Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lamon Brewster Vs Sam Peter and Wlad Klitschko

The Raging Bull

Lamon Brewster Vs Sam Peter and Wlad Klitschko

I was pondering these two fantasy matchups and was wondering what you guys would think about it,ill share my thoughts first so here goes...

I feel that if Brewster comes out swinging for the fences like he did versus Golota and Krasniqui each time out from now on i dont see anyone in the heavyweight division at the moment keeping him at bay for long with the exception of Samuel Peter and Wladimir Klitschko.For all his technical flaws Peter does possess genuine one-punch KO power and if you walk right into him looking for a shootout he can and most likely will knock you flat on your back for a ten count no matter how good a chin you own.Brewster has demonstrated an iron will of late and great chin throughout his career but even a granite chinned fighter like himself can be worn down and stopped thru accumulative punishment, especially from a heavy hitter in the mould of Peter...the human body can only take so much punishment after all.No to mention that Samuel has demonstrated an exceptional chin himself in his bout versus Wladimir, but like i just said a moment ago even he was wobbled in the end by a left hook due to fatigue and from having absorbed numerous flush power punches over the course of 12 rounds.

Wladimir has the height,reach,boxing ability and power to keep Brewster at bay if he employs a carefully planned out strategy and stuck to his gameplan for the whole duration of the fight.Stick and move, constantly pump out that piston jab and mix in some heavy leather in the form of right crosses from a distance and short, compact left hooks and some uppercuts when in close and this is a winnable fight for Wlad, maybe even by stoppage late in the fight.Brewster, should he come out looking to blitz Wlad from the get-go like he did versus Golota would face a rude awakening as Wlad is no Golota.He would be ready for that kind of fight and with the help of Steward would employ a sound strategy of keeping his distance early on to let Brewster expend some energy for awhile.Brewster would not be able to keep up such a pace for 12 rounds and would inevitably tire making him a more stationary target for Wlad to take advantage of by the midway point of the fight.

But one cannot ever count out Lamon as he demonstrated versus Wladimir the first time around and most recently in his bout versus Luan Krasniqui... even though he was clearly tired and behind on points he came roaring back to score a dramatic come from behind victory over a good opponent who had been winning the fight up to that point.Wlads chin can be reached at any point during the fight and this will never change, but to be fair Wladimirs chin is not so much the problem as his reaction when getting tagged by a solid blow is... that is really his biggest problem for he seems to panic and tense up which leaves him vulnerable.But with the help of Manny Steward who will calmly tell him to relax between rounds should he get dropped at some point and make it out of the round he can regroup and make some adjustments in the next round to avoid getting tagged again.

Either way, i feel Brewster would have a much more difficult time versus the powerful hitting and equally granite chinned Samuel Peter then he would versus Wlad even though the latter holds significant advantages over him in terms or height,reach,power and boxing ability.Wlads chin as shown in the past can always be reached and dented whereas Peters chin is as solid if not moreso then Brewsters and he is also a more powerful puncher then Lamon in terms of one shot KO power.Lamon knows only one way to fight and thats to come forward all night which would favour the flat-footed Peter since they would exchanging at close quarters to Lamons detriment.Wlad on the other hand has the movement and range to make things difficult for Brewster with the right gameplan but his chin can let him down at any point during the fight and thats all Lamon needs should he land a hail mary to turn the tide.

With all that said i think Lamon Brewster loses by KO to Samuel Peter inside of 5 rounds and probably gets outboxed by Wladimir if they fight a rematch and loses a SD.What do you fellas think??And before i forget i wish a Happy New Year to all of you.

Roberto Aqui

Lamon

Lamon is outpowered and outskilled in these matchups, but as we've seen with him, it's impossible to count out his heart. I hope and pray that he picks a good time to get out of boxing. I suspect his main mission and achievements will be after boxing if he can get out with his brains still intact.

greek1237

Re: Lamon

I like Brewster, I been rooting for him sense his win over Wald.

I DO belive he is the best heavyweight out there.
    I think he could beat Peter, and he already knockout Wald.

I expect a hugh shootout with Peter though, could be great. The guy has heart.

Juan C Ayllon

Extensive Lamon Brewster Interview Coming Up!

By the way, Roberto's comments reminded me that I had an extensive interview with Lamon Brewster just after Thanksgiving, which should be appearing sometime this week in the CBZ's "Wail!" Internet magazine.

In it, you get a better idea of his psyche, as well as his thoughts on various issues on boxing and life in general.

Cheers,

Juan C. Ayllon

Juan C Ayllon

Going into Training This Week

By the way, I spoke with Lamon's assitant, Dietre (Diedre?) today. She said that Lamon is going into six weeks of training this week, even though he doesn't have an opponent yet.

I talked briefly with Lamon yesterday on the phone regarding some other business, which is why I spoke with Dietre today. I look forward to see how things play out.

Cheers,

Juan C. Ayllon

The Raging Bull

Re: Brewster plans

Does anyone know who Brewster is planning to fight next?I havent heard anything from him yet about possible upcoming opponents, maybe you can help me out on that Juan by asking him next time you speak with him.And i recently read an interview were Lamon condemned animal cruelty and dogfighting,he is one of the few fighters ou there today that can be looked up to and considered a role model by all.He is definately one of my new favourite fighters after reading that interview,class act all the way and ill always root for him in his fights.And i still cant thank him enough for flattening Golota the way he did...i had five friends over that night who were all rooting for Golota and when he got dropped like a ton of bricks 13 seconds in and stopped soon afterwards the look on their faces was absolutely priceless!!I was laughing so hard i had tears in my eyes, not to mention that i won 100$ since i bet them 20$ each that Lamon would win by KO.

Juan C Ayllon

Hey Raging Bull

Hi Raging Bull,

When I talked with Lamon's assistant, Dietre (Diedre?) the other day, she said that he didn't have a scheduled opponent. So, as far as I know, it's up in the air.

What I do know is that he's gone into six weeks training without a scheduled opponent and he will be available for appearances March 6-10 and/or March 13-17.

If I find out anything more, I will let you know.

Cheers,

Juan

GorDoom

WHY???

Do you guys waste time & energy on three fighters that are complete crap? None of them can fight or have any particular skills. Wlad's got a heart the size of a raisin. Peter can punch but he's so amateurish it's not funny & Brewster is a mediocrity at best.

In fact ALL three of them are utter mediocrities.

I don't get why you even care about a mutt, a tomato can & a herring. These aren't heavyweight fighters. They're fucking jokes. I'm sorry if you think I'm overly negative but there isn't even ONE heavyweight today that's worth squa-doosh.

There are plenty of terrific fighters in the lower weights. I just don't get the facination with the detritus that is the heavyweight division today.

GorDoom

Juan C Ayllon

Why Not?

Hey Gordoom,

In all honesty, I spend more time focused on the lower weight class guys, especially out here in Chicago.

However, I happen to like Lamon Brewster. Say what you will, he's a gutsy, hard-hitting and determined guy and he's arguably the best in boxing's flagship division. He's the heavyweight champ. I think that still means something.

In addition, I think he's an integrous person well-suited to be a roll model for kids, especially in the urban environment. He's made something of himself from humble means. He's trying to do something positive and give something back.

As I work with kids in my day job, I am trying to arrange it so he can speak to my students. So far, I've got the interest and attention of one of our principals.

As you'll see in my interview in the upcoming issue of "Wail!", Lamon is very down to earth and has some relevant things to say to kids, as well as adults, boxers, and fans.

And by the way, I wrote an extensive interview of Joel Julio, an undefeated and exciting welterweight prospect with a record of 25-0 with 22 knockouts the other day. I posted a link to it here in the Modern section and--surprise of surprises--no one commented. That's not the first time something like that has happened 'round these parts. Coincidentally, Joel's bout versus Robert Kamya will be on Show-Time's "Sho-Box: The New Generation" tonight. I won't be at ringside, but in the bleachers (that's a long story).

So, anyways, for what it's worth, I think Lamon is an exciting and determined fighter, as well as a quality individual worth paying attention to and writing about. If we differ on this opinion, so be it.

Either way, have a terrific weekend,

Juan

GorDoom

Re: Why Not?

My complaint has nothing to do with their personalities. From all appearances they seem to be solid citizens.

My complaint with them is as fighters ...

& Juan I read your article & it was excellent as always. I was hurried so I didn't comment. But your right, post something about a heavy & there is a lot of response. Lighter fighters? For some reason people tend to skew toward that wasteland that is the heavyweight division.

I could understand it if there were actually some good - not even great fighters - in the division but the plain fact is there isn't even one. There's not even ONE prospect to get excited about ...

GorDoom

The Raging Bull

Re: I was just interested in hearing other opinions

Whoa!! I didnt expect to get such a negative response from you GorDoom,i was just interested to hear what you and other fellas here at the CBZ thought about Lamons chances in these matchups.I consider you guys here at the CBZ to be the most well informed and intelligent bunch when it comes to disscussing boxing and its history on the whole web,so i thought to myself who better to ask for an opinion than you guys.I know the heavyweights are not nearly as talented as they used to be, but there are still some potentially good fights to be made in the division even if there is a lack of real talent around,dont you agree?I guess i will just refrain from bringing up another thread disscussing modern heavys and potential future fights in the division from now,this thread didnt get many responses anyway.

Im only 23 man and most of what i know about past fighters are from what ive seen of them on tape when i order (have amassed quite a collection over the years) and from what ive heard from older members of my family who have had the opportunity to watch many greats in action,some even from ringside.The only thing i love more than boxing are my immediate family and close friends,and i wanted to ask people who know more then me for their opinions about Lamons (who i greatly admire as a person and fighter) chances versus Wlad and Peter.Say what you will about Wlad but the man has talent, much more then Lamon and Peter,although i agree with you that he doesnt have that warrior spirit.And FYO, i also much prefer to watch the lower weight division fighters were these is plenty of talent to go around,but that doesnt mean i dont ever wanna talk about the heavyweights.

GorDoom

Re: I was just interested in hearing other opinions

Hey Raging Bull if you want to talk about heavies, have at it. No problem. This is a boxing board & they are a big (no pun intended) part of the sport. I guess I just woke up on the wrong side of the tutami mat this morning & I was a little cranky.

No offense meant toward anybody but I still think all the heavies suck. (g)

GorDoom

Juan C Ayllon

Thanks, Bucket!

Hi Bucket,

I hear you.

By the way, the Chicago Sun Times used a quote from my interview with Joel Julio in a prefight piece. I will have to post it later.

Cheers,

Juan

GorDoom

Re: Thanks, Bucket!

Congrats, Juan! First Ring Magazine & now the Sun Times, pretty impressive! So how much longer can we expect you to hang out with us peons on the CBZ?

Good stuff, Juan. I'm proud of what you've done.

GorDoom

Juan C Ayllon

Thanks, Gordoom!

Hi Gordoom,

Thanks! Oh, I'll be around for quite a while. The Sun Times piece can be seen below:

Quote:

Julio bringing potential - and McGirt - to Cicero

It speaks to the potential of welterweight slugger Joel Julio that Buddy McGirt will be working in his corner tonight at Cicero Stadium in the main event of a Shobox card.

McGirt is considered one of the top trainers in the world, and his presence becomes more significant considering he is training Arturo Gatti for his Jan. 28 bout against Thomas Damgaard.

"[Julio] is definitely the future of the welterweight division," McGirt said Thursday. "He's a young boxer/puncher. He does it all. He dominates."

Julio, who turned 20 on Thursday, is 25-0 with 22 knockouts. He scored a fourth-round technical knockout of Christopher Henry on Aug. 20 at Allstate Arena on the undercard of the Fernando Vargas-Javier Castillejo bout. Julio faces Robert Kamya (15-5, 4 KO's) tonight in a scheduled 10-rounder.

"I would say in another five or six months, this kid will be ready to start fighting championship-caliber opponents," McGirt said. "He definitely has world-championship potential."

Julio is from Columbia, where he fought his first 19 bouts, and he was training at high altitude in Bogota before moving his camp to Miami in December.

"I think you're born with [knockout power], and God gave me the talent,' Julio said via an interpreter to cyberboxingzone.com "There is nothing you can do to help you punch better or harder."

Raul Marquez, a two-time amateur national champ, highlights the undercard. The first bout is scheduled ofr 7 p.m.

Roman Modrowski

GorDoom

Re: Thanks, Gordoom!

That's very cool, Juan! Not only did you get quoted you got a plug in for the CBZ.

Very nice.

GorDoom

The Raging Bull
    GorDoom,no problem man and i see were you are coming from about todays heavyweight scene.We all get up on the wrong side of the bed at times,happens to everyone.And i do agree with you that compared to the "good ol days of boxing" as my grandpa used to say (he followed boxing for over 80 years and saw many great fights live from ringside before passing away a couple of months ago at age 93) the heavyweights around nowadays are not nearly as good as they used to be.Anyhow ill leave it at that and Juan,if you have any updates about Brewster and possible upcoming opponents please let me know,thanks.

Juan C Ayllon

Thanks, Gordoom!

Yeah, that's cool that the CBZ got another plug. Good stuff!

By the way, I saw that O'Neil Bell won by KO tonight. His bout versus Derrick Harmon was the second show I covered for the CBZ.

Have a great Sunday,

Juan

+ Reply to Thread