Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Witter vs. Harris Results & Discussion 9/8/07

Administrator
    vCash

Witter vs. Harris Results & Discussion 9/8/07

This is a matchup that's been floating under the radar for most. Basically since most won't care since both are somewhat underachievers but I think its a good crossroads fight & some real upside for the winner. I think it will be a good matchup if Witter can fight a full 12 rounds. The promoter is full of crap but we all know that. I think Castillo would have buried either of these 2 guys.

Junior Witter's promoter Mick Hennessy insists the Briton's world title defence against Vivian Harris looks tougher than Ricky Hatton's last fight.

The Yorkshire light welterweight faces Guyana's former world champion Harris in Doncaster on 7 September.
    And Hennessy reckons it outweighs Hatton's Las Vegas win over Mexican warrior Jose Luis Castillo in June.
    He said: "Harris is a far harder opponent and a former world champion in this division and big at the weight."
    Witter won the WBC crown by beating American DeMarcus Corley on points at London's Alexandra Palace in September.

The Bradford boxer, who has on 35 of his 38 fights, then made a successful defence of his title in January, when he stopped Mexican Arturo Morua in round nine.
    But Hennessy added: "Harris is a dangerous opponent and this is a chance for Junior to really make a name for himself in a competitive world title fight.

"This could be an explosive fight and if Junior wins then the public will be demanding a fight between Witter and Hatton like never before, whatever the outcome of Ricky against Floyd Mayweather.

"Since losing his WBA title to Carlos Maussa, Harris has won three on the trot and is back to his best.
    "When he is on top of his game, which he has been in recent fights, he is a real threat.

"He has lost just twice in 31 fights and made three defences of the world title so he is well experienced at this level."

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Harris/Witter Sept 7th

Witter KOs Harris in 7

http://www.fightnews.com/watt160.htm

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Witter KOs Harris in 7 on Sept 7th

Here are the final seconds of the fight: LINK

Administrator
    vCash

This is an impressive win IMO. Witter's skills do float him to the upper echelon with this win...he deserves a crack a somebody up there.

vCash

Poor Harris. I truly believe he could have been more successful with better guidance and training. IMO, everything started going downhill for him when Manny Steward took over as his manager/trainer. "More famous" is not always better for everyone.

Administrator
    vCash

I agree but I'm glad someone dispatched him other than Maussa.

vCash

A slightly more polite and skilled Teddy Reid.

vCash

I don't really follow boxing like I used to. How come Witter's never fought Hatton?

vCash

Does anyone have this fight for trade?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Enswell
    I don't really follow boxing like I used to. How come Witter's never fought Hatton?
    Too risky. At some point they were both promoted by Frank Warren and Warren tried to make the fight, but the Hatton people declined.

vCash

Harris could've avoided this by moving up to Welter. His stamina sucked b/c he was WAY too big to be fighting at 140.

I wouldn't mind seeing Witter-Paulie, could be a decent scrap.

Administrator
    vCash

Harris apparently seemed pretty bothered by Witter's speed. Most boxers would but he is just begging to be taken apart ala Barrera/Hamed. Harris had his moments but he never had the confidence to rely on the jab & Witter's speed & off balance attacks got the best of him. Witter kept Harris moving & off balance most of the time and had him backing up the first few rounds which was a mistake on Harris' part. He did better once he began taking the lead but Witter was already confident and took Harris' best shots well. I'd like to see Witter get in the mix but he will not be able to get away with his shortcomings with the top 5 fighters. For all the excitement he can show in spots early, he still has a tendency to fade later in fights.

Witter's camp always talks about how he would be a nightmare for Hatton but I think Hatton would drown him physically between his stamina & pressure. When Hatton takes on PBF we get to see how much speed will really have an impact on him. Witter quite honestly may be as fast as PBF.

vCash

Something that surprised me was how well Witter was able to take Harris' power shots. Harris is a very hard puncher at this weight (watch his beautiful KO of Urkal, who is pretty durable otherwise), and only managed to briefly stun Witter with his Sunday punch.

Administrator
    vCash

That surprised me as well. He brushed off a few good right hands, one of which he didn't see.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    Witter's camp always talks about how he would be a nightmare for Hatton but I think Hatton would drown him physically between his stamina & pressure. When Hatton takes on PBF we get to see how much speed will really have an impact on him. Witter quite honestly may be as fast as PBF.
    You're probably right, still, I'd rather see Witter-Hatton than Mayweather-Hatton.

Administrator
    vCash

Entertainment-wise it would be a better fight even with Witter running out of gas & Hatton steamrolling him for the second half of the fight.

+ Reply to Thread