Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michael Vick Indicted On Dog Fighting Charges Today 7/18/07

vCash

Re: Michael Vick Indicted On Dog Fighting Charges Today 7/18/07

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Aqui
    C'mon now, the first dogs bred for fighting each other were Staffordshire Bull Terriors and English Bull Terriors, derived from crossing the English Bulldog w/English Terriors.

Certainly the Irish have had a hand in dog fighting, but it evolved as an English sport.
    Spot on Roberto...I would have thought it was pretty obvious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_fighting

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Nothing personal but I find dog fighting refered to as a "sport" really repugnant.

GorDoom

vCash

Was thinking exactly the same thing Gor!!!!!

vCash

I should have couched my Irish comment by stating that I myself am Irish. Funny I say it is not a race issue and then I make a racial statement.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bomma
    I should have couched my Irish comment by stating that I myself am Irish. Funny I say it is not a race issue and then I make a racial statement.
    I am Irish too and I don't think you made a racist comment. You made an inaccurate comment, but this does not mean it was racist. Dog fighting or the contemporary version had to start somewhere and it happened to be England, as does a lot of things.

vCash

What I meant to say is that the Pit Bull which is the dog that Vick was breading was probably brought to this country by the Irish. My comment was racist in the sense that I said in my post this story has nothing to do with race and then the next point I make as to point out the race who started it. Pretty funny actually. It wasn't racist in the insulting sense but I basically chastised people for even bringing up race and then like a jackass I do the same thing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bomma
    What I meant to say is that the Pit Bull which is the dog that Vick was breading was probably brought to this country by the Irish. My comment was racist in the sense that I said in my post this story has nothing to do with race and then the next point I make as to point out the race who started it. Pretty funny actually. It wasn't racist in the insulting sense but I basically chastised people for even bringing up race and then like a jackass I do the same thing.
    You hit the nail on the head. It WAS NOT racist in the insulting way!! I agree fully

vCash

Prime enablers of Athletes Behaving Badly, Nike, have suspended the release of Vick the Hick's new shoe line. No doubt they have reached the conclusion, as all Vick's sponsors soon will, that this guy couldn't sell hair spray to Donald Trump...

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Just hear on ESPN that the NFL is trying to convince Vick to voluntarily take the '07 season off with pay. With pay??? Any other job they wouldn't ask you they would just fire your ass.

Why is Pacman summarily suspended for the season yet they are treating a scumbag like Vick with kid gloves?

GorDoom

vCash

Pacman is a "repeat offender" and this is Tricky Vicky's first offense. Fire his ass? Think the NFLPA would stand for that? He will sit out '07, get convicted, then be quietly cut while waiting for his appeal to be heard. He will resurface managing a foot locker store in Dumfries, VA.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

"He will resurface managing a foot locker store in Dumfries, VA."

LOL!!! But I actually think that's too good a fate for him. My fondest hope is that this blows back on Roy Jones & maybe those two scumbags can share a cell together.

GorDoom

mike

agreed above. only a sadist and or psyhopath could participate willinging in such a thing--one look at it --speaks for itself. these people --,if possible--would do it to people, a sadist is a sadist whom enjoy the weaker and more vulnerable. but, i do wish history did not always repeat itself with such viciuos regularity-- but thats another story; these two deserve each other, i guess. damn --it is revolting

Roberto Aqui

Here's what Roy had to say in a Newsday interview:

"People tend to talk so hard against people. They make it such a bad thing, like dog fighting is worse than killing someone. I'm not a dog fighter. I've never been to a dog fight. But just because they have the animals doesn't mean they are fighting the animals. Michael Vick doesn't have that kind of time to train and raise dogs... I like bulldogs and I like their mentally. They are making this so bad, but really two dogs fighting can happen in anyone's backyard or on the street. It happened in my backyard, two of my dogs fought and one died."

Now, Iceman Scully is supposed to be friends with Roy. Maybe he can fill in some details.

I don't know the size of Roy's dog breeding operation, but when a dog breeder sells a retriever, he expects some to be competed in field trials. When he sells a doberman or shepard, he expects some to be trained as guard dogs. When he sells a poodle, he expects some, if not most to be pampered at poodle parlours.

Now, it is true that not many dachshunds are sold to be used to hunt badgers, and not many wolfhounds are sold to hunt wolves, so care should be used in passing judgement on Roy, though I suspect he's peeked at a few dog and cock fights.

Vick? His judgement comes with a jury. He is or he ain't.

vCash

I love people how buy a pit bull and say they are going to train it to be nice. 2000 years of breeding to make them mean, and in one generation people think they can change them? Want a nice dog buy a nice breed . Want a fighting dog buy a mean breed.

vCash

"People tend to talk so hard against people. They make it such a bad thing, like dog fighting is worse than killing someone. I'm not a dog fighter. I've never been to a dog fight. But just because they have the animals doesn't mean they are fighting the animals. Michael Vick doesn't have that kind of time to train and raise dogs... I like bulldogs and I like their mentally. They are making this so bad, but really two dogs fighting can happen in anyone's backyard or on the street. It happened in my backyard, two of my dogs fought and one died."

Now, Iceman Scully is supposed to be friends with Roy. Maybe he can fill in some details.

I don't know the size of Roy's dog breeding operation, but when a dog breeder sells a retriever, he expects some to be competed in field trials. When he sells a doberman or shepard, he expects some to be trained as guard dogs. When he sells a poodle, he expects some, if not most to be pampered at poodle parlours.

Now, it is true that not many dachshunds are sold to be used to hunt badgers, and not many wolfhounds are sold to hunt wolves, so care should be used in passing judgement on Roy, though I suspect he's peeked at a few dog and cock fights.

Yup, it can happen in a backyard. And it can happen in a backyard compound dedicated to dogfighting too. I mean, shit, dogs can get electrocuted anywhere, right? Just wait for the next thunderstorm and see what happens. Maybe Ol' Roy is right...Mr. Vick is just getting a bum rap...

Banned
    vCash

I think

There is one reason and ONLY one reason Jones felt the need to come to Vicks defense here. Given the fact he's not a lawyer, we know it's not from a letigious standpoint. So why take the position he did?

If there were doubts before about Jones' involvement and condoning dog fighting, I think that doubt has been removed.

Hawk

vCash

Good god he's dumb.

vCash

Vick ordered to stay away from training camp
    NFL Commissioner Goodell tells Falcons quarterback not to report until the league reviews the dogfighting charges against him.
    By Lance Pugmire, Times Staff Writer
    July 24, 2007

The NFL on Monday ordered Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick to stay away from the team's training camp until the league reviews the federal dogfighting charges against him.

In a letter written by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, the quarterback was told, "While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the personal conduct policy."

Vick was not immediately available for comment Monday, and telephone messages left late Monday night for his attorney in Virginia were not returned. The Falcons scheduled a news conference today to discuss the league's stance.

The Falcons open training camp in Flowery Branch, Ga., on Thursday, the same day Vick, 27, is scheduled to appear inside a U.S. District courtroom in Richmond, Va. Attorneys are expected to decide at the hearing whether they will request a jury trial or a bench trial heard by a federal judge.

Vick, the league's former No. 1 overall draft pick from Virginia Tech who directed the Falcons to the NFC championship game in 2005, was indicted by a federal grand jury last week. The charges allege he was a central figure with three others who violated laws against dogfighting and gambling while operating Bad Newz Kennels on property Vick owns in Surry, Va.

The indictment alleged pit bulls that didn't fare well in fights were executed by hanging, drowning, electrocution, shooting and beating. Vick faces a maximum sentence of six years in prison and $350,000 in fines if convicted.

Vick hasn't publicly discussed the dogfighting case since April, when he denied involvement.

But animal rights groups have railed against the quarterback since the indictment, holding demonstrations such as Monday's in Flowery Branch, where an estimated four dozen people protested in a rally organized by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. They held signs reading "Kick Vick," "Tackle Cruelty" and "Sack Vick!"

"Just because he's famous, he shouldn't get off the hook," said Emory Lewman, 12, of Sandy Springs, Ga. "What he did was terrible."

The Humane Society of the United States said the NFL "rightly recognized that it just cannot be business as usual for Vick and the Falcons with this chilling set of facts laid out in the federal indictment," President and Chief Executive Wayne Pacelle said.

"The NFL has taken an important first step, and it is our sincerest hope that Michael Vick not suit up for play prior to the resolution of these serious charges in federal court."

Vick will still receive preseason pay, and Goodell told the Falcons to withhold any disciplinary action of their own until the league's review was completed.

The NFL said Goodell informed Vick in the letter that "the review would be completed as soon as possible and that Vick's full cooperation is expected."

The commissioner's order came after league sources said last week Goodell wanted Vick to take a paid leave of absence but the quarterback was resisting, saying he wanted to play football.

Because of his legal calendar, Vick could relinquish his job to Falcons backup quarterback Joey Harrington, who has struggled in starting jobs with the Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins.

Goodell's decision follows his crackdown since a string of player arrests subjected the league to criticism for not properly disciplining players who run afoul of the law. Goodell previously suspended Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry and Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tank Johnson for all or part of the 2007 season.

Vick is 'the most high-profile of the NFL's legally troubled players he earned $20 million in salary and endorsements last year. In April, the league summoned the quarterback to the NFL draft as a guest speaker during a tribute to those killed and wounded during the Virginia Tech campus shootings this year.

Since the indictment, Falcons owner Arthur Blank has announced he was "saddened and distressed" by Vick's case, Nike has suspended the release of a new Vick shoe, and Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) has called for the player's immediate suspension.

NFL Players Assn. spokesman Carl Francis declined to comment on Vick. Francis said "it's possible" that the union would issue a statement today.

Times staff writer Greg Johnson and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

lance.pugmire@latimes.com

vCash

I say, let him play football, on the condition that, when he dings himself up, he gets the same treatment he would give a dog who could no longer fight.

vCash

Good Lord, what the hell ever happened to sports figures taking the idea of being a positive role model for kids? All the bullshit currently in the news with Vick, NBA refs on the take, make me never want to spend another dime on a sports event. The idea of putting a dime in a pocket of a pampered, overpaid athlete who only gives a shit about himself makes me feel repulsed. I know it's only a few bad seeds, but somethings have to change. I will be really dissappointed if MV doesn't recieve a lengthy vacation in the grey-bar hotel. Talk about man's imhumanity....
    Gary

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DscribeDC
    I say, let him play football, on the condition that, when he dings himself up, he gets the same treatment he would give a dog who could no longer fight.
    FAIR PLAY!!

vCash

I agree with these dudes

vCash

Or give him seven hours in the pit with a few of his "crew's" champs.

vCash

INHUMANE, INHUMAN CRUELTY??? Oh this is so human. In fact, it's unique to the human species. We can get even worst, we can be more cruel, what's so surprising?

Ever heard of pitbulls fighting bears (teeth, canines, and claws removed from them) to make the fight "even" in Pakistan?

Have you seen footage of live dogs tossed in boiling water in some asian countries as means of killing them for consumption? They claim that this killing method leaves the meat with a better taste, because as the dog is boiling alive adrenaline is rushing through his whole body. WTF??? Think boiling water might leave the meat a little too tough? Well, they also hang them and beat them to death with something resembling a baseball bat with the purpose, of course, of "tenderizing the meat".

The fact that a public figure in the USA got caught in this is type of animal cruelty is more an indication of his stupidity than of his cruelty. And if all turns out to be true, this guy deserves all the punishment he can get.

vCash

Michael Vick Indicted On Dog Fighting Charges Today 7/18/07

Falcons hold off on suspending Vick until NFL completes probe

By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer

ATLANTA (AP) -- Hanging in Arthur Blank's opulent headquarters is a signed photograph of his star quarterback breaking away from a defender, a memento of happier times for the Atlanta Falcons.

"To: Arthur. Thanks for everything. Michael Vick. #7."

Well, it looks as if that picture may soon be coming down.

The Falcons said Tuesday they wanted to suspend Vick over dogfighting allegations, and their owner left open the possibility that the guy who helped sell out Georgia Dome every week, got one of the biggest contracts in NFL history and became the face of the franchise has played his final game for Atlanta.

"This sort of behavior is really horrific," Blank said in the team's first public comment since Vick was indicted last week on federal charges related to dogfighting. "This is not the player or the person that I knew the last six years."

The team already is taking steps to distance itself from Vick. During a luncheon for season-ticket holders earlier in the day, a condensed version of the 2006 highlight film did not show him at all, even though he became the first quarterback in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards.

When the Falcons open training camp Thursday, Vick is scheduled to be in Richmond, Va., for his arraignment. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell barred the quarterback from attending camp while the league looks into the ugly accusations, a compromise worked out by the league, the team and the player's union.

The Falcons wanted to suspend Vick for four games, the stiffest punishment a team can deal out for detrimental conduct. Goodell could hand down a yearlong suspension under the league's new player conduct code.

"We were pursuing the maximum discipline," said Blank, joined at a news conference by general manager Rich McKay and new coach Bobby Petrino. "We had gone so far as to draft the letter. But the commissioner asked us not to take action until they completed their review."

The Falcons considered all options, including the possibility of releasing Vick. Most tellingly, Blank said he would encourage the quarterback to give up any thoughts of playing while the case is pending, even if it means sitting out the entire season.

"This is not about playing football in 2007," Blank said. "This is a very difficult process he'll be going through over the next couple of months. It's very difficult to do that and focus on football at the same time."

Goodell weighed in on Vick's case during a news conference with NFL Players Association chief Gene Upshaw in Washington, where the two discussed an alliance to help former players.

"Let me make it very clear that the National Football League is very disappointed that Michael put himself in this position," Goodell said. "In no way do we think that dogfighting or anything related to dogfighting is acceptable. We think it's despicable, frankly."

As for why he blocked an immediate suspension against Vick, Goodell said the league needed more time to investigate.

"It is very emotional for all of us," he said. "But we have to remember that we are still at a state where these are charges. These are allegations."

Goodell already suspended Adam "Pacman" Jones of the Tennessee Titans for the entire 2007 season. Chris Henry of Cincinnati and former Chicago Bear Tank Johnson were given eight-game suspensions for various run-ins with the law.

Clearly, the Falcons did not want to begin training camp with a quarterback who was under federal indictment. They now consider Joey Harrington the starter and are turning their focus to finding a backup. Vick isn't on the radar.

"We have to go in and prepare like we're going to be without him," Petrino said.

In April, investigators raiding a home owned by Vick in rural Virginia reported finding evidence of dogfighting. At first, he denied any connection to the house, blaming friends and family members for taking advantage of his generosity. Since then, he's refused to comment on the case.

Blank said he was deeply disturbed by the allegations, making a point to say that he counted Vick's name some 50 times in the 18-page indictment. Vick and three associates are accused of killing dogs if they weren't strong enough to fight, with gruesome methods that included hanging, drowning, shooting and electrocution.

"There was no indication, no signs, no whispers that Michael could be involved in any of this kind of behavior," McKay said.

PETA -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals -- and the Humane Society of the United States both praised the Falcons for their willingness to suspend Vick.

"Given Vick's high profile and his position to influence young people, it's imperative that he not don the Falcons uniform and take his place on the field of play until -- and unless -- he can clear himself of these awful accusations," said Wayne Pacelle, president of the Humane Society.

In 2004, the Falcons signed Vick to the richest contract in NFL history at the time, a 10-year extension worth approximately $130 million. At the time, Blank said the deal would allow Vick to play his entire career in Atlanta.

Now, there's a distinct possibility that Vick's career with the Falcons is over, even though the team would take a debilitating salary cap hit over the next two years if he's released. Vick's salary this season is $6 million.

"This is a football team, not a circus," Blank said. "We need to prepare for the season."

AP Sports Writer Howard Fendrich in Washington contributed to this report

vCash

Vick is done, unless Al Davis picks him up.

10i01

I don't know why the fuss in dog fighting. I don't disagree with it. It the same adrenaline rush that people enjoy.

If people from other countries can enjoy, cock fighting, bull fighting, spider fighting etc then why not American (melting pot) integrate a hobby where people would like to enjoy as well? People are just being oh so dramatic these days.

Besides, if people enjoy boxers/mma artist try to decapitate, maim, basically hurt another why not enjoy a fight between inferior beings such as dogs? It so stupid, this anti dog fighting uproar.

Point is, why do people care MORE of dogs fighting than people fighting?

I say, release Vick!

Roberto Aqui

Quote Originally Posted by 10i01
    It so stupid, this anti dog fighting uproar.

Point is, why do people care MORE of dogs fighting than people fighting?

I say, release Vick!
    You might feel differently if a couple of 3 of these dogs got loose and jumped you walking down the street, or worse, ripped up your young child. Obviously you don't feel badly about these things happening to the general public because they do.

There are laws in the US governing people fighting, so "people" do care about people fighting. It's against the law for people to fight in unsanctioned fights w/no rules to the death unless self defense can be proven.

Point is, do you care about anything that matters or do you prefer to live aimlessly in a jungle of anarchy?

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

10/01:

Your statement says a lot more about you than you realise. Are you aware that your the only person on this board condoning Vick's actions?

What do you think that says about you?

Think about it ...

GorDoom

vCash

If Michael Vick were a boxer, he'd listed in the biggest busts of all time. Dogfighting? How about refining his quaterbacking skills? His homeboys and realitives are going to be his downfall even if Vick beats this dogfighting rap. What a damn waste.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast