Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacquiao-Barrera II Predictions, Results, and Discussion 10/6/07

Banned
    vCash

Pacquiao-Barrera II Predictions, Results, and Discussion 10/6/07

I just stumbled accross this on ESPN's site. It's a few days old and I checked to see if there was anything re this on our site and couldn't find anything.

Hawk:

Promoters' settlement paves way for Pacquiao-Barrera II
    By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com

Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions, bitter promotional rivals whose ongoing feud was holding boxing fans hostage because they refused to match their fighters, reached a peace accord Friday after two weeks of court-ordered mediation.

The settlement, reached Wednesday and signed Friday, was jointly announced by the companies Friday. It puts to bed several lawsuits between the firms, including the one at the center of the dispute: ownership of the promotional rights to junior lightweight star Manny Pacquiao, who had signed contracts with both companies before pledging loyalty to Top Rank.

I'm absolutely relieved this is behind us and that we will work together to make some great fights. I think it's tremendous for boxing.
    -- Bob Arum

Neither side would discuss specific terms of the deal because of a confidentiality agreement.

"I'm absolutely relieved this is behind us and that we will work together to make some great fights," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com. "I think it's tremendous for boxing."

Richard Schaefer, CEO of Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy, echoed Arum's sentiments, telling ESPN.com, "We are very pleased that we were able to do this. Boxing is the big winner. It's an important day for boxing when you have two of the biggest promotional companies settling their differences and moving on to do things together. We can bring fans great fights. Top Rank and Golden Boy working together is great news for the sport."

Their first fight together under the settlement is a big one. In announcing the settlement, they also announced that Pacquiao would meet Golden Boy's Marco Antonio Barrera in a rematch on Oct. 6 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Pacquiao knocked out Barrera in 2003 to launch himself to stardom in the United States.

Under terms of the settlement, bouts between Pacquiao and Golden Boy fighters will be co-promoted by the companies. If Pacquiao fights an opponent outside of Golden Boy's stable, Top Rank will promote the fight with Golden Boy being paid on the event.

Arum said once the sides agreed to the structure of the settlement, he and Schaefer made the Pacquiao-Barrera rematch in a few minutes over lunch Wednesday in Las Vegas.

"The big picture is that it will enable so many fights to be made quite easily because Schaefer and I are both business people. We're not going to waste time on petty issues like a lot of promoters. We made Pacquiao-Barrera at lunch in 10 minutes."

Arum and Schaefer both gave credit to mediator Daniel Weinstein. Without his involvement, they said they are doubtful they would have come to an agreement.

"He played a very instrumental role," Schaefer said of the retired judge. "If not for him, I don't think we could have done this. He really took ownership of the case and understood how delicate it was."

Said Arum, "Anybody who tells somebody not to use a mediator in this kind of situation is out of their mind. This guy was tremendous in getting both of us to realize how destructive our conduct was and how productive it would be to work together. You need a guy like that to mediate the dispute and see the broader picture."

The settlement resolved other lawsuits between the companies besides just the issue of Pacquiao's promotional rights. Also settled was Arum's suit over revenue related to De La Hoya's 2006 fight with Ricardo Mayorga and Golden Boy's suit against Arum over accounting issues related to past De La Hoya bouts.

"We were able to settle and move on," Schaefer said. "Oscar is very happy. Now, you suddenly have Oscar and Bob promoting events together. Those two guys doing it together is big."

Arum promoted De La Hoya for most of his career, but bitterness arose when De La Hoya left Top Rank to found Golden Boy, which competed directly with Top Rank for fighters and television dates. Arum, who has yet to speak to De La Hoya since the settlement, said as far as he is concerned the bad blood is in the past.

"I'd be a fool if I didn't work with Oscar," Arum said. "Schaefer and I both said everything that has gone on in the past is behind us and we just look to the future."

There are other big fights to be made between the companies besides Pacquiao-Barrera II. Pacquiao's other big-name opponent is another Golden Boy fighter, junior lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez. There are also potential matches between welterweight stars Miguel Cotto and Shane Mosley, junior lightweights Humberto Soto and Joan Guzman and junior bantamweights Fernando Montiel and Jorge Arce. Another possible fight is a fourth bout between rivals Barrera and Erik Morales.

"There are a lot of good fights we can do together that fans want to see," Schaefer said.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

vCash

Re: Pac Barrera II for Oct 6?

Much more interested in Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez, but maybe this fight is the set up for that one.

Banned
    vCash

Logic clearly says

Manny beats Marco.

But I'll be very interested in this bout none the less.

I'll be pulling hard for Marco!

Hawk

vCash

I'd like to see Manny slow down a bit (he has to at some point) so maybe Marco can somehow turn the tables on him after the one-sided beating he took in their first fight.

JMM, he might have a chance, Marco...I don't think so.

Administrator
    vCash

I think its full steam ahead for Pac no matter who it is. Younger, faster, stronger & in his prime and he is actually improving and surprisingly humble despite his accomplishments. Not much more to have on your side.

Banned
    vCash

Odds CERTAINLY

Are in Manny's favor.

Marco does seem to be in the final stages of a wonderful career.

There is NO rationale reason to select Marco to win this bout if it does come off.

Stranger things have happened though and I will be rooting for Marco all the way. But should the improbable happen and Barrera somehow wins....Promise me, I will NOT say: "I told anyone so".

Marco will always be one of my favorite fighters of all time and he will have my loyalty until the bitter end.

But I will not insult anyone's intelligence and claim something now or at a later date that I do not now or past tense believe to be untrue.

I WANT Marco to win and score an upsept of epic proportions. Bigger than the showing in Morales I, Bigger than the Hamed Performance (whihc btw I DID call in advance) and bigger than Morales III. And Juarez II as well. (as an aside, I did think Marco pulled out the Marquez bout, if only by a c-hair.).

Do I THINK or BELEIVE Marco will come out on top if the bout does come off? No I do not.

What I want to happen and what I THINK will happen, do not always go hand in hand.

Hawk

vCash

Hawk

What is it about MAB you like so much?

Banned
    vCash

His mother's madien name

Hawk

vCash

Tapia?

vCash

Just asking is all.

vCash

C'mon people.......

I am a Barrera fan as well, loved to watch him box beautifully and counter...

But.....He has seen too many wars and is past prime, and has slowed just enough for a prime Paq to pressure him and stop him somewhat early.

I wish it wasn't so, but this could end badly for Barrera.

(Hope I am wrong)

Banned
    vCash

The way to chop down Pacquiao is with body work. It's happened before (I have a tape of it). PeteLeo.

Banned
    vCash

Sharks

I was rushed for time when I wrote that. just me being me.

I remember seeing Barrera from a few of his early bouts: Croft, Cook and some others and I just really took a liking to him.

WHen BAD had it's maiden voyage with Marco and Kennedy, I was hooked.

After the Jones fight, I was deflated but in the rematch whihc to this day I still maintain Marco won, Barrera had a bit of that "underdog" trait in him for me that I know you also like so much.

Whne Morales I came about, and agian after IMO the best live bout I've ever seen, I though Marco got the shaft agian, he was going to be a special fave of mine for ever.

I despised Hamed and when he spanked him, there was ALWAYS going to be aplace for him in my heart.

I love his style, He's been in sooo many great fights.

To me there is Soo much to like and enjoy about him, it's simply a no brainer for me.

I don't over rate him as some have done. I understand his weaknesses and faults.

Boris Becker is my favorite tennis player ever and I'd never suggest he was the best ever.

Marco just is a fighter I have always enjoyed and will always pull for and will miss immensely when he's gone.

That's all.

Hawk

vCash

Pac Barrera II for Oct 6?

Inside Camp Pacquiao

By Robert Morales
    15Rounds.com

Amid all the hoopla created by the sudden departure of Manny Pacquiao from Los Angeles back to his native Philippines, none other than his trainer, Freddie Roach, said it is much to do about nothing.

Pacquiao was in Los Angeles last Friday for a news conference promoting his rematch with Marco Antonio Barrera that will take place Oct. 6 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. He then was supposed to travel to Sacramento to watch seven of his Filipino ountrymen take on seven Mexican counterparts in the second World Cup of Boxing at ARCO Arena on Saturday. But Pacquiao never made it there, instead beating feet back to the Philippines.

Rumors abound. One had Pacquiao and Roach getting into a verbal dispute. Others centered on personal issues that may have been too much for Pacquiao to deal with here in the states.

“The rumor about me and him having an argument, that never happened,” Roach told us Monday night, the day before he left for the Philippines to join Pacquiao.

Roach said that the original idea was for Pacquiao to fly to Sacramento with him and Oscar De La Hoya, Pacquiao's co-promoter. De La Hoya promoted the World Cup under his Golden Boy Promotions banner.

“But then he decided he was going to drive up the following day to see the Filipinos fight,” Roach said. “But he had personal problems, so instead he flew back to Manila.”

Roach did not elaborate on the nature of those problems, but he did say that he was not worried about the effect they might have on Pacquiao's training, which is now going to take place at the new outdoor gym of Pacquiao's longtime friend, Rex Salud. It is located in Cebu, one of the provinces of the Philippines. Roach said this is better than Pacquiao trying to train in Manila, where outside influences would be much more prevalent.

“We had talked about training there (in the Philippines) in the past a couple of times for the first half of the camp, but we had decided against it,” said Roach, who normally trains Pacquiao out of his Wild Card Gym in Hollywood. “Now things have changed where Manny wants to train there for the first half of the camp and then come back to America. So I just said, 'Let's train for the first four weeks in the Philippines and then come back to America the last two weeks, train one week at Wild Card and then one week in Las Vegas.'

“This is a brand new training camp that Mr. Salud has. Cebu is not as crowded as Manila, so there will be less distractions there. They talked about training in Manila, but I said no to that. We can't train in Manila, there are way too many distractions there.”

Indeed, Pacquiao is a high-profile individual in his homeland. As arguably the best fighter in the world pound-for-pound, he is a national sports hero in a country fanatical about boxing. He also recently ran for office, and he made a movie. But Pacquiao will be facing a Barrera whom he stopped in the 11th round in November 2003. And anyone who knows Barrera knows that he has a knack for coming through when the pressure is on. Thus, Pacquiao had better be focused.

Whereas it appears Pacquiao will have to stay strong and not let distractions get in the way of this rematch, it was Barrera who had a fistful of problems prior to their first fight nearly four years ago.

Among other things, Barrera had managerial problems, and he was forced to leave his Big Bear camp because of tremendous fires there.

“I expect a big surprise from Barrera,” said De La Hoya, who may co-promote Pacquiao, but he is Barrera's only promoter. “When people count him out, he always comes back and wins and wins impressively. So I think Barrera is going to pull out a surprising victory. He's been waiting for this fight since they fought and it's been many years. I can understand the problems he had when he faced Pacquiao the first time. They were real distractions and you lose focus. I think this time around, he's going to be much better. We all know that when he trains and he's focused, he's the best 130-pounder out there.”

Bob Arum co-promotes Pacquiao, thanks to a recent out of court settlement with De La Hoya. He has respect for Barrera, but the way he sees it, there is little chance Pacquiao will lose.

“I think Barrera is really going to be up for the fight and I think that people will be able to see a real battle, toe-to-toe. You know, a great, great fight,” Arum said. “I think there's only one winner and that's Pacquiao. But Barrera has always been known to rise to the occasion when he's counted out.”

The prediction here is that Pacquiao will again stop Barrera inside the distance. But only if Pacquiao keeps his mind on the task at hand. If he lets his personal situation get in the way, it could be him that is counted out – by the referee.

Roach, however, is just the trainer who can prevent that from happening. A tireless worker, Roach said that he is more than pleased about the sparring he has been able to arrange for his protege. There will be two local fighters from the Philippines, and Urbano Antillon (19-0) and Jose Armando Santa Cruz (25-2), two very tough fighters from Mexico living in the L.A. area. They are set to join Roach and Pacquiao on Thursday in Cebu.

“We will do,” Roach said, “what we have to do.”

vCash

Re: THE FAVORITE SON OF THE PHILIPPINES

vCash

I've a hard time seeing how Marco can win, he lost big time the first time they fought, since then Manny has inproved and Marco has gone farther down the wrong side of the hill.

Administrator
    vCash

A little annoying is that the Peter/Maskaev fight is on the same night at MSG no less. Not like the 2 fights compare but annoying nonetheless.

Pacquiao is going to roll over Barrera in an exciting fight.

vCash

If this was a few years back (say after Morales III) I'd give Marco a better chance at the upset. But it seems like his punch resistance has gotten worse and worse. He was hurt by Juarez (understandable as Rocky is a solid hitter) but also a few punches away from a KO by Marquez, who's a sharp hitter but not a KO guy.

I agree with diggity . . I think this will be a war for 3-5 rounds but end sooner rather than later.

vCash

Vendetta in Autumn

By Rene Bonsubre, Jr.
    PhilBoxing.com
    25 Aug 2007

Marco Antonio Barrera turned 33 years old last January. His career has been superlative and it is a sure fire ticket to the Hall of Fame. His record of 63 wins (KO 42) - lost 5 is something most boxers would envy.

Four years ago he was riding on the crest of a wave of significant victories – from the 2001 dismantling of the Naseem Hamed myth and winning his rematch against Erik Morales in 2002. He was also beating name fighters like Johnny Tapia and Kevin Kelley.

A year later he faced a brash young Filipino who entered the ring a 9 to 1 underdog in most betting stations. Barrera received a thorough beating and most boxing writers were preparing to write his obituary.

Then came the third Morales fight and fans realized that he was not washed up.

There are still people who cling to the idea that he was not mentally prepared against Manny Pacquiao. Barrera’s performance against Rocky Juarez in their first encounter also showed that he was still capable of waging a ring war. But the lingering question remains: For how long?

In his last fight against Juan Manuel Marquez and the scoreline may have been appalling, but questions lingered – has he fought one war too many? Is four years and seven fights really a long time to wait to once again face the fighter who almost signed his retirement check?

The Juarez rematch may provide a blueprint of Barrera’s battle plan: Box instead of brawl. But Juarez did not provide adequate pressure in their rematch. Another big problem is that Barrera will also be facing a different and more improved Manny Pacquiao this time around.

There will be also negative mental images that Barrera needs to erase. The most prominent of which is that he was rescued by a relative in the ring against further punishment from the Pacman. But revenge is a dish best tasted cold. Barrera will definitely want a huge bite.

Whatever his fight plan is one thing is certain. Barrera will not go quitely. Mexican warriors never do.

vCash

Marco Antonio Barrera Vs Manny Pacquiao II: The History of the Rematch
    By Mike “Rubber Warrior” Plunkett
    Ringside Report.com

A generation ago, the rematch was, to a classic and vintage match-up in boxing, what Robin was to Batman. It was a natural response to a fantastic pairing and almost a complete given. The return match usually occurred within six months of the original, and in many notable cases, within as little as three months.

In today’s heady climate of promotional interests, opposing cable networks and contract considerations, it is a virtual miracle to see a rematch between major marquee names put together at all, let alone in a timely and fan friendly fashion. On those rare occasions when they are made, several years have usually elapsed and the peak quotients of the fighters involved often register considerably south of their initial encounter.

Such as is the case of the Manny Pacquiao versus Marco Antonio Barrera rematch, the long anticipated encore scheduled for October 6th.

When these two warriors met four years ago, both were riding high with commendable winning streaks and commanding significant coverage on HBO. Barrera in particular had enjoyed a long and colorful foray through the ranks, after soundly trouncing the much-hyped and undefeated Naseem Hamed in dominating fashion for bragging rights as world featherweight champion.

Going into their first meeting, Manny was riding a significant wave of popularity and momentum, having successfully defended his IBF Super Bantamweight Title several times, the second of the two major world titles he had previously secured. The major cable networks were focused in on him having long since warmed-up to the notion that the Filipino phenom was that special blend of skill, athleticism, and explosive power blended with a willingness to challenge the best in or around his weight class.

Although his challenge of Barrera was officially deemed as a non-title affair, it was essentially a challenge for the latter’s laurels as arguably the best featherweight on the planet. The fight itself was a dramatic if lopsided event which saw the ever-improving and closer to his peak Pacquiao administer a spirited and prolonged dish-out of hurt on the suddenly passive and ineffective looking veteran. It was the type of win that made those watching want to see more of the victor while at the same time left us wondering if the vanquished Barrera had reached the end of his shelf life as a world class fighter.

In the four years since that fateful night, both fighters have experienced their share of highs and lows.

Barrera managed to make a significant case for himself as having an off night in his loss to Pacquiao by emphatically trouncing former two-division champion Paulie Ayala by convincing TKO in mid-2004. Off of that performance, Barrera signed for a highly publicized rubber match with arch-rival and fellow countryman, Erik Morales, for his WBC Super Featherweight Title. The fight itself was an easy sell with both Barrera and Morales having split two previous matches in controversial fashion. Going into the bout, Morales career momentum and popularity were at an all-time high, having recently won his third major world title in as many weight classes. At the time, the general consensus was that Morales would prevail and Barrera would likely earn a final significant payday. As it turned out, Barrera managed to somewhat turn back the clock and clearly outpoint his hated rival in a torrid affair.

Off of that surprising and dramatic performance, the suddenly rejuvenated Barrera was expected by many to pursue a rematch with Pacquiao and the mega payday that went along with it. Instead, a fork suddenly appeared on the road of fistic fate, as Marco Antonio opted for a gravy train tour of less than scintillating title defenses before struggling greatly and appearing well beyond his means retaining his title against top contender Rocky Suarez over telling two encounters. In March of 2007, Barrera lost his WBC Super Featherweight Title to Juan Manuel Marquez, in a bout devoid of the usual fire and technical flair that punctuated Barrera’s earlier years.

While Manny moved on in search of alphabet titles and further marquee conquest after his 2003 defeat of Barrera, it is of particular note that he too had his dealings with the very highly regarded Juan Manuel Marquez, back in 2004. After an explosive start in a near first-round wipeout, Pacquiao appeared to have nicked the win against the studied poise and composure of the master ring wizard in Marquez, only to receive a draw.

Not that it was all bad. In fact, it is here during this period that Pacquiao enhanced his name to the point of building a legendary legacy, ironically against the very man that had served as the linchpin for Barrera’s return, former three-division king Erik Morales. Suffering an upset unanimous decision loss in early-2005, Manny regrouped to hand Morales his first stoppage loss a year later in the return. From there, Pacquiao convincingly out pointed the respect Oscar Larios, the former WBC Super Bantamweight Champion before annihilating Erik Morales in spectacular fashion in their rubber match. In April 2007 with the stoppage of the undefeated Jorge Solis, a veritable dark horse, Pacquiao has effectively rounded out matters on up to the present.

Bringing us up to the present, Marco Antonio Barrera has signed to face Manny Pacquiao in a rematch of their 2003 encounter. The bout is scheduled for October 6th at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas and the widespread feeling presently permeating the boxing landscape is that Barrera is all but completely finished as a force and that Pacquiao is at or possibly only slightly beyond his absolute peak and at the height of his powers.

It’s interesting to note that Barrera’s payday will be of significant denomination. The curiosity is that Barrera appeared to be in a far better position to engage in a return with Pacquiao right after his rubber match victory over Morales in late-2004, yet, only now after his round robin tour of defenses and a lost championship does he entertain a second go-around with perhaps the greatest force at or around featherweight in decades.

The bout itself is in this writer’s opinion a natural on the one hand and a miracle on the other. Contractual complications inexplicably created by Pacquiao had served to preclude any possibility of this return ever being made. Pacquiao’s footloose use of the pen created a major hurdle. It was only after Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions formalized their amicable settlement that allowed the rematch to move forward.

Despite the late hour of Marco Antonio Barrera’s challenge, the reality is he is in a no-lose situation. He will get an excellent send-off payday and of course a chance, as remote as it may be, to exact revenge on Pacquiao. Should the unlikely occur and Barrera somehow manage to find a way to win, a rubber match could command exponentially more money, along with the knowledge that his place in history has firmly been secured.

For Manny, the opportunity here to improve upon his first waxing of Barrera, a former three-time world champion with a notably impressive record and a reputation of marked skill and durability, will be golden. An impressive early-round stoppage will equate to a mega-rematch offer for a second go-round with Juan Manuel Marquez, another bout long overdue and with the added spin of unfinished business. Alternatively, the undefeated and ever dangerous lure of a bout with Edwin Valero, if held in the Philippines, could draw upwards of two-hundred thousand spectators on top off massive PPV potential.

On October 6th, regardless of the outcome, the very fact that this bout actually came together is a miracle in itself. The different paths these two great warriors took in the four years after their initial meeting was punctuated with victory, defeat, elation and the unexpected. Each did well to get to this point, along the way providing fans with something to root for. Despite the general expectation on the outcome, do be too surprised if somehow the unexpected occurs

vCash

vCash

Inside Pacquiao-Barrera II

By Robert Morales

In Manny Pacquiao, we have a fighter who has not yet reached his peak. So says his trainer, the classy Freddie Roach. In Marco Antonio Barrera, we have a fighter who is a tick or two past his prime, but still possesses a combination of talent and courage that could give anyone fits on a given night.

It’s just the sort of mix that figures to provide fans a thrilling main event between the two super featherweights Saturday at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. It will be a rematch of a November 2003 bout won by Pacquiao via 11th-round technical knockout. It’s the only time Barrera has been stopped in his illustrious career.

Last week, we got to spend some time with Roach and Pacquiao a day before the rest of the media did. It was a fairly busy Wild Card gym in Hollywood, what with regulars as well as friends and camp members of Pacquiao on hand. But it was all business. Pacquiao was absolutely tremendous in everything he did. He looked mean and ready.

As Pacquiao (44-3-2, 35 KOs) hit the speed bag, we sat down with Roach on the apron of the ring. Many subjects were broached during our chat, but it was interesting to hear Roach talk about how the best is yet to come for Pacquiao, and how he has gone about trying to help Pacquiao, 28, be the best he can be. That includes making him a better boxer by shoring up his defense and honing up his technical skills.

“The one thing I'll never take away from him is his natural ability, and that's his willingness to exchange and to fight, be aggressive,” Roach said. “I mean, that's what he is. That's who he is. I can't take that away from him. The thing is, I will never change him. I try to improve his skills, of course. Some (people) tell me he just has a good left hand, and I go and work on the right hand. The right hand's coming along really good and then someone told me his defense is really terrible. But when you go for it, you put yourself out there. And you expose yourself.

“But we try and throw in a little more defense, a little more head movement. And you know, I don't think he's at his best yet. I think he's still capable of doing more and he's very open to that. He likes to be taught more. The thing is, we're trying to make him a better all-around fighter. But I'm not going to take away from his aggressiveness. That's what he is and that's what makes him exciting.”

Well, we are happy to hear that because Roach is right. The thing people like most about Pacquiao is that he goes toe to toe with everybody. He doesn’t pick and choose his opponents to do that. One thing we know is that we never have to worry about Pacquiao running from anybody. He’s as ferocious as they come today.

And Roach is right about Pacquiao. He does seem to have that frame of mind that he wants to get better. Here he is either the No. 1 or No. 2 pound-for-pound fighter in the world in probably most respected polls – he’s No. 1 in mine – but he’d never tell you that.

“I look at myself like, I’m just an ordinary fighter, but I can fight a good fighter,” Pacquiao said with a straight face as he sat in his dressing room after his intense workout. “That’s how I look at myself right now.”

In other words, unlike Floyd Mayweather Jr. – who is probably No. 1 in more polls

than Pacquiao – Pacquiao doesn’t boast about being the best. And that could be because he actually believes he still has improving to do before he reaches that plateau. You have to love that attitude.

Then there is Barrera. He is 14-2 in his past 16 fights. But the first of those two losses during that span was against Pacquiao. The second one was in his last fight in March against fellow Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez. Barrera not only is looking to avenge his loss to Pacquiao, he is trying to avoid back-to-back losses in the twilight of his career. He has gone on record as saying that this will be his last fight, but it’s hard to believe he would pass up a chance at a rubber match should he beat Pacquiao on Saturday. Either way, he is one motivated future Hall of Famer.

The thing is, will that motivation be enough to overcome his own deteriorating skills as well as the monster in the ring that is going to be Pacquiao? During a recent conference call, Barrera answered all the questions. At one point, he became very animated when talking about why this fight is so important to him. The passion he displayed made me wonder if he just might be able to come up with what could be perceived as the biggest of victory his career.

“More than anything, it’s the motivation that gets me up for these fights,” he said through translator Eric Gomez, who is the matchmaker for Golden Boy Promotions, which promotes Barrera. “The motivation of these nay-sayers, the people who keep putting me down. They say that I’m out. I like to shut their mouths.

“It’s happened in the past. Yes, they criticize me. They told me that I had been done, but I’ve come back and shut their mouths. They say they’re the experts in boxing. Just because you watch boxing doesn’t mean you’re an expert. I like to prove them wrong more than anything. I think that yeah, this fight, I’m going to have a chance to do the same thing.”

Now, here’s the thing: Is this a passion that will help carry Barrera, 33, to victory? Or is it the kind of passion that will hurt him? Later on in the call, Barrera hinted – as he has before – that something was rotten in Denmark regarding the decision loss he received at the hands of Marquez. He was asked to give a list of the top fighters in Mexico’s history. He ended naming a top 12. Erik Morales was No. 11 and Barrera put himself 12th. Nowhere to be found was Marquez. Where is he in the mix? Barrera was asked.

“Those 12 fighters that I just named are fighters that have won in the ring, not fights that were fixed or they (meaning the judges) helped them win.”

Hey, if Barrera (63-5, 42 KOs) is going into a fight with arguably the pound-for-pound king of this boxing jungle still perturbed about a fight that happened seven months ago, that could be a detriment.

One thing is for sure, Barrera has come back from losses before. After back to back setbacks to Junior Jones in November 1996 and April 1997, respectively, Barrera went 6-0 with one no-contest in his next seven fights before losing to Morales in their first fight in February 2000. Barrera then came back to win eight consecutive fights. Included in that streak were wins over Naseem Hamed and Morales. And after losing to Pacquiao, Barrera won six in a row – including his third fight with Morales – before losing to Marquez.

This ability is one of the reasons why Barrera is, in my mind, much better than the 12th best fighter in Mexico’s history. When the man is down, he does get back up. It’s also one reason why his promoter, Oscar De La Hoya, is convinced his man will have his hand raised in a few days.

“He’s the underdog and people are counting him out,” De La Hoya said. “But I believe that’s what he thrives on. That’s what he feeds off of so he can be a better fighter in that ring.”

It sounds good. But the feeling here is that Pacquiao will once again stop Barrera. This time it won’t take 11 rounds to do it.

Robert Morales can be reached at rmorales@15rounds.com

Banned
    vCash

Stupid HBO

Their prefight special for Pac and Marco is getting my hopes up.

I know: Sucker.

Hawk

vCash

Is Manny Getting a Free Pass Mayweather Didn’t?

By Cliff Rold

Nothing in boxing is ever 100-percent given. Manny Pacquiao (44-3-2, 35 KO, #1 at 130 lbs. Ring Magazine) defeating, probably knocking out, Marco Antonio Barrera (63-5, 42 KO, #3) for a second time this Saturday on HBO Pay-Per-View, live from Las Vegas, is pretty close.

Their first fight was a one-sided 11th round stoppage in favor of the Philippines favorite son in 2003. Four years later, Pacquiao, 28, appears still near his prime while Barrera, 33, has shown evidence of being well past his. Unless Pacquiao shows up distracted or out of shape, this one should be a thrilling but one-sided show.

Certainly the fans won’t react that way. There were some who felt Barrera earned a win in a decision loss against Juan Manuel Marquez in his last outing. Off that and his reputation, Barrera will have his believers, those who can’t help but think that the great old warrior can summon one last miracle. Boxing has long thrived on that sort of hope. It sells.

And ultimately that’s why we’re seeing this bout this weekend. It’s a business bout more than a competitive one and for Pacquiao, whose business has been mired in contract disputes between Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions, it at least gets him back in the ring. He’ll make a nice chunk of change for a fight that, when the names are read, sounds better than it is. In the long run, it isn’t the worst thing. This column isn’t about the long run.

Read the Rest at: http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=10590

vCash

Powerful Pacquiao complete package
    Robert Morales
    sgvtribune

For decades the debate among men has been - Ginger or Mary Ann? That was based, of course, on which Gilligan's Island beauty one would most like to date.

Boxing can also be a beautiful thing to behold. But when it comes to judging which fighter in the world is deserving of being anointed No. 1 pound-for-pound, it can't just be about the pretty way a fighter goes about his business. At least from this vantage point, there has got to be some viciousness to go along with those attractive technical skills.

That's why in this space, Manny Pacquiao is the top fighter in the world, pound-for-pound.

He boxes well, his defense is improving and, most importantly, he goes into every fight with the intention of knocking out his opponent. He runs from nobody, even if he is in the ring with someone who hits just as hard as he does. And Pacquiao hits very, very hard.

It is the opinion here that only one other fighter in the past 40 years has been as ferocious in the ring fight in and fight out, and that's the legendary Roberto Duran, arguably the greatest lightweight in history.

Interestingly, more experts still have Floyd Mayweather Jr. as No. 1 in their respective pound-for-pound polls. Even though Mayweather definitely picks and chooses which fighters to trade with, and which fighters to stick-and-move with.
    Freddie Roach trains Pacquiao out of the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood. He scoffs at the idea that so many still have Mayweather ranked ahead of Pacquiao, who Saturday will take on Marco Antonio Barrera in the super featherweight main event at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. This will be a rematch of a fight four years ago won by Pacquiao via 11th-round technical knockout. HBO pay-per-view will televise for $49.95.

"You know, Mayweather's a good boxer," Roach said. "Is he a complete fighter? No, he can't finish a guy. He's kind of boring to watch. I think Pacquiao's a much more exciting fighter and a much more complete fighter. I think he boxes well. His defense isn't quite what Mayweather's is, but Mayweather doesn't take chances.

"When you've got a guy who doesn't take chances and really is not a complete fighter, in my mind. ... I mean, this game's about knockouts. You don't want to see 12-round decisions. You know, maybe a real good one. An Arturo Gatti-type fight. A good, hard fight.

"I like Mayweather. But is he the best fighter in the world? How can you say that a guy who almost puts you to sleep is the best fighter in the world? I don't see it."

Oscar De La Hoya promotes Barrera and he co-promotes Pacquiao (44-3-2, 35 KOs) along with Bob Arum. The two promoters had interesting takes on the pound-for-pound issue, which is strictly a subjective poll based on which fighter impresses the most regardless of weight class.

"Well, he's definitely the most exciting fighter in the world," De La Hoya said of Pacquiao, "and there's no argument that people will call him the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world" should he again defeat Barrera. "Obviously, that mythical pound-for-pound title, you can make many arguments.

"For instance, you have Pacquiao, you have Mayweather, you have (Bernard) Hopkins. You have fighters like Miguel Cotto. ... At this point, there are so many great fights going on and happening, I believe it's getting more difficult to see who is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world."

Not for Arum, president of Top Rank Inc. There is no doubt in his mind that Pacquiao is already deserving of that accolade.

"I think Manny should be considered that," Arum said. "I don't think Floyd Mayweather can beat either Miguel Cotto or Shane Mosley (who square off Nov. 10). I don't see why anybody would pick Floyd to be a pound-for-pound best fighter in the world."

As for Ginger and Mary Ann, it's not even close. Ginger in a landslide.

Undercard

Saturday's event at Mandalay Bay will include Steven Luevano of La Puente defending his world featherweight championship against Antonio Davis. Librado Andrade of La Habra will take on Yusaf Mack for a regional super middleweight title and Francisco Bojado and Steve Forbes will duke it out in a super lightweight fight.

Peter-McCline

Jameel "Big-time" McCline on Saturday will have a chance to bring a piece of the heavyweight championship back to America - sort of. He will challenge Sam Peter of Nigeria for his interim belt at Madison Square Garden. Showtime will televise.

Peter was scheduled to challenge champion Oleg Maskaev of Russia for his belt on Saturday at MSG. But Maskaev was forced to pull out with an injury, so Peter was named interim champion because he is the top contender to Maskaev's belt.

Initially, McCline was scheduled to fight comebacking Vitali Klitschko on Sept. 22, but Klitschko pulled out with an injury. Then McCline was slated to fight DaVarryl Williamson on the Peter-Maskaev undercard. Now McCline is replacing Maskaev, and loving it.

"It's been a wonderful, wonderful turn of events," said McCline, of West Palm Beach, Fla. "I'm very excited. This is what I live for.

"This will be my 12th year in the business and my fourth title fight. So I have the experience, I have the dedication."

McCline, 37, challenged Wladimir Klitschko, Chris Byrd and Nikolay Valuev for their championship belts in 2002, 2004 and last January, respectively. McCline lost all three fights. What's worse, in the fight against the 7-foot Russian Valuev, McCline blew out his knee in the third round, resulting in a technical-knockout loss.

But he said during a conference call this week that he has recovered well.

"I blew what is called my patella tendon," McCline said. "And it's a very important tendon that holds the top of the leg to the bottom of the leg. Without that, the leg just simply does not work. So it was a devastating injury.

"Like I said, it goes to show my mental fortitude and my resilience both as an athlete and as a man, how training, the rehab process, is both rigorous and painful. But I thank God it was strong, stronger than ever. The knee was not even one bit of an issue during training. It's 100 percent healed."

McCline is 38-7-3 with 23 knockouts. Peter, 27, is 28-1 with 22 knockouts.

On tap

Tonight on Versus, Fernando Montiel (34-2-1, 25 KOs) of Mexico and Luis Melendez (25-2-1, 20 KOs) of Colombia will tangle for a world super flyweight championship at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas.

Then Friday, Yonnhy Perez of Santa Fe Springs via Colombia will square off with Alexander Fedorov of Russia in the bantamweight main event at Omega Products International in Corona.

The Thompson Boxing Promotions event will be televised by Showtime as part of is ShoBox series for up and coming fighters. Perez is 13-0 with 10 knockouts. Fedorov is 17-4-1 with 10 knockouts.

vCash

Manny Pacquiao's traveling circus

As boxer prepares to face Barrera, trainer Roach has dealt with distractions including moving camp to Philippines, a chaotic gym environment and reports of marital, gambling problems.
    By Lance Pugmire, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    October 5, 2007

LAS VEGAS -- For Freddie Roach, it was like being a hard-working father returning home early from a long business trip. Instead of being greeted by his children's adoring hugs, there was a surprise teenage party in progress, with neighbor kids sipping the home's finest champagne, smoking dad's cigars and pouring beers from mom's orange juice carafe.

Boxing trainers reach their breaking points too, and Roach's came in August inside a stifling hot gym in the Philippines that was occupied not only by his star fighter, Manny Pacquiao, but by more than 100 hangers-on who were taking pictures and chatting up the super-featherweight boxer. It was merely the latest distraction for the national icon who will fight Saturday against a proud former champion, Marco Antonio Barrera, bent on revenge.

Roach had to unexpectedly uproot his training base from Hollywood to the Philippines because Pacquiao reported problems with his wife. Upon arrival in the islands, there were reports that the charismatic boxer -- considered one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world -- had been gambling too much.

Roach observed the chaos infecting his disciplined environment, and took a stand.

"Everyone, get the . . . out of the gym!" Roach barked to the annoying throng.

"I was really mean," Roach recalled last week. "But we never had that problem again."

The hectic life of the 28-year-old Pacquiao is pointed to as a source of concern by both those around the fast-moving southpaw and other boxing observers, who say he's in danger of a downfall, perhaps even in a fight in which he's more than a 3-1 favorite.

"When there are major distractions, the fighter doesn't want to admit it -- he'll think, 'As long as I train hard. . . .' But he's in denial," said boxer-promoter Oscar De La Hoya, Barrera's promoter, who knows how the tug of celebrity and personal crises can shape a fighter's preparation.

When he last fought, in April, Pacquiao was in the midst of campaigning for a national election that he would ultimately lose in May. Pacquiao (44-3-2, 35 knockouts) fought most fiercely after being cut in the sixth round and scored an eighth-round knockout victory over Jorge Solis in San Antonio.

He fell to his knees and tears welled in his eyes after an emotional triumph that temporarily relieved the weight of the election pressure and his involvement in a legal battle between De La Hoya and Top Rank's Bob Arum for the right to promote him.

Now, as Pacquiao has readied for a rematch of his impressive 11th-round technical knockout victory over Barrera in 2003, he has been burdened by reports of excessive gambling and marital strife while negotiating a film and reality television project in addition to his many endorsement deals.

"When the fight is on, I set aside all those things," Pacquiao said last week after a training session in Hollywood. "The stuff that bothers me . . . in training, I'm just concentrated on the fight. I do have fame and popularity, but I don't think the distractions can get to me."

Barrera, however, knows there's precedent in this rematch for the negative toll of lacking focus.

"This is a contact sport that's very dangerous," Barrera said. "If you're not mentally fit, it's a problem."

While training for Pacquiao in November 2003, Barrera (63-5, 42 KOs) had his Big Bear training camp uprooted in October by the massive Old Fire in the San Bernardino Mountains. He also dealt with rumors of his own marital problems, and had to get medical clearance to fight with steel plates in his head -- inserted in a 1997 procedure.

That set up Barrera's canvas thud, a moment defined, Golden Boy Promotions Chief Executive Richard Schaefer said, by the fallen veteran fighter delivering a stunned look to a ringside De La Hoya as if asking, "What happened?"

"I just had a bad night," Barrera said. "The big difference [in] this fight is the preparation."

Pacquiao was supposed to train for six weeks at Roach's Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, but in August he abruptly scrapped the plan, returning to the Philippines to be with his wife, Jinky, and the couple's three children.

Roach said Pacquiao returned to his home country to answer rumors that he had engaged in an affair with actress Ara Mina while the pair filmed a movie, "Son of the Commander."

Manila reporters later witnessed Jinky visiting Pacquiao at his new training location on an island resort in Sebu City.

"There are no problems with my wife," Pacquiao said. "When I went to Sebu and saw the training camp, and felt how hot and humid it was, I thought, 'Man, this is going to be a good place to train.' They have a very steep mountain there that I jog. Freddie agreed, so we stayed there."

Earlier in August, Pacquiao filed a $500,000 lawsuit against the Manila Bulletin newspaper after reporter Nick Giongco, who covers the Pacquiao "beat," said he wrote the boxer was "said to be a compulsive gambler."

Pacquiao told The Times he does gamble occasionally, even playing poker at Southern California casinos, and raises roosters in his home country that are used in legalized cockfights that are gambled upon in the Philippines.

"To me, poker is a tournament, like sports," Pacquiao said. "Compulsive is just throwing money away. I'm not doing that. I play poker just like I love to play basketball and pool.

"The cockfighting in the Philippines is not illegal. I've always been involved in cockfighting. I raise the chickens. I don't go to the [cockfighting] arena and gamble. I just give them my chickens, and let the others go to the arena and gamble on it."

Amid the background stories, Roach said his hard line worked well.

"Manny got into great shape," Roach said. "He had a great camp. We kept him very isolated from all of that. No one got into his hotel room after 9 p.m. I know because I kicked everyone out of there -- friends, governors, mayors.

"There's always a lot of pressure on him. He loves the camera, he loves the attention, he loves it all."

lance.pugmire@latimes.com

* Who: Manny Pacquiao (44-3-2, 35 KOs) vs. Marco Antonio Barrera (63-5, 42 KOs).

* What: Super-featherweight bout (12 rounds).

* When: The undercard begins at 6 p.m. on HBO pay-per-view.

* Where: Mandalay Bay Resort, Las Vegas.

vCash

With rumors of excessive gambling and marital strife plaguing super featherweight Manny Pacquiao, right, his trainer, Freddie Roach, left, has had to taking a heavy-handed approach to training sessions, leading up to Saturday's fight against Marco Antonio Barrera in Las Vegas.
    (Jae C. Hong / AP)

vCash

Pacquiao favored over Barrera in rematch

The last time the two fought, the Filipino boxer shocked the boxing world with his 11th-round TKO.
    By Lonnie White, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    October 5, 2007

It has been nearly four years since Manny Pacquiao defeated Marco Antonio Barrera with an 11th-round technical knockout. The two acclaimed boxers will meet again Saturday in Las Vegas in a non-title super-featherweight bout.

Pacquiao will enter the ring at Mandalay Bay as a heavy favorite at -285, which means a $285 bet will pay $100 if the Filipino boxer is victorious. A $100 bet on Barrera will pay $225 if he wins.

These odds are much different compared with their first bout in 2003 when big money flowed in the direction of Barrera, who already was regarded as one of the sport's top champions.

Since Pacquiao shocked the boxing world with his upset victory, he has taken over the role as the fighter people love to support.

Pacquiao has fought eight times since he defeated Barrera and he has been favored in each bout, including his third fight against Erik Morales (who had defeated Pacquiao 10 months earlier).

Barrera, who has fought six times since that 2003 loss to Pacquiao, lost his last fight to Juan Manuel Marquez, who won a 12-round decision March 17.

vCash

Barrera looks to knock out his critics

He has choice words for people who say his best days are gone.
    By Robert Morales, Staff writer
    sgvtribune

Marco Antonio Barrera throws a left and knocks back Ricardo Juarez during their EBC super featherweight title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, September 2006 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Barrera will square off with Manny Pacquiao on Saturday. (Ethan Miller / Getty Images)Perhaps for the first time in his esteemed career, Marco Antonio Barrera appears to have a large chip on his shoulder heading into a fight.

During the promotion for his rematch Saturday against Manny Pacquiao at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Barrera has taken shots at those he believes responsible for him losing a decision to fellow Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez last March. He has blasted Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach, and hammered the experts who have said that his best days are behind him.

After the final news conference Wednesday at the House of Blues inside Mandalay Bay, the obligatory photos of the fighters posing side by side were taken. Pacquiao was smiling, looking confident and relaxed. Barrera, who usually has the same look, appeared like he was mad at the world.

For some fighters, that works. But Barrera has never been that way, which makes one wonder just what kind of psyche he will bring into what he says will be his last big fight.

Even when Barrera was in the midst of three fights with countryman Erik Morales, he didn't seem this perturbed. And he and Morales were hated rivals. But the loss to Marquez really seemed to get under Barrera's skin. Afterward, he suggested that his promotional company, Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, must have had something to do with the unanimous decision the judges awarded Marquez, who is also promoted by Golden Boy.
    During a conference call last week, Barrera revisited that when he was asked to name the top fighters in Mexico's history.

He gave a top 12, putting Morales 11th and himself 12th. What, no Marquez?

"Those 12 fighters I just named are fighters that have won in the ring, not fights that were fixed or they helped them win," Barrera said.

That was a shockingly uncharacteristic comment by Barrera, considering everything Marquez has accomplished in his terrific career.

Then there was the total disdain he showed for Roach, who has said he is going to make sure the Nevada State Athletic Commission inspects Barrera's hand wraps. Roach said Barrera's hands are known to be wrapped too heavily. That provides a fighter an illegal advantage because it adds extra crunch to a punch.

In the first fight between Pacquiao and Barrera four years ago in San Antonio, Roach had the Texas commission check Barrera beforehand. The commission agreed that Barrera's hand-wraps were excessive and ordered him to re-wrap. Pacquiao won via 11th-round technical knockout.

"Freddie is not a good trainer," Barrera said of Roach, widely considered one of the game's best. "He shouldn't be worried about me, he should be worried about Manny Pacquiao. I have fought in Vegas a lot of times. I've never had problems with my wraps.

"He's not a very good trainer. Look what he did to Oscar. He helped Oscar lose. Look what he did with Israel Vazquez. Israel Vazquez got knocked out."

Barrera was referring to De La Hoya's loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May, and to Vazquez's technical knockout loss to Rafael Marquez in March. Roach worked both losing corners. It should be pointed out that Vazquez quit in that fight after the seventh round with an injured nose, which had nothing to do with Roach and everything to do with Vazquez. Vazquez changed trainers and knocked out Marquez in a rematch in August.

And about those experts, many of whom are predicting that Barrera is too far past his prime to hang with a much younger, and very fierce, 28-year-old Pacquiao.

With passion, Barrera, 33, shot them down with rapid fire.

"More than anything, it's the motivation that gets me up for these fights," Barrera said. "The motivation of the nay-sayers, people that are putting me down. I like to shut their mouths. It's happened in the past, you know, yes, they criticize me. They told me that I was done, but I've come back and shut their mouths.

"They say they're the experts in boxing. Just because you watch boxing doesn't mean you're an expert. I like to prove them wrong, and more than anything, I think that in this fight I'm going to have a chance to do the same thing."

Yes, this is Barrera, known as one of the more classy guys in the sport during an 18-year career in which he has gone 63-5 with 42 knockouts and won world titles in three weight classes. It could be that Barrera is feeling the pressure. After this fight, he said that if anything, he will have a farewell bout against a non-elite opponent.

If he again loses to Pacquiao, it will be a difficult pill to swallow. It would mean that he will have lost the last two fights he had against world-class competition. Not exactly an avenue a prideful man like Barrera wants to take heading into retirement.

But his promoter believes this is just the kind of situation that will bring out the best in Barrera.

"He is the underdog and people are counting him out, but I believe that's what he thrives on," De La Hoya said. "That's what he feeds off of so he can be a better fighter in that ring."

Even Bob Arum, who co-promotes Pacquiao along with De La Hoya, is of the mind that Barrera will be a difficult nut for Pacquiao to crack Saturday.

"Nobody has to tell me about Marco Antonio Barrera," Arum said. "I know that when his back is to the wall, he's most dangerous."

vCash

The Fight: Manny Pacquiao Vs Marco Antonio Barrera II
    By Dan Hernandez-October 5, 2007
    Ringside Report.com

Marco Antonio Barrera, 63-5, 42 KO’s, Vs. WBC International Super Featherweight Champion Manny Pacquiao, 44-3-2, 35 KO’s, will be set for 12 rounds and will take place this Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Their first fight ending in an eleven round TKO victory for Pacquiao set the PacMan on the path to international stardom and left Barrera seemingly at the end of his career. Pacquiao’s worldwide acceptance and star has been enhanced since this encounter with definitive knockouts of former champion Erik Morales (twice), Hector Velazquez, and Oscar Larios. Barrera has managed a comeback with a close loss to Juan Manuel Marquez and victories over Paulie Ayala, Erik Morales and 2 wins over Rocky Juarez.

The questions are: Is Pacquiao focused on this fight? Has he devoted enough attention to boxing to be at the top of his game? Does Barrera have the energy and power to overcome the devastating defeat he suffered in the first fight? Has his age and accumulative ring wars finally, really, caught up with him? I believe the potential is there for a terrific fight. Pacquiao has to prove once again that he deserves all the accolades and Barrera must show once again that you can never dismiss him as a dangerous opponent.

Golden Boy Promotions (GBP) and Cerveza Tecate certainly believe in the potential of this fight. Tecate, one of Mexico’s leading beer brands, in association with GBP, has thrown its hat firmly in the middle of the boxing arena.
    Carlos Boughton, brand manager for Tecate international, stated in an interview, “Being able to support the Barrera vs. Pacquiao fight through an integrated campaign is the most exciting way for Tecate to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month.” He also stated ‘We recognize how boxing is growing in popularity among Hispanics, and believe the October 6 fight will solidify Tecate’s presence as a major sponsor of the sport. We look forward to collaborating with Golden Boy Promotions on additional upcoming events.”

Tecate’s boxing platform includes sponsorships of “Boxeo en esta Esquina,” “LO Mejor de Boxeo en Esta Esquina” and the title sponsorship of “Solo Boxeo Tecate,” Three popular boxing programs on Telefutura and Galavision. Tecate has definitely decided to be a major player in boxing events starting triumphantly with the recent DelaHoya-Mosley bout. The Barrera-Pacquiao fight is one of many hotly anticipated match-ups.

Pacquiao was dominate over Barrera in their first encounter and hopes to repeat that success. He has the tools to achieve this goal and if his heart and conditioning are as they were previously, Barrera could be in a lot of trouble. By all accounts, Manny is one of the hardest punchers the division has known and the rapidity of his punches has proven overwhelming to most of his opponents.

Barrera is one of the sports true greats; however, he is 33 years of age and has been through many ring wars. People keep writing him off and he continues to shrug off his detractors as he does most punches, and comes back harder and stronger. I am hoping that this is one of those times.

There was a time not to long ago, that Manny would focus on the head of an opponent. He has become more rounded recently and has added an inside attack that is devastating. Manny may now be the most complete fighter, offensively speaking, active today.

History is on the side of Manny Pacquiao. It seldom happens that someone who was as soundly beaten as Barrera was in that first fight is able to come back victoriously against the same opponent. There is the case of Floyd Patterson after losing his heavyweight title to Ingemar Johansson. After suffering many knockdowns and a stoppage in their first fight, Patterson was able to find the heart and ability to twice knockout Johansson in rematches. However, Johansson was really a one-punch wonder and regardless of how effective that one punch was, found himself at a disadvantage once his limited arsenal was exposed. There have been others, but not many and Pacquiao has no such limitations.

Some experts felt that Juan Manuel Marquez was able to usurp some of Manny’s power and mystique. They also feel that Barrera, who is known for his ability to outbox sluggers and punch out boxers, will be able to apply what he learned from the Marquez-Pacquiao fight and win the rematch. This is exactly what makes this match so interesting.

I am looking forward to attending this bout and cheering for a good fight. I would have to choose Manny Pacquiao to come out of this encounter with his hand raised in victory. At 28, he in his prime and under the training of Freddie Roach has improved considerably from the first time these two met. I also expect Barrera to be better prepared and less distracted. Regardless, the result should end as the last one did, with a late round stoppage in favor of the PacMan.

On the under card, Francisco Bojado, 17-2, 12 KO’s, takes on Steve Forbes, 32-5, 9 KO’s, and Librado Andrade, 25-1, 19 KO’s, takes on Yusef Mack, 24-3, 12 KO’s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast