Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ray Mancini vs. Ricky Hatton

vCash

Ray Mancini vs. Ricky Hatton

I'm really looking forward towards Mayweather vs. Hatton this fall, but if I could dream a little bit, I would love to envision what a Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini vs. Ricky "Hitman" Hatton would be at either 135 or 140 lbs. These 2 all action warriors would thrill boxing fans IMO. Who wins this fight and why?

vCash

Re: Ray Mancini vs. Ricky Hatton

Call me crazy but I would pick Mancini.He was busier on the inside and strong as well to insure Hatton wouldn't be able to toss him around on the inside.

vCash

Hatton blows him away. Too relentless and hard hitting....
    Mid rds KO victory for Ricky

vCash

I think if Arguello couldn't blow away a young,raw Mancini Hatton isn't going to.Hatton has no where near the power of Arguello.

vCash

Mancini was the kind of fighter that never let his man breathe. Hatton's too relentless? Mancini would have him fighting off his heels all night.

I think it would be a terrific fight and very hard won (were any of Ray's fights not hard won), but a clear win for Boom Boom. Even Alexis couldn't dictate the pace or geography against Ray, and there's no way Hatton will. But where Alex adapted, I sincerely doubt Hatton can do it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TKO11
    Mancini was the kind of fighter that never let his man breathe. Hatton's too relentless? Mancini would have him fighting off his heels all night.

I think it would be a terrific fight and very hard won (were any of Ray's fights not hard won), but a clear win for Boom Boom. Even Alexis couldn't dictate the pace or geography against Ray, and there's no way Hatton will. But where Alex adapted, I sincerely doubt Hatton can do it.
    I'm a huge Hatton fan so maybe a little biased.
    I still think he eventually wears Mancini down.
    Hatton is quite possibly one of the strongest
    and most physical 140lbers ever. He will show this on
    Dec 8th, like he showed it on June 23rd last....

vCash

As usual, I'm with Walsh. I like Hattan big. What Mancini were you guys watching that I missed?

Boom Boom was the most protected fighter ever. Every time they gave him a non-contender to defend the title against, it was still a tough fight, except for the match with an undersized, too-old Chacon. When Ray FINALLY met a tough guy, he lost (Bramble). Mancini avoided the light-hitting but talented Howard Davis at all costs, remember? And Camacho as well, until years later. Ray avoided making A LOT of money to keep fighting lesser fighters.

Ray at 140? A joke! He never would even LOOK in Pryor's direction in those years, though Aaron was begging for that fight (said he'd take it at whichever weight Ray wanted). Ray threw away all that money such a match would have garnered him, again due to being protected.

I like Hattan in a busy fight but no dream fight. He would outwork the hardworking Boom Boom and hurt him often.
    Last edited by Michael Frank; 09-02-2007 at 04:49 PM. Reason: left out a (

vCash

Boom Boom beat a still YOUNG Rameriez and I doubt Hatton could have beaten a Rameriez.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by triplejab34
    Boom Boom beat a still YOUNG Rameriez and I doubt Hatton could have beaten a Rameriez.
    TripleJ,

Yes, Ray beat better fighters on the way to the title than he ever defended against. Ramirez was one of those good ones. But, why do you think Hatton couldn't beat Ramirez; I'd like Ricky fairly big in that match?

vCash

I hold no great regard for Ricky Hatton but he does seem to be very strong at 140. He seemed able to really bully KT and JLC both of whom would be regarded as very strong fighters themselves and I have this vision of Boom Boom attacking hard but being bullied, pushed around, beat up and beaten over 12 rounds.

vCash

I'm going to pleasd "synaptic misfire" on this one. See, I totally forgot that Hatton was 140, not 135. Why I was thinking of this fight at Ray's best weight, I have no idea.

At 140 (where any mythical matchup would take place), Hatton and big. Mancini only fought there twice, and did NOT look like the Boom Boom we all loved - his "split decision" loss to Camacho was the best of 140 for him, and the judge that saw it for Ray was on drugs - Ray lost by 4 points at least.

P4P I still go Ray (Hatton is strong, but Mancini was a 135 pound bull, and 100% muscle), but straight up at 140, hatton all the way.

Banned
    vCash

I'd have to agree. As much as I enjoyed watching Mancini for his "Okay, let's do this thing" attitude in the days of 'Pea Whitaker, I don't think he would have moved up very well. Hatton's mauling style would frustrate and defeat Ray, I'm afraid, unless some big hooks found Ricky early, a la the Magee fight. PeteLeo.

Banned
    vCash

I like this bout lb for lb

Given that Ray never showed anything at 140, a bout at that weigh, IMO is not appealing.

It would have to be pound for pound. Take Ray at his best and place him agianst Ricky at his best, I'll take Ray. Mancini landed cleaner shots and could muscle with you. Ray had OFFENSIVE aggression. Ricky, wrestling aggression. Whihc can wear you down, no doubt.

But pairing these two together (pound for pound), I'll take Mancini, who will land and create more damage on Hatton.

Hawk

vCash

My guess is that it depends on which Hatton.

The current punch-hold-punch-with-free-hand-ref-break one who DID NOT exist before Tszyu might beat Mancini P4P, in fact even probably.

The wide-open, mechanical, hit-me-and-I'll-hit-you-back brawler that he was EVERY SECOND before he fought Kostya probably does not.

As a "guy" I think Ricky is great, he gives every appearance of being a humble, very likable human being. As a fighter? The first version was never in my eyes as good as the hype, the second one is very efficient and COMPLETELY unwatchable.

I'd root for Ray against the second one but to put it in perspective, I hope he kicks the absolute mung outta Floyd. Seriously, seriously doubt it and I can't imagine watching it (the combination of thier two current, ahem..."styles" makes me puke in my mouth) but I can hope.

+ Reply to Thread