Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some Great Uppercuts

tedsares

Some Great Uppercuts

D
    Last edited by tedsares; 07-29-2008 at 09:13 AM.

vCash

Re: Some Great Uppercuts

Jose Napoles vs Ernie "Red" Lopez-2

vCash

Mike Spinks uppercutted Gerry Cooney a lot in their fight, though none was a KD punch, as I recall.

Hagler repeatedly nailed Hamsho with uppercuts in the last or 2nd to last round of their first fight, hurting him badly not long before the stoppage.

Talk about "what goes around comes around" per tedsares above re: Tyson-Douglas, Douglas's uppercut to Tyson was quite memorable. Then Buster tried it from long range against Holyfield and got KO'd almost immediately with Evander's return shot.

vCash

What about the Bert Cooper uppercut that almost klled that guy. I can't think of his name, he was a white fighter, big big fellow....

vCash

not known as a big puncher (although some of his opponents say he could punch when he wanted to), Willie Pep knocked Charley Riley cold with a right uppercut in the 5th round of their title bout in St. Louis. I may be wrong but I think Pep broke the rugged Sal Bartolo's jaw with an uppercut and stopped him in 12th round.

Banned
    vCash

Given the Bell Saved him

THis doesn't quite qualify, but My all time favorite uppercut delivered was Larry Holmes Dropping Mike Weaver in the final seconds of the 11th round of their bout in the Garden.

After an unbeleivably action packed round, Holmes purposefully back himself up into a corner and as Weaver closes in and begins to go to work on Larry, Holmes delivers his pattented (and to my knowledge, yet to be duplicated), right cross to the head, followed immediately by a right uppercut that dumps Weaver in the corner.

Mike manages to pull himself up, using the ropes, at about the count of 8 and the bell rings to end the round. I'm not sure that Harold Valen would have let Weaver continue had there been any time left in the round. Mike was glassy eyed and O-U-T of it.

Holmes went and finished things up within the first 30 or so seconds of the 12th round.

That Uppercut, was devastating and dramatic...It had everything. Except the Bell robbed it from being Conclusive.

I'd love to lable it my favorite KO. But I will have to settle with it being my favorite punch that landed.

Awesome.

Hawk

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb
    What about the Bert Cooper uppercut that almost klled that guy. I can't think of his name, he was a white fighter, big big fellow....

Willie DeWitt?

vCash

Although he did level both DeWitt and Joe Hipp in a similar manner, I believe the uppercut that he is referring to came against a guy named "Cecil Coffee." Bert split his nose in half with the uppercut, and blood was spurting "Monty Python" style all over the ring. After the fight, a gracious Cooper (who in spite of serious debilitating drug problems, was one of the nicest guys in the sport) referred to his right hook to the body-right uppercut combination as "The Tyson."

vCash

I'm with Hawk here ...the Holmes uppercut v.s. Weaver was a hell of a dramatic shot ...I was at the Garden that night and was amazed...

Banned
    vCash

I'm not sure he was ready to go

He looked tired towards the end of the 11th. But he was ahead in the bout. And looking at the pep he had in the 12th round makes me think that Holmes wasn't totally spent.

If you look at Holmes at the end of the 11th in the Norton fight, you also saw Holmes slowing down considerably. He absolutely kicked the snot out of Kenny in the 13th and he finished the 15th Extremely strong. Larry was able to charge back up after slowing down.

IMO it was not beyond Larry in that bout to get a second breath.

Hey that 11th round against Weaver, that was a brutal fricken round. Look at all of the punches those two threw. Prior to the Knockdown, Holmes did look winded and appeared to be looking for a rest. Turns out that while he WAS doing that, he also was playing a bit of Possum as well. That uppercut had a whole lot on it.

Holmes was NOT a huge puncher. Yet He had A LOT on that punch. I don't think Holmes was as spent as he looked. The uppercut and his work in the 12th, belied this.

Another uppercut to add: Azumah Nelson Pat Cowdell. The Camera shook when Pat hit the ground.

Hawk

Banned
    vCash

Ted

certainly there is no CERTAINTY, in my opinion on this.

Hey If I'm wrong, it only adds to the drama of the moment!

Hawk

vCash

Matthew Saad Muhammad almost decapitated Lotte Mwale, knocking him cold with a left uppercut in the 4th round at San Diego in 1980.

Banned
    vCash

Lotte's

Mouth piece still hasn't hit the ground.

Hawk

vCash

I agree that the Holmes uppercut to Weaver was classic, as good as has been mentioned here, also that it helped save a heavy title and was very dramatic given its timing and the turn of the momentum. Don't know how I forgot it.

And, Larry really pulled one from his bag of tricks. I didn't know hitherto that he even had such a good uppercut.

vCash

I like what Gil Clancy said about that punch and it's true. If Weaver lands his left hook while Larry is throwing that uppercut from the outside, Holmes goes out. Very, very few guys take risks when they are in trouble.

Banned
    vCash

I assume

That Clancy has said this about the uppercut in general and not this specific one here.

A-Gil didn't announce the bout, so he didn't say it during the telecast.

B-In the Holmes Weaver fight, when Larry through the uppercut, he was inside with it. He didn't reach with it at all. The Uppercut was delivered in tight. Minimal risk becuase he didn't rech with it.

Holmes had his back in the corner and Weaver was in close. The right to the head was also thrown in combination with the uppercut. So Holmes' Right side was Not open and exposed in the manner that many uppercuts are delivered. IE in combination with a right to the body.

Holmes Right to the head that precedes his uppercut, does three things.

1-It get's your attention becuase it isn't a pitty pat punch.

2-It is used as a distraction, becuase, hey, who the hell throws an uppercut after a right to the head.

3- It is a defensive measure, becuase his right side is not open for the hook when the combination is put together in rapid succession the way Holmes threw it.

Most uppercuts are thrown, leaning or reaching in with your side of the body that is delivering the punch, exposed.

Holmes never gave an opponent time to set himself to throw a hook, becuase they JUST ate the right to the head.

It is an awkwardly difficult combination to throw, but Holmes did it beautifully and perfectly. And becuase it was thrown this way, he never left himself open to the counter hook.

Hawk

vCash

Shavers practically decapitated Ellis and Norton with the right uppercut.

vCash

Nino Benvenuti had a tremendous right uppercut.His KO of Mazzinghi was awesome and he dropped Griffith heavily with one as well.

vCash

Some great ones already mentioned - Saad/Mwale may have been the single sickest KO ever. Shavers/Ellis - I can;t find any films that keep the camera on Jimmy after he managed to get up and the ref waved it off, but I read an article about that fight that said that right after it was waved off Jimmy leaned over the top rope and puked on some lucky ringsiders.

I didn't see anyone mention Tyson/Frazier. Sports Illustrated had a big picture that ran with their article on that fight of the two fighters a split second after tyson landed that shot. Tyson's fist is about 2 inches past the point of impact, and so is Marvin's skull (still pretty much on the end of Mike's knuckles) - but his face is still lagging that 2 inches behind. It was a great hit, and that picture left you not knowing whether to laugh or cry.

Banned
    vCash

Micheal Spinks Marvin Johnson

Still was amazed the arena was playing Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" After the Knockout when Marvin was laying there Unconscious.

I had a sick feeling then.

Hawk

vCash

Thanks for bringing up Shavers/Ellis. Jimmy was all over Ernie in the first round, with his underrated overhand right scoring repeatedly to Shavers's noggin. They ended up in a corner and Ernie landed a somewhat smothered uppercut in very close and that was the beginning of the end for Ellis. KO-1 Shavers. That's the way I remember seeing it live. It's been a long time.

vCash

Re: Micheal Spinks Marvin Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by tedsares
    I recall that too. Very sick.
    Was a fine scrap for four rounds before Michael threw that left. I taped that fight at the time and must have watched it 5 times over the next week. That music angered me every time.

Kind of like Sal Marchiano's "Good Night, Sweet Prince" after KOs. Seemed derogatory to the losing pugilist as well as the fight game, period. Glad he was finally removed as an announcer.

Of course, the many fans yelling "CBS Sucks" several times during Arguello-Mancini seemed to bring down the quality of the telecast, to me. I wonder what CBS did that was bugging them; I imagine somehow blocking their view.

Banned
    vCash

This may beg the description of the term "great" in regards to the topic, but Jess Willard literally killed William "Bull" Young with an uppercut thrown in the eleventh round of their match. Accounts vary as to the actual cause of death, with BoxRec reporting cerebral hemmorage while other sources state that the blow broke Young's neck. It's a rough business. PeteLeo.

Banned
    vCash

I haven't seen it in a while, but didn't gatti lift joey gamache off his feet with an uppercut and got in another devestating punch before gamache's unconscious body could slip to the floor?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by don1234
    Thanks for bringing up Shavers/Ellis. Jimmy was all over Ernie in the first round, with his underrated overhand right scoring repeatedly to Shavers's noggin. They ended up in a corner and Ernie landed a somewhat smothered uppercut in very close and that was the beginning of the end for Ellis. KO-1 Shavers. That's the way I remember seeing it live. It's been a long time.
    TKO 11 sent me a copy of the fight; I recall him saying that Ellis began vomiting when he reached his corner; tho that didn't make it to the video (thank goodness)

vCash

Wasn't it an uppercut that Manuel Ramos hit Frazier with in the first round of their fight? Frazier was bent at the waist and when Ramos tagged him with that shot it actually lifted Joe off his feet - a HEAD shot that lifted him off his feet.

Joe was so fazed by it that he immediately, without any sign of being hurt, laid a beating on Manuel that left him (the next round) sitting in the middle of the ring, looking at the ref counting him out, shaking his head and talking a mile a minute about how there was no way in hell he was getting up for more.....

vCash

Watch the Shavers-Ellis fight closely. Earnie is holding Jimmy's head ( ala, Lewis-Grant) with the left as he explodes the right under his chin.

vCash

The uppercut always on my mind was not a knockout or apparently debilitating blow, but was amazingly well absorbed: John Mugabi's brain shaker against Marvin Hagler in the fourth round...

vCash

The most memorable one-punch knockout that I saw in person
    was when Mathew Saad Muhammad landed a left uppercut to
    the head of Lotte Mwale.

- Chuck Johnston

+ Reply to Thread