Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hatton vs. Maussa, Predictions

Todd Hodgson

Hatton vs. Maussa, Predictions

I've seen Maussa three times, against Jeff Resto, Miguel Cotto, and Vivian Harris. Cotto stopped Maussa on cuts; Maussa made Resto quit and KO'd Harris. Saturday's fight is on PPV ($20) at 4pm ET.

For those who haven't seen Maussa, he's a gangly 5-foot-11 awkward-as-hell Colombian with a good chin, and he throws 100+ looping punches per round. Both Cotto and Resto said he doesn't hit terribly hard, but he just keeps throwing and he's hard to hit.

Hatton is definitely the favorite but the 6-1 odds are tempting.

Roberto Aqui

6/1

6 to 1 eh? Tall, skinny guy with no power sounds tailor made for Hatton.

gregbeyer

Re: 6/1

yeah i was thinking the same thing. these wild swingers with good chins always spell trouble. at 6-1 a c-note seems like a fair bet. i like hatton but this mausa fight has spoiler written all over it. of course with my picks lately i have probably just crippled mausa's chances. hmmmm.
    greg

apollack

I'm seeing it completely differently. I believe this is a complete and total worthless mismatch. Hatton will quite easily dominate and stop Maussa. He will make him look like a rank amateur.

DEEAGLE

Hatton probably rapes him, if not he'll BLACKEN HIS CHRISTMAS, PISS ON HIS DOOR,HE'LL CRY OUT FOR MERCY, BUT STILL THERE WILL BE MORE!!!

gregbeyer

you guys are starting to convince me maybe i'll hold onto that c-note.....wasn't the poem tho. hopefully hatton does march thru this guy. his victory over k.t. was very impressive but later i doubted k.t.'s physical condition in that fight (injuries). mausa's free swinging win over vivian harris was a strange affair.

if hatton can win here impressively ( minus the rape) he should be in the drivers seat. lot of potentialy great fights on the horizon for him.
    greg

TKO Tom

Re: The Hitman should take 'im

I can't wait for this one.

Ricky Hatton is my favorite active fighter and he has been for a few years now. Hatton is a throwback, and he has that little hop in his step and a way about him in the ring that reminds me an awfully lot of my favorite all time fighter - Roberto Duran.

$19.95 is a bargain. The main event will be entertaining and the undercard features Ricky's little brother and also Carl Thompson.

The only way Carlos Maussa wins is on a cut.

Dan Gunter

I was impressed by Hatton's comments about fighting Mayweather. Hatton struck me as a surprisingly intelligent fighter. Obviously, he's also a very tough young man. Tszyu tagged him often enough to tell me that Hatton has a decent chin.

I haven't seen Maussa fight and thus am not making any predictions. But I hope to see this fight . . .

diggity1

I think you guys are discounting Maussa way too much. The guy has 300+ (or whatever) wins as an amateur & unlike most guys with a slightly "imperfect" record he has pretty good excuses for his losses. If anyone has seen more than one Maussa fight, you'd know the Maussa that showed up against Cotto wasn't the real deal. I'm not picking him to win but this guy isn't just puffed up stats fellas. This guy is durable, in-shape & fearless. Hatton may even have a tougher time against him than Tsyzu quite honestly. Both styles will play into eachother's hands. I'm looking forward to this fight big time.

I'm not picking Maussa to win but I have a feeling he'll lose by cuts. Either way I think this fight will end in cuts. The skin of Hatton may come into play with a fearless cracked out puncher like Maussa.

Todd Hodgson
    Cotto was patient, almost constantly moving backward and counterpunching. Hatton won't do that. I don't know anything about Maussa's loss to that journeyman.

Hey, if it's such a sure bet that Hatton wins, then drop $6,000 on him and go nuts with the easy grand you win!

Hatton's definitely the favorite, especially if it goes to the cards, but he hasn't been cut in a while himself. This is the second-best guy Hatton will have fought. I'm not as brave as Greg to put a hundred on Rubberman, but definitely $20. I'm looking forward to the fight.

gregbeyer
    whoooa....this fight is becoming debatable. when my men dig and todd checked in i really started to get the feeling this could be a barn burner. dig is right about one thing for sure...what i have seen of mausa is that he is fearless.

dig...you never cease to amaze me. you have to be one of the great sentinels of this sport. do you ever miss a fight?

todd....that 6k bet to make one is a scary prop when you put it that way but i suppose there will be guys doing that. a c-note to win 6 on a hunch is crazy enough. even crazier when i consider that if i make the bet i will still be rooting to lose it. kind of like the gamblers prayer...." lord, help me break even cause i need the dough"
    greg

diggity1
    thanks greg, I try not to miss too much
    This is a good fight to lose or win money on provided it ends within somewhat conclusive means.

Cotto did fight Maussa patiently but there was no zip to his punching windmill style that night. As noodly as his punches are, they were extra soggy that night. Supposedly he was pretty drained for the fight as well as going through either a death or sickness of someone close to him. As far as the other loss...from what I've heard Maussa was on the wrong end of a bad decision. Add this up with his amateur career, convincing wins over Resto & Harris and this guy doesn't look like such an accident.

apollack
    Maussa and his crappy, sloppy yet entertaining style is going to fall right into Hatton's hands, becauase Ricky is much better, stronger, and more skilled at the rough game than Maussa. And he isn't going to quit or get tired like Resto or Harris, or waste his time looking for a one punch knockout. He's going to bang away consistently with much shorter punches than Carlos, and his defense is better.

walsh b
    Hatton to wear the guy down, Ricky to me is the most exciting fighter in boxing with PBF, and his style is brilliant. It will take a real great fighter to beat Hatton...he's real class!!!

TKO Tom

Maussa struggled at the scales...

It took Carlos Maussa some time to hit 140 pounds at the scales yesterday. He initially scaled 140 1/4.

One thing I know if I know nothing else - When a guy struggles at the scales it's baaaaadd news.

ShawnTheBleeder

Re: Maussa struggled at the scales...

It worked out OK for Castillo!

This fight sounds interesting. Boxing is due for a swift kick in the nuts, and Maussa beating Hatton would provide just that. Maybe it would teach all these guys to get in the ring (Mayweather, Hatton) while they're hot?
    Shawn

Roberto Aqui

Struggle

[[[One thing I know if I know nothing else - When a guy struggles at the scales it's baaaaadd news.]]]]
    ==============

What struggle? Maussa had to lose a quarter lb and did so in 20 min. He could blow his nose, fart, and pick the lint out of his belly button to do that.

DEEAGLE

Re: Struggle

Hatton really nailed Maussa, a left hook from hell nearly took off his head. Hatton did'nt look as good as usual but that I.M.O was because Maussa is so awkward it's hard to look good against a guy like that. Hatton had to deal with blood coming from both his eyes due to head butts from Maussa. I believe Hatton is the 1st man to K.O Maussa, Cotto stopped Maussa on cuts but Hatton gunned him down. Well lets get ready for Cotto & Mayweather neither of which will be easy for Hatton. Should be a war with Cotto.

gregbeyer

Re: Struggle

i think ppf beats him but i don't give cotto much of a chance. a one shot ko over a guy like this mausa as got to give miguel cause for concern especially with the jigs his legs have been doing in recent fights.

the talk of a gatti fight does not appeal to me but i guess it makes sense from a promotional point of view. throwing gatti to the dogs again will put a lot of asses in chairs but i fear he is too shopworn to put up much resistance against a guy like hatton. retire arturo.
    greg

Roberto Aqui

Gatti

[[[the talk of a gatti fight does not appeal to me]]]]
    ============================

It was reported that Gatti was on a babyfood diet for the last month of Mayweather training so he could make the weight. I thought he was moving to 147 and fighting Damgaard in January. I just don't see Gatti at 140 again and I don't see Hatton in a nontitle fight.

DEEAGLE

Hatton vs PBF

Greg I agree with you at this point, I think he gets by Cotto, but loses to Floyd. But in Hattons defense Maussa is 1 awkward S.O.B & it's very difficult to look good fighting that type of fighter.

Kurant

Re: Hatton vs PBF

Do we REALLY need to see Gatti getting his ass beat again? I mean, if that fight actully came off, I'd absolutley watch it to see Gatti get humilated again by the competition he's constantly compared to. I mean, seriously, someone needs to think about that mans future as a functioning human being. Hatton would destroy him.

As for Cotto, I don't know. I just can't decide if he's shaky in the chin area, or he just fights without a brain sometimes. PBF, I'll say it again, no one, and I repeat, no one from 140-154 can beat him. Period. (Maybe Winky)

TKO Tom

To Roberto Aqui

I don't know why you have to be so condescending...

Maussa makes weight at third attempt

WBA junior-welterweight champion Carlos Maussa was forced to make three trips to the scales before eventually making the 10st limit for his unification clash with IBF titleholder Ricky Hatton on Saturday (Nov 26) night.

Whilst the 34 year-old Colombian scaled 139 3/4lbs at the third time of asking, Britain's most exciting fighter weighed in at a comfortable 139 1/4lbs at the first time of asking.

Roberto Aqui

Re: To Roberto Aqui

[[[I don't know why you have to be so condescending...]]]]
    ======================

And here I thought I had ascended out of the depths of the unparalled epic 20 min Maussa struggle to dump a Big Mac.

HEGrant

It's simply a matter of time until HBO recycles Gatti...he was not right for Mayweather, ect...they will throw him a few set up types at welter so that "Thunder" can knock them dead ... (Maybe Wilfredo Benetiez is making a comeback or Donald Cury) and sell it to his endlessly starving, never ready to admit the truth audience...mark my words..Gatti will fight for a title again and many will justify it because he sells...then again, so does the WWE

diggity1

Lighten up TKO Tom

I thought Roberto was funny

Gatti will get murdered by Hatton & for a good cause, Hatton can actually steal Gatti's audience unlike PBF.
    It would be a good mismatch for the sport for a change.
    Hatton KO 4 or 5.

gregbeyer

good point about stealing gatti's audience....but i wish arturo would just give it to him...i realy don't wanna see this.
    greg

Steve Coughlin

Hey Dig...

I was at the Gatti - Mayweather mugging and can tell you that Gatti's fans (and I count myself as one of them) gave The Hit Man a very warm welcome. As we were waiting to get into the Boardwalk Hall, Hatton & Frank Warren got into the back of the line. As Ricky came up I shouted "Blue Moon!". Right after that, a group of guys started chanting Ric-ky Hat-ton! You should have seen the smile it brought to his face. I GUARANTEE you that they'd sell out the Boardwalk for Hatton - Cotto or Hatton - Mayweather. Just my 2 cents, but Hatton KOs Cotto and he's a VERY live dog against PBF.

Gatti doesn't have a bigger fan than me and it hurts me to think he's going to fight again. His right hand hasn't been the same since the first Ward fight and I think his shoulder is mashed up as well. The worst thing that could happen to Arturo is for him to win convincingly against Damgaard and get a shot against Judah. There's no way he'll make 140 ever again, so if he gets another shot it'll be at Welter. And a Judah fight, I'm afraid, will be just as bad for Arturo as the Mayweather bout.

He's got nothing left to prove and has a ton of cash. If there was ever a guy that would take too much punishment for one last title it's Gatti. The last thing the sport needs is another Levander Johnson.

apollack

Re: Hey Dig...

I hear what you are saying Steve, and it may be moot now, but I don't count Gatti out against Judah. He isn't quite as slick as Floyd, and he has a quite questionable chin.

+ Reply to Thread