Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Taylor-Pavlik Predictions, Result, and Discussion 9/29/07

vCash

Re: Pavlik forgets cheque in hotel!

Why was it necessary for Arum to talk trash about Chavez like that?

vCash

Re: Taylor-Pavlic Result & Discussion 9/29/07

Interesting analogy with Fitzsimmons ...

I've watched the fight a few times now and one thing Pav has to work on is clinching when he is hurt ... the funny thing about that second round was that it was Taylor who started most of the clinches even after he rocked Pav's world ...

vCash

Is Arum implying that Chavez was overpaid or that he didn't give fans their money's worth?
    Last edited by Mexal; 10-03-2007 at 12:52 PM.

vCash

I read it like this:

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Chavez was another guy who used to have problems with checks. While he didn't leave them in hotels, he lost them sometimes.

While leaving a check behind is something I don't recall, in any event it was possible to make sure Kelly got paid though he left his check in the room.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

I read (pronounced 'red') it like that, though admittedly have no idea what he really meant, nor does anyone when it comes to Bob.

Banned
    vCash

What's even funnier

Is that for me, I missed all of the interpretations on this on how it could have been construed and simply sat back and asked out loud how many times Chavez actually fought for Arum.

He was a King fighter for so long, that I have difficulty recalling when he fought under Arum's promotional banner. I will assume it was later in his career.

But Bob says this happened "A Lot" of times, that Chavez went out, partied and lost his check.

What constitutes "A Lot"? And that applies to how many times he fought for Arum AND how many times he lost his check!

Hawk

vCash

I read Arum's comment much the way that Sharkey did. I don't sense any attempt by Arum to speak ill of JCC: it's simply an example.

In any event, the comment seems entirely trivial.

On the other hand, I do recall that the word "filioque" caused all sorts of problem through the ages . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filioque_clause

vCash

How smashed do you have to get to forget to take along a million-dollar check? I've had some doozy hangovers, but never one that bad.

vCash

He didn't recognize it because it was a cheque, not a check.

vCash

I read Arum's remarks over twice and don't see that he talked one bit of trash about Chavez at all. He stated facts, and the facts weren't insulting facts.

Nothing was implied, either. If something was, no one reading it would recognize any implication, to my mind.

vCash

"But at least Kelly got the money he deserved", these were Arum's words right after stating that Chavez many times lost his checks.

I may be wrong, but to me (and I also read it over again) it is implying that Kelly got the money he deserved but JC didn't. Not that it matters, but that's what I can make out of Arum's words.

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DscribeDC
    How smashed do you have to get to forget to take along a million-dollar check? I've had some doozy hangovers, but never one that bad.
    I remember that Oliver McCall pulled a boner like that (I think it was after the Holmes match). Luckily, some honest soul found it and passed it on to the "Genius of Boxing." PeteLeo.

Administrator
    vCash

Actually it was weirder than that:

Oliver McCall, who lost his World Boxing Council heavyweight championship to Frank Bruno earlier this month in Wembley Stadium, lost again in St Louis on Thursday.

Three men robbed McCall of his loser's purse - a cheque for $1.4m (pounds 927,500) which he had tried to hide in a sock - at about 3am police said.

Police arrested two suspects and recovered the cheque. However, McCall denied the incident had happened. "Man, I don't know what you're talking about," he told a local newspaper. "I love St Louis. What robbery? I wasn't robbed."

The suspects were both freed because McCall said he did not wish to press charges.

vCash

Re: Taylor-Pavlik Result & Discussion 9/29/07

Thank God Jay Nady was sorting his socks last Saturday night!! Otherwise Jermain Taylor would still be champ by a 2nd round TKO. Smoger knew that both boxers were warriors and let the fight continue.

Austin

vCash

Re: Taylor-Pavlik Result & Discussion 9/29/07

I like the Fitzsimmons comparison though Pavlik is taller by 2 1/2" . Interesting that it has been said that Bob's prime fighting weight was 167 which is about what Pavlik was at against Taylor. Given Pavlik's age and frame it would seem he could easily compete at 168.

I'd like to see how Pavlik would fare against Abraham.

vCash

I'll bet the farm he didn't forget the belts...

vCash

I'm a bit surprised they even write out the checks anymore. I'm assuming Pavlik has a bank account. Why not just transfer the money?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Enswell
    I'm a bit surprised they even write out the checks anymore. I'm assuming Pavlik has a bank account. Why not just transfer the money?
    The promoter collects interest on the money until the check is deposited and clears. If I'm the promoter, why am I in such a hurry to part with my dough?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DscribeDC
    The promoter collects interest on the money until the check is deposited and clears. If I'm the promoter, why am I in such a hurry to part with my dough?
    Ah, hadn't thought of it like that. Makes sense then. Thanks for the info.

vCash

Re: The WBC & Taylor-Pavlik / Rematch Demanded by Taylor

If Jermain lost that fight because he didn't get the crowds backing what does that say about his mental toughness? I mean do they really want to spin this as Jermain heard too many boos so he got KOed? Plus he knocked Pavlik down in the fight.

Steward says "He needs to spend more time learning to do things where it will become instinctive naturally." I'm sorry but after how many fights he has had in his life if this is natural then it is probably too late.

I still don't here Pavlik getting the credit that he deserves. To me they still don't get how good a fighter he is. I suspect Taylor will get KOed again.

Administrator
    vCash

The crowd huh? Cmon Steward. Maybe its me but I think it was the punches that Pavlik landed on his head that had the most do to with him losing but what the hell to do I know.

vCash

Steward is a funny guy. A lot of his marquee Kronk guys had plenty of major technical flaws. Hearns and Paul carried low left hands among others. Milton McCrory often dropped his right hand as he was jabbing, opening himself up to a counter left hook. Michael Moorer was addicted to going to the ropes as a heavyweight with Steward. A lot of Kronk fighters never held when they were in trouble and lost big fights because of that. Lots of examples. Taylor's camp have been pointing fingers at each other all along.
    Last edited by Nixon; 10-25-2007 at 02:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567