Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Close Up and Personal: Faces in the Crowd, Pt. 2

vCash

Watching Football at Tom's

Earlier this evening, I watched football with some friends at Tom Glunz's house. Here are some photos from that informal get together.

Glunz has shot photos for some of my CBZ Newswire page reports in the past and continues to be a good friend.

Rex Grossman replaced Griese when the latter was injured on a play

This is Tom's awesome flatscreen TV. Man, I'd love to have THAT in my living room!

Tom shows off his new iPhone to Sean, while Chris watches the game intently and his son plays a handheld video game in the background. It was about that exciting, as the Bears struggled to eek out a victory in a game that looked pretty horrible.

The traditional "burning of the leaves" at Tom's. Whereas it's not quite as terrifying as the "running of the bulls," there was a scary moment or two when Tom tried igniting the pile with a little gasoline and the leaves went up in a small explosion. Yeah. Life in the fastlane in the suburbs on a Sunday evening...

By the way, I would NOT recommend using gasoline as an accelerant! Tom used a portion of a cup of gas and it still ignited explosively. I knew a person who ended up being airlifted by one of those emergency "Flight for Life" helicopters when he tried burning branches in his back yard using gasoline. It's far too unstable and--as Tom pointed out--evaporates quickly and low to the ground and often ends up surrounding you so when it ignites, you end up in the middle of a fiery explosion.

Tom (left) and Sean watch the course of the fire, which sputtered greatly at times...
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-12-2007 at 09:21 AM.

vCash

Chillin' at the Crib...

These are a couple pics I snapped several weeks ago, the first after a jog lying down on my couch and trying out my phone camera on my Blackberry Pearl. So far, I think its photography characteristics are a bit on the weak side. It's got a flash, but it's not all that strong.
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-11-2007 at 10:23 PM.

vCash

Inspiration...

I stopped by Einstein Bagel on the way to work this morning to grab my whole wheat bagel with lowfat cream cheese and a large coffee. As I walked in, I saw this very handsome and trim man dressed in a nice pressed oxford shirt, khaki pants, and penny loafers. He must have been six foot two or three with a crisp, over-the-ear haircut and chiseled features.

Now, mind you, I'm not gay. However, he inspired me to get more serious about my weight reduction program. It's like I was looking at him and thinking to myself, whereas I'll never look like that, I could look a lot sharper if I got serious about diet and exercise again and stuck with it.

That's the plan, anyways.

I've been going through a blue period as of late and it's been difficult to come out of it completely. However, I feel that the fog is lifting, so to speak, ever so slowly.

On a slightly different note, I'll be resubmitting a piece to a Chicagoland paper on female boxer Rita Figueroa and using excerpts from her fight this Friday as part of the piece. I'll be sure to let you know if it's accepted or not and--if possible--provide a link to it if and when it's published.

Cheers,

Juan
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-13-2007 at 02:35 PM.

vCash

Latest Audio Addition...

What the heck! I decided to put some money down on layaway for a used Bag End Infrasub 18" subwoofer to add to my sound system downstairs. It's available through a reputable local dealer and, not wanting to put it on my credit card, I'm doing it on layaway.

Check out the specs:

Description and Specifications: 400 Watt 18" forward firing sealed powered subwoofer. Input channels (RCA jacks) for left, center, and right with high pass outputs at 12dB per octave (-6 db 95 Hz), one pair of speaker level inputs, level adjustment, polarity +/- switch, detachable power cord, and master on/off switch on back of unit. Rated frequency response is 8 - 95 Hz +/- 3dB. Built-In overload protection is provided to prevent damage due to overdriving the sub. 23.5" H x 21.25" W x 18.25" D. 1 year warranty.
    This will add a little more low end to my system when I want it. I'm stoked!

vCash

A Great Boxing Movie to Watch on DVD...

Check this out sometime. It's equally good for watching with the guys or with a special gal:

The Boxer, featuring Daniel Day-Lewis and Emily Watson. The choreography and action in the ring was exceptional and the story wonderful, as well.

Lewis is a former member of an IRA faction returning from 14 years in prison and resurrects a controversial boxing gym that allows both Catholics and Protestants to participate. It's nestled in the volatile city of Ulster. In the process, Lewis risks all in rekindling a relationship with Watson, who plays the estranged wife of a still-imprisoned member of the IRA group.

I highly recommend it.

vCash

RE: 'The Boxer' Movie...

Coincidentally, former world champion and standout Irish boxer, Barry McGuigan, seen below, arranged the boxing choreography in The Boxer. I must say, it's some of the best boxing footage by far that I've seen in a movie.

Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-13-2007 at 04:26 PM.

vCash

Wine Charms for the Holidays!

One of my friends, Abby Ryan, a radio traffic announcer on various stations in Illinois and Indiana, is selling wine charms for the holidays (see above photos for examples). They're five dollars a set!

If you're interested, click on the link below:

www.abbyryan.com

Two stations I know Abby appears on regularly are WMBI (Moody Bible Institute's radio station) and WBEZ (the National Public Radio station for Chicago). I know that she's also on a handful of other stations.

She said regarding her charms:

Which glass is your at this Christmas party?
    Spice up any Christmas gathering. Each little wine
    charm is different so you won't loose your glass.

This set makes a great house-warming or hosting gift
    too!

Choose which set you like. They are the perfect hostess gift or a great stocking stuffer. Buy them for your kids teacher. You can't beat this price!
    Cheers,

Juan
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-13-2007 at 08:38 PM.

vCash

Waukegan Teachers Contract Rejected by Members

On a more personal note, the contract we were offered in the district I teach at was absolutely demeaning and insulting. Needless to say, I think the comment, "we believe we offered a fair contract" was about as intelligent as the statement, "If our G.I.'s would just be nice to the jihadists and think nice thoughts, the bombings would stop."

The upside is that it looks like our high school will have its own bargaining unit apart from the grade schools.

Divided teachers reject contract

November 14, 2007
    By RYAN PAGELOW rpagelow@scn1.com
    WAUKEGAN-- Waukegan teachers rejected a negotiated agreement with Waukegan Community Unit District 60, days after Waukegan High School teachers filed a petition to become their own bargaining unit within the union.

The Lake County Federation of Teachers Local 504, which has been working without a contract since June 30, did not have enough votes to ratify the agreement on Monday night, one day before the school board was expected to ratify the contract. It paves the way for more bargaining between the teachers’ union and the district, although no dates have been set.

Waukegan Superintendent of Schools Donaldo Batiste, seated with trustees, said he was not at liberty to comment on teachers’ rejection of the contract that the board had expected to ratify Tuesday night.
    (Andre J. Jackson/News-Sun)

June Maguire, president of the Waukegan School Board, looks over her notes during Tuesday's board meeting in Lincoln Center.

• Divided teachers reject contract

“The teacher’s negotiating team will meet by the end of the week. We hope to resolve it in a timely manner,” said Judy Fredbeck, president of the Waukegan Council.

Under the agreement, which was rejected by 400 union members and approved by 327, teachers would have seen an average salary increase of 6 percent this year and 4 percent in 2008-09 and 2009-10, she said.

The union represents about 1,100 teachers, social workers, nurses, and speech and language pathologists. Only two thirds of the union members voted, Fredbeck said. Contract bargaining started in May.

She did not want to comment on why union members rejected the contract until she could survey members, she said.

On Friday, high school teachers submitted a petition to the Illinois Education Labor Relations Board to be a separate bargaining unit within the Lake County Federation of Teachers, said Ken Wolin, vice president of the Waukegan Council.

Nearly 200 of the 285 certified professional staff at the high school signed the petition, he said. Last year the teachers had submitted a similar petition, but had a slim majority that was unaccepted.

Since the high school and elementary schools consolidated into one consolidated district, high school staff have had less of a voice during contract negotiations, he said. For example, he is the only high school teacher on the Waukegan Council’s 16-member executive board, he said.

“The balance of power has swung to the elementary level,” he said. “Was money an issue, yes. But it’s not the only issue.”

Waukegan teachers earn an average $51,657 while the state average is $58,275, according to the 2007 School Report Card.

District Superintendent Donaldo Batiste said he couldn’t comment while contract negotiations were still ongoing.

Bill Anderson was the only school board member to mention the teachers’ rejection of the bargaining agreement during Tuesday night’s meeting, calling it the “600 pound gorilla” in the room.

“We are behind the administration,” he said. “We believe we offered a fair contract.”
    Link to Actual Article
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-14-2007 at 03:29 PM.

vCash

Expectations on Relationships--Part I

I found this interesting read up at Yahoo.com earlier. Check it out:

Dave Zinczenko's Mysteries of the Sexes Explained

Do You Expect Too Much From Your Relationship?

We all deserve to find people who connect with us, who care for us, who make us laugh, who drive us crazy (in a good way), and who make us feel more excited than a popcorn kernel in a microwave.

Of course, we should all strive for all five qualities, not settle for two or three of the total. That said, many of us have unfair expectations of what relationships are supposed to be like.

Blame it on the movies, or romance novels, or Barbie-and-Ken mythology, but seeking perfection in a relationship isn't noble; it's doomed. Think about the lottery winners: They play with the hope that they'll score big, quit the job, buy a yacht, and party for the rest of their lives.

But the reality for so many mega-bucks winners is that they end up in a dead-end life with relatives clawing at them and bankruptcy lawyers dividing the spoils. Why? Because their expectations of their fantasy life were far different than the reality, and they end up blowing the so-called best thing that ever happened to them.

Same goes for relationships. You may hit lucky sevens with a perfect match, but if you don't manage the fantasy with a dose of reality, your heart will be headed for bankruptcy.

vCash

Relationships--Part II

And it continues...

Below, you'll find four key fantasy vs. reality clashes. Make sure you end up on the right side

Expectation: The Fireworks of Romance
    Reality: The Fireworks of Conflict

Sure, when sparks fly in a beginning of relationship, you've got oodles of chemistry, hopes, and anticipation. But to think that every day is going to be a barrel of butter-cream icing is just asking for trouble.

If you're experiencing a lot of passion, you need to manage the 180-degree side of that passion-hard-core conflict. While some see conflict as relationship weakness, it can actually be the opposite - a Harvard study, in fact, found that subjects who express their anger have half the risk of heart disease compared with men who internalize it.

It's a sign that you're communicating, a sign that you both care about the relationship, and a sign that you've got sparks, not complacency.

Expectation: The Perfect Package
    Reality: Imperfect Behavior

When two people meet "the one," they tell all their friends about all the qualities of the new-found lover: Cute, friendly, compassionate, funny, good job, nice shoes, gorgeous body. In other words, poifect!

Yeah, right, your friends think, and they're probably right. Okay, your new love interest seems to fit 97 of your 100 pieces of criteria for the perfect mate - after the second date. But again, that level of expectation can be an unfair standard that your imperfect companion will never be able to live up to as weeks, months, and years pass.

Better to admire and appreciate the things that made you swoon. Then, it's up to you to manage the warts and worries (in personality, behavior, hygiene, whatever) that will slowly be introduced the more you get to know them.

Expectation: Wild Nights, Sleepy Days
    Reality: Wild Days, Sleepy Nights

The joys of dating: Party all night, then lounge around during the day in anticipation of the night ahead. Of course, the initial excitement - about an impending date on the town or a friendly tussle in the bedroom - is one of the main engines that drives the relationship early on.

That power source will wind down a bit once commitment sets in and routine takes over. Fight the impulse to pull away when you start to feel this relationship shift; spending time with a romantic partner can curb work-related stress and lower blood pressure, according to researchers at the University of North Carolina.

The most successful couples are the ones who are able to adapt to the fact that crazy work days, the stress of life, and the daily grind of reality will become a stronger force than all-night talks under the stars.

Expectation: Complete Immersion
    Reality: Occasional Diversion

When you start dating someone who drives you to Jack Nicholson levels of craziness, you want total saturation. You want to talk on the phone, you want an inbox full of flirty messages, you want five nights a week of dates, you can't stop thinking about them, and everything you say, do, smell, touch, or eat reminds you of that person.

If that's you, I'm happy for you. That kind of all-consuming infatuation is one of the greatest feelings in life. But it just can't last. And - truth to tell - men may maintain an interest in the NFL, and want to watch a game or two with buds.

Or women may decide that, heck, those end-of-season sales just can't go on without them. Many couples write off those feelings as evidence that they must be falling out of love. I don't see it that way. I see it as falling into reality, and successful couples know how to change their definition of immersion.

In fact, University of Chicago researchers found that those with a wide circle of friends have an easier time dealing with stress and have a lower risk of heart disease than people who rely on only one or two others for support. That is, they don't see immersion as being based on quantity of time together, but rather immersing themselves in each other in whatever time they have-whether it's a lot or not.

vCash

Several Church Singles Events Coming Up!

Hey,

I received these two invitations through the Springbrook singles group:

You're invited to Springbrook Community Church's
    singles potluck dinner for food, fellowship and
    games.

As usual, there will be many games available. For
    the first time we'll be offering the chance to play
    "Deal or No Deal"...with opportunity to win a prize!

This event is open to everyone so invite your
    friends!

There is no charge for this event. Please bring a
    dish to share.

Saturday, November 17
    starts at 6:30PM (you are welcome to join us for
    service at 5PM) in the church gym

Springbrook Community Church
    10115 Algonquin Rd.
    Huntley , IL 60142
    Phone (224) 569-3300

Come join the fun at one of the Springbrook singles group social events for December...

Date: Saturday, December 1

The Place: Northwestern University Campus in Evanston

The Dance: Bonfire Dance with DJ music sponsor by the Northwestern Swing Dance Society
    (http://studentassociation.gsad.north...nsda/Home.html)

Dancing: 7:00 pm - 11:00 pm

Admission: Free!!!!

Campus Location: The NU Firepit by the Lake. See website for directions.
    Note: This is a weather related event. Weather reports will be posted on the website starting on Nov. 30th. If the event is cancelled, notice will be posted on the website no later than 2 hours before the dance on the 1st. Since the dance floor is grass, tennis shoes are recommended.

Hi everyone,

Come join the joyous holiday celebration as the Willow Creek McHenry Single Adults' Ministry and Willow Highlights co-host a Christmas dance.

DJ dance music will be by Lenny Bell. Snacks and beverages provided. All single adults are welcome, married "alumni," too!

Date: Saturday, December 8

Time: 8-11:30PM

Location: Room 100 (lower level of the church, directly below the chapel)
    Willow Creek Community Church
    67 E. Algonquin Road
    South Barrington, IL 60010

Admission: $10 (pay at door)

Recommended attire: semi-formal (some guidelines: jackets and turtlenecks or ties for men, nice dresses or pant suits for women.)

Andrea
    I'm planning on dropping by several of these events.

Cheers,

Juan
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-14-2007 at 05:17 PM.

vCash

Rita Figueroa Piece...

Hey,

Our very own Rita Figueroa, AKA Fightgirl, is fighting this Friday night at Cicero Stadium. It's her first fight back since suffering a torn rotator cuff in training for a bout against Mia Rosales-St. John. That bout was scuttled.

I originally submitted this piece to a Chicago-based paper back in July or August. However, it was rejected because it was too predictable, amongst other things.

I will be working on a re-write using segments of Rita's fight this Friday to submit to this same publication.

In the meanwhile, enjoy this piece that I've now posted at the CBZ Newswire page:

Rita Figueroa Article Link

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

Caved-In to the Lou Malnatti Urge!

A Lou Malnatti's sausage pizza. It's to die for!

When I arrived home to an oven that needs repair, I decided to order out. Looking through the phone book, I discovered there was a Lou Malnatti's in Grayslake. That's not exactly within the range of delivery, but at 20 minutes away, it's doable for pick-up.

Let me tell you: If you haven't had Lou Malnatti's, in my opinion, it's the best! However, some people love it, others hate it. For my money, it's wonderful. The buttery flavored crust, the tomatoes, the sauce--yum! I much prefer it over Gino's East.

It was good. In fact, it was really good!

Now, pizza, red wine and boxing--what's not to like here?

The tricky part, here--like for that downed boxer on the TV--is getting up after such a meal and getting some exercise!

Later,

Juan
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-16-2007 at 01:01 AM.

vCash

Boxing Fine Art Exhibit in Long Island This Weekend!

I just posted this up at the CBZ Newswire page earlier today on what looks to be an intriguing fine art photography exhibit.

I wish I could be there!

The face of undisputed super middleweight king, Joe Calzaghe

Keifel's 'Face of Boxing' Art Exhibit Opens Saturday, November 17th!

LONG ISLAND, NY - During the past five years, Holger Keifel has compiled the most important photographic collection of boxing portraits ever assembled.

To date, he has recorded more than 300 subjects. The list includes boxing legends like Joe Frazier, Larry Holmes, Emile Griffith, Roberto Duran, Carmen Basilio, and Jake LaMotta, as well as contemporary fighters like Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, Oscar De La Hoya, Bernard Hopkins, Felix Trinidad, Floyd Mayweather Jr, and the Klitschko brothers. The collection includes trainers, managers, promoters, writers, and others involved in the sweet science. It ranges from the powerful and famous (Don King and Bob Arum) to anonymous matchmakers and cutmen who toil in the trenches. The images are detailed and powerful. There is no other collection in the world like it.

A sampling of Keifel's photographs will be on display at the Dean Project Gallery in Guys & Dolls: Seeing Stars (a two-artist exhibition). The other featured photographer is Rose Hartman, whose work includes images of celebrities as diverse as Jacqueline Onassis, Donatella Versace, and Naomi Campbell.

Keifel's work has been published The New York Times Magazine, Playboy, Der Spiegel, The Observer Sports Monthly, and numerous other publications. His photographs have been previously exhibited at The Corcoran Gallery, The Butler Museum of Contemporary Art, his work is several museum collections including The Museum of the City of New York.

The exhibition will run from November 17, 2008, through January 5, 2008. Normal gallery hours are Thursday through Monday from noon to 6:00 pm.

OPENING RECEPTION:

Saturday, November 17th, from 5:00 to 8:00 pm

DEAN PROJECT GALLERY
    45-43 21st Street.
    Long Island City, NY 11101

Telephone: 718-706-1462

vCash

Dang!

Dang! This makes my Lou Malnatti's pizza dinner seem, well, almost like chopped liver. Sheesh!

I keep getting these invites in my email inbox. Hmmm. Maybe it's a "sign" that I need to move back out west...

Well, as tempting as it is, nah!

At least for now,

Juan

vCash

Some Random Shots Driving into Chicago

Here are a few shots I snapped with my cell phone en route to the class I've been taking Tuesday nights:

This boat on a trailer in front of me had a name plate that read, "Das Boot," which I found ironic. Although I enjoyed it a great deal, the movie, Das Boot, which chronicled the story of a U-Boat crew in World War II, could be painfully tedious and long at times, much like my drive into Chicago during rush hour.

Some policemen on horseback near the parking garage I stow my car in while I attend class. Man, I wish I could have stilled my camera better for these shots!
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-16-2007 at 02:32 AM.

vCash

'Ten Rules for Thanksgiving Dinner'

David "The Weezel" (sic) Estrada forwarded me this funny list of rules for Thanksgiving dinner. It was a hoot!

Check it out:

10 RULES FOR THANKSGIVING DINNER AT MY HOUSE

1. Don't get in line asking questions about the food. "Who made the potato salad? Is it egg in there? Are the greens fresh? Is the meat in the greens turkey or pork? Who made the macaroni and cheese? What kind of pie is that? Who made it? Ask one more question and I will punch you in your mouth, knocking out all your fronts so you won't be able to eat anything.

2. If you can't walk or are missing any limbs, sit your butt down until someone makes your plate for you. Dinner time is not the time for you to be independent. Nibble on them pecans and walnuts to hold you over until someone makes you a plate.

3. If you have kids under the age of twelve, I will escort their little butts to the basement and bring their food down to them. They are not gonna tear the house up this year. Tell them that they are not allowed upstairs until it's time to start telling family stories about their mommas and papas. If they come upstairs for any reason except for that they are bleeding to death, I will tear their butts up and you better not ask why!

4. There is going to be one prayer for Thanksgiving dinner! JUST ONE We do not care that you are thankful that your 13 year old daughter gave birth to a healthy baby or your nephew just got out of jail. The time limit for the prayer is one minute. If you are still talking after that one minute is up, you will feel something hard come across your lips and they will be swollen for approximately 20 minutes.

5. Finish everything on your plate before you go up for seconds! If you don't, you will be asked to stay your greedy butt home next year!

6. BRING YOUR OWN TUPPERWARE!! Don't let me catch you fixing yourself a plate in my good Tupperware knowing that I will never see it again! Furthermore, if you didn't bring anything over, don't let me catch you making a plate period or it will be a misunderstanding. And why are you making plates before you eat? You never bring a dish or offer a dime do you?

7. What you came with is what you should leave with!! Do not leave the house with anything that doesn't belong to you. EVERYBODY WILL BE SUBJECTED TO A BODY SEARCH COMING AND GOING OUT OF MY DOMAIN!!!

8. Do not leave your kids so you can go hopping from house to house. This is not a DAYCARE CENTER! There will be a kid-parent roll call every ten minutes. Any parent that is not present at the time of roll call, your child will be put outside until you come and get him or her. After 24 hours, I will call CPS!

9. BOOK YOUR HOTEL ROOM BEFORE YOU COME INTO TOWN!! There will be no sleeping over at my house! You are to come and eat dinner and go home or to your hotel room. EVERYBODY GETS KICKED OUT AT 11:00 pm. You will get a 15 minute warning bell ring.

10. Last but not least! ONE PLATE PER PERSON!! This is not a soup kitchen. I am not trying to feed your family until Christmas dinner! You will be supervised when you fix your plate. Anything over the appropriate amount will be charged to you before you leave. There will be a cash register at the door. Thanks to Cousin Alfred and his greedy family, we now have a credit card machine! So VISA and MASTERCARD are now being accepted. NO FOOD STAMPS OR ACCESS CARDS YET! HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!

vCash

Ten Rules for Forwarding Emails

This was my half-baked attempt at a humorous list:

10 Rules for Forwarded E-Mails

1. Only forward the intended message ONCE.

2. Do NOT forward messages which promise something cool to appear on my screen after I've sent it to 10 people, pay me a $10,000 commission from Microsoft, or give me good luck.

3. Do not forward photos of badly mangled or dismembered people from on-the-job accidents, shark attacks or consumption by crocodiles.

4. Do not send me photos of fuzzy ducklings, puppies in suggestive positions, kittens, or cute little children doing obnoxious things.

5. Do NOT send me political action petitions, protests or solicitation to boycott various companies.

6. Do not send me schlocky poetry pieces, like:

The word was good/but then it got better/when i saw you in/ a tight-knit sweater...

7. Do not forward me inivitations to multi-level marketing seminars or any of those "I made $10 million dollars last year working part time from home" type seminars. No thanks!

8. Do not forward me any of those letters advising me of a long lost relative dying and leaving $100,000 in a bank in Africa and offering me 10 percent of proceeds if I help process the loot through my personal bank account.

9. Do NOT send me invitations to provide moving assistance, free DJ services, or monetary assistance to someone I don't know.

10. Do not send me photos of your third aunt's cousin's nephew's newborn baby boy. I really don't care how cute he is!

vCash

Sunday Afternoon Joke of the Day

Hey,

My mom forwarded me this joke:

I took my dad to the mall the other day to buy some new shoes.

We decided to grab a bite at the food court. I noticed he was watching a
    teenager sitting next to him. The teenager had spiked hair in all
    different colors: green, red, orange, and blue. My dad kept staring at
    him. The teenager would look and find him staring every time.

When the teenager had enough, he sarcastically asked, 'What's the
    matter old man, never done anything wild n your life?'

Knowing my Dad, I quickly swallowed my food so that I would not choke on
    his response; knowing he would have a good one.

And in classic style he did not bat an eye in his response, 'Got drunk once and had sex with a peacock. I was just wondering if you were my son.'

vCash

Rita Figueroa Does Us Proud!

At left, Rita Figueroa covers up on the ropes

Well, Rita had a tough fight, but she prevailed! Check out the report which I posted up a little earlier of the event.

Link to Rita's Fight Report

Link to Main and Co-Main Fight Recaps

By the way, also check out the pics Thomas contributed! Good stuff!

Cheers,

Juan
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-20-2007 at 12:24 PM.

vCash

Writing, rewriting and writing again!

Well, it's been a long day! I spent the better part of it organizing, writing, and massaging a piece on Rita Figueroa for the Chicago Reader. I honestly think it's one of my better pieces.

I'm really hoping that they'll publish it. But, if not, that's all right. At least I gave it my best shot.

And, if not, maybe I'll resubmit it elsewhere!

Oh, and by the way, for those of you who celebrate it, happy Thanksgiving!

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

Some Thanksgiving Pics!

I just posted these up at the CBZ Newswire page:

Happy Holidays Link

--jca

Here's a few others...

Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-23-2007 at 02:47 PM.

vCash

Blast from the Not-So-Distant Past...

Oh, how fun! Luis showed me some pics from last summer's Doobie Brothers outing. I found several pics with Beck, who's still my bud...

(Beck and I are just over Dave's shoulder above)

Beck and I chatted earlier today, in fact. She called to wish me a happy Thanksgiving, which was nice. She's a real sweetheart!
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-23-2007 at 02:51 PM.

vCash

Fres Oquendo's Belts...

I stopped by Fres Oquendo's house earlier this evening to shoot a photo of Fres for the CBZ Newswire page, since he's so close to Luis' house and, while I was there, snapped this shot of these belts. I believe two of them are the WBO and WBC Latino Heavyweight title belts...

Fres and his wife, Stacy

Fres (left) poses my youngest brother, Pablo, who came along to meet Fres

Fres poses with me for the camera
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-23-2007 at 02:15 AM.

vCash

A Little Redundant, but...

Hey,

I mixed up the chipotle sauce at the beginning of the Favorite Hors D'eauvres and Appetizer's string (see photo immediately below) to compliment quesadillas I made for appetizers for Thanksgiving dinner at my brother's house. Check out some of the pics!

I sauteed chunks of portabello mushroom and onions in olive oil with some sea salt thrown in (in the skillet above). Then, I folded in some steak, portabello mushrooms, onions, and sharp cheddar cheese in the tortillas and grilled them in another pan with vegetable oil.

I cut the quesadillas in little triangles and served them up on a plate around a bowl in which I placed the sauce, which had a bit of a kick to it! Yum...

Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-23-2007 at 05:11 AM.

vCash

Re: Close Up and Personal: Faces in the Crowd

Jaun did you ever find out if you can get like a best of Tim Karawzinski (spelling), on disc, his Saturday Night Live characters, you know the Gandi guy & the Doctor with the que-cards where as far as I'm concerned the funniest features of Saturday Night Live.

vCash

Re: Close Up and Personal: Faces in the Crowd

Hi Jim,

I had forwarded an inquiry to Kazurinsky last summer and he never did reply to that question. Actually, it took him a while to grade our assignments, but he got back to us with some insightful comments. For instance, that CBZ Message Board piece, he suggested making it instead a low budget cable show where people call in, as I recall. He was very, very busy with some major work projects.

You might check out Ebay and run a search on Tim Kazurinsky (or is it Kazurinski? I forget!). You'd be surprised what you find there!

vCash

'Local Favorite' Plays at Cabs!

Last night, I drove down to Glen Ellyn, Illinois, to visit my brother, Luis, his wife, Lisa, and check out a band that was playing there called, "Local Favorite." They're a band that plays accoustic guitars, drums, electric bass and keyboards with very nice vocals in covering a wide range of hits, including Jimmy Buffet, the Beattles, and some modern alternative groups.

Luis said he'd never heard them before, but heard they had a pretty good local following. If last night was any indicator, that was an understatement!
    The place was completely packed when I came in. It was wall-to-wall people for several hours.

Check out some of the pics:

I shot this photo from the stairs in the back (which lead to a smaller area with additional seating upstairs).

I like this photo because it captures this pensive, bluesy mood that kicked off this song.

Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-24-2007 at 03:47 PM.

vCash

More 'Local Favorite' Pics

The lead guitarist tunes his guitar

Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 01-11-2008 at 01:44 PM.

vCash

Sometimes a Man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do...

Ingrid Marie Rivera smiles with an unidentified man during a beauty pageant in Santurce, Puerto Rico, Friday, Nov. 23, 2007. Rivera, beat 29 rivals to become the island's 2008 Miss Universe contestant, despite applying makeup and wearing evening gowns that had been coated with pepper spray, pageant spokesman Harold Rosario said. (AP Photo/Ricardo Diaz Serrano)
    That's me consoling Ms. Puerto Rico. Yeah, and then I woke up...

Actually, earlier this afternoon, one of my buddies had posted another photo of Ms. Puerto Rico on my lab's computer background. So, I modified another photo of her and set it as the new background. Needless to say, he laughed when he saw it.

Anyways...
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 11-26-2007 at 05:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread