Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baldomir-Forrest Results & Discussion

vCash

Baldomir-Forrest Results & Discussion

I told Bucket I'd step in if I was watching live...I am...so tonight...former legitimate World welter champions...

Carlos Baldomir (43-10-6, 13 KO, #5 at 147)
    v.
    Vernon Forrest (38-2, 28 KO, #6 at 154)

vCash

Re: Baldomit-Forrest RBR

ROUND ONE

Pretty good first...lots of jab trading...Forrest landed some nice hooks...Baldo landed a couple himself and a decent right...Forrest Round based on sheer numer landed.

Forrest 10-9

vCash

ROUND TWO

Neither landing much clean...Baldo lands a left...Forrest counters inside with three...Baldo gets a push right at the bell...Forrest slightly.

Forrest 20-18

vCash

ROUND THREE

Nasty mouse under Forrest's right eye...Baldo staring to land to the body...nice right over the top...Baldo right...left hook...Wow, big Baldo round.

Forrest 29-28

vCash

ROUND FOUR

Huge Forrest right initiates a violent exchange...great series of exchanges at mid-round with Forrest getting best...head butt and Baldo is shaken...left hand from Forrest STUNS Baldo.

Forrest 39-37

vCash

ROUND FIVE

Much better fight than I expected...I wouldn't even write about this going in...Forrest a countering clinic this round...catching him coming in all round and just blasting...Baldo lands some nice uppers late but not enough to swing the fight...Crowd appropriately applauds.

Forrest 49-46

vCash

ROUND SIX

Forrest outlanding about 4-1...head but stuns Forrest...Forrest hasn't looked this good since Mosley 1...Slower round as Forrest seems to have timed Baldo completely who landed next to nothing.

Forrest 59-55

Roberto Aqui

Forrest is the more talented fighter. Can he keep up the pace at his age?

vCash

ROUND SEVEN

Rinse, repeat...Baldo lands what Forrest lets him on the inside only to get pasted with wicked hooks...Nice exchange in the last twenty seconds, but the rest of the round was really just a pacing bit.

Forrest 69-64

vCash

ROUND EIGHT

Emanuel Steward just said Forrest beats Winky because of his performance against Baldo...um, ok...Baldo just stood in the middle of the ring and watched Forrest circle him...that's called frustration...this has now devolved into the expected...How did this guy lose to Ricardo Mayorga...same as last round with no nasty exchange at the end...HBO shows some Freddie Steel footage and I just got wood.

Forrest 79-73

vCash

ROUND NINE

Baldo was coming on hard and seemed to hurt Forrest...Forrest throws low and loses a point..Great exchange on the ropes and Forrest is on his bike running as Baldo taunts him. Best round of the fight for Baldo and best round of the fight.

Forrest 87-83

vCash

ROUND TEN

Baldo come charging out...Forrest now starting to clinch...trade hooks...LONG right by VF...right by Baldo...another...left VF...trade lefts...Forrest left eye almost closed and he looks tired...tough round to score but Forrest probably edged it on clean shots.

Forrest 97-92

vCash

ROUND ELEVEN

Baldo landing more but Forrest still countering very clean...Fight has ebbed and flowed and been solid professional fighting...fantastic exchange in the last thirty seconds punctuated by a nice Forrest left.

Forrest 107-101

vCash

ROUND TWELVE

Forrest left eye is nasty...Fun final round was the story of the fight...Baldo coming, landing in spots...Forrest countering with sledge shots that make Baldos chin look like the most ridiculous granite ever. Crowd ends on their feet cheering and my hats off to both in a fight few thought would be good...teaches to doubt to recent real world champs.

117-110 Forrest

vCash

Official scores ALL for Forrest huge (but I missed jotting them down exactly; two were 118-109)

Good interview from Forrest...said he had Mayorga flashbacks...said he wasn't calling anyone out after a five month camp, pointed at his eye saying 'look at my face' and they cut to Baldo...

Baldo said some stuff in Spanish...Ray Torres said "He needs water on his balls...and Baldo couldn't cope with Forrest...Baldo said his last fight and that he was going to buy his own feather duster shop." Just kidding.

vCash

That was a pretty good fight.

I gave Bald the first and 9th rounds, but Forrset indeed won the fight. I give it a B. Pretty good fight from both fighters. Its better than DLH Mayweather and Hops Write combine lol.

vCash

Forrest has decent boxing skills, Baldo has none, zip, nada, and he can't punch at all, he was make to order for Forrest, hard to say how far Forrest can go from here, as he is 36 years old, though he fought like a young 36 old man.

vCash

The Bucket called me today and asked "How did these two end up fighting for the vacant WBC belt"? I only laughed and said, hopefully it will be a good fight and leave it at that.

vCash

Credit to Forrest who has made it all the way back from tough injuries however he still looked susceptible to being caught with a short shot after winging his wide punches. These were the shots Mayorga beat him with. Still would want to see him fight again though.

vCash

Bucket, here are the WBC Rankings for 154 lbs.

SUPERWELTERWEIGHT.- (154-69.853)
    CHAMPION: VACANT
    EMERITUS CHAMPION: FLOYD MAYWEATHER Jr. (US)
    WON TITLE:
    LAST DEFENCE:
    LAST COMPULSORY: May 5, 2007
    WBA CHAMPION: Travis Simms (US)
    IBF CHAMPION: Cory Spinks (US)
    WBO CHAMPION: Sergei Dzindziruk (Ukraine)
    Contenders:
    WBC INT. CHAMPION: VACANT

1 .- Oscar De la Hoya (US-Mex)
    2 .- Carlos Baldomir (Argentina)
    3 .- Vernon Forrest (US)
    4 .- Michele Piccirillo (Italy) EBU
    5 .- Sergio Martinez (Argentina) LATINO
    6 .- Kassim Ouma (Uganda)
    7 .- Javier Mamani (Argentina) ABMH/FESUBOX
    8 .- Andrey Tsurkan (Ukraine) NABF
    9 .- Yuri Foreman (Belarussia)
    10 .- Zaur Baysangurov (Russia)
    11 .- Jamie Moore (GB) BBBoC
    12 .- Fernando Vargas (US)
    13 .- Verno Phillips (US)
    14 .- Toshiharu Kaneyama (Japan)

Baldomir is rated #2 on the strength of losing his welterweight title in his last fight. Forrest is ranked 3rd for being unbeaten for the past two years (one fight). Also, you have to admit.... thats a pretty strong lineup of WBC contenders.

vCash

Ridiculous. Especially since Ike Quartey got robbed against Forrest in Vernon's last fight.

vCash

I thought Forrest won the Quartey fight BUT he got caught a lot tonight. Bad sign.

vCash

baldomir is a cave man. solid chin no skill....goodbye. i thought he did get one round on a deduction????

forrest....well this is about all he is going to do IMO.
    greg

vCash

BTW. how did gary shaw end up promoting at the queen? i thought brian halquist was a lock there.
    greg

vCash

Forrest really took Baldo to school, but good God, Baldomir has the chin of early Cro-Magnum Man. Incredible. Vernon started slow but really turned it on in the middle rounds and it was fun to watch. Give Forrest credit . . Baldomir is not skilled but his pressure style and sharp shooting usually makes guys look bad. Not tonight. Even Floyd won his rounds by potshotting and running/holding, not really BOXING which is what Forrest did tonight. 154 has suddenly become a desolate place, so Forrest should have some defenses before age catches up.

Ouma-Forrest anyone? That would be fun.

vCash

I thought Forrest did well as he could against a game , likable Baldomir who is probably the luckiest boxer around to have got so far with a giant head , big heart and mediocre skills.

Forrest might beat Ouma but it would be a tough fight probably better take on a Spinks or De la Hoya and then retire. He is an entertaining boxer .

That Baldomir was able to get to Forrest at all and hurt him a bit doesn't bode well for Forrest , like others have said Baldomir was tailor-made for him. With all his injuries Forrest better cash out soon.

Banned
    vCash

Nice atmosphere in such a small venue. I hope this will initiate a series of televised cards from the site. PeteLeo.

Administrator
    vCash

Forrest looked very rejuvenated IMO. He got caught a bit but only because he was looking to impress. He would have made Baldo miss all night if he wanted to but he chose to entertain. If he looked this sharp against Quartey it wouldn't have been close and the difference wasn't just the competition.

I wished things had been different for Forrest. I always thought he was a solid talent. Even when he got KOd against Mayorga, he fought the wrong fight but he made it exciting while it lasted. He throws a great variety of quality shots and I think he outclassed PBF in comparison in many ways considering what each did to Baldo. He looked a very fresh 36 and I hope he spoils a few before he has to call it a day. I'd love to see him get that rematch with Mayorga. Win or lose against Vargas I think it will happen if Forrest keeps this up. Worse things can happen in boxing than Forrest stringing a few solid wins together.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Baldomir-Forrest RBR

How's this belt get vacant anyway? I forgot & not interested enough to look it up.

vCash

Re: Baldomir-Forrest RBR

Belt became vacant when Floyd renounced his WBC LM Title he won from beating ODLH to keep the Welterweight version.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast