Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Taylor-Pavlik Predictions, Result, and Discussion 9/29/07

vCash

Re: Taylor-Pavlik Pre-Fight Press & Predictions

Still can't make my mind up on this one, so here goes....

Pavlik on points due to being the busier fighter and scoring a knockdown or two along the way.

vCash

When they play the hi lite tonight of the Pavlik V Miranda fight, it will be my first good look at that demolition job. Taylor is listed as 6'1 and Kelly at 6'2, just an incredible era for tall middleweights. What will they really weigh in that ring?

Taylor although unpopular with his close decision wins with Hopkins and his draw with Winky has hung in there with the best of the division although not in spectacular fashion.

The blow out of Miranda cannot be taken lightly but other than that Pavlik has not had the opportunity to show his potential with a great fighter.

Taylor must as Tom says show it now or never, champ or not and it looks like Pavlik has the height and tools to make him rumble. Taylor just might surprise people tonight with his skill and durability unless Pavlik can hurt him and keep him hurt. I have to see more of Pavilik to make an accurate analysis, but that Miranda KO was a big surprise.

He does not look strong at all and for the Zone family to be that impressed with him impresses me.

Ron

vCash

I'm going with Pavlik on this one, true he hasn't been in big fights like Taylor, but I think he is going to be too tough and rough for Taylor, Taylor hasn't show me that he has that fire in the belly, a la SRL or others of that ilk.

vCash

Did my eyes deceive me or has Pavlik not gone past the 9th round of a fight?

Still, my gut says Pavlik by stoppage before the end of the 8th, or a close but fair decision win.

vCash

Re: Taylor-Pavlic Result & Discussion 9/29/07

Early results from Atlantic City:

Middleweight Ronald Hearns (16-0, 13 KOs) needed just 2:42 to demolish Robert Kamya (16-8, 4 KOs). Hearns dropped Kamya twice before the bout was waved off.

Heavyweight prospect Chazz Witherspoon (20-0, 14 KOs) dominated Ron Guerrero (19-15-3, 13 KOs) until the doctor stopped the bout between the fifth and sixth rounds.

Former world title challenger Omar Sheika (27-8, 18 KOs) ended a competitive fight with an explosive left hook in the fourth round that knocked out Tiwon Taylor (26-14-1, 19 KOs) at the 2:24 mark of a light heavyweight bout.

In a big upset, heavyweight Robert Hawkins (21-9, 7 KOs) ended a five-fight losing streak with a unanimous decision over Terry Smith (30-3, 18 KOs). Scores were 60-54, 59-55, 58-56. No knockdowns.

Nine months after his devastating loss to Miguel Cotto, WBA #4 welterweight Carlos Quintana (24-1, 19 KOs) returned to stop Christopher Henry (23-19, 17 KOs) in round four. An uppercut rocked Henry and the bout was stopped at 2:46.

Super middleweight Richard Pierson (5-1, 3 KOs) scored a fifth round TKO over Ray Smith (7-2, 2 KOs). Time was 2:58. Smith was down in round two.

Junior middleweight Ronney Vargas (2-0, 1 KO) used Bruce Burkhardt (0-2) as a punching bag for four rounds, winning 40-36 on all cards.

vCash
    Good evening everyone,

First up is Andre Berto vs. David Estrada

Referee is David Fields

Round One

The fighters start out by jabbing. Estrada lands a left hook. Estrada is aggressive and is forcing the action. Estrada lands another left hook. Berto landing some nice hard jabs. Estrada's round.

Round Two

Berto looks more aggressive this round, lands numerous hard jabs. Berto trying to land off the jabs but not much is landing. Berto finally lands a nice right hand off the jab. Estrada lands a nice right hand along the ropes. Close round, I'll give it to Berto.

Round Three

Estrada lands a couple of left hoks in close, to start the round. Berto more willing to exchange in this round. Berto lands a couple of nice uppercuts. Left hook lands for Berto, backs up Estrada. They trade hooks to the body. Berto finishes the round very strong, landing both upstairs and downstairs. Berto's round.

Round Four

Rounds starts the same as the last. Berto opening up and landing punches. Estrada backs Berto to ropes and lands to body. Berto lands a left to the body. Berto backs Estrada to a corner and flurries. Estrada not as aggressive. Berto's round.

Round Five

Estrada immediately backs Berto to a corner and flurries, but not much is landing for him. Berto really puts his punches together in the middle of the ring, landing lots of punches. Great left hook to the body by Berto. Estrada lands a left hook. Left hook-right cross combination stuns Estrada at the end of the round. Berto's round.

Round Six

Berto really starting to dominate. Estrada has done less and less as the fight has gone on. Left hook by Estrada. Berto making Estrada miss, land a nice right hand. Estrada backs Berto to the ropes and lands some meaningful punches. Berto backing up Estrada consistently now. Better round for Estrada but still Berto's round.

Round Seven

Berto jabbing alot to begin the round. Estrada just not doing enough work now. Berto is controlling the action and the fight. Beautiful right hand by Berto lands flush. Berto's round.

Round Eight

Estrada bulls Berto to the ropes and lands a couple nice lefts to the body. After about a minute, Estrada really slows down. Berto flurries and lands some nice combinations. Estrada looks like he's almost done. Amazingly, Estrada comes to life and lands a few punches along the ropes. Berto flurries towards the end of the round. A good round that I'll give to Berto.

Round Nine

Berto landing a right uppercut with frequency. Estrada looks tired, Berto lands numerous punches while Estrada is pinned to the ropes. Estrada holding, crowd boos. Berto dominating this round, Estrada looks exhausted. Nice right hand backs Estrada up. Easy round for Berto.

Round Ten

Much of the same this round, Berto is dominating. Nice right hand lands by Berto. Estrada lands a couple nice left hooks to the body. Estrada does his best work from there, unfortunately it's too few and far between. Much the same this round. Berto's round.

Round Eleven

Berto flurries to begin the round. Uppercut and right hand floors Estrada. After the follow up flurry by Berto, referee stops the fight. Berto was impressive, in a tough fight against a tough guy.

Great fight. Berto proved a lot. Entertaining fighter. Only problem with Berto is he's short, and he needs defensive work. His head is straight up and he's hittable. Might get KO'd by a big puncher. But he's fun to watch.

David Fields did a nice job as ref. Didn't break them too soon. Let them work out of clinches. Stoppage could have been a tad sooner though.

vCash

Main Event

Referee is Steve Smoger

Round One

Taylor begins the round by throwing a big right hand. They trade jabs. Pavlik starting to land the jab, using his longer reach. Taylor lands a left hand but Pavlik responds with a nice right hand. Pavlik lands a nice combination, starting to get to Taylor. Pavlik finding a home with the right hand. Pavlik's round on my scorecard.

vCash

Round Two

They trade rights to begin the round. Pavlik backing Taylor up, but Taylor downs Pavlik with right hand follwed by combo. Taylor flurries and Pavlik on shaky legs. Pavlik ties Taylor up, Pavlik getting his legs back. Taylor looks a bit tired. Taylor's round by two points.

vCash

That, right there in round 2 will be there all night for Taylor. I said it from the start, Pavlik will be there for Taylor to tee off on.

vCash

Round Three

Pavlik lands a right hand to begin round, backs Taylor into corner. Taylor lands a counter right. Pavlik coming forward landing right hands. Pavlik backs Taylor into corner with combo and flurries. Good action as Taylor comes back and gets out of corner. Pavlik's round.

vCash

Round Four

Pavlik coming forward once again at the beginning of the round. Taylor lands low with a left, gets warning. Pavlik backs Taylor into corner once again, but gets out quickly. Yaylor lands a right-left combo. Pavlik backs Taylor to the ropes with right hand. Left hook for Taylor. Close round, I'll give to Pavlik because he was more aggressive.

vCash

Round Five

Pavlik landing jab consistently and follows with right hands. Taylor lands a big right hand. Taylor is more explosive and flashy but Pavlik keeps coming forward and lands meaningful punches. Slower round from both. Taylor lands a couple of jabs. Pavlik's round.

vCash

Round Six

Pavlik backs Taylor into corner but doesn't land anything. Left hook by Taylor followed by body shots. Another left by Taylor lands. Right hand backs Taylor to ropes. Another right by Pavlik followed by uppercut. Taylor lands a one-two. Right hand lands for Taylor after he is backed into ropes by Pavlik. Taylor's round.

vCash

Gee, I think Taylor's winning 58-56

vCash

Wow, Taylor looked like zertuche!

vCash

Round Seven

Pavlik lands a bodyshot. Pavlik landing his jab once again. Pavlik's jab is controlling the action in this round. Right hand hurts Taylor, backs Taylor into corner and follow-up flurry ends fight with Taylor slumped to canvas. Great fight, Pavlik is the real deal. He's a machine, comes forward and throws lots of punches. Very impressive, Pavlik's gonna be tough to beat. The judges had Tayor up by 3 and 4 points, what a joke, horrible judging.
    Last edited by Zevl; 09-30-2007 at 12:08 AM.

vCash

Sounds like an incredible, sudden knockout win for Pavlik. Explosive.

vCash

Wow! Wow! Wow!

vCash

Good fight, till it ended...

He was there all night for Taylor to tee off on, but Taylor should think about keeping his hands up at some point in his career.

Good fight, hope it happens again. I'm sure there is a rubbermatch in there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Kurant
    Good fight, till it ended...

He was there all night for Taylor to tee off on, but Taylor should think about keeping his hands up at some point in his career.

Good fight, hope it happens again. I'm sure there is a rubbermatch in there.

I'll be honest with you. Other than the 2nd round, I thought Pavlik was winning handily. I think if they fought again, nothing would change. I don't think it'd get to a rubbermatch.

vCash

Holy sh-t ... what a fight and what an ending ... This kid had every reason in the world to let it slip away but he has the heart of a warrior and realy ko power ... this guy is a reincarnation of Marciano at middleweight ... Taylor gave it his all, fought like a champ all the way but simply got beat ... I'm watching him in the post fight interview and Taylor looks completely mentally crushed from a confidence standpoint ...

vCash

I LOVE BOXING!! So much for that white hope crap that people were saying. How about the scores, what bull! Kelly was wining the whole time.

I feel bad for Taylor who is a great guy but I don't think he has been improving under Manny Stewards tutelage. He used to be a guy who threw a bunch of jabs now he is a free swinger.

Anyway Great fight! Kelly is going to be hard for anyone to fight and people better not underestimate him. He doesn't look that great but he is very very good.

vCash

HBO put on two terrific fights tonight. Kudos to Kelly
    Pavick, Jermain Taylor, Andre Berto and David Estrada
    for making this evening a memorable one.

- Chuck Johnston

vCash

Watch the fight on replay an notice how many shots Kelly blocked with his glove in front of his face. He was also consistently beating Taylor to the punch with his jab. The kid doesn't look that smooth but he also has heavy hands you can tell. The real deal. Love to see that fight again. Fight of the year I think.

vCash

Congrats to Kelly Pavlik. I picked Taylor to beat him and think he was winning, not like the judges had it but he was ahead, imo. I'll go on record right now as saying Taylor wins the rematch in a much less exciting battle. The advantages Taylor STILL has over Pavlik could make it relatively easy for him. Hard, for me anyway, to root against either one of these guys, at the core they seem like good guys.

Question: "Gene Williams", a judge in the Berto fight wouldn't be the supposedly banned "Eugenia" of the Lewis-Holyfield draw fiasco, would it?

vCash

Both guys fought a great fight, I pick Pavlic to win, but I have to say that he has to learn to follow through with his left after he throws his right, up until the end he was just throwing that old one-two.

vCash

I think in a rematch without the knock down Pavlic will beat him handily, however I don't think Taylor will opt for a rematch to tell you the truth.

vCash

Incredible ending.

I actually thought Taylor won the first round and was shocked to see how careless Pavlik was in the second round by dropping his hands and getting hit with shots he never should have taken. The fact he got through that was amazing and showed tremendous determination and heart and in shape recovery power. Using that sledgehammer on those tires I truly believe paid off for his kind of strength.

Taylor seemed to be doing much better than he was getting credit for on the air but Pavlik used his jab and straight right effectively while going to the body well too.

Smoger was getting bumped into a bit and could not seem to get out of the way effectively being too out of shape. At times he would step in at the wrong time, but basically it went ok.

Believe me when I tell you this, it is INCREDIBLY lucky for Smoger that Taylor did not try to rise because Steve NEVER should have stood over him like that stopping it instantly, he should have stepped back and started to count just in case Taylor attempted to get up. It worked out ok for all but he stepped in too quick without knowing he would or would not TRY to rise while TOTALLY blocking that possibility, I have rarely seen such a move before.

Look at the replay, the punches did not seem like all time show stopping hard shots either and on the replay the right hand had no real kick to it but was pushed out nice but with no real snap, it did the job fine though and the follow up lefts were slapping but punishing. I thought he would get up but
    it was an accumulative effect.

Taylor always a gentleman and a great win for Kelly and family.

Terrific effort and great win for all the guys who stayed with Pavlik from the beginning. Amazing surprise.

vCash

I don't think Kelly's shot look that great but I think they hit really heard, he has that long skinny deceptive strength. Kind of like Monzon.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bomma
    I don't think Kelly's shot look that great but I think they hit really heard, he has that long skinny deceptive strength. Kind of like Monzon.
    He (Pavlic) reminds me a lot of Danny "Lil Red" Lopez.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast