Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paul Williams vs. the Greats

vCash

Paul Williams vs. the Greats

Hey, if it wasn't me doin' it tongue and cheek, for sure someone would try this for real.

Punisher vs the Real Hitman: Hearns by decapitation in round two.

Punisher vs Ray Leonard: two fights, two deaths, Leonard KO3.

Do I need to go on?

The moral of the story is lets's see this kid for at least half a decade at the top level and start speculative evaluation then. Please.

Banned
    vCash

I like this idea Husk!

When someone else enventually wants to do this subject, which should be by all accounts, Thursday or Friday at the latest, we now can say: No Need for this thread. The subjects already been covered.

Brilliant "cut off at the pass" move Husk.

Brilliant.

Hawk

vCash

Re: Paul Williams vs. the Greats

I keep tellin' ya bud, the sun shines on every dog's ass once in awhile. I was actually thinking I was going to be too late considering how fast Hatton and Cotto were paired with the masters seconds after recent wins.

Banned
    vCash

Ya got me thinking here Husk

Given that Wlad, Cotto, Williams, Hatton are ALL coming off of Impressive wins RIGHT NOW, one could make an arguement that along with those 4 and the fact that Mayweather, Manny, Bernard, Marco and Juan Manuel are all active pound for pound entrants and we still have Oscar churning up a Pay per view event when he wants to, that at THIS moment, this may be the greatest era in Boxing ever.

THink of the arguements for it.

Great HOF fighters AND fighters coming off of Impressive wins. We live in a "what have you done for me lately" world. ANd this is the moment everyone to jump up and shout, Ain't boxing great?

Seriously, given the above mentioned 4 ARE coming off of nice performances, it IS a nice shot in the arm for the sport. But let's see some consistancy.

When the early 80's were sporting names like Leonard, Holmes, Hagler, Duran, Spinks, Sanchez, Pedroza, Pryor, Arguello, Hearns, Qawi, Saad, Benitez, Chandler, Pintor, Gomez and Laciar, you didn't really have these "they better be coming off of an impressive performance, else no one will think a whole lot of them" fighters that unfortunately we see all too much of now.

Make no mistake: there WERE fighters like that. But they weren't the fightes who were the foundation for being among the top fighters in the game.

It just seemed like there was less knee jerking about fighters in the past. There was a need to see them perform at a certain level over a period of time and agianst quality top flight opp, BEFORE the talk ever started with comparing them with the All Time Greats.

Larry Holmes had 10 successful title defenses under his belt before International Boxing did a feature on him paring him with the all time greats. And that still almost seemed a bit premature.

I hear talk about Miguel Cotto vs. Thomas Hearns?

Can you imagine talk of Thomas Hearns vs. Napoles or Griffith or Rodriguez or Basilio, to say nothing of Robinson, RIGHT off of his win over Cuevas?

It's absurd.

Relax folks. If fighters are indeed worthy of this topic, they will be around for a while to prove that. And if they aren't, then they should never have been in the conversation in the first place.

Hawk

vCash

I have a feeling this might be pertinent again soon.

Hawk: great analogy above.

vCash

Paul Williams is a good fighter by todays standards, but he should be thankful that he did not come along along in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I won't even get to the all-time greats such as Robinson, Armstrong, Leonard, Hearns, etc. He would have a hard time getting by Donald Curry, Starling, Duran, and other champs. Paul Williams is a good fighter, but IMO, fighters from the 70s and 80s might have sanked his battleship.

vCash

The juries still out on PAUL ! It will be very interesting to watch his future fights at 154 ,160 ,EVEN 168 lbs. His size ,reach and ability to trade in the pocket has deterred many. As he continues to mature as a fighter , he should evolve into a force in this ERA, But at this time in his carreer , NO ,he would be just another opponent for any of the greats at 147lbs!

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Are you fucking kidding me?????????????????????????????????????????!!!

You guys are pathtic.... To even consider Williams v. the greats????????

Newer is hardly ever better. Look at some film for for God's sake!

GorDoom

vCash

In addition to all that, other contenders like Pete Ranzany and Bruce Finch would give him hell. Lupe Aquino, Colin Jones, Cuevas, Palamino, Simon Brown, etc. How do you all think Williams style would work against Mugabi, Norris, and Benitez? I know this is at the jr.middle/middleweight level. But the point is we are not even sure Williams is the best at his current weight or even at welterweight vs. Mosley, never mind against the all time greats. Sooner or Later, Williams needs to show us how he will do against an elite puncher. Pressure, body punching, and power could defeat Williams. In other words.....he still has much, much more work to do.

vCash

Who has he ever beat to be mentioned in the same breath w/the great welters of the past? Margarito? Give me a break.

Lets see where he is 5-6 years from now.

vCash

Check the date of the opening post.

The thread starter was posted the night Williams outlasted Margarito and was completely facetious (sp.) other than the predictions. I was expecting an onslaught of Williams beating everyone just as we've seen most recently after Pac crushed Hatton.

I only bumped it due to some comments about Paul in the modern section.

For the record, I hope he does turn into an all-timer, I really, really do. I doubt it but I hope.

vCash

Well, Paul did totally dominate Wright and Wright is a great fighter who deserves to be mentioned alongside the Curry's and Brown's of the past. So, Wright was past his peak, but Paul showed this by thoroughly dominating him. Paul has had some lame affairs, but he is starting to really mature and shine and I think he'd be a handful for many names
    mentioned here. Why don't we focus on his assets and strengths?

vCash

Bump.

vCash

Wright was past his peak>>

just read this. wright was also inactive almost 2 years

vCash

Williams lasts about two to three rds with Hearns and Leonard.

vCash

walsh,

comparing your last two posts on this thread proves the old maxim ....."your only as good as your last fight".

greg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gregbeyer
    walsh,

comparing your last two posts on this thread proves the old maxim ....."your only as good as your last fight".

greg
    Greg, spot on.

BTW, I did realise when I posted that my first post was there. I was waiting on someone to pull me on it. Damn attention seeker.

Hope you are busy sourcing my January Ring Magazine....Not long now before Khan wipes Maidana...

+ Reply to Thread