Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Tex" Cobb vs. Oscar Bonavena

vCash

"Tex" Cobb vs. Oscar Bonavena

I see Bonavena winning a war of attrition. What say you?

vCash

Re: "Tex" Cobb vs. Oscar Bonavena

I see it the same way.Bonavena has a little more to offer than Cobb.

vCash

Oscar seems, in some quarters, to have this reputation as a fierce "3 minutes a round" slugger, this primarily is bourne of his two toe to toe fights with Frazier, however it was Frazier who actually forced this 3 minutes a round commitment onto Oscar, if left to his own devices, Oscar would stand off, prod out a few Jab's, sometime's even back off and walk off to the Sides, all as a prelude to a BullRush, it is during these intermittent and sporadic Bullrushes that Oscar was very dangerous, but in between, you did have some breathing space in which to regroup, compose and execute, both Folly and Ellis were able to outmanoeuvre Oscar and drop him on the way to points victories, Patterson (disputed) and Lyle also were about to successfully Hang with Oscar, of course Randy is no cute craftsman..

Randy with his toughness, and rudimentary Jab and cross from range, as he showed against Norton, could accrue some early points advantage over Oscar, Particularly if when Oscar BullRushes in, and they repeatedly end up in something of an untidy Maul with no descernable advantage either way, but where Folly, Ellis and Co, (a very small Co) were able to give Oscar movement and angles, I doubt very much if Randy will bring a touch of Fred Astaire to the proceedings, probably more like Fred Qwynne (during working hours - minus the Bolts !)

Randy's Pressure will be nowhere near as suffocating as was Fraziers, so Oscar should be able to pick his moments to Launch his charges, and land a percentage of shots quite successfully, Whilst never mentioned with Shavers for One-Shot Power, Oscar could achieve quite a lot with Two Shots, Three Shots, and because he can usually find Randy, will be encouraged to Let Fly with ever increasing regularity, safe in the knowledge that he is not going to be countered with any instantly damaging thunderbolts from Cobb, I tend to feel that Oscar can emerge from the early scufflings, to Catch Randy, Hurt Randy, and Hurt him Again, it may depend on whether Oscar wants to pursue a stoppage with Vigor, or whether he is content to "Bat Randy Back" and simply keep the upper hand for Points, two tough guys, but I think Oscar has the Cleaner Power, and is always likely to achieve something with a Wildly throw shot out of the Blue. Particularly on somebody he might actually find hard to miss.

vCash

Although I try to stay away from hypothetical match-ups of fighters from different periods, I'll break my rule and say watch Bonavena-Chuvalo. If you do, I think you have a good idea of how Bonevena-Cobb would go, except Chuvalo had more skills than Tex and Bonavena would win by a wider margin.

mike

above-- yep.

vCash

Bonavena

+ Reply to Thread