Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who are the best US Stand Up comedians on the circuit

vCash

Who are the best US Stand Up comedians on the circuit

Obviously you have the big names like Chris Rock, then late great guys like Pryor and Bill Hicks, but i was wondering if anyone could advise me of whos hilarious on your side of the pond right now who isn't a major star.... Any advice??

vCash

Re: Who are the best US Stand Up comedians on the circuit

I haven't seen many, but Rock to me is superb. So quick, never faulters or stutters and just keeps rolling it off. His material too is top notch. Risky and politically very incorrect, but he says exactly what we think.....

Banned
    vCash

My Absolute favorite Standup Comedian TODAY

Has to be Brian Regan.

He's got plenty of stuff on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcx_T0f9FLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU8RY...eature=related

Check him out. He's one of the rare standup Comics who actually has a clean act too.

Imagine that. Making folks laugh with out cheep shock value theatrics by dropping a f-bomb every 7 seconds.

Hawk
    Last edited by hawk5ins; 03-05-2008 at 10:32 AM.

vCash

Russell Peters

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nn5jlrxcpkI&feature=related

Canadian comedian from Brampton Ontario. An East Indian guy whose humour is based alot on racial stereotypes. Very funny stuff.

vCash

Regan, Patton Oswald (yep... Spence and Ratatouilli (sp)), Harvey are my favorites at the moment.

Regan would come in third...but he is funny.

Least funny? Dane Cook. Literally. Also not big on Chris Rock, but "Everybody Hates Chris" is a tremendous show.

What do I know, I used to laugh until I cried at Foster Brooks.

Banned
    vCash

You like Drunks.

Where is the fault in that?

The only comedian I change the channel quicker on than Cooke was Howie Mandell.

Man I was flipping through the channells last night and an OLD HBO standup young comedians show was on and I was INSTANTLY reminded why I hated Howie Mandell.

Also on the show was Richard Lewis. And I remembered why I hated Richard Lewis so much.

Every time Richard Lewis was on TV, I instantly had lower back pain. His
    constant movement on stage and bending over to give a physical delivery to his non physical brand of comedy always gave me a feeling of lower back pain.

But what do I know. I thought Bob Nelson was hysterical.

Hawk

vCash

Larry The Cable Guy may be leading western civilization back into the primordial muck, but I laughed myself silly a few years ago when I saw him.

Another guy who is non-stop funny: Dave Attell

vCash

Lewis Black is my personal favorite at the moment. His angry middle-aged white guy humor keeps me in stitches.

vCash

I know he isn't for all tastes, but Jake Johansson's sense of the absurd always leaves me in stitches. I first saw him about 17 or 18 years ago and he's been a favorite of mine since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FztVU6swtkM

Banned
    vCash

Very Funny T

I love that type of humor.

As if you couldn't tell.

The Fridge story with the power company was classic.

I also am a huge Lewis Black fan.

Very funny.

Hawk

vCash

Among the well known: Dennis Miller, George Carlin. Carlin has stood the test of time, his material is top-notch and fresh, and he's been at it for 45 years or more.

I love Bill Maher's humor, but at stand-up he is occasionally great, often not very good, and it's usually political these days (as is much of Miller's).

All three are incredibly clever. I like Lewis Black currently as well.

The worst I ever saw, who said nothing funny, was the star of the hit (how??) TV program, Home Improvement. Tim Allen. Personally, I don't think he has a funny bone in his body. Nor Drew Carey, another guy who makes $millions. Seems like nerd humor from both of them.

Turn on HBO's Def Comedy Jam if you want to hear the words "fuck" and "shit" throughout virtually every act. The level of humor is pretty weak for most comedians on that show, IMO.

Richard Pryor, Don Rickles, and Rodney Dangerfield are three of my all-time favs. Bill Cosby was clean and clever, but didn't make me howl out loud.

vCash

In terms of stand-up, there is no one better than Louie CK at this point. No one, this guy is hilarious. Bill Burr, Dave Attel, also very talented comedians.

vCash

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    Where is the fault in that?

The only comedian I change the channel quicker on than Cooke was Howie Mandell.

Man I was flipping through the channells last night and an OLD HBO standup young comedians show was on and I was INSTANTLY reminded why I hated Howie Mandell.

Also on the show was Richard Lewis. And I remembered why I hated Richard Lewis so much.

Every time Richard Lewis was on TV, I instantly had lower back pain. His
    constant movement on stage and bending over to give a physical delivery to his non physical brand of comedy always gave me a feeling of lower back pain.

But what do I know. I thought Bob Nelson was hysterical.

Hawk
    Hawk, Mandell is very funny on stage. Seen him live about five times over the years, always funny, always good material. He's good on the spot, although he does recycle a small amount of material, but, he mixes in enough new good material that you don't mind it much.

vCash

recently saw doug stanhope....that his shit was poinant.

when he does that "i think WE should shut the fuck up" moment he is right on que. plus he smokes and drinks onstage...just to stick it to the man.
    greg

Banned
    vCash

I know he does the same routines over and over again and his Texas-based perspectives turn off a lot of the . . . non-Texan population, but every time I watch Ron White tell about his English bulldog Sluggo begging (in quite articulate human verbiage) to be taken to the vet for the purpose of being artificially relieved of his dogjuice to inseminate various female canines, I roll on the floor in laughter.

Sluggo (desperately, while White is entertaining guests): "Come on, man, please, pleeeeezzzeeee -- you did it to me yesterday!"

Sluggo (ever more desperate and frustrated): "I'd do it myself, but I ain't got any thumbs! I ain't got any goddamned thumbs!"

Then there's the thoroughly drunken White (at nine-thirty in the morning) calmly soothing the fears of a fellow passenger on a plane with a malfunctioning engine: "Well, I just hope we hit something hard, because I don't want to limp away from this son of a bitch."

Classic stuff. PeteLeo.

vCash

Chris Rock is the man.Dave Chappelle is nice, but not quite on Chris' level.Plus, I don't know if he's still in it after all the fallout over Chappelle Show.

vCash

I honestly don't know of too many current stand-up guys right now but I will second the notion that Dane Cook SUCKS. Sucks sucks sucks. Not funny. Did I mention he sucked?

Banned
    vCash

John Pinette has me rolling.
    don rickles is still hilarious
    I miss rodney dangerfield

seinfeld is awful as is jim carreys stand up.

vCash

Yeah, one of the great mysteries of the entertainment world is how in heaven Dane Cook got to where he is right now.

I love Jim Norton (who is even better as the third chair on the O & A show on Sirius/XM, Bill Burr, Attel, Nick Di Paolo (sic?), Bob Kelly, Jim Florentine. Matter of fact, some of my favorites are the ones I just named, who are largely the regular "house" comedians on Opie and Anthony's show.

But hands down, the funniest guy around, IMO, is Brian Regan. The mix of topical humor, his sense of the absurd and his physical comedy gifts make him very watchable and laugh out loud funny. And I've never heard anything harder than a "damn" come out of his mouth while working.

Kyoodle

vCash

Kevin James is another one that has a clean act that is very good.

God Bless Rodney Dangerfield

Randy

+ Reply to Thread