Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IBHOF 2006 inductees

Dan1213

IBHOF 2006 inductees

IBHOF 2006 inductees!

Thursday, January 12 2006

The International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, NY, has announced the newest class of inductees to enter the Hall. Living inductees include junior flyweight champions Michael Carbajal and Humberto Gonzalez, historian/publisher Hank Kaplan and promoter/manager Jarvis Astaire. Posthumous honorees are three-time lightweight champion Edwin Rosario, welterweight/middleweight champion Lou Brouillard, light heavyweight champion Jimmy Slattery and middleweight champion Teddy Yarosz, trainer Whitey Bimstein, promoter Rodolfo Sabbatini, publisher/editor Stanley Weston and Jem Carney.

greek1237
    not bad,

Was kinda of shock to know Slattery was not in the hall.

Boxscribe

IBHOF

I'm delighted for the guys that got in - especially Hank Kaplan and Yarosz - but very, very dissapointed that Holman Williams never made it (again).

theironbar

Re: IBHOF

Can somebody post the list of the original nominees? I know it on the 'Zone a few weeks/months ago... thanks in advance...

BDeskins

I can think of several flyweights who are more deserving! Though I was really glad to see that Yarosz was finally inducted!

wolgast

what happened to Eddie Perkins, Lloyd Marshall, Kid Norfolk, Holman Williams, Tiger Jack Fox--the Negro Leagues of Boxing?

crold1

UNREAL...Yuh doesn't get in with Carbajal and Gonzlaes. Rosario? Sheesh!

Boxscribe

Voting

Someone who is on the voting panel must know - or be able to find out - how the voting actually broke down.

I would be interested to see the number of votes cast for those on the ballot.

Anyone?

TKO Tom

Here is the Modern Category List. An elector has to pick 10 names and of those ten three will be inducted.

Georgie Abrams

Horacio Accavallo

Joey Archer

Jose Becerra

Johnny Bratton

Michael Carbajal

Jimmy Carruthers

Jung-Koo Chang

Donald Curry

Hiroyuki Ebihara

Tommy Farr

Tiger Jack Fox

Ceferino Garcia

Betulio Gonzalez

Humberto Gonzalez

Yoko Gushiken

Carlos Hernandez

Rafael Herrera

Al Hostak

Harry Jeffra

Peter Kane

Cocoa Kid

Pone Kingpetch

Tippy Larkin

Jose Legra

Raul Macias

Ernesto Marcel

Lloyd Marshall

Freddie Mills

Brian Mitchell

Rinty Monaghan

Masao Ohba

Ken Overlin

Eddie Perkins

Edwin Rosario

Gustave Roth

Lou Salica

Dave Sands

Petey Scalzo

Samuel Serrano

Yoshio Shirai

Kid Tunero

Holman Williams

Myung-Woo Yuh

Hilario Zapata

For the record, I chose the ones in bold on my ballot.

BDeskins

I have to commend you on the fighters that you picked. How many voters are there in all?

Boxscribe

Ballot

Thanks TKO Tom.

If you voted for ten - and everyone else votes for their own ten from that list of 45 - is it then the three fighters with the most top ten votes that get elected?

Do your own ten get ranked 1-10 or does their position on the list of ten not matter?

Knowing how many voters there are would give an idea of how many votes someone would need to get elected.

Also, who put the list of 45 together to start with?

TKO Tom

IBHOF

Every member of the Boxing Writers Association of America is sent a ballot and they choose ten fighters who they feel are deserving. The votes are tabulated by a nationally recognized accounting firm. The three fighters with the most votes overall get inducted into the HOF.

I'm not sure how many individual voters there are. I think over 100 but less than 200.

A committee at the Hall of fame puts the list together.

For this year I am disappointed that Edwin Rosario got in. I don't think he is as deserving as many other fighters on the list.

theironbar

Thanks for the list Tom -- and I like your choices!

With all due respect to the late Edwin Rosario and his family, I agree and don't think he should be in the IBHOF...

PeteLeo

Well . . . maybe Edwin doesn't meet the strictest criteria for inclusion in those hallowed halls, but he was a four-time world champ, he could hit as hard as any 135 lb. human being I've ever seen, and he turned a strutting, self-aggrandizing, shit-spouting, snake-wearing Livingstone Bramble into a barking mutt in under two rounds, and for that alone, gentlemen, Mr. Rosario sits in an exalted seat in my Hall of Fame. PeteLeo.

Boxscribe

IBHOF

Thanks again Tom.

I too would like to commend you on your choices for induction. Maybe next year for Holman Williams, Eddie Booker, Lloyd Marshall and cocoa Kid.

TKO Tom

IBHOF 2006

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I spent a lot of time on my choices and I weighed them carefully. If a person really does that it becomes quite a difficult process.

I did vote for Brian Mitchell. If you look at his career and body of work I think he's right up there with anyone. I'd like to see him get in one day.

Forum Flash

Re: IBHOF 2006

I try to go to the induction weekend festivities every
    year, but I gotta tell ya, this year's crop is nothing to
    get excited about. Not sure if I'll attend.

gregbeyer

so pete...do i take it bramble is not on your list:lol
    greg

PeteLeo

Maybe next year. PeteLeo.

+ Reply to Thread