a library or old newspapers. This is a complete disaster for this board.

For instance here are just 3 examples: Hap Navarro's history of California boxing which went all the way back to the 30's. There were almost 1,500 posts on just that thread. 2 other examples are Gato Gonzales' & Ron Lipton's thread over 2 thousand post of invaluable boxing history.

& for now it looks like it's all gone. I'm so fucking pissed!

GorDoom

Gordoom is 100% right we can kid ourselves that we can start afresh and make this board even better. A little bit like a retired ex champion trying to make a comeback but deep down in his heart he knows he aint got it anymore.

No Guys i am not trying to depress us all just being very honest and we all know its true. Having said that we now have to put it all behind us and move on and make the best of what we have got still, and that is we still have the best bunch of guys that any boxing board could have.

Team Cyberzone down but far from out. We dont quit that easy.
    &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

StingerKarl

Well put, bro.
    I told a tabloid trash boxing site I used to work for to stick it because of their disrespectful posts towards current and former fighters. Little computer nerds that lack the courage to get in the ring themselves taking cheap shots at real men-real athletes that lay their life on the line. This site is the best as far as respecting fighters goes. I was so pissed about this initially I told Juan- my first inclination was to think they had something to do with this dastardly deed. This site will be for the better I think-for real. With the release of "Cinderella Man"; perhaps this is really the dawn of a new beginning, huh? As Charles Bronson said as "Chaney" in "Hard Times"..."Things have a way of coming around".
    Karl

theironbar

Jay-sus -- an old champ trying to make a comeback? Kidding ourselves? We ain't got it anymore? Speak for yourself, sir! If you don't have the bottom to make something better, I sure as hell do...

I already messaged all the boxing fans I know, my old man, and a few of the old timers (sorry Norman, one of them is you) in the UK... They'll join and they'll spread the word... Ever heard of Ted Lewis? Jack Berg? You want first hand history of East End Jewish boxers? It's coming... How about some perspectives from just about every expat-Nigerian in Toronto... Man, those guys are GREAT boxing fans! You'll get that too... Blimey -- you want those histories you lost back? Get back to it then! You say you can't? They're irreplaceable? Find a way...

I hope the rest of my fellow members e-mail their friends -- spread the word -- and tell them that this is a great message board! It's the people that drew me to this board in the first place... the ideas... the dialogue... Sure it was great having access to all that wonderful information but it doesn't mean a thing without someone to talk about it with...

There are many great boxing fans that aren't members of this board -- yet! So sure -- feel like crap for now -- I just got the biggest setback in my business 2 weeks ago -- a business I have been building from scratch for the last seven years, trying to do things my way and then... bust... I felt awful for a day, then I said, OK, what can I do to fix this? And the next day, I started... I want to make this board bigger and better, and you believe we can't? You think everything good and great has already been said about boxing on this site? What a bloody insult!

Wait... before I get too indignant, let me reference a few (edited) words from Shakerspeare's Henry V, undermanned, outmanoevered and exhausted, rallying the troops for his epic confrontation with the French:

WESTMORELAND: O that we now had here
    But one ten thousand of those men in England
    That do no work to-day!

KING. What's he that wishes so?
    My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
    If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
    To do our country loss; and if to live,
    The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
    God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
    O, do not wish one more!
    Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
    That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
    Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
    And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
    We would not die in that man's company
    That fears his fellowship to die with us.
    This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
    He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
    And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
    Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
    But he'll remember, with advantages,
    What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
    Familiar in his mouth as household words-
    Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
    Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
    Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
    This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remembered-
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

This is usually something I only use in desperate situations, but I think it might be apt nonetheless...

So get to work -- spread the word...

-Peter

GorDoom

Love that quote from Bronson, Karl. Good stuff! & I forget which poster said it but it was something about how we truly respect fighters here ..

Damn right!

& Ironbar also good stuff! I see that you are actually new to the board, so welcome aboard the ship on the shoals. I've found your encouragement very gratifying - & damn! Yeats & Shakesperae onna boxing thread ...

Who woulda thunk it?

But unfortunately I agree with Danny Wildhawke completely. The last couple of days I have felt like an old fighter trying to make a comback.

But comeback we will. It will never be the same but that doesn't mean we still can't remake it into a great board.

As to Jackie "Kid" Berg (one of my personal all time faves), Ted "Kid" Lewis & other great UK & Irish fighters ... Too bad you didn't get here sooner we were replete with threads & tales of those greats.

GorDoom

theironbar

All apologies to Danny W. then for being the apparent object of my rant... Anything I can do to help rebuild, just ask... I do like the idea of spreading the "Gospel" though -- the more members, the better (I presume)...

GorDoom

Everybody is welcome on this board as long as they don't act like A-holes. Vehement discussions & arguments are fine. It's when people start hurling personal insults at each other that they cross the line.

I'll give one warning & if they persist I bounce their asses outta here.

As I've written before this is not a Work-Out Your-Personal-Issues board. It's a boxing board & flame wars are not tolerated. Boxing is a passionate sport with passionate fans but their is no reason they can't be civilized.

But yes, Ironbar, the more members the better as far as I'm concerned. & btw: our beloved Danny W. is also a feisty Irishman. I'm sure you will both have some interesting dialogues in the future!

GorDoom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast