Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mormeck/Haye

Administrator
    vCash

Mormeck/Haye

It a total shame that this fight will more than likely not be televised in the US unless King pulls something out of his hat to get it on MSG live but I doubt it. This has potential barn burner written all over it provided Mormeck doesn't decide to back up all night & box. Although no easy task, I think Haye has a great shot to take this fight since he is the younger, bigger & fresher of the 2.

This is Haye's last fight at cruiser since he can no longer make the weight. He is a young, big guy at 6'3" with time to fill out so he should do ok at heavy. He has a big punch but he is not quite defensive wizard. I 'm not really sure of his ability to take a big shot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/7086568.stm

vCash

Re: Mormeck/Haye

So did Mormeck ever find a nickname?

Administrator
    vCash

vCash

Dude, you have got to be kidding. We had, like, two dozen that were better than that.

vCash

Spolier

The result:

Haye koed Mormeck in the 7th after going down heavy himself in the 4th,

vCash

Time for Carl Thompson to make a comeback.

vCash

David Haye Destroys Jean Marc Mormeck to Claim Cruiserweight Title
    By Geno McGahee
    Ringside Report.com

Jean Marc Mormeck, 33-4, 22 KO's, at the age of 35 has apparently reached the end of the championship road, which was anticipated by many as he faced the young and powerful, David Haye, 20-1, 19 KO's. Mormeck was dangerous from go and controlled the action, actually putting the challenger down in the fourth round and had him nearly out of the fight, but Haye showed the heart of a champion and regrouped to come back and unload to stop the champion in the seventh round from a right uppercut-left hook combo. With this victory, Haye has captured the WBA and WBC Cruiserweight Titles, but don't expect any defense of these titles any time soon. Haye has made it clear that he is gearing toward the heavyweight division. With the land of giants seeming to strengthen up, this might be the wrong time for Haye to make the move, but he is chasing the money.

I expect Mormeck to hang up the gloves at this point, or perhaps have one final bout with O'Neil Bell, a man that he has split two fights with. There is still interest in that bout and there is still some bad blood between the two.

Also on the card, a WBC Light Welterweight Eliminator was decided as Souleymane M'baye, 36-2-1, 21 KO's, stopped Ameth Diaz, 23-7, 17 KO's, in the fourth round. Considering that Diaz had been stopped in five of his seven losses and has never beaten anyone of note, while M'baye has been tested.

Ali Chebah, 23-0, 17 KO's, kept his dreams of stardom alive at 22 with a third round TKO over Wellington De Jesus, 11-1, 7 KO's, to capture the WBC Youth Light Welterweight Title.

vCash

Haye has no real shot at heavy. Quite a few Brits are seriously over estimating his blowout of the ridiculously high ranked and inept Tomas Bonin who had beaten 30 nobodys and lost in 9 to Audley Harrison. All that win proved was that Haye is far more efficient at blowing aside bums than Harrison ever was.

A great and not really anticipated win for Haye in France, but even bulked up he'll probably not be able to make it by Danny Williams, Michael Sprott or Matt Skelton.

Haye v Audley Harrison in 2008? A very likely match up...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Overhand_Right
    Haye v Audley Harrison in 2008? A very likely match up...
    I doubt this fight will happen to be honest Overhand, do you really see Audley Harrison wanting to take on a fast, ambitious, puncher like Haye? Sure Harrison will have a size advantage but little else.

This is a big domestic match-up (UK) that I would love to see but I think it will take a lot of money and a rare lack of injuries to get Harrison in the ring with Haye.

As for Haye's potential at Heavyweight? it's too early to say, but at least he may inject a bit of excitment into the endless Harrison/Wiiliams/Skelton/Sprott pension padding merry-go-rounds that has at times been a serious snooze-a-thon.

vCash

I know what you mean- but Audley has no options. Nobody wants to see WIlliams, Sprott or Skelton and none of them are hot fighters. At 36, knocking out Haye would be his only shot of injecting some life into his career & leap frogging a lot of contenders.

Honestly, i can see Haye team wanting Audley and his name. To me its a fascinating 50/50 fight.

vCash

Overhand.

I agree it's an interesting fight and one I to would like to happen I just think Team Haye will want the fight more than A Force. It is a fight that makes sence as in it would be a good test for Haye to see how he would cope with a big Heavyweight with ability and as you say beating Haye in a convincing manner would help relaunch (to some extent) Harrisons flagging career.

Also, at least here in the UK it would inject some much needed excitment into the UK Heavyweight scene and do we need some of that!!!!

As for the fight itself it does pose some interesting questions. Do you think Haye has the power to KO or at least trouble Big Audley? Well, I would imagine Hayes power is at least as formidable as Sprotts. Haye appears to me that he is one of lifes 'natural' punches and his power may well increase at Heavyweight.

How will Haye cope with the physical size of Harrison? For all his faults Harrison is a BIG Heavyweight southpaw, if Haye doesn't get him out early will the size difference drain the strength out of Haye in the second half of a 12/10 round fight? It just may.

There are still question marks over the punch resistance od David Haye, is he drained at Cruiserweight? Will the move up strengthen his ability to take a shot? Even in todays era of Heavyweights a good wack on the chin from a 240lbs fighter may well mean goodnight Mr Haye.

Administrator
    vCash

Not quite the barnburner I was hoping for but any fight when you trade KDs can't be too bad. I give credit to Haye's performance but unless he puts some serious efforts into holding his hands higher, I don't see a long run at heavy. To his defense, I heard he dropped close to 30lbs for this last run at cruiser. If Haye is in fact that depleted, I'd like to see how a heavier & healthier version of himself handles a true heavy's shot. Anyone who gets in shape, shows some heart, has a good shot & is willing to use it has my attention for as long as it lasts.

Mormeck may as well continue at cruiser IMO. I thought he was a bit more durable than what he showed versus Haye but Haye's punch may have that good. Mormeck's been KOd in 2 of his last 4 fights & hit the age of 35 so it wouldnt be a completely unreasonable time to go but it would be a shame. There are still good fights out there with Enzo & Cunningham or a rubber match with Bell. Unfortunately Guillermo Jones went the James Toney route, I would have liked to see him stick around but it appears he's busy with ham & eggers at heavy.

I think Harrison is a dumb pick for Haye right now. Although winnable, Harrison is a big, big heavy with nothing to lose & everything to gain. If I were him I'd say no thanks. It makes more sense later when Haye gets a few more legit heavy wins under his belt.

+ Reply to Thread