Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone know if Byrd/Povetkin will be televised?

Administrator
    vCash

Anyone know if Byrd/Povetkin will be televised?

I assume no but I'd figure I'd ask...
    I'm very curious to see how Povetkin handles Byrd. I believe he will do well more so since Byrd has slowed down a lot. It could be perfect timing for a young energetic guy like Povetkin.

vCash

Povetkin

Is Unbeaten Heavyweight Alexander Povetkin It?

By Cliff Rold

If you’ve heard of 28-year old 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist Alexander Povetkin (13-0, 10 KO, unrated) of Tschechow, Russia, this Saturday, with no U.S. TV, is one of the biggest days of the 2007 boxing calendar.

If you’re asking “Who the hell is Alexander Povetkin?” then Saturday will determine whether that question is really worth answering.

Povetkin has underground buzz but, in only his fourteenth fight, is he really ready for the challenge in front of him? Even infrequent viewers know the name Chris Byrd (40-3, 21 KO); the 37-year old from Flint, Michigan has faced a laundry list of top heavyweights in the last ten years. Wins over Vitali Klitschko, David Tua and Evander Holyfield and runs with IBF and WBO belts get one’s name out there even if all Byrd’s efforts haven’t been scintillating.

Byrd after all has never been a heavyweight in the classic sense. He doesn’t land highlight reel KO’s or engage in wars. He jabs, slips, maneuvers. He boxes. It has extended his time near the top and his steady paychecks even if it has kept him away from the biggest dollars. With a crushing loss to Wladimir Klitschko in the spring of 2006, a loss to the on-paper novice Povetkin could end all that.

At another time, ‘could’ would be ‘would,’ but these are the heavyweights of 2007 so skepticism is easy to come by. Parity, and in some sense apathy, has kept the pool of big men shallow and recycling. Povetkin, of all the division’s prospects and rising contenders, is in the best position to turn skepticism into hope for the future.

With so few fights, there are still more questions than answers. Can Povetkin take a shot? Don’t know. Will he, at 6’2 and around 225 lbs, be able to handle much bigger men like Nicolay Valuev? Don’t know. Can he handle an elite, slick, veteran boxer? Again, don’t know.

Yet.

That answer comes this weekend.

Read the Rest at: http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=10901

vCash
    Against 2-Time Heavyweight Champion Chris Byrd This Saturday
    Alexander Povetkin Takes a Big Step Up Against 2-Time Heavyweight Champion Chris Byrd This Saturday
    By Geno McGahee
    Ringside Report.com

The 2-Time Heavyweight Champion, Chris Byrd, 40-3-1, 21 KO’s, will be taking on the 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist, Alexander Povetkin, 13-0, 10 KO’s, in an IBF Heavyweight Title Eliminator. Byrd has held both the IBF and the WBO versions of the heavyweight title, but appears to want to reign on top of the division yet again despite the fact that the best days of his career may be long behind him. In his last few outings he hasn’t looked overly impressive and the speed, reflexes, and defense that he once relied on, seem to be fading away.

Byrd may be fighting for respect as well…something that he never received as a heavyweight champion. He has beaten some notable fighters like Jameel McCline, David Tua, Evander Holyfield, and Vitali Klitschko, but his style just didn’t appeal to the fans. Bouts against DaVarryl Williamson and Fres Oquendo would lose many of the fans that he did have, and the one-sided knockout defeat at the hands of current IBF Kingpin, Wladimir Klitschko, marked the end of his career to many, but he wants to prove that he still has some fight left in him as he takes on Alexander Povetkin.

Povetkin has made a name for himself in his brief career and he is on the fast track to the heavyweight title. His biggest win was a one-sided unanimous decision victory over Larry Donald. Donald, arguably, should have gotten the decision over former WBA Heavyweight Champion, Nikolay Valuev, in their encounter, but would lose it on the cards, questionably. The Donald that did very well against the giant couldn’t touch Povetkin. From start to finish, Donald was controlled and out-pointed. This may be the best comparison bout for the upcoming Byrd encounter. Donald is more stationary than Byrd, but they are both skilled boxers without much power in their fists. Povetkin’s team may have matched him very well in this Saturday’s contest, as he faces a former champion that can’t hurt him, and has seen his better days.

The way that the heavyweight division is going, it is hard to go against Povetkin in this bout. Sultan Ibragimov, Ruslan Chagaev, Wladimir Klitschko, and Oleg Maskaev (and Sam Peter) stand atop the division. There are very few Americans capable of knocking off one of them, let alone four, and with Povetkin, and Valuev in the mix, it’s easy to see where the best boxing big men come from. Everything favors Povetkin to beat Byrd, including home field advantage. Some American boxers have claimed not to get a fair shake when they go overseas and this too may play a part in Saturday’s showdown.

In the co-main event, European Middleweight Champion, Sebastian Sylvester, 26-2, 13 KO’s, will face Simone Rotolo, 27-2, 13 KO’s, and Mads Larsen, 48-2, 37 KO’s, will face Emiliano Cayetano, 16-0, 10 KO’s.

heavyweights Alexander Povetkin and Chris Byrd weighed in for their IBF heavyweight eliminator of Saturday in Erfurt, Germany. Povetkin, the 2004 Olympic super heavyweight gold medalist scaled in at 226.6, while the two-time former world champion Byrd weighed 211.8.
    Fightnews.com

Other weights:
    Sebastian Sylvester 159.3 vs Simone Rotolo 158.5
    (European middleweight title)
    Mads Larsen 167.3 vs Emiliano Cayetano 166.8
    Oleg Platov 218.4 vs Miyan Solomons 236.9
    Ismail Abdoul 199.9 vs Yoan Pablo Hernandez 198.8
    Lukasz Janik 194.4 vs Sinisa Puljak 201
    Thomas Troelenberg 162 vs Olegs Fedotovs 158.9
    Jimmy Kapanov 198.4 vs Laszlo Czene 202.8
    Tomasz Hutkowski 197.7 vs Blanchard Kalambay 187.6
    Friday, October 26 2007

vCash

Re: Anyone know if Byrd/Povetkin will be televised?

Povetkin doesn't seem to have many flaws so far. Not a huge puncher but has good pop/ fairly heavy hands, good handspeed, has shown so far a good workrate/stamina, and maybe most importantly is a guy who fires back right after he receives incoming fire, which HWs nowadays are not used to.

Povetkin will have his time to shine, but I can't help but pull for Byrd for the upset. Yes he was in some stinkers but he also gave us some really fun scraps (Golota, McCline, Ibeabuchi, Tua) and was always willing to fight anyone anywhere. Got some undeserved flack I feel for just not being a big puncher/offense orientated banger. Now he's facing a 13 fight prospect and he probably feels very disrespected for being slotted as a set-up opponent. I don't see the Byrd of 2007 coping with Povetkin's work-rate and pressure but he has nothing to lose and I'd love for him to prove me wrong, and in his own way give everyone the finger by defeating the widely pegged "next big thing".

vCash

Byrd seems to have lost most of the attributes that made him successful at heavyweight. If Povetkin does not win convincingly, I would not be very enthusiastic about his future prospects in this division.

Administrator
    vCash

That says it all. Its still a bit of a gamble for Povetkin but if he uses the style that got him this far he will pressure Byrd in a way he has not seen since Ike & Byrd does not have the movement or reflexes anymore do deal with it as well. Povetkin will need to show a lot of poise to stay with the gameplan & remain focused.

Banned
    vCash

SPOILER!

Povetkin TKO 11 Byrd. Byrd's corner threw in the towel with Chris taking heavy stick. PeteLeo.

Administrator
    vCash

Color me impressed.

vCash

Stick a fork in Byrd. I'd like to see him retire rather than become a stepping stone for guys like Chazz Witherspoon or Chris Arreola.

vCash

Wow! Maybe Povetkin vs Klitchko in the first Eastern European heavy superbout. Russian v Ukrainian. Its changing fellas like I said a few years ago.

Registered User of Colorful Quips
    vCash

Hey guys,

Wow. Byrd was my favorite heavy in the age of the invisible heavyweights. The first live fight I saw was him against my former fave, Evander Holyfield.
    He's such a good guy, to go with his boxing ability. I hadn't seen much of Povetkin, but this a huge win. Sure, Byrd isn't what he was a few years back, but he's competitive and talented.
    I'll be looking out for more from Povetkin. And I second the sentiment that Byrd should move on to a non-combative role. Maybe teach some youngers guy how to box?
    Shawn

vCash
    The Long Road Comes to an End For Chris Byrd and Begins for Alexander Povetkin
    By Geno McGahee-October 28, 2007
    Ringside Report.com

Chris Byrd, the 2-Time Heavyweight Champion, couldn't fight off father time or the young and ambitious prospect, Alexander Povetkin. Byrd, 40-4-1, 21 KO's, doesn't have a style that would guarantee a long career considering that he was a boxer that relied heavily on reflexes and when they slowed down, he lost the edge that made him a champion at one time. Povetkin, 14-0, 11 KO's, pushed forward and picked up a win that really separates him from the pack of current prospects and pushes him to the top of the list of title challengers. His recent win over Larry Donald was a step in the right direction, but this TKO win over Byrd in the 11th round is a huge statement to the current champions, and once again is an example of the direction that the heavyweight division is going.

From the opening bell, Povetkin pressed forward with Byrd attempting some rope a dope impression that he has used before and usually gets him into trouble as it did in his bouts with Jameel McCline and Ike Ibeabuchi. The pressure more than anything else is what ended this bout for the former 2-Time Champion. It was obvious as the rounds went on that Chris Byrd's run as a top heavyweight were long over as has been obvious for some time. Povetkin proved a lot in his last few fights and did what an up and comer is supposed to do, but being the future of the division is yet to be determined.

IBF Heavyweight Champion, Wladimir Klitschko may be next to face Povetkin, although, there are the rumors that Sultan Ibragimov and Klitschko will do battle in a WBO/IBF Unification bout. Povetkin will surely get a shot down the line and is a man to watch in the division.

The European Middleweight Champion, Sebastian Sylvester, 27-2, 13 KO's, won a split decision over the game Simone Rotolo, 27-3, 13 KO's, by the scores of 116-112 for Rotolo, and 115-112, 115-114 for the current champion. It was a bout where a fourth round knockdown of Rotolo made all the difference in the outcome and kept the title home with Sylvester.

Also on the card, Oleg Platov, 26-1, 22 KO's, scored a second round TKO over Miyan Solomon, 9-4-1, 8 KO's. Platov is another man to watch in what is becoming the overcrowded heavyweight division.

Heavyweight Alexander Povetkin connects during his eleven round beatdown of former two-time champion Chris Byrd on Saturday in Erfurt, Germany. Povetkin now awaits the winner of the November 2 clash between Calvin Brock and Eddie Chambers, whom he'll meet in a final IBF eliminator.

vCash

Byrd wasn't really hurt, but he got seriously gassed and his family knew he was just going to lose the last two rounds big while taking shots against the ropes.

Povetkin is a very good fighter, but he lacks real Heavyweight power and his defense is very open.
    But, his style is fun to watch (non stop offense) and he'll be in some fights which, win or lose, should help revive the HW division in the near future.

Administrator
    vCash

I caught this fight the other night.
    Byrd in these past 2 years has completely stopped moving & to make matters worse he only throws one punch at a time now. For a true heavyweight that's fine but for Byrd this means time to hang it up. Byrd never had the punch to keep a heavyweight off but he was always able to navigate the ring very well. Now he doesn't bother to move & is not slipping punches as well as he once did. If it wasn't for the good chin he's always had, he may have been KOd last weekend.

Despite the reports on most sites, it was not a "completely" brutal, one-sided beatdown as Wladmir has done to Byrd twice. It was clearly a well earned Povetikin win with Byrd taking a round at best. Byrd likely did get hit with a higher volume of punches than he ever has but & luckily for him they were not home run shots. Byrd to his credit threw what he had but the incoming was way too much for him to operate.

Povetkin fought brilliantly. He threw short punches all night much how Peter took apart Toney in their second fight, never overshooting the mark. In fact in retrospect the 2 fights are very similar all around in style & situation. Byrd fought bravely but even his speed was no match for Povetkin's anymore. When Povetkin saw Byrd was slowing down & showing the accumulation of a solid 9 rounds of work, he stepped on the gas like any good boxer should have knowing Byrd had even less to throw back at that point. As far as the stoppage, Byrd was not out on his feet or anything & not necessarily in any danger he hasn't seen before but his father threw in the towel at a good time. It was clear Povetkin was intending to close the show & Byrd had nothing more to offer than a target.

Incredible performance for someone in his 14th or 15th fight. Although he looks about 19, he not a total spring chicken at 28. I like what I see so far. He fights a bit like Chagaev & I'd love to see the 2 of them matched up one day. I believe he has an earned shot at Klitschko coming which I believe they are intending to decline until they feel their guy is ready. If this guy can take a punch, he could be somebody in the future.

vCash

Diggity offers a far more comprehensive and expert analysis than I can at this point -- all I saw was Rounds 1, 2, 6, 7, and the finish in 11, thanks to some anonymous "Albanian" gent at youtube -- but despite my lack of insight I thought I'd offer my 20 yen (living and working in Japan) anyway.

If memory serves Byrd fought this contest like a slower and more ponderous version of the chap who flummoxed Tua back in 2001 (???). He did not run and peck, but mostly stayed in and engaged, though in an inferior manner befitting his 37 years and slowed reflexes. What Povetkin showed me was patience and discipline, effective if not killer bodyshots, continuous vigor and a definite willingness to fire back, and decent movement but not real elusiveness. Yes I know styles make fights, but presuming we can extrapolate while taking Byrd's decayed form into account, at present Povetkin looks slightly better than Golota 2004 but well beneath Ibeabuchi 1999. I'd rank near at the bottom of the Top 10 right now, with room to climb to be sure. He should handily dispose of the Brock/Chambers winner, to be sure.

It was also unusual and touching to see Byrd's barely adolescent son intervene and hug his pops with a supportive embrace when his corner sensed the futility of it all and threw in the towel. Byrd is not genuinely "washed up," but one wonders, if his finances are sound, why continue? Even a run at cruiserweight seems like an empty symbolic gesture at this point. It is too bad the Don got ahold of the near twilight of his career and kept him on the shelf, because in and around the Touch of Sleep stinker
    he could have had one or two more payday defenses.

Administrator
    vCash

It still find it hard to believe Byrd snuck up to 37 years old. When I heard that I was shocked. He was really shelved way too long under King. Not that there was much demand for him but it certainly didn't help keep his strengths fresh. In the end I hope he got the money he wanted by moving to heavyweight. He's certainly earned it win or lose in his brave fights with Tua, Ike, Golata, both Klitschkos, McCline & now Povetkin. It's too late go cruiser now. The upper end cruisers now would all bury a 37 year old Byrd.

vCash

Didn't he sue Don for him not getting his guaranteed mininum for his title defenses?? I assume King settled like he always does.

The Byrds are a really interesting family. I don't know how he could put up with his wife yelling at him throughout his fight in a really piercing tone (esp. when telling him things like "Chris, you have to work in there, move those hands! Stop sleeping!" and "stop fighting stupid! you're fighting stupid!!") and in turn, how she can remain so on top of him while much bigger 240 lb men are hitting her husband in the head. But hey, they seem to make it work so more power to them. I also thought it was touching to see his son embrace his father like that after a fight . . that's a tough thing for a son to go through, but he must swell with pride seeing his dad's courage and toughness.

Administrator
    vCash

I agree. His wife has no shame but I guess she is supporting him the only way she knows how & I can respect that. I don't know if I would quite go for that in his shoes but that's his problem. I always found it funny when he fought in Europe because you can hear her shreiking over the announcers since it is typically much more quiet during a fight. I also thought it was very touching & mature how his son gave him a tap like "its ok, you did the best you could." Some site wrote that at some point during the fight he yelled to his dad "stop laying on the ropes" where grandpa said "its easier said than done." He has nothing to be ashamed of whatsoever.

I do believe King settled with him at one point by giving Byrd his guaranteed minimum purse he originally signed for. He never got the "guaranteed" minimum purse until he threatened to sue. I believe the minimum was 1.1 mil which IMO King obviously knew he would never meet since Byrd could barely draw a fly even if he stunk to high heaven in the olfactory sense. King just wanted to tie up the belts & take things on a calculated course in which he did.

vCash

Chambers beat Brock one-sidely last night in the other half of the IBF tournament. I told some of you Brock was garbage. Another great Klitschko victory (Peter, now Brock) gets shown for what it was worth. Chambers was potshotting him all night, but seemed worried about gassing out his own tubby-self and thus didn't open up like he should have. But the scorecard for Brock was ridiculous. Brock was so slow, inaccurate and sloppy with his punches, it was just pathetic to watch. I gave him 3 rounds tops.

I see Povetkin being a fairly sure-bet vs Chambers. Eddie's one chance is to open up a bad cut as he can really tear an opponent up with his accuracy and sharpness, but Povetkin should overwhelm him with his punch-output and versatility, not to mention the big target that is Chamber's mid-section. It will be a very good fight while it lasts though. It will also be refreshing to see two smaller, young Heavyweights who don't like to clinch and hug and use their speed and technical skills to achieve victory.
    Last edited by hagler04; 11-03-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Administrator
    vCash

I was happy to see Brock lose as well. I never bought into the boxing banker. The only thing he appears to bank is twinkies. Good riddance but as his predecessor hype jobs before him that the networks refuse to let die (see Guinn) I'm sure he will get televised a few more times before we see the last of him.

I thought this quote was funny..

from thering.com...

By the way, if you’ve never seen Povetkin, picture mayonnaise in short pants and gloves. This guy is so white he makes Sultan Ibragimov look like Wesley Snipes

+ Reply to Thread