Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mancini-Kim: Beyond the brink

tedsares

Mancini-Kim: Beyond the brink

I
    Last edited by tedsares; 07-29-2008 at 12:00 PM.

vCash

Re: Mancini-Kim: Beyond the brink

I remember this fight like it was yesterday (even though I was only 13). I was one of the biggest Mancini fans going, and had been since his fight with Arguello a couple of years before. The fight was on a Saturday afternoon and I was over at one of my closest friends houses to watch it with him. When Mancini knocked him out, his parents booted me so they could go to his grandparent house, and I went home. When I got home the coverage was still on and the studio announcers were talking about how Kim had been rushed to the hospital.

The studio guys were just doing their job, but they made it sound like it was no big deal, really. So I went about my usual kid weekend stuff. I can't remember if it was the next day or the day after that when I found out Kim was hooked up to life support and it looked like he had no chance - he was brain dead.

I think it took a week or so before his family had the plug pulled, and the next week SI had a big story on it with the KO punch landing as the cover shot. They made a big point of saying Kim's head had gone under the bottom rope and he had really clanged the back of his head on the edge of the apron, where there was no padding, and that was probably the biggest factor in his death.

A terrible ending, but Ted is right - it was a terrific fight. Kim was a brave fighter and he suffered an end that all fighters risk but few actually have to pay for.

vCash

Re: Mancini-Kim: Beyond the brink

one of the most exciting and action packed fights I have ever seen and because of it's tragic ending, more dramatic than Benn - McClellan or Watson - Eubank by comparison... and if I have to be honest it made me question 'our' (sports fans) love of the sport.

are we that barbaric, is Boxing an unhealthy indulgence for our darker desires and are we 'unwittingly approving' of Social violent attitudes and practices?

I don't mean to get political & heavy re: the subject, but that fight honestly made me feel 'morally' accountable about a sport I love.

Great fight may God Bless his soul... R.I.P Deuk Koo Kim!

Jim.

+ Reply to Thread