Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Close Up and Personal: Faces in the Crowd, Pt. 2

vCash

Re: Close Up and Personal: Faces in the Crowd

By the way, I'll be at Cabs this Saturday night to listen in to a band called "Majors Junction." I've featured numerous photos of that band here before. They're very solid entertainment, with the lead vocalist's voice sometimes resembling Johnny Cash's. His wife can really belt out a tune, too!

The place should be packed. Perhaps I'll see you there?

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

Cool Pics of Roy Jones, Jr.

I received these cool pics in a press release for the upcoming Roy Jones, Jr.-Tito Trinidad match. Check out the rest at the posted release:

Roy Jones, Jr. Press Release Link

I don't know about you, but one of the things I like about being able to post up pics at the CBZ Newswire page--as well as on the message board--is being able to post them up nice and large, versus some of the other sites, that post them up rather small.

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

Re: Close Up and Personal: Faces in the Crowd

Juan,

My 10 year old granddaughter, Keana, who is a big fan of Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana named our dog.

vCash

Miley Cyrus

That's so funny! One of my good friends sang the praises of Hannah Montana several months ago when we were scanning channels on his TV. I suppose, as a father and stepfather, he's especially appreciative of her apparently good image.

I just had to laugh, though, about some father who won free tickets from a radio station by keeping his hand on a giant (furry?) boot for several days straight. Whatever!

vCash

What?

Hey Frank,

What's with Miley Ray's funky wrist action?

Oh, that's right, it's a gal.

Never mind!

vCash

Major's Junction at Cabs!

I had a great time at Cabs last night! Dinner was awesome as usual, and the entertainment a great deal of fun.

Here are some photos:

This guitarist was amazing!

The lead vocalist (left) and his wife (right) had a kid about three months ago, who joined their party for dinner this evening

A couple who are friends of Luis and Lisa dance closely together

Luis and Lisa enjoy a dance together
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 12-30-2007 at 06:33 AM.

vCash

More Pics from Cabs...

I pose with one of the wait staff at Cabs who's a real sweetheart

Patsy (on right) talks with her along the bar

I think the gal on the right has had too much to drink!

The girls do a little bonding on the dance floor

My friend, Wendy, visits with me later on in the evening

Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 12-30-2007 at 07:02 AM.

vCash

Fres Oquendo Suing Daughter's School!

I talked with heavyweight contender Fres Oquendo today about a story that was covered on Chicago's CBS News regarding his daughter. She had been in a fight at school which resulted in her opponent's suspension for five days and her expulsion.

Here's what I posted on the CBZ Newswire, along with a link to the CBS news link to their video and writeup:

Oquendo Sues Daughter's School Link

vCash

Losing Weight Tips

I just read this piece on losing weight at Yahoo, which you might find interesting and helpful:

New Year's Weight Loss: 6 Tips
    Posted Tue, Dec 18, 2007, 12:16 pm PST

It is a time-honored tradition to make resolutions at this time of year. If your resolution is to lose weight - and keep it off, then keep reading! Here are six simple tips that will have you losing weight in a balanced and healthy way.

1. Lose weight with water.

Water is essential for everybody - it is also the key to losing weight. If you haven't been drinking enough water, your body has developed a pattern of storing water. This water retention equals extra unwanted weight.

By drinking more water, you are not only flushing out toxins, you are also teaching your body that it no longer needs to store water. Drink at least 60 ounces of water (about 8 glasses) a day. Boil water and sliced lemons, and drink this throughout the day to help with fluid retention. If you are still not sold on the merits of water, try this on for size: water is a natural appetite suppressant.

2. Soup up your weight loss program.

A simple dietary change will have you shedding pounds: eat a bowl of soup at least once a day. Nutritious, low-salt soups will nourish you as they flush waste from your body. People who eat a serving of soup daily lose more weight than those who eat the same amount of calories but don't eat soup. Go for homemade soup whenever possible, as canned soups are loaded with salt and chemicals.

3. Eat early to keep weight off.

The human body follows a circadian rhythm, which means that the same foods eaten at breakfast and lunch are processed differently than when eaten at dinner. Studies show that when you eat your daily protein and fat at breakfast you tend to lose weight and have more energy; however, eating the same things at dinner tend to increase tendencies toward weight gain. I suggest that you eat your last meal of the day by 7 p.m.

4. Eat smaller meals, more frequently.

Follow an eating schedule with five little meals every day. Eating steadily through the day keeps you from becoming famished and overeating at your next meal. Make a low-fat trail mix from raw almonds, pumpkin seeds, dried plum, and apples and have it available at all times to avoid the tempting lure of high-calorie snacks.

5. Adopt a balanced approach to your diet.

Most of the fad diet programs out there nowadays are extreme in a few recommended foods, or else deprive the body of food altogether. This works in opposition to our metabolism and the results usually don't last, producing a yoyo effect that depresses your metabolic function - not to mention your self-esteem. We are natural beings that need a balance of nutrition from all sources.

Your diet should consist of a balance of organic sources of lean protein, complex carbohydrates, whole grains, legumes, nuts, fruits, and vegetables. Instead of white rice and pasta, opt for brown rice, bulgur, millet, or buckwheat.

Eat more green, chlorophyll-rich foods such as broccoli, kale, spinach, and asparagus. Eliminate candy, sugar, soda, and all simple sugars from your diet. Excess sugar ends up being stored as fat in your body, which results in weight gain. Also, keep dairy to a minimum because most dairy products are high in saturated fat. Avoid fatty foods, processed or fried foods.

6. Walk off the weight.

The No. 1 cause of weight gain is inactivity. Physical activity is the key to speeding up your metabolism and burning excess calories. The best way to be physically active is to use your legs! Walk as often and as long as you can. Always take the stairs instead of the elevator.

Step outside during your break at work and take a walk around your building. Consider joining a local hiking club. Try taking a walk 30 minutes in the morning or 30 minutes in the early evening.

I hope this article helps you shed some pounds and add on the years! I invite you to visit often and share your own personal health and longevity tips with me.

May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

-Dr. Mao
    Any thoughts or tips on the subject?

Have a super day,

Juan

vCash

Lifestyle Changes to Add Life

I found this interesting article on MSN:

Small Lifestyle Changes Can Boost Longevity
    Not smoking, exercising, moderate drinking, eating veggies could add 14 years, study says
    -- Robert Preidt

TUESDAY, Jan. 8 (HealthDay News) -- People with four healthy lifestyle behaviors -- not smoking, physical activity, moderate alcohol consumption, and eating five servings of fruit or vegetables a day -- live an average of 14 years longer than people with none of those behaviors, a new British study contends.

Researchers at the University of Cambridge and the Medical Research Council looked at 20,000 men and women, aged 45-79, who filled out a questionnaire about the four health behaviors. The participants, none of whom had known cancer or heart or circulatory disease, filled out the questionnaire between 1993 and 1997 and were followed until 2006.

For each of the four healthy lifestyle behaviors, a participant received one point.

After they factored in age, the researchers found that participants with zero points were four times more likely to have died over an average period of 11 years than those with four points.

In addition, the study authors concluded that participants with a score of zero had the same risk of dying as someone 14 years older with a score of four. This was independent of body-mass index (BMI) and social class.

While the findings need to be confirmed in other populations and an analysis of how these combined health behaviors affect quality of life is needed, the researchers said the results suggest that these four healthy lifestyle behaviors could markedly improve the health of middle-aged and older people.

The study is part of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC), conducted in 10 European countries. EPIC is the largest-ever study of diet and health.

There is strong evidence that individual lifestyle factors such as smoking, diet and physical activity influence health and longevity, but there has been little research into their combined impact, according to background information in a news release about the study.

The study was published in the journal PLoS Medicine.

More information

The American Academy of Family Physicians has more about healthy living.

content by:

SOURCE: PLoS Medicine, news release, Jan. 7, 2008

vCash

Re: Fres Oquendo Suing Daughter's School!

Quote Originally Posted by Juan C Ayllon

I talked with heavyweight contender Fres Oquendo today about a story that was covered on Chicago's CBS News regarding his daughter. She had been in a fight at school which resulted in her opponent's suspension for five days and her expulsion.

Here's what I posted on the CBZ Newswire, along with a link to the CBS news link to their video and writeup:

Oquendo Sues Daughter's School Link

Juan,

Here is a nice pic. of Fres Oquendo.

vCash

Thanks, Frank!

Thanks, Frank!

By the way, here are some photos from my first CBZ report:

The first two are current WBC Lightweight champion David Diaz fighting Frankie Sanchez and the last one is Al "Speedy" Gonzalez fighting Carlos Nevarez. Both Diaz and Gonzalez won by decision.

You'll have to forgive the large size of the pictures, but that's what I sent in to the CBZ at the time, not knowing about resizing photos. JD Vena simply resized their presentation in the posting software without resizing the actual picture file.

I simply linked the uploaded photos to this page.

You can view the photos in the context of the original report by clicking on the link below:

Fight Report Link

Both shots were shot by my friend, Edward Zajac, at DePaul Athletic Center in Chicago, Illinois in December 2003!

Cheers,

Juan
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 01-08-2008 at 05:24 PM.

vCash

'Local Favorites' Band playing at Cabs Tonight!

I'll be at Cabs Wine Bar Bistro tonight to see the popular local band, "Local Favorites" play. From what I've heard, they've already got a number of reservations booked that intend on staying through the show.

Their show should begin around 10 PM. Check it out if you get the chance!

Cabs Wine Bar Bistro
    430 North Main Street
    Glen Ellyn, IL 60137

Phone 630.942.9463

Cheers,

Juan
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 01-11-2008 at 01:48 PM.

vCash

Photos from Jill Diamond

I have to hand it to her: the World Boxing Council's Jill Diamond has been sending me some cool photos lately.

Here are some samples:

I believe I met Jill online a while back through her work with female boxing. She's been very helpful and friendly.

What's cool is she'll be covering the Jones-Trinidad bout for us here at the CBZ this Saturday.

Cheers,

Juan
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 01-17-2008 at 01:43 PM.

vCash

A Couple of Photos from Dan Hanley at the WBHOF

Dan Hanley with Israel Vazquez (left)

The CBZ's Dan Hanley sent me a couple photos to post at the Newswire from the last World Boxing Hall of Fame gathering in October. There's another one posted at this link:

Dan Hanley Pics Link

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

A Little Fun with a Press Release

I received a press release in my email inbox and the graphics looked a bit awkward.

So, to balance things out, I copied elements from their piece and pasted them to add a little more something.

Okay, so I'm creatively bored! That, and I've got a head cold I've been fighting all week. So, forgive me if I'm a little punchy!

In a few minutes, I'll be heading down to Cicero to catch the Solo Boxeo event being held there. It's co-promoted by 8 Count and Golden Boy and should be a good time.

Anyways, gotta run.

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

Yours Truly at Ringside

I was viewing Fightnews.com's report and guess who I saw in some of the photos? Moi! That's me in the red circle in the lower left hand area of these photos.

Fightnews.com Report Link

Cheers,

Juan
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 01-28-2008 at 04:26 PM.

vCash

Alleged Payroll Scam at Work

Link to Story on Alleged Payroll Scam at WHS

Last week, our safetry department was closed pretty much for the the entire week at the high school I teach at. Seeing this, it's no wonder why!

Investigation continues in alleged payroll scam

January 27, 2008
    BY NICHOLAS ALAJAKIS nalajakis@scn1.com

WAUKEGAN--An investigation into an alleged payroll scam at Waukegan High School is centering exclusively on the school's security office, police said Saturday.

A day after it was announced that two security guards at the school were arrested for payroll irregularities, Waukegan Police Chief Bill Biang said his department is working with the Lake County State's Attorney's Office to investigate any additional fraud.

"We're in the process of going though the records. It's too early to tell if there are other (arrests)," Biang said.

Last week police arrested Anthony Artley, 41, of the 500 block of Lakehurst Road in Waukegan, and DeWayne Williams, 47 of the 39000 block of Ackworth Lane, in Beach Park. Both men, who worked as security guards at the Waukegan Ninth Grade Center, were charged with felony theft, following a six month investigation into a payroll scheme. The two men arranged to be paid for time they did not work, said Biang, who would not give specific details on the scam or how much money was taken.

According to district financial records for 2006, Artley and Williams were listed as making between $40,000 and 59,000 a year in their work as security guards.

It is not yet known how far the scam extended. As of now, it is not believed that the employees' supervisor, long time District 60 director of safety, Al Rogers was involved, Biang added.

Williams and Artley worked together outside of school as well. In 2006 the two opened A&W Youth Center on Martin Luther King Drive in North Chicago. The after school center featured state of the art video games and was supposed to help keep kids off the streets, Williams said at the time. The listed phone number for the center had been disconnected Saturday afternoon.

In the upcoming months Biang said police will continue to review records at the school, but like the initial investigation, results may not be immediate.

"It's not something that will turn fast," Biang said.

vCash

Outdated Entry in Staff Bio

Wow! My bio information under "Staff Bio" at the Waukegan High School web site is a bit outdated! How funny.

Staff Bio Link

I still get a kick out of that photo. It was taken at ringside at an 8 Count event held at the DePaul Athletic Center in December 2003, if I'm not mistaken!

My, how the years march on, eh?

vCash

Cute Picture of the Day!

My roommate's cats, Miles (left) and Hannah, chilling out in the living room

I happened to spot the cats sitting together in my living room and hat to shoot this photo!

vCash

Fight Pics & Report from Cicero

Here's a link to my posted photos and report from last Friday's fights in Cicero, Illinois:

Fight Report Link

I had brought my laptop and a 50 foot extension cord to hook in for power and was told by the electic guy to hook up to the TV surge protector.

So, in between rounds of the first fight, I crawled under the ring and went to hook up. Then a lady with production said, "What are you doing?" I told her, but she said, "No, you can't. You'll have to find another hookup."

So, I crawled back under the ring and emerged from under my ringside table.

WBC Lightweight Champ David Diaz saw me and said, "So, that's how you're getting in!"

I laughed, then in between fights, ran my wire through a long plastic conduit with flaps to an outlet on the wall. It took a while. I was about 15 feet short. So, I hunted down a houseman and borrowed another extension cord. After hooking up, I found out that this particular outlet had no power! Someone said that I'd have to hook up to another outlet about 50 feet away.

I gave up. I scribbled down my observations and left the typing until later.

I'd been fighting a cold all last week (it's still lingering, by the way!), so I didn't put that much time into this last report, what with other demands on my time and energy.

Regards,

Juan

vCash

Scary License Plate Scam!

Wow! I just received this disturbing email from a friend. Check it out:

Check Your Drivers License........ This is against The Law!

This is scary. I thought I should pass this along. This is my
    gift to you. Check your driver's license. Now you can see anyone's
    Driver's License on the Internet, including your own! Do you believe
    this?!! I just searched for mine and there it was... picture and all!!

Thanks Homeland Security! Where are our rights?

I definitely removed mine. I suggest you do the same. Go to the web site
    and check it out. Just enter your name, city and state to see if yours is
    on file. After your license comes on the screen, click the box marked,
    "Please Remove."

This will remove it from public viewing, but not from law enforcement.
    Protect yourself from identity theft!

Link to Online License Plate Site

vCash

Going to Merrillville, Indiana Friday Night & More!

I'll be driving down to Merrillville, Indiana to see the fights. From what I understand, Don Moore is out (according to sources, he signed on with another Indiana promoter) and the undefeated Chicago middleweight Michael Walker will be stepping up to the main event. That's fine, as I enjoy watching Walker fight, which he does very well.

Now, don't quote me on this or send me excoriating emails about not doing my job as a writer! This column serves more or less as my blog.

On Saturday afternoon, I'll be prepping empanadas that I'll be taking to my buddy's house for the Superbowl. This will take some doing! Later that evening, I'll be going on a date with an interesting person from eHarmony.com.

Then, of course, Sunday, there's church, the Superbowl party at Bryan's, and a little prep work for Monday morning. Woo-hoo!

On another note, my trainer, David "The Weezel" Estrada, will be flying up to Minnesota to fight James Crayton on Friday night. He was originally scheduled to fight Robert Kamya, who beat Alex Bunema several years ago at the United Center and was ignobly knocked out by Joel Julio about a year or two after that. I hope David does well, as he's a good guy and true friend.

All that to say that I won't be training with David this week. However, I'll probably head down to the gym Thursday night. Yeh.

I've been more or less convalescing the last week or so with this darn cold that is getting better, but just isn't going away.

And now, we've got this horribly cold weather? Whatcha gonna do?

Oh well. Gotta run.

Stay warm,

Juan

vCash

Re: Scary License Plate Scam!

Quote Originally Posted by Juan C Ayllon
    Wow! I just received this disturbing email from a friend. Check it out:
    Juan,

I think I know who send you that link!!

vCash

Re: Close Up and Personal: Faces in the Crowd, Pt. 2

Hi Frank,

You would be right!

Have a good day,

Juan

vCash

A Little Friday Humor

Frank Baltazar sent me the following bit of humor. I don't know if this link will work or not, but I'll give it a try:

More Trunk Monkeys Link

And here's one a friend, Tina, emailed me earlier:

Don't Honk at Granny Link

Have a great weekend and be safe!

Best,

Juan
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 02-01-2008 at 03:37 PM.

vCash

Rodeo Monkey

Check this out:

Rodeo Monkey Video Link

I first heard about "Whiplash," the rodeo monkey, yesterday while listening to my radio on my drive to work. In the video, he rides a dog around the rodeo rink.

Warning: There's a netflix commercial that preceeds it.

Cheers,

jca
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 02-01-2008 at 04:01 PM.

vCash

'Weezel' Estrada Now Faces Robert Kamya!

David "The Weezel" Estrada at left

Hey, I just received this update from Francie Estrada, wife of David "The Weezel" (sic) Estrada:

Link to Update

Estrada will be in for a rough fight. However, I hope him all the best. Who knows? Maybe this fight will lift David's career, especially after Ronald Hearns softened Kamya up last September.

Regards,

Juan
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 02-01-2008 at 04:49 PM.

vCash

At Ringside in Merrilleville, Indiana

Hey,

I was asked by Tyree Ortiz, the operations guy for One in a Million Boxing to be their official photographer and, after I agreed, he asked me to take a few shots of the ring card girls. That was a hoot!

Some representatives from Miller Lite

I've got more photos coming, along with my report, that I'll post up shortly.

Michael Walker (left) finishes Jerome Elder

Derrick "Superman" Findley (right) attacks Nathan Martin

Cheers,

Juan
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 02-09-2008 at 01:53 PM.

vCash

Friday Funnies: The 'Alias Approach'

"Ahhhh. So, this is the secret to getting women that I've been looking for! Thank you, Men's Journal!

"So, like, dude! Where are all the chicks? I don't get it..."

+ Reply to Thread