Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WBC will also implement half-point scoring

Administrator
    vCash

WBC will also implement half-point scoring

This just seems like a mess waiting to happen to me. Cards are still messed up now without worrying about half points. What the hell is does half point in a round represent anyway? I don't see how this helps.

From fightnews.com

WBA applauds WBC decision!
    WBC will also implement half-point scoring

The World Boxing Association (WBA) wants to express its happiness after learning that the World Boxing Council (WBC) will support WBAs initiative to implement the use of the half point system to score boxing fights. After several analysis and studies carried by its judges and supervisors during its annual convention, held October 7-12 in Chengdu, China, the WBA decided in favor of using the half point system in its regional title fights.

Therefore, the WBA became the first international boxing sanctioning body to use a new scoring system that may revolutionize boxing by giving judges an extra tool that will help avoiding draws and unfair results.

There are certain great benefits of this system if you compare it with others, as it is revealed from the analysis we have performed here at our workshops, President Gilberto Mendoza explained. The half point is an extra tool given to judges to have a better way to decide on close rounds and to differentiate a round won by a close margin from a round barely won. At the end of the day, the final score would reflex more accurately what had happened in the fight, WBA Executive Vice President Gilberto Jesus Mendoza said.

Almost two weeks after the WBAs convention in China, WBC President Jose Sulaiman announced yesterday that the WBC will follow WBAs steps and will support the use of the half point system as well. We were delighted to learn that the WBC will support WBAs decision to explore the use of this scoring system that gives judges more freedom and flexibility to score, as they have expressed, Mendoza Jr. added.

Its true, the WBA was the first to implement this new scoring system. But its not a matter of who invented something but how we all work together in favor of boxing. We welcome the support we are receiving from a sister body like the WBC, Mendoza concluded.

vCash

Re: WBC will also implement half-point scoring

It was used here in Calif. back in the 1950s, and didn't seem to work as it was junk after a few years.

vCash

If you have a scoring system that is working well, using half points would enable judges to refine their scores and create an even more accurate picture of events.

If your judges are formulating scores that are way off the mark today, how would using half-point scoring possibly help? You can slice the baby a little more finely, but you're still going to end up with a dead baby!

vCash

This is a major step backward for boxing, thanks to the clowns who run those two organizations. This will further enable inept and crooked judges to hide behind more numbers, arguing over the difference of half points, making things even more subjective than they are now. If the WBA or WBC had half a brain--which I guess is all they do have--they would use competent and honest officials, not the collection of stiffs they parade around today. That is the only solution!

vCash

I fully agree with wolgast. This "Enhancement" just allows more room for screw jobs that can be deemed "Close decisions"...

Banned
    vCash

I seem to recall

Half point scoring being used in England in the Mid 80's in non title fights.

I don't seem to recall it doing anything other than being confusing.

Then agian, converting over to the Metric system also scared me in the early to mid 80's as well.

Would it be 10 points to 9 1/2 or 10 to 9.5?

I just hope they don't use the Dewey Decimal system in any of this.

Childhood nightmares are coming back....

Hawk

vCash

why are there half-points needed when judges do not use 7 of the allotted numbers provided in a 10 point must?

Why would we need 10 points then?

couldn't we simply use 5 points, and use them all? I have written about this before and frankly I am exhausted from previous efforts to communicate a solution as I see it.

Viewing this half point thing as a boon for judges to solve scoring issues seems to me akin to providing government lobbyists with unlimited non-accounted expense accounts.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey
    why are there half-points needed when judges do not use 7 of the allotted numbers provided in a 10 point must?

Why would we need 10 points then?

couldn't we simply use 5 points, and use them all? I have written about this before and frankly I am exhausted from previous efforts to communicate a solution as I see it.

Viewing this half point thing as a boon for judges to solve scoring issues seems to me akin to providing government lobbyists with unlimited non-accounted expense accounts.
    Shark,

The 5 point scoring was also used here in Calif. at one time, c-early 1960s I think.

vCash

Frank,

It would be great if they used it like I think it ought to be used... (of course I think it's great, or I wouldn't advocate it so tak it with a grain of salt).

Without getting too into it:

5-4: someone won the round, but the round was very close, and it could be argued. Both fighters exert effort on offense, score and defend well. NOT MANY rounds are actually 10-9 rounds.... more of what I see as 10-9 rounds are the one below.

5-3: clear winner of the round either the loiser does not do (as) much or the winner clearly wins the round. Most 10-9 rounds are thus 5-3. A very close round or a round where the guy winning via the route one would win the round 5-2 or 5-1 and he gets knocked down would lose this round 5-3, IMO, or 5-4.

5-2: dominant, decisive round. The loser throws and lands hardly any pucnhes, or the winner not only wins clearly, but does damage. A clear winner beyond debate, where the loser by losing does very little of what scores one points in boxing.

This score also rewards a fighter for knocking someone down in a round otherwise very close. It should not be the case, IMO, where a knockdown is frozen in time and quickly made up for. This is a decisive round scored today 10-8. The difference is, this 5-2 score also reflects not only a dominant winner of the round, but the fact the loser is either doing no punching, no scoring and is being totally blunted. In fact, many 5-2 rounds would be scored when a fighter dominates, hurts and renders the other fighter totally defensive. Since these would not be rare, they reflect what actually happenbs in many rounds and can be made up by the losing fighter dominating a round down the road.

5-1: round in which the winner dominates and floors opponent, OR the losing fighter is knocked down and hurt terribly... or it can be scored this for multiple knockdowns. In rare cases, it also can reflect a round in which a fighter 'rides out the round' and is avoiding any contact not due to style but for survival.

5-0: yes, a 5-0 round. Multiple knockdowns and an utter lambasting.

vCash

The half-point scoring on the Art Aragon vs Chuck Davey

1954-02-18 146 Chuck Davey 146 39-3-2
    Olympic Auditorium, Los Angeles, California, United States W SD 10 10
    ~ referee: Mushy Callahan 56-54 | judge: Joe Stone 55-54 | judge: Charley Randolph 52-58 ~

vCash

Hey, here's an idea. Why not throw away the scorecards and let each judge decide WHO WON THE DAMN FIGHT! Let them judge the fight as a whole and pick A WINNER. How would we be worse off under this system? Just select better judges and train them better. This would do away with the guy who tap-tapped his way to wins in the early rounds but got destroyed late in the fight having his hand raised from a stretcher. Scorecards could be used by each judge as notes on the bout.

Administrator
    vCash

Haha I was just going to suggest the "show of hands approach"

vCash

Horrible choice in my humble opinion,

I always know who won a round in a fight, sometimes we all disagree for different reasons. One way or another it is 10-9, 10-8, or 10-7. Half points my ass.

It gives carte blanche to alphabet puppet judges to chicken shit us to death and turn pro boxing into an Olympic amateur nightmare.

+ Reply to Thread