Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cal-Hop Results & Discussion 8/19 /'08

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Cal-Hop Results & Discussion 8/19 /'08

Cliff Rold, Crold on the board, will be doing the honors for us tonight. A big THANKS from the board! Cliff will do his usual job of extreme objectivity until he starts to care ....

Just kidding Cliff!

Please keep all discussion of this card to this thread. Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

vCash

Re: Cal-Hop Results & Discussion 8/19 /'08

Guys, if I can stay awake I'll try to chime in my two cents as well ... I've been so tired between a two year old that wakes me up every morning at 5:00 Am and a five year old that won't go to bed till close to 10 PM that I've been too tired to stay up for the last years bouts excluding Pav/Taylor 2 ... this bout is very interesting to me for several reasons and I'm gonna try ... if not , thank G-d for TVO ...

vCash

can't wait, can't wait!

vCash

They're in the ring. It's...

Ring Magazine Light Heavyweight titlist Bernard Hopkins (48-4, 32 KO)

vs.

World Super Middleweight Champion Joe Calzaghe (44-0, 32 KO)

Scheduled for 12 rounds.

Round One

Not an action packed round but Hopkins carries the day with a right hand at the halfway point...Hopkins leaned him forward, got him off balance qand landed a flush right...Joe not hurt but cautious from there.

Hopkins 10-8

Round Two

Slow, physical round...Calzaghe landed a couple low blows and landed more in the clinches...blocked the Hopkins right much better and landed a couple solid lefts.

Hopkins 19-18

Round Three

Another round of old school nasty...Hopkins walking Calzaghe into traps and lands some solid rights in the corner...calzaghe giving as good as he gets in the clinches...Close Hopkins round.

Hopkins 29-27

Round Four

Calzaghe lets his hands go more...eats some solid rights but lands a couple nice lefts down the stretch...fouls all over in the round with Cortez calling both to mid-ring to chastise. Narrow Calzaghe round.

Hopkins 38-37

Round Five
    Rinse, repeat...Calzaghe just throwing more and landing more, even if he's not landing as hard...hard to credit Hopkins for trying to stop a fight breaking out.

Even 47-47

Round Six

Hopkins lands a nice left hook on the ropes but it sucks when you can count the pucnhes thrown or landed on hands...Calzaghe forcing the action...lots of slaps but they connect often enough...Calzaghe flurries to end the frame.

Calzaghe 57-56

Round Seven

Calzaghe's most decisive based on landed shots but this isn't the U.S. debut he wanted...It is the Hopkins we all know...Calzaghe almost dropped at the bell with a counter right that caught him on the heels.

Calzaghe 67-65

Round Eight

Read the last few rounds...same thing...oddly entertaining show...[punchstats say Cal has doubled Hopkins up in lands and connects.

Calzaghe 77-74

Round Nine

Cal's best round and this is getting to be a rout...he's got Hopkins timed and is countering with short hooks when he's not leading.

Calzaghe 87-83

Round Ten

And the oscar goes to X...close round and best of the fight...X was looking tired but used a side fist slap to the top of the cup to buy five minutes to freshen up and proceeds to let his hands go for the first time in ages...May have stolen the frame.

Calzaghe 96-93

Round Eleven

Hopkins claims another foul but Cortez says BS and we get the best action of the bout...Calzaghe just throwing and landing more in another Joe round.

Calzaghe 106-102

Round Twelve

Calzaghe comes forward winging...Hopkins throws too early and then mauls down the stretch looking to steal the round with steps rather than punches...Easy Joe round.

Calzaghe 116-111 on the Cliff Rold card

Now to the cards that count...

114-113 Hopkins (Adelaide Byrd and FOR SHAME)
    115-112 Calzaghe
    116-111 Calzaghe
    Last edited by Crold1; 04-19-2008 at 06:17 PM.

vCash

This is the first time i have ever seen Hopkins game plan not working. Calzaghe speed is the difference. But it is close.

vCash

Max says he scores a round by who he would rather be at the end of the round, still a douche.

vCash

Why is the first round 10-8 for Hopkins? From the description it sounds like he landed one flush shot.

vCash

Calz got KD by a short straight shot.

vCash

B-Hop is acting the punk because he is getting his ass beat!

vCash

Calz is an all time great. Totally took B-Hop out of his game, unlike De La Hoya, Trinidad, Tarver. There is a reason he is 44 and 0.

vCash

Whatever the decision is Hopkins at 43 is one helluva boxer .

Hopkins looks to be in the low to mid 180# range

Like most Hopkins fights they aren't pretty. Hopkins was mostly a punch , lunge and clinch.

I haven't kept score but I'd say Joe won most of the rounds in the last half of the fight and probably edged it by a couple of points

vCash

Tough fight .. Bernard very cagey and tough but without shame , faking he was hurt by fouls twice in the hope of stealing points and definately stealing rest time, really disgusting ... an ulgy fight that Cal did win ....

vCash

kellerman is such a moron...

and for the record calzaghe was not down against eubank as kellerman kept saying.
    Last edited by bodyblow; 04-19-2008 at 06:26 PM.

vCash

Geez, Bernard likes to hold. I have had enough of it. His fights are simply too boring. Interesting and tactical, but not what I'd call action-packed. Bernard is a master at making people fight his fight, but his fight sucks.

vCash

B-Hop is great, but he didn't take Calz to school like he said, I feel more like Calz took Hop to school.

vCash

Man! I am glad that Joe won! I knew that Hopkins would fight an ugly, spoiling type of fight. B-Hop just lacks class- can never give his opponent credit, maybe he will finally go away. Compare him to Shane Mosley who accepted the decision in the Cotto fight w/class- when he had much more reason to gripe than B-Hop did.

vCash

I had it 8-4 in rounds for Calzaghe. He picked up the pace and it was too much. Hopkins has hit a lot of guys a lot harder below the belt than he was hit when he took the full 5. Streetwise move, but a bush league move. First time I've seen some dog in Hopkins since the first Robert Allen fight. He's had a good career and should stop fighting now. Many will not agree but Pavlik can stop Calzaghe. He can throw the same volume but has the detonator, fuse, and explosive power to get him. He'll look amateurish at times because of the speed difference but he would catch Calzaghe.

Administrator
    vCash

Amazing how Bhop does not have a fight in the last 5 years that you would willingly want to see again & this is no exception.

I am very impressed & equally as happy for Joe. He overcame a tough few early rounds & settled down, then came into his own. Joe's speed was a big surprise for Bhop & when Bhop's workrate slowed down, he had no answer for Zag's speed & movement. It was an ugly fight as many expected but I don't think most of the people out there expected Joe to hang in a tough fight like that. Once Joe loosened up, I thought it was pretty apparent it was Joe's fight to lose. All the kudos to Joe to do something that nobody has been able to do since RJJ which is beat Bhop convincingly. Joe should retire as IMO he has nothing else to prove. He is a shoo-in HOF boxer & should be recognized as such.

Bhop milked that low blow to an embarassing degree btw...take whatever advantage I guess....he is still an amazing fighter for his age & would still beat a lot of fighters half his age. Please give Calzaghe the credit he deserves. He is just flat out better than Hopkins.

vCash

RETIRE - Bernard, Joe Calzaghe & Joe Cortez...

HOPKINS by (spoiler) Dec...

Joe was never in charge, did not hurt BHop and was neutralised as Hopkins usually does. Cortez broke far, far too much. Calzaghe became his expected busier self, but too late in the fight and Bernard caught him with the right hand plenty & hurt him at least twice.

I too am sick of Hopkins, he's NO Throughback - they would destroy him and during the fight I kept thinking Hagler, Hearns & Leonard would have had an easy night also!

Calzaghe DID NOT DO ENOUGH to win as far as I'm concerned and as many of us that called for this fight 6 years ago, I really believe Joe would have won it then, faster, busier & more determined and would have "changed" the pace of Hopkins spoiler tactics.

RETIRE both of you and take Cortez with you!

vCash

Bernard, for all of his tough, ex-con, Philly, street talk tried to jive his way to a win. The alleged low blow was a tap and Hopkins acted like he was hit with a sledgehammer.

The fight went just how I thought it would for the most part. The only surprises were the ease of which Calzaghe dominated Hopkins - and the first round flash knockdown suffered by Calzaghe.

Good riddance Hopkins.

For the record I had it 117-111 Calzaghe.

vCash

I knew with some certainty the decision was Joe's when Bernard held a
    holding and running conference in round 12, he must have been gassed.
    (give him a break he's 43 years done)

Best thing about this fight......NOT PPV!!

vCash

I know B-Hop, he always treated me well, I respect him as a great fighter, but he lost the fight. The vote for him by the female judge is the proof of appointing people who have NO BUSINESS being at ringside, just to be politically correct.

I am very sorry but Joe Cortez DID NOT DO A GOOD JOB, he broke them PREMATURELY so much as he did in the Hatton V Mayweather fight that when one hand was free on either fighter where he should have stepped back and let them fight INSIDE, he did not. What the hell is with the Nevada commission, do they know anything about refereeing at all? Does anyone at ringside know on this planet or am I in the twilight zone alone forever. Please trust me, his commands in the ring are bad, he is out of shape, and he CONSISTENTLY breaks fighters at the wrong time, he CONSISTENTLY misses fouls, but he did RIGHT and I applaud him for not taking points away for Hopkins's academy winning performance for the tinkerbell low blows, which were totally unintentional.

In all fairness too, he let Joe rabbit punch quite a bit without a warning, and he let B-Hop's foul proof protector ride up too far all night long. Am I the only person left on earth that sees these things, what is the HBO crew watching? How can anyone complain about a fairy low blow with their cup up around their lower pecs,? while pulling the other guys head down.

Great job by B-Hop for just being there a la Archie Moore at 43 but the constant running and clinching, puuuuuleeeease. Bernie, you did not win this fight, sorry. You did great and I respect you tremendously for the first 4 rounds and you hung in there, but that act with the low blows diminished your rep as to balls.

PS Calzaghe has NO POWER. He is a game guy, with skill, confidence, conditioning and feather fisted hand speed, a winner, a puzzle solver but an Eagle among robins in this fistic world today, without Archie Moores, Bob Fosters, Mike Spinks, and Billy Conn.

Still, Bravo Joe, and congrats to you and your dad.

PS again, I think with all respect to Freddie Roach who I remember well as a very tough club fighter, John David Jackson a former top 10 middle should be the chief trainer as to in the ring experience, I could be wrong but he was much the more formidable trainer.

Same thing with Oscar's choice of Floyd Mayweathr SR, why? What reasoning is behind these choices, it is very strange to me. They have added nothing to these great fighters performances fight after fight giving them the same thing all the time. No puching power, no discernable improvement in their physique and power, and the same tactics all the time.

Time for a change before the show is over.

vCash

WOOOOPS, thought the judge was a female, so sorry, but still a horrible call.

vCash

Someone just said to me it was not a female, but I think that judge was, correct?

vCash

Well, I was wrong. I picked B-Hop because I thought he had something left. He looked old and tired after the fifth. Calzaghe gets my respect.

Administrator
    vCash

Bhop could not outhustle Taylor, why would he outhustle Calzaghe?

vCash

Close fight in which Calzaghe's greater activity took the cake. I wouldn't say either fighter has a right to say he took the other to school. Hopkins on my card after 6 was leading 3-2-1 in rounds but then his 43 year old arms and legs betrayed him. Calzaghe outworked him down the stretch, again showing his excellent stamina and great discipline. Calzaghe-Roy is on the table next (a PPV I certainly will not buy) but I think fights with Pavlik or Dawson would be attractive matchups.

vCash

I knew Hopkins would show "the dog " in him again when the fight wasn't going his way. But this time it was a low tap....and i mean tap that Hopkins complained about. My god! He acted like he was hit by a 2X4 to the nuts! Calzaghe touched him with the lace part of the glove.

Administrator
    vCash

Its gonna take BHop another 10 yrs to show anyone respect for his losses just like how it took him years to speak candidly about his loss to RJJ.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    Someone just said to me it was not a female, but I think that judge was, correct?
    Yes the judge that scored the fight for Hopkins is a woman.

Did anyone find out what Hopkins weighed coming through the ropes ? He looked well over 180 , quite something that he fought at 160 for so long.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast