Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Michael Spinks vs. Carlos Monzon at 175

vCash

Michael Spinks vs. Carlos Monzon at 175

So many on this board like Monzon to beat all comers, some even favor him vs. Galindez. So, what about this fantasy match, a prime Spinks against a prime Monzon who moves up in weight. Here, Carlos has no physical (height/reach) advantages over his opponent.

I like Michael by KO. Who likes Monzon?

vCash

Re: Michael Spinks vs. Carlos Monzon at 175

My response has a GIGANTIC -*- attached because there is nothing to go on as far as Monzon actually fighting at 175. That said, I'm not even too sure about a P4P matchup between these two...are there two fighters ever whos's styles were so wildly different?

I know you don't think too highly of King Carlos and that's cool, I have some legends who I sort of frown upon myself. Monzon was stiff, methodical, stood entirely too straight for my liking and very often did look unspectacular. But he had real nice power, a thunderous and persistent jab, as good a chin as I've ever seen and he dictated pace and distance, creating HIS range at his leisure.

Michael always perplexed me. He could so often look off-balance, even uncoordinated but he was tough, fast, hit pretty damned well and his awkwardness presents problems to anyone. Writing a list, I can see picking Spinks for a variety of reasons: it's his domain, he was obviously quicker and faster and with history telling us a chunk of power stays behind every time you move up (and at 15 pounds, this is a helluva move.) can Monzon hurt him?

At what what weight does Carlos' chin get into dangerous territory or does it ever? How much does his telesopic jab affect the Jinx with his bizarre angles of attack? What does Michael do, or better how does he react when (I say when for a reason- Carlos got hit) he tags Monzon and nothing happens? Does something happen, is Carlos floored, maybe even repeatedly?

I don't know and as I said earlier, I'd be hard-pressed to pick a winner in a P4P battle.

vCash

I like Spinks by middle round ko. Monzon would be getting into to much dangerous territory by even stepping in the ring with Mike, who would probably catch Carlos with the Spinks Jinx after warming up a few rounds.

vCash

Great points, both of you! I remember reading a Ring Magazine issue in about 1982, where someone asked Q&A columnest Herb Goldman if then-middle champ Hagler moved up to fight then-light-heavy champ Braxton/Qawi ,who would win. He answered in one word, with no further explanation: "Braxton".

I took it to mean that such a jump, even by an elite middleweight, to fight an elite 175er, was too much to ask on a weight/strength/punch/chin basis, and there was no insult to Hagler.

I kind of look at this Monzon-Spinks matchup the same way.

vCash

You know, I can think of dozens of super middles and light heavies who would be in serious trouble with Monzon. Don't know if he'd knock them out, but he'd beat 'em.

That having been said, "A good big man beats a good little man." Most of the time, anyway.

I like Monzon as a fighter far more than I like Spinks, but when it comes to a great middle fighting a great light heavy, well, the bigger guy wins.

Spinks in 7.

vCash

Carlos was the perfect middleweight in almost every way. He had no need to move up and if he did he gives up his advantages. I go with Spinks in this one. Kind of like a bob Foster. Moving up he gives up what makes him great. No way. King Carlos was a middleweight for the ages, but no light heavy.

vCash

I think Spinks is just too big a LH for even Monzon. Monzon would be giving away height and reach and facing a harder puncher with a decent LH chin.
    His chin will take Monzon's best. Monzon's chin may see him last, but taking shots off a LH is a whole different ball game. Spinks keeps focused to always be in front for a UD

+ Reply to Thread