Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jersey Joe ... Talk about lost prime ...

vCash

Jersey Joe ... Talk about lost prime ...

Whenever we discuss heavyweight champs who we never saw in their prime, the usual subjects come up; Ali (exile) , Louis (army) , Dempsey (self-imposed) ... never mentioned is perhaps the most underated champion of all, Jersey Joe Walcott. Walcott never had a prime. Any of this talk about him hitting it in his mid thirties is a joke, that was simply when he managed to finally hit a bit of traction and fight full time. That Walcott fought on even terms with an equal Joe Louis, split with a much younger Ezzard Charles and gave a prime Rocky Marciano his toughest fight. Imagine what a career Walcott might have had if he were brought along on a proper path from the start?

vCash

Re: Jersey Joe ... Talk about lost prime ...

good points HE. He had it rough and its a shame he never got the chance to develop. But I read a article in the Philly newspapers given to me by Chuck Hasson about his fight with Al Ettore who was the same age. Walcott was the favorite and he landed bombs on Al and Ettore took them and won by a impressive ko. This was a big match in the philly area and Walcott had a shot although he lost. Ettore went on to fight Louis. I just wonder what kept Walcott from moving forward. He got that close to going somewhere at that time.

vCash

I can't make excuses for the guy but I have not seen the fight. All I have read is that Walcott lacked the consistency needed to substain a championship caliber career due to bad breaks, bad luck, a huge family to support , ect ... it appears he often took fights on short notice as fill ins ... many fights he lost were due to tiring out after leading early ...

Look, all I do know is that he should have beaten Joe Louis once, gave him hell and lost a tough other one to Louis ... fought on a even level with a much younger, smaller but great Ezzard Charles and again gave a great Marciano his toughest bout, all deep into his thirties so he definately had something.

vCash

Walcott did beat Louis that night, even Louis thought so by the look on his face. Hell the old guy had some bad breaks thats for sure.

vCash

By the 12 rounds I saw of the fight it was pretty close though. Walcott just seem to run away in the later part of the fight. I gave Louis thsos rounds.

vCash

Jersey Joe Walcott was one heck of a fighter. He is kind of a poor man's "Jack Johnson" with fancy foot work and good power in both hands. I still don't think that he beats a prime Joe Louis, but if he were in Louis's place he would beat the majority of the guys that Joe Louis did. If Jersey Joe Walcott were around today, he would be the undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World IMO.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sr71ko
    Jersey Joe Walcott was one heck of a fighter. He is kind of a poor man's "Jack Johnson" with fancy foot work and good power in both hands. I still don't think that he beats a prime Joe Louis, but if he were in Louis's place he would beat the majority of the guys that Joe Louis did. If Jersey Joe Walcott were around today, he would be the undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World IMO.

Nice line, but I think he beats the smile out ol' Jack.

vCash

Walcott is one of my favs, for my money he is as good as any HW anytime in history, he can compete well with and even beat any of them at anytime.

truly one of the greats and I knew it just by seeing him in Requiem of a Heavyweight (I believe it was), before I actually saw him fight. The way he moved around the ring and the clever gagey movement he possessed displayed to me right there, wow this guy is excellent!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jim glen
    Walcott is one of my favs, for my money he is as good as any HW anytime in history, he can compete well with and even beat any of them at anytime.

truly one of the greats and I knew it just by seeing him in Requiem of a Heavyweight (I believe it was), before I actually saw him fight. The way he moved around the ring and the clever gagey movement he possessed displayed to me right there, wow this guy is excellent!

Ditto that Jimmy.

Anybody wanna talk Johnson vs. Walcott?

vCash

Would a prime Louis have an easier time with Jersey Joe than the old one who fought him in '47 and '48?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLP 6
    Ditto that Jimmy.

Anybody wanna talk Johnson vs. Walcott?
    Johnson by late TKO. It seems there's a contingent of people who by watching a few films have concluded Johnson was just an over-rated clincher who feasted on middleweights.

Having studied all of Johnson's film for years, and through my research, I think that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I'll coincide my opinion with all of those who actually saw him fight (and who lived through the reigns of Dempsey, Louis and some through Ali) and say Johnson on a good night could've beat them all.

+ Reply to Thread